Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 70 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2071 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 01:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Unfortunately I am going to have to get rid of my Rs46. I have a daughter that is actually due this Monday.

It was purchased from avs and I still have the original box and all. I probably will post it in the classifieds here soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2072 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 05:55 AM
Vao

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have specific question about the HDMI option.
What do you guys use most? Standart or Enhanced? And is it calibrated your PJ or not?

I cannot decide on which to stay. The picture is so good on standart mode but the shadows are very poor. when i switch to enhanced the shadows are great but the picture is a bit brighter.
post #2073 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 06:18 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post

oh, one question I thought of... being that brightness isn't as awesome as the Sony 55ES would it be best to mount it as close to the screen as possible? for a 120 inch screen 12 feet is the closest it can be and 16 is the midpoint with no zoom in either direction. with it 4 feet closer to the screen I'd have to be fully zoomed in and didn't know if there was any degradation by zooming in or out and whether I should try to keep it at 0 zoom as much as possible.

Question. Why do I get higher FL on the projector calculator using the JVC X35 compared to the Sony VPL-HW55ES? I am thinking about going with a 133" diagonal 2.35:1 screen with a throw distance of roughly 16'. For example, for a 1.0 gain screen I am getting 21 FL for the JVC and 14FL for the Sony. Is it due to "best mode" brightness? I know brightness as stated by the manufacturer can be misleading.

Thanks!
post #2074 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 06:23 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjay71 View Post

Question. Why do I get higher FL on the projector calculator using the JVC X35 compared to the Sony VPL-HW55ES? I am thinking about going with a 133" diagonal 2.35:1 screen with a throw distance of roughly 16'. For example, for a 1.0 gain screen I am getting 21 FL for the JVC and 14FL for the Sony. Is it due to "best mode" brightness? I know brightness as stated by the manufacturer can be misleading.

Thanks!

Because that calculator has errors in it. We don't know what numbers were input for lumens, but I know, often times it does not match up with actual projector performance.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #2075 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vao View Post

I have specific question about the HDMI option.
What do you guys use most? Standart or Enhanced? And is it calibrated your PJ or not?

I cannot decide on which to stay. The picture is so good on standart mode but the shadows are very poor. when i switch to enhanced the shadows are great but the picture is a bit brighter.

If you are using HDMI to Enhanced you must readjust your Contrast and Brightness to +10 and -6(or -7).
It is better to use patterns for Contrast and Brightness to do this.
post #2076 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 08:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

Help Please!

My RS46 stopped projecting this evening in the middle of watching a movie. The Standby/On LED went solid red, the Lamp LED was blinking yellow and the Warning LED was also solid red.

I checked the manual and this LED combination isn't explained.

I've had the projector in use for just over a year without issue. The filter is clean. There are 972 hours on the lamp and the unit. After 15 minutes or so of letting the unit sit I was able to turn it back on and it came up fine. The LED's continued in the above described pattern the entire time the unit was "resting" but when powered back on they returned to normal operation immediately.

Has anyone seen this before? Any suggestions on what I need to do?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Is it overheating perhaps?

Ok, I'll entertain the overheating theory...

Is there a way to verify that the LED combination is temperature related? (as mentioned I don't see it in the manual)
Is there any way to view the internal temp of the unit? (does the service menu show it?)

The projector has been in the same location and hasn't had any heat related issues even during the hot summer. Why now?

I'm really hoping someone can give me the explanation of the LED warning I saw and/or point me in the right direction for a resolution.

post #2077 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Advanced Member

Has no one had this happen? I was really hoping for some feedback or troubleshooting things to try before heading into the weekend?

post #2078 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 02:00 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 53
That's going to be tricky to diagnose without a service manual detailing the codes. If it wasn't overheating I would almost guess a power fluctuation. Has to be something like that since it started back up normally.

post #2079 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

That's going to be tricky to diagnose without a service manual detailing the codes. If it wasn't overheating I would almost guess a power fluctuation. Has to be something like that since it started back up normally.

Does anyone have a service manual or experience with this code?

I have had it running off of a true online, double conversion UPS for power so I doubt it's a power fluctuation. But I'll check out my UPS over the weekend for due diligence. Thanks for the thought.

post #2080 of 2357 Old 04-18-2014, 02:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I'm thinking of buying one of these used to tide me over for a while after my RS 20 developed the dreaded "magenta stripe". In reading through this thread, it seems the short bulb life problem was solved by the time the 46 was released as well as no optical block failures. It also throws every bit as much light as the RS 20 and probably considerably more. It also handles motion better and all colors meet or exceed the 709 triangle so it is calibrate-able. I have the CalMAN Enthusiast/C6/Lumagen package and it seems this projector is close enough OOTB that it will dial in really well with that.

So... what do I have to worry about?
post #2081 of 2357 Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
post #2082 of 2357 Old 04-19-2014, 04:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 343
The rest of your life. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #2083 of 2357 Old 04-19-2014, 04:15 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 118
Shoot, Mark. I was keeping it superficial and on the JVC topic...you went way deeper and got to what really matters. biggrin.gif
post #2084 of 2357 Old 04-19-2014, 02:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
This model been around more than a year and a half. How the new generation of light bulb been behaving with a promise life span of 4000 hr.? Have any one replaced his/her light bulb yet and at how many hours. Any input is welcome!
post #2085 of 2357 Old 04-19-2014, 03:11 PM

I am looking for a replacement for my old JVC HD950 and was wondering how this projector compares. I know the comparison based on numbers just looking for an overall impression between the 2.

Thanks
post #2086 of 2357 Old 04-20-2014, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post

This model been around more than a year and a half. How the new generation of light bulb been behaving with a promise life span of 4000 hr.? Have any one replaced his/her light bulb yet and at how many hours. Any input is welcome!

I'm at almost 500 hours and just popped in the calibration disc again and everything was as it should be but i did up the brightness just a tad, no big deal.

post #2087 of 2357 Old 04-20-2014, 07:44 PM
Advanced Member

Can someone who's been through a JVC warranty service please offer some guidance on how the process works and how long it takes?

My RS46 started exhibiting problems last week when it shut down in the middle of watching a movie and showed the LED error code of Standby/On - Solid Red, Lamp - Blinking yellow (2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes), and the Warning LED - Solid Red.

After allowing it to sit for 15 mins or so I was able to turn the power pack on and we resumed/finished watching our movie.

After posting here someone suggested it might be overheating. The ambient temperatures were normal and the filter/vents were clear so when I turned on the projector Friday night I paid special attention to the fan on startup. I've been running the projector for the past year+ with the lamp in normal mode and high altitude mode off so the the fan was running in "normal" mode. When I started the projector Friday with this configuration I noticed that the fan seemed extra quiet and the airflow was less than what I remembered. So I changed the high altitude setting to on which forced the fan into high speed. It did speed up, but it wasn't loud like I remembered originally... I would say it returned more to the normal fan speed and airflow that I remembered from low lamp/high altitude = off. So, my thought is that the fan was failing. We we able to watch our movie without issues on Friday however.

On Saturday, in the middle of watching a movie, the projector shut down with the same error code (and this time with high altitude = On).

Tonight I tried one more time and this time the unit turns on and as soon as the fan starts to spin up it shuts off again and the same error code comes on.

So, it appears I'm going to have to go through a warranty service claim for what I suspect is a bad fan.

I would appreciate some help on how to best navigate the warranty process. If anyone has a service manual or experience with the error code or a failed fan I would welcome your input as well.

Thanks!

post #2088 of 2357 Old 04-21-2014, 08:01 PM

Struggling with rs232...

I've had my rs46 for about two months now and am trying to get connected up via my controller software. I'll be doing this via rs232. Usually, with a protocol and correct hardware, I can get connected and commands to flow.

I haven't been able to get commands to work yet and was wondering if someone could help me with the actual ASCII string to send for a simple power on. With that command, I'm sure I can sort out how to transcode the codes from the manual.

I've trolled the forum for several nights, and have many redundant links tone protocols, but now quick examples.

Thankfully,

Russ
post #2089 of 2357 Old 04-21-2014, 08:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 189 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Are you using a null modem cable?
post #2090 of 2357 Old 04-21-2014, 08:53 PM

I am, and from the admin side of my control software, I can send a binary message of 21 89 01 50 57 31 0A, which will turn the projector on, so I know I have everything good hardware-wise. Trying to send the same command from the interface side (ASCII). results in no love.

Russ

Okay, just figured out that the interface side can also send binary, so I may be on my way now.

Yep, now have power on/off, and load 5 stored memory zooms. That's about all I need honestly. One step further in my quest.
post #2091 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 08:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a unit that I am testing and having a bit of a issue.

Using my PS3. Sometime when I go play a blu-ray. the x35 goes to the blank blue screen. When I check the info button it says it is receiving a 2188x1080 resolution.

If I switch from hdmi 1 to hdmi 2 then back to hdmi 1, it then displays the correct image.

Anyone else run in to this issue. I am trying to see if this a problem with my projector.

Thanks.
post #2092 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am planning on upgrading from an Epson 6500UB 100" 16:9 setup to a 125" 2.35:1 screen. I first did my research and decided to go the lens memory route, I simply don't have the inclination to spend thousands on either external lenses or motorized masking systems for that matter. All my reading pointed to the Panasonic AE8000 and the JVC RS46 as the two logical choices for PJs with lens memory, with the JVC being the established favorite for PQ by a wide margin. I contacted AVS and got a good quote and was getting ready to take the plunge when someone told me the Panasonic was being discounted heavily. In fact, with the current rebate it now sells for under $2K. This has made my decision harder, that is, figuring out if the more than one grand difference is worth it. Even if I determined it is, I get the feeling I should not pay more when true 4K projectors might be out in a couple of years. Any advice on my dilemma would be welcome.

I have another question on the lens memory feature. The reviews mention that the Panasonic has manual lens shift. Does that mean I have to reach th eunit and adjust the shift manually before changing lens memories? That does not make sense but wanted to get clarification.
post #2093 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 06:40 PM

I can't speak to the Panny (which by the way I had planned on buying for more than a year and changed plans in the last week), but since my jvc is mounted above the screen, both lens shift and zoom are required for my 120" CIH 2.35 setup.

With the jvc, both zoom and shift are motorized and I can store 5 memories. Now, picking the best 5 aspect ratios is the $64,000 question. Who knew directors used so many different AR's?

For the Panny, I know there's a manual lens shift. It may be that it's optics keep the center of image at the same point on screen if you zoom when you have lens shift applied. For the JVC, that only occurs if you have no lens shift applied. If lens shift is applied, center of image moves with zoom. Motorized zoom/shift/focus makes it all a snap, particularly with lens memory.

Russ
post #2094 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 08:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 699
now that I've owned the jvc with lens memory, it's a feature I won't live without!

it's not perfect though, it tends to drift a couple pixels from time to time, but still, it's so convenient. even just having the motorized controls helps a ton, since you can stand at the screen while making adjustments. with my old manual Epson, I'd have to make SEVERAL trips between projector and screen to make sure everything was lined up. it wasn't that bad then, because I only had to do it once(and then repeat whenever I bumped into it...).

but yeah, the lens memory definitely opens up a lot of options, and makes them easy enough to actually use. I rehung an old screen and now have one white and one grey screen, and have presets for each. I'd never have bothered to do that without lens memory since it would be such a hassle without it. but now it's not a big deal, and even though the grey screen doesn't make a huge difference, it's as easy as changing source input, so I use it for viewing in ambient light

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #2095 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post

now that I've owned the jvc with lens memory, it's a feature I won't live without!

it's not perfect though, it tends to drift a couple pixels from time to time, but still, it's so convenient.

I'd be more concerned about the focus staying focused through different lens memory positions. I assume it's not a problem?
post #2096 of 2357 Old 04-22-2014, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post

I'd be more concerned about the focus staying focused through different lens memory positions. I assume it's not a problem?
Along with lens zoom and lens shift, focus is one of the parameters that gets "remembered" in each of the lens memories. So, no, it shouldn't be a problem, because as the lens shifts and zooms, so does the focus (assuming you focused the projector properly when you saved that particular lens position).
post #2097 of 2357 Old 04-23-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Along with lens zoom and lens shift, focus is one of the parameters that gets "remembered" in each of the lens memories. So, no, it shouldn't be a problem, because as the lens shifts and zooms, so does the focus (assuming you focused the projector properly when you saved that particular lens position).

Yes, was not questioning the memory of the focus, was questioning how close it actually gets to that 'perfect' focus we do, on every memory position. Meaning, could you manually focus it a little better after each memory position?
post #2098 of 2357 Old 04-23-2014, 10:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 386 Post(s)
Liked: 699
Quote:

it's not a problem I've noticed, but I'd say it's a lot easier to notice a 1pixel shift than a small change in focus

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #2099 of 2357 Old 04-23-2014, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 250
Quote:

Yes, was not questioning the memory of the focus, was questioning how close it actually gets to that 'perfect' focus we do, on every memory position. Meaning, could you manually focus it a little better after each memory position?
Judging by how precise (or not) the lens zoom and lens shift memory functions are, I bet the focus could be improved upon manually after recalling a saved lens memory. That said, I bet any minor misfocus resulting from using the lens memories wouldn't be noticeable from your viewing position.
post #2100 of 2357 Old 04-23-2014, 11:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 210 Post(s)
Liked: 374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwa View Post

Judging by how precise (or not) the lens zoom and lens shift memory functions are, I bet the focus could be improved upon manually after recalling a saved lens memory. That said, I bet any minor misfocus resulting from using the lens memories wouldn't be noticeable from your viewing position.

I have never noticed a change in focus after using lens memory on a JVC or a Sony for that matter.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page