Old 09-30-2014, 11:39 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcap View Post
Bump
The RS46U has always been available for under $2,800, but not from authorised retailers. Whether or not this matters for the warranty (I have an email from JVC saying that legally it cannot), and whether it matters to you is your decision.

My personal opinion is that the AVS Forum store has some of the best prices on these sorts of products, combined with excellent advice and customer service. It was the sales tax that killed it for me, or I'd have bought from them myself.

I was in a similar situation to you in that I couldn't stretch to more than the price of an RS46/X35, though I was coming from nothing having never owned a projector before.

My viewing environment is similar to yours, in that I view 95% movies, in absolute darkness, with some measures to control reflected light getting back onto the screen. My screen is 2.35:1 115" diagonal, and I have black velvet masking panels for viewing 16:9 content.

I'm not using an Oppo Player, but I do have a Darbee in series, so there are similarities here too.

I cannot comment on the difference between your old Panasonic unit and the RS46U, or the improvements of the newer units. What I can say however, is that for the price, there is almost nothing to compare to the entry level JVC projectors, and it's a shame that they're not being updated.

I went DIY for my screen, and used Black Out Cloth as the base because I found it easier to work with than trying to transport a large sheet of something else. I tested several different screen paints including about 10 different mixes of Silver Fire, and a few different blends of Black Widow. You can probably find the results of my testing by searching for posts by me, but to summarise...

Black Widow - Looked to be a good option whereby the overall colour of the screen was a totally neutral grey, but the embedded fine aluminium particles boosted the gain enough to counteract the loss of light, effectively improving contrast slightly.

I found that the new Aluminium paint formula didn't provide the gains that the older one had done, and the result was no different to just using the base grey without it. In other words, it was just a plain neutral grey screen.

Silver Fire - Promised impressive screen gain, which would allow it to be used in a room with ambient light. Darker versions promised to act like a darker grey screen but with gain to compensate; similar to Black Widow, but more effective.

I wasn't that interested in viewing with ambient light, but I tested lighter and darker Silver Fire mixes. I found a very slight blue colour shift, but nothing that couldn't be calibrated out on the projector, and to be honest, some fairly impressive gain for a paint solution.

My issue with Silver Fire was that I could see a sparkly structure in the paint at my viewing distance (90" / 7 1/2' / 2 Screen Heights), and I found this objectionable. For the right viewing environment however, I think it's an acceptable compromise.

After all of my testing, I ended up coming to the same conclusion that most experts do... The best screen is one which is neutral, and is either totally white, or very slightly grey. Then all you need to do is to make sure that your viewing environment is the best it can be with walls, ceiling and floor covered and / or painted with finishes that do not reflect light back onto the screen.

If you cannot have an optimal viewing environment, there are screens that can help improve the situation, but they compromise elsewhere.

I therefore improved my viewing environment, and stuck with plain old Black Out Cloth, which is neutral, and has a gain of about 0.9.

I hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2014, 01:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
So when I bought this projector, I didn't even bother with 3D because i hate it and could careless about it(still stand by that). However I bought the Friday the 13th box set(GREAT set btw). And my friend really wants to watch the 3rd one in 3D. The box set came with the old cardboard glasses. Would I need the 3d emitter for this projector and subsequent 3D glasses other than the cardboard ones?

If so, what is the current price of the emitter and where can I find one fro cheap?
People are talking about the Samsung 3D glasses for $20 a pair which is fine, where would I find those at that price?

Thanks a lot guys.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post
So when I bought this projector, I didn't even bother with 3D because i hate it and could careless about it(still stand by that). However I bought the Friday the 13th box set(GREAT set btw). And my friend really wants to watch the 3rd one in 3D. The box set came with the old cardboard glasses. Would I need the 3d emitter for this projector and subsequent 3D glasses other than the cardboard ones?

If so, what is the current price of the emitter and where can I find one fro cheap?
People are talking about the Samsung 3D glasses for $20 a pair which is fine, where would I find those at that price?

Thanks a lot guys.
Pretty positive you won't need anything if the set came with those Red/Blue glasses. I remember watching a 3D episode of Home Improvement in the 90's with a pair of them. Play it and see if it has red/blue shadows or if its blurry like regular 3D.

Amazon has the Samsung Glasses for $16.09!! I'm sure one of the AVS sales guys could cut you a good price on the Emitter.
Old 10-18-2014, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by mijotter View Post

Thanks a lot guys.
spend $30 and avoid the suffering of those Red/Blue glasses, I don't know how people watched 3D with those..

Friday 13th 3D bluray - $8.56

Xpand 3D RF glasses + Emitter - $19.99 (it says Mitsubishi, they work perfect on the JVC)
Old 10-18-2014, 07:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post
spend $30 and avoid the suffering of those Red/Blue glasses, I don't know how people watched 3D with those..

Xpand 3D RF glasses + Emitter - $19.99 (it says Mitsubishi, they work perfect on the JVC)

O wow that emitter work with this projector? crazy. Do I even need an emitter for that Friday the 13th movie?

Old 10-18-2014, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked: 394
yes, that kit is a bargain, it includes an RF emitter that is compatible with a number of difference RF glasses. JVC, Epson, Sony, Xpand, etc.

Xpand RF glasses are on the left, Epson upper right, Sony lower right

none of this is required for the red / blue setup, just play it in 2D but I have to imagine it's going to look awful from what I remember in the 80's when some VHS tapes would come with the glasses.

There are some amazing documentaries filmed in Imax 3D that are worth checking out. It's only $20 for the kit so it's worth picking up just to see some real 3D.
mijotter likes this.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Is there a lens of any sort to shorten up the throw distance?
Old 10-22-2014, 09:41 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post
Is there a lens of any sort to shorten up the throw distance?
Not a lens from JVC but AVS has recommended the Navitar HD Screenstar. They have both 0.8x and 0.65x lenses that shorten the throw by those amounts. HDSSW065 and HDSSW08

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC

Last edited by jjcook; 10-22-2014 at 09:45 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Is there a difference between the HDSSW08 and the SSW08?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:55 PM

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 22
The HD models are larger (and even more $$), as I understand the non-HD model is not large enough for a short throw for the JVC, although I haven't tested the non-HD variant to be sure of that, especially if you're not trying to use the full reduction the lens provides (by not fully zooming the projector).

- Jeff

WTB: PSA XS15 or XS15se, PM me.

Small HT: JVC RS4910, Mits HC7900DW, Falcon 2.35:1 100-wide, Marantz SR7008, Triad Gold Omni SE & Silver Surrounds, PSA XS15-base, Oppo 103D, Tivo Mini, HTPC
Old 10-25-2014, 05:56 PM
AVS Special Member

To anyone interested, I've got my RS46 up for sale on the classifieds, $2500 with 3D emitter, 3 pairs of Samsung glasses, and chief mount, as well as the original box, remote and manual.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

Last night I had a serious problem with my DLA, and I'd like to know if you have experienced something similar.
I see a lightened circle shadow starting from the top to the bottom of my screen. The more light the scene is having the more obvious it is. I have only 200 hours on the lamp and I tried everything (iris, brightness etc). I notice that it's getting smaller when I decrease the lens aperture, but that's all.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jvcspots.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	861.3 KB
ID:	340185  

11.2 Audiophile/HT use : Denon 4520 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen2 | Dunlavy SC-IV | Dunlavy SC I CC | Tannoy DC2 | B&W M1 | Yamaha SB | Velodyne 18 SG | Phono Denon PF300 | Denon BPT 3313 UI | PS3 | JVC 3D RS46U PRO | 120'' Dalite | Toshiba 47'' Cinema | Tivo 4 | Windows 2012 Media Server | XBMC PC |...
Old 10-30-2014, 12:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by emperorphobos View Post
Hello everyone,

Last night I had a serious problem with my DLA, and I'd like to know if you have experienced something similar.
I see a lightened circle shadow starting from the top to the bottom of my screen. The more light the scene is having the more obvious it is. I have only 200 hours on the lamp and I tried everything (iris, brightness etc). I notice that it's getting smaller when I decrease the lens aperture, but that's all.
What is a "lightened circle shadow"? The only circle I can see on your image is the red line drawn over it.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:30 PM

You are right this image is not so clear. Here is another one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dlspot2.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	855.5 KB
ID:	340625  

11.2 Audiophile/HT use : Denon 4520 | Emotiva XPA5 Gen2 | Dunlavy SC-IV | Dunlavy SC I CC | Tannoy DC2 | B&W M1 | Yamaha SB | Velodyne 18 SG | Phono Denon PF300 | Denon BPT 3313 UI | PS3 | JVC 3D RS46U PRO | 120'' Dalite | Toshiba 47'' Cinema | Tivo 4 | Windows 2012 Media Server | XBMC PC |...
Old 11-03-2014, 12:19 PM

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post
Can someone who's been through a JVC warranty service please offer some guidance on how the process works and how long it takes?

My RS46 started exhibiting problems last week when it shut down in the middle of watching a movie and showed the LED error code of Standby/On - Solid Red, Lamp - Blinking yellow (2 flashes, pause, 2 flashes), and the Warning LED - Solid Red.

After allowing it to sit for 15 mins or so I was able to turn the power pack on and we resumed/finished watching our movie.

After posting here someone suggested it might be overheating. The ambient temperatures were normal and the filter/vents were clear so when I turned on the projector Friday night I paid special attention to the fan on startup. I've been running the projector for the past year+ with the lamp in normal mode and high altitude mode off so the the fan was running in "normal" mode. When I started the projector Friday with this configuration I noticed that the fan seemed extra quiet and the airflow was less than what I remembered. So I changed the high altitude setting to on which forced the fan into high speed. It did speed up, but it wasn't loud like I remembered originally... I would say it returned more to the normal fan speed and airflow that I remembered from low lamp/high altitude = off. So, my thought is that the fan was failing. We we able to watch our movie without issues on Friday however.

On Saturday, in the middle of watching a movie, the projector shut down with the same error code (and this time with high altitude = On).

Tonight I tried one more time and this time the unit turns on and as soon as the fan starts to spin up it shuts off again and the same error code comes on.

So, it appears I'm going to have to go through a warranty service claim for what I suspect is a bad fan.

I would appreciate some help on how to best navigate the warranty process. If anyone has a service manual or experience with the error code or a failed fan I would welcome your input as well.

Thanks!

Hi I have the same issue with my DLA-X35.
What was your fix? I just bought my unit 3 months ago.

Thanks
Old 11-03-2014, 03:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothygh View Post
Hi I have the same issue with my DLA-X35.
What was your fix? I just bought my unit 3 months ago.

Thanks
I ended up having to send it in to Mendtronix for repair. It was diagnosed with a bad ballast that in turn caused lamp damage. The ballast was repaired under warranty and after a few emails/phone calls I got JVC to replace the lamp under warranty as well.

Old 11-04-2014, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Need help with the gamma setting. My gamma setting is gray out means I cannot set it. I was able to . What did I do to make the Gamma setting being gray out! Thanks for any advice!
Old 11-06-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
How often do you have to clean the filter? the manual doesn't specify a length of time. thanks in advance..

X-35 model

Last edited by taxman48; 11-07-2014 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 12:24 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxman48 View Post
How often do you have to clean the filter? the manual doesn't specify a length of time. thanks in advance..

X-35 model
When it gets dusty. Just check it after a few weeks or a month and see how much dust accumulates.
Old Yesterday, 11:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

Awesome...I came to this thread looking for this exact information. I want to buy this but I want at least a second pair of the glasses. Does anyone know where to get a spare pair? I can only seem to find it as a set with the emitter. Thanks.

EDIT - NVM, found them - http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-X10...qid=1417027032

Anyone else have suggestions for reasonably priced emitter & glasses that work well?

Joe
Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Got the JVC emitter for my birthday and bought the Panasonic glasses from Amazon at $40. per pair.. No problem syncing up.

The model is:

TY-ER 3D 4MU

hope this helps..

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com