Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 76 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews > Display Devices > Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP > Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread

Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

ScottJ's Avatar ScottJ
11:43 AM Liked: 77
post #2251 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,527
Joined: Dec 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Agree with Walter. It's important to use a new lamp within the warranty/return period. Ask me how I know...
Well I'm guess I'm screwed :P my 4810 came with a spare lamp, almost a year ago now, still sitting in the box.
erkq's Avatar erkq
11:51 AM Liked: 98
post #2252 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 5,545
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
Well I'm guess I'm screwed :P my 4810 came with a spare lamp, almost a year ago now, still sitting in the box.
Well, if it's an original factory supplied bulb you're probably OK. It's just my cheapskate @$$ tried to get away with paying less and I paid the cheapskate price.
ScottJ's Avatar ScottJ
11:59 AM Liked: 77
post #2253 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,527
Joined: Dec 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well, if it's an original factory supplied bulb you're probably OK. It's just my cheapskate @$$ tried to get away with paying less and I paid the cheapskate price.
As in, the price of a damaged projector after the bulb exploded inside it?
erkq's Avatar erkq
12:21 PM Liked: 98
post #2254 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 5,545
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ View Post
As in, the price of a damaged projector after the bulb exploded inside it?
Hahaha... no, I wasn't that unfortunate. "As in" bulb became way too dim on little over 100 hours use... useless.

I now still buy cheap(er) but make sure it's a Phillips bulb (older RS20) and they've been working great. I get 16ftL off my 120" wide SMX AT screen! Cool!

But that really cheap bulb almost made me scrap my RS20. It developed the dreaded "magenta stripe" which I've never heard of being cause by a bulb. Another member pointed out that a bulb with bad thermal characteristics (uneven/hot) could bake the pj in bad, uneven ways. So... dodged that bullet.
mijotter's Avatar mijotter
12:38 PM Liked: 58
post #2255 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,189
Joined: Nov 2012
So which lamp is it?
erkq's Avatar erkq
12:43 PM Liked: 98
post #2256 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 5,545
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post
So which lamp is it?
I got this one, but it's for an RS20. Not much help here. Just thought I'd share my "cheap bulb really can be bad" experience.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PV1TIE/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1
mijotter's Avatar mijotter
12:51 PM Liked: 58
post #2257 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,189
Joined: Nov 2012
I'd hit the "thank you" button but it's gone after this HORRIBLE site update.
erkq's Avatar erkq
01:01 PM Liked: 98
post #2258 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 5,545
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post
I'd hit the "thank you" button but it's gone after this HORRIBLE site update.
You mean like I did for you? I did it just to figure it out. It's a "like" button now... toward the upper right of the post... little letters... "like"... pretty lame.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99
01:37 PM Liked: 20
post #2259 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 3,313
Joined: Aug 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
Or buy a new one, install it and keep the old one as a spare in case you ever have a lamp failure.
Ah now THATS good thinking! I am indeed concerned with using the new bulb within the warranty period. My last projector was the RS40, and it never had a bulb last over 700 hours, so needless to say I am gun shy.

I thought about buying elsewhere for around $80 cheaper than the AVS price, I know it's a real JVC bulb, but it only has a 14 day warranty. Seems like any time I try saving a buck in this hobby I get screwed, so I'll likely go with AVS.
erkq's Avatar erkq
01:58 PM Liked: 98
post #2260 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 5,545
Joined: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
...

I thought about buying elsewhere for around $80 cheaper than the AVS price, I know it's a real JVC bulb, but it only has a 14 day warranty. Seems like any time I try saving a buck in this hobby I get screwed, so I'll likely go with AVS.
My Amazon vendor gives a 6 month warranty and you can add a 2 year warranty for $10 more. But, then, who the heck is "win9999" and how long will they be around? We all know who AVS is and that they're going to be here.
mijotter's Avatar mijotter
04:03 PM Liked: 58
post #2261 of 2414
06-12-2014 | Posts: 1,189
Joined: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
You mean like I did for you? I did it just to figure it out. It's a "like" button now... toward the upper right of the post... little letters... "like"... pretty lame.
Thank you for letting me know there's no "thank you" button now. And yep very lame.
richmond5's Avatar richmond5
12:38 PM Liked: 13
post #2262 of 2414
06-13-2014 | Posts: 627
Joined: Feb 2000
Just curious, what is JVC light bulb's warranties with X35?
walterappleby's Avatar walterappleby
01:54 PM Liked: 76
post #2263 of 2414
06-13-2014 | Posts: 590
Joined: Apr 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by richmond5 View Post
Just curious, what is JVC light bulb's warranties with X35?

"The lamp warranty is now 1 year/1,000 hours"
http://www.procision.jvc.com/product...Id=140&page=12
richmond5's Avatar richmond5
03:04 PM Liked: 13
post #2264 of 2414
06-13-2014 | Posts: 627
Joined: Feb 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
"The lamp warranty is now 1 year/1,000 hours"
http://www.procision.jvc.com/product...Id=140&page=12
Under what curcumstances and condition of the lamp can it be replaced?
gravi's Avatar gravi
06:00 PM Liked: 13
post #2265 of 2414
06-15-2014 | Posts: 142
Joined: Feb 2007
I have had my RS46 for a couple of weeks now, paired with a 125" 2.35 Carada BW screen. I was using an Epson 6500UB for the past several years along with a 16:9 Da-Lite screen. I figured this will be an upgrade. But leaving the scope screen aside, the JVC itself is simply stunning. I realize now the fact that contrast is the biggest vow factor to an HT experience and just how much difference it can make, given the right viewing environment.

I read somewhere that the only way to possibly top the picture on this PJ is to add Darbee processing (via Darblet or Oppo). I am not sure about this and want to know if any members can quote first hand experience on whether it is worth an upgrade?
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
12:37 AM Liked: 1180
post #2266 of 2414
06-16-2014 | Posts: 5,183
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
I have had my RS46 for a couple of weeks now, paired with a 125" 2.35 Carada BW screen. I was using an Epson 6500UB for the past several years along with a 16:9 Da-Lite screen. I figured this will be an upgrade. But leaving the scope screen aside, the JVC itself is simply stunning. I realize now the fact that contrast is the biggest vow factor to an HT experience and just how much difference it can make, given the right viewing environment.

I read somewhere that the only way to possibly top the picture on this PJ is to add Darbee processing (via Darblet or Oppo). I am not sure about this and want to know if any members can quote first hand experience on whether it is worth an upgrade?
I'm just speculating a bit based on the research I did, but it doesn't seem like the type of product ppl buy on a whim. they buy it because they know they are going to like it. I certainly didn't find too many ppl who purchased one and didn't like it and didn't use it. but I had heard some ppl comment that they have viewed one and wouldn't buy one themselves.


there's some good reviews on it around these forums, with some great comparison photos, so you should be able to judge for yourself. it does appear to have a significant affect on the image, so you should be able to decide if you like the extra 'detail' or find it artificial looking. and remember it's processing is adjustable, so you can dial in the desired amount too.


I thought it looked pretty interesting, but there was better places I could spend the money in my room. like a new screen so I don't see so much texture!
MX48's Avatar MX48
05:11 AM Liked: 33
post #2267 of 2414
06-16-2014 | Posts: 445
Joined: Nov 2006
Here is my opinion on the Darby.


Where it really makes a big difference to me is in static scenes, specifically when there is a close up of a persons face during dialog. I find it worth every penny for that alone. If you are viewing a moving scene it will be hard if not impossible to tell any difference in the darby/no darby pic.
An example in sports would be during a football play you probably would not notice much difference, but when the play is over and they cut to a closeup of a player/coach's face there is a large difference (for me).


I run mine on HD at 40.


I am using it on an RS4800.


As always, YMMV.


Hope this helps,
Moto
jeahrens's Avatar jeahrens
03:15 PM Liked: 73
post #2268 of 2414
06-16-2014 | Posts: 1,030
Joined: Dec 2005
I have a Darbee hooked up to my system and really like it. It seems to add detail to about any scene (I run mine at 35 I believe). It's certainly not a gimmick. It really does work and looks great. Unfortunately some of the demos run with the unit cranked to far up and it can look fake. Setup right it is well worth it.
blah450's Avatar blah450
04:58 AM Liked: 119
post #2269 of 2414
06-17-2014 | Posts: 911
Joined: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MX48 View Post
Here is my opinion on the Darby.


Where it really makes a big difference to me is in static scenes, specifically when there is a close up of a persons face during dialog. I find it worth every penny for that alone. If you are viewing a moving scene it will be hard if not impossible to tell any difference in the darby/no darby pic.
An example in sports would be during a football play you probably would not notice much difference, but when the play is over and they cut to a closeup of a player/coach's face there is a large difference (for me).


I run mine on HD at 40.


I am using it on an RS4800.


As always, YMMV.


Hope this helps,
Moto
Yup...nice way of communicating the effect. Would agree with this performance description relative to my RS46/Darbee set-up. Ditto on the setting...35-40.
dschulz's Avatar dschulz
11:56 PM Liked: 60
post #2270 of 2414
06-21-2014 | Posts: 151
Joined: Nov 2011
I have a really noob question, but I've been searching and can't find the answer:

What is the difference (if any) between the RS46 and X35 ?
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
10:52 AM Liked: 1180
post #2271 of 2414
06-22-2014 | Posts: 5,183
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dschulz View Post
I have a really noob question, but I've been searching and can't find the answer:

What is the difference (if any) between the RS46 and X35 ?
don't laugh...


the RS46 has a gold trim ring around the lens. the x35 has a silver one.




the RS line is sold through 'boutique' dealers. it's the pro-line, but I've never seen any indication that it's actually made to different standards, or has a higher value.
DavidHir's Avatar DavidHir
12:34 PM Liked: 493
post #2272 of 2414
06-22-2014 | Posts: 10,676
Joined: Dec 2004
Doesn't the RS line carry an extra year warranty?
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
04:49 PM Liked: 1180
post #2273 of 2414
06-22-2014 | Posts: 5,183
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Doesn't the RS line carry an extra year warranty?
maybe, but I didn't think so. I thought that was Epson. like the 5030 has one year, and the 6030 is 500bux more, but has 2yrs and a spare bulb.


I guess another difference is the x35 was available in white or black.


I could have sworn the price for the rs46 was the same as the price for the x35 and that was 'confirmation' to my research that they were functionally identical. I did a fair bit of check before I bought my x35. I'd hate to buy a 'lower quality' product, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on anything with the rs46 .


I just checked(briefly) and found claims for a 2y warranty for both the x35 and rs46
Schwa's Avatar Schwa
06:01 PM Liked: 318
post #2274 of 2414
06-22-2014 | Posts: 2,095
Joined: Nov 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Doesn't the RS line carry an extra year warranty?
That's the X500 vs the RS4910 and the X900 vs the RS6710. In other words, the RSxx10 models have the extra year of warranty.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99
11:42 PM Liked: 20
post #2275 of 2414
06-23-2014 | Posts: 3,313
Joined: Aug 2002
I never get updates on AVS threads anymore lol.


Count me as another satisfied Darby user. I bought it figuring I could return in within the 30 day return window, there was no need. As another guy said, on static scenes the difference can be quite huge. The scene I 1st tested was the beginning of Rocky Balboa(it was in the player), where Rock is sitting by his wife's grave. There are trees in the background, with the Darbee off, they are blurry, when turned on, the branches became extremely clear and defined. I threw up several test patterns to see if it introduced any sharpening artifacts, at the proper level, there are none. I find the proper level to be at 45%, no higher than 55%.


Only use HD mode, full pop introduces black crush, and harms shadow detail.
plissken99's Avatar plissken99
11:56 PM Liked: 20
post #2276 of 2414
06-23-2014 | Posts: 3,313
Joined: Aug 2002
Also I just read something I'd forgotten. The lamps are rated for 3000 hours in high lamp, or 4,000 in low. Mine is in low except when I watch a 3D movie, which averages to like once a month. Am I jumping the gun in replacing the lamp? Because it's only at 3,160 hours, and looks plenty bright. Wish I could get rid of the lamp replacement warning without resetting the hours.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5
08:04 AM Liked: 630
post #2277 of 2414
06-24-2014 | Posts: 8,993
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
Doesn't the RS line carry an extra year warranty?

No. Just the installer versions. Those ending in 10 have extra perks. The 4910 has an extra year of warranty, ISF certified and an extra inspection from JVC. The RS6710 has extra warranty (5 years) and a spare lamp over the RS67.
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5
08:06 AM Liked: 630
post #2278 of 2414
06-24-2014 | Posts: 8,993
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi View Post
I have had my RS46 for a couple of weeks now, paired with a 125" 2.35 Carada BW screen. I was using an Epson 6500UB for the past several years along with a 16:9 Da-Lite screen. I figured this will be an upgrade. But leaving the scope screen aside, the JVC itself is simply stunning. I realize now the fact that contrast is the biggest vow factor to an HT experience and just how much difference it can make, given the right viewing environment.

I read somewhere that the only way to possibly top the picture on this PJ is to add Darbee processing (via Darblet or Oppo). I am not sure about this and want to know if any members can quote first hand experience on whether it is worth an upgrade?
Darbee is a nice addition to a JVC RS46. I used a Darbee with my RS45 for a couple years. Now using the Darbee with VW600ES. Give me a call if you would like to talk about the differences I saw with the Darbee on the JVC.
fierce_gt's Avatar fierce_gt
02:55 PM Liked: 1180
post #2279 of 2414
06-24-2014 | Posts: 5,183
Joined: Sep 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
No. Just the installer versions. Those ending in 10 have extra perks. The 4910 has an extra year of warranty, ISF certified and an extra inspection from JVC. The RS6710 has extra warranty (5 years) and a spare lamp over the RS67.
I always wondered about those models. although it was actually more the 4810 that I was interested about. seemed like those ones were always CHEAPER, and I wondered if they were stripped down versions. amazing that they are actually improved models!
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar AV Science Sales 5
06:59 PM Liked: 630
post #2280 of 2414
06-24-2014 | Posts: 8,993
Joined: Sep 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I always wondered about those models. although it was actually more the 4810 that I was interested about. seemed like those ones were always CHEAPER, and I wondered if they were stripped down versions. amazing that they are actually improved models!
Might want to check with us this fall, when we do the preorders for the new JVC's.
Tags: Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector

Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Subscribe to this Thread

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3