Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 82 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
post #2431 of 2457 Old 02-17-2015, 12:55 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezil View Post
Still sticking with the low budget approach, I'd perhaps cover the first 3 feet of the walls and ceiling with black velvet, and the following 3 ~ 6 feet of the walls with a flat black cloth. Your ceiling is already going to be black, so it won't need anything past the velvet. You can staple, velcro, glue or otherwise hang the cloth, but keep in mind that velvet is quite heavy.

Jo-Ann Fabrics sells black velvet, and they have a black cloth called 'Home Essentials' that I think I used. I also found that Ikea makes some great black curtains that are cheap, called 'Ritva'. I used these with their 'Dignitet' hanging wire to rig up a kind of black tent around my screen.

Found this on Jo-Ann Fabrics. Look familiar?

Here is some velvet fabric as well. Red may look really classy around the screen.

This is the dignitet wire you were talking about.

Can I ask some questions?

That dignitet wire seems to run 16 feet, which is great. Can I use that to run atop a 16 foot wall and then simply hang flat black fabric from one end to the other? This will take care of the side walls.

Around the screen I would run the same dignitet for black fabric behind the screen wall. However, I would like to hang red velvet drapes on either side of the screen. Would I use another dignitet for that, simply attaching the velvet to the wire?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2432 of 2457 Old 02-17-2015, 05:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 72
Anyone here using CalMan can answer this? Search has turned up nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

I have CalMan 5.2.3 and was able to AutoCal using the RS232 port, but I saw an option for Ethernet in the software. I know the SpectraCal documentation says we must use RS232 for internal patterns (JVC limitation) but just wanted to make sure this was still true. Is the LAN connection supported for AutoCal or not?

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #2433 of 2457 Old 02-17-2015, 08:27 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein View Post
Found this on Jo-Ann Fabrics. Look familiar?

Here is some velvet fabric as well. Red may look really classy around the screen.

This is the dignitet wire you were talking about.

Can I ask some questions?

That dignitet wire seems to run 16 feet, which is great. Can I use that to run atop a 16 foot wall and then simply hang flat black fabric from one end to the other? This will take care of the side walls.

Around the screen I would run the same dignitet for black fabric behind the screen wall. However, I would like to hang red velvet drapes on either side of the screen. Would I use another dignitet for that, simply attaching the velvet to the wire?
The fabric from Jo-Ann's might be correct, but to be honest, I don't remember what it was called, and wouldn't know again unless I actually touched it. If you're going to Ikea for the Dignitet wire, you should probably pick up the black curtains from them as well.

Ready made curtains are made flat, with strings that you pull to make them sort of bunch up. I didn't pull the strings, and actually cut off the header tape altogether. I folded over the edges, and ironed about 3/4" hem, bonded with heat bonding tape. It's held together well for around 2 years now, and it's much cheaper than paying someone to sew a hem, or buying a sewing machine to do it yourself.

The Dignitet wire is desgined, I believe, to be used with the Riktig curtain hooks and clips. If you've kept the header tape, you'd use the hooks I think. If you've hemmed the edge like I did, you'd use the clips.

I ordered the additional corner bracket for the Dignitet wires, so the edges of my curtains go around the screen wall up to the screen as well, but I suppose you could use a third wire for that wall.

The wall covering behind the screen won't have much affect on the image on the screen, but a darker material will improve the perception of black. If the black you're achieving for other reasons isn't great, it could be argued that a lighter screen wall is better!

I didn't use velvet for the walls and ceiling, because it's just too heavy to hang really. It's also expensive in large sizes! Velvet might be better still, but like I said, when you start treating the room, small changes have a big impact. The difference between velvet and cheaper, lighter, black cloth will be quite small; the difference between any black cloth and no cloth at all will be huge.

If you're following all of this, you'll be re-creating almost exactly what I have in my living room. I found my post that I was looking for that has images:Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread. I have since improved on this slightly, by adding a sort of 'hood', which I made from the Jo-Ann's cloth. This covers the area above the screen up to the curtain wire, and out from the screen by about 2'. This did improve things again, even though my ceiling is very high, those first reflections off the screen are what really needs absorbing.

That's enough typing on the forums for today... I'm off to watch a 3D Blu-ray. It's going to be either Boxtrolls, Sin City 2, or Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
post #2434 of 2457 Old 02-17-2015, 11:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 89
Nezil,

Thank you so much for the tips, and through the photos, inspiring me to try to do this myself.
post #2435 of 2457 Old 02-18-2015, 02:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Can anyone explain what is the function of " Color Management" under " Advanced". Many thanks!
post #2436 of 2457 Old 02-25-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Where do you all suggest placing the darbee right before the projector or Avr?

Also around what settings worked best for you
post #2437 of 2457 Old 02-25-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Gaming lag?

Any PS4 owners on here that could comment on whether there is noticeable lag with games on the X35?

(apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread)
post #2438 of 2457 Old 02-25-2015, 05:19 PM
AVS Special Member

There is lag of course. I only really noticed it in fps games to be honest. So if your a die hard cod fan and get mad when you get killed a projector might not be for you
post #2439 of 2457 Old 02-25-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked: 1232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121 View Post
There is lag of course. I only really noticed it in fps games to be honest. So if your a die hard cod fan and get mad when you get killed a projector might not be for you
a JVC projector might not be for him. but I think the benq w1070 is under 20ms of lag, which kicks the butt of 90% of the flat panels on the market today

x35 is right around 80ms iirc, which is right at that point of being noticeable, and troublesome for 'twitch' games. I actually don't even notice it with FPS, but I'm that guy with the 1/10 K/D ratio at the best of times, so I generally don't even bother with online gaming. the campaign against the computer works just fine for me.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #2440 of 2457 Old 02-26-2015, 09:00 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
a JVC projector might not be for him. but I think the benq w1070 is under 20ms of lag, which kicks the butt of 90% of the flat panels on the market today

x35 is right around 80ms iirc, which is right at that point of being noticeable, and troublesome for 'twitch' games. I actually don't even notice it with FPS, but I'm that guy with the 1/10 K/D ratio at the best of times, so I generally don't even bother with online gaming. the campaign against the computer works just fine for me.
Thanks. I don't do online FP games, and am not a harcore gamer in that regard. Just hoping it wouldn't be annoying with the 80ms lag on general single player games.
post #2441 of 2457 Old 02-27-2015, 04:27 AM
AVS Special Member

No single player is not that bad. But when I first got my JVC I was getting dizzy it was so big at 133 inches lol I fealt like I was actually in the world
post #2442 of 2457 Old 02-27-2015, 07:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No single player is not that bad. But when I first got my JVC I was getting dizzy it was so big at 133 inches lol I fealt like I was actually in the world
i would agree with this. certain games were rough on the eyes. the size along with the relatively poor motion made some stuff tough to handle

post #2443 of 2457 Old 03-01-2015, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmendis View Post
Any PS4 owners on here that could comment on whether there is noticeable lag with games on the X35?

(apologies if this was covered earlier in the thread)
I am a near-hardcore racing gamer, and my experience with F1 racing (PS4) was good … not enough lag to detract from the enjoyment on such a massive screen. Hard-core FPS players probably wouldn't like it.
post #2444 of 2457 Old 03-01-2015, 03:40 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
I've been playing Destiny on mine and a 115" screen since Sept. If there is a lag. I dont notice it. In fact when I play it on a regular display I don't notice a difference. So either I really stink or there isn't really one on the projector.
post #2445 of 2457 Old 03-05-2015, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:
Where do you all suggest placing the darbee right before the projector or Avr?

Also around what settings worked best for you
I have mine in between the Preamp and Projector so all sources are processed. On some of the poorer sources I can sometimes see what I think are artifacts from the Darbee, but it's very infrequent. So in my opinion having the Darbee apply to all sources is the best route.

post #2446 of 2457 Old 03-06-2015, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post
I've been playing Destiny on mine and a 115" screen since Sept. If there is a lag. I dont notice it. In fact when I play it on a regular display I don't notice a difference. So either I really stink or there isn't really one on the projector.
if you play a kinect game you'd probably notice it.

there's not enough lag to bug me with most games, cause i guess in the big scheme of things, 80ms isn't THAT bad and we can adjust to it pretty easily. but add in the lag caused by the kinect system and the extra 80ms of the projector makes it almost unplayable. i'm guessing there's probably like 100-120ms of lag from the kinect itself, it's sluggish enough you need to 'predict' when to perform your actions. with the x35, most things weren't really possible to predict far enough in advance.

anyway, there's definitely lag, it detectable if you look for it. but as others have said, it's not so much you can't adapt for most games. i imagine some fighting games where you only have a couple frames to counter would be frustrating to play, but otherwise it's ok.

it's funny, cause when i bought my f8500(plasma) it's actually go about 120ms of lag, so it was actually an improvement getting the x35 with 'only' 80ms, haha. i do find the f8500 to be 'annoying' if not in game or pc mode(which brings it down around 60ms)

post #2447 of 2457 Old 03-08-2015, 12:25 AM

Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I have mine in between the Preamp and Projector so all sources are processed. On some of the poorer sources I can sometimes see what I think are artifacts from the Darbee, but it's very infrequent. So in my opinion having the Darbee apply to all sources is the best route.
Agreed.
post #2448 of 2457 Old 03-13-2015, 07:02 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi guys,

I'm brand new to the projector market. I have just purchased a new x35b. Is there a trick to get the 3D to work on this thing. Could someone refre me to the correct page in the manual if that's possible.
post #2449 of 2457 Old 03-14-2015, 03:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you buy the emitter
post #2450 of 2457 Old 03-14-2015, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
buy the 3D emitter for about $99, plug it in and switch on glasses. Page 34 of manual will explain it all. you could buy Panasonic glasses like I have. You need a receiver that passes 3D video. I use my PS3 and have a splitter going to AVR and to my projector..Avatar and Prometheus are great in 3D.. hope this helps

post #2451 of 2457 Old 03-14-2015, 05:08 PM

Thanks guys I did buy the emitter and sadly have 6 of the jvc glasses. I can't seem to get them to work, but when I tried with a cheap pair of samsung glasses it works fine

Regards

Peter
post #2452 of 2457 Old 03-16-2015, 11:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blish2 View Post
Thanks guys I did buy the emitter and sadly have 6 of the jvc glasses. I can't seem to get them to work, but when I tried with a cheap pair of samsung glasses it works fine

Regards

Peter
I found the jvc glasses 'weird' to turn on. it's almost like you have to turn them on before you turn them on...

it's been like a year since I touched them, but I think you had to press the power button, then press and hold the power button to get it to sync. or else you had to hold it down, to get them to turn on, and then press the power button again to sync.

I do know that it was not exactly the same as the Samsung glasses, which I just pressed and held the power button until they were sync'd up.

post #2453 of 2457 Old 03-16-2015, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by blish2 View Post
You have 6 pairs of the JVC Glasses! That must have cost you a small fortune alone. Did you get them at a good price, and if so, could you pass on the info?

I have 2 pairs of Panasonic, and 2 pairs of Samsung; The Panasonic ones are better in my opinion, but I've heard that the JVCs are even better still.
post #2454 of 2457 Old 03-17-2015, 05:48 AM

Quote:
You have 6 pairs of the JVC Glasses! That must have cost you a small fortune alone. Did you get them at a good price, and if so, could you pass on the info?

I have 2 pairs of Panasonic, and 2 pairs of Samsung; The Panasonic ones are better in my opinion, but I've heard that the JVCs are even better still.
It did cost a small fortune, which I'm a little annoyned to find out the samsung glass which are so much cheaper actually work.
post #2455 of 2457 Old 03-17-2015, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 106
From the info on AVS, I learned that either the Samsung or Panasonic glasses work well..

post #2456 of 2457 Old 03-18-2015, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

both times I tried watching a full movie I ended up taking off the jvc's and wearing Samsung ones for the remainder. imo, they are both absolutely terrible, and I honestly haven't worn a pair of active 3D glasses that didn't completely ruin the experience for me.

the issue I had with the jvc is they are quite heavy, and after 30-40mins, they just don't feel comfortable anymore.

the samsungs are light enough that they never wear me down like that, but they have no peripheral 'blinders' so to speak, so I find them unusable unless in complete darkness.

I am a 'wrap around' sunglasses kind of guy, and that's my biggest issue. all the 3D glasses have totally flat lenses, which pretty much guarantees they won't fit my head, unfortunately.

performance wise there was no difference I could see. neither was brighter or better/worse with crosstalk.

post #2457 of 2457 Unread Today, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 124
Any good leads on where to get a super price on a genuine JVC replacement bulb for the RS46? Our wonderful folks here at AVS? Others?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread - 4100gb by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page