Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 87 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #2581 of 2604 Old 12-27-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Well... Ask me how I know to do this!
Hmm...How do you know?

This was my plan all along, not sure what I was thinking last night. Must have been a bit tired.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2582 of 2604 Old 12-27-2015, 04:25 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
JVC DLA-X35 Projetor Fast Action Pixel Breakdown

I've had my JVC DLA-X35 projector for a couple years now. From the beginning I've had image break down at fast action on HD sports broadcasts.

I have Charter for an internet provider. The projector is connected to the high definition cable box via an approx. 30' HDMI cable through our Bose V20 home theater system, which is then about 20' from the Bose. I've connected the HDMI cable direct from the cable box to the projector with no improvement. I've even sent the signal wirelessly from the Bose to the projector with no improvement.

On fast movement in football games I get significant pixelization around the edges of players. In reality it is all across the screen but most noticeable at the edges of the moving entities.

I've tried various picture modes and the "Film" setting seems to improve the situation somewhat. That combined with putting the Clear Motion Drive (C.M.D.) on "Inverse Telecine". While this helps somewhat it does not completely clear up the problem.

I am not well versed in setting up a projector so don't know much about what all the various possible settings are and their affect on the image.

I suspect part of the problem is the Charter signal as we have no problem with watching DVDs or Blu-Ray disks through out basic model OPPO player. I even have tried running the cable signal through the OPPO player with no improvement.

Does anyone have some guidance on how I might improve this issue?

Thanks,
BH
post #2583 of 2604 Old 12-27-2015, 11:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDavis View Post
Does anyone have some guidance on how I might improve this issue?
The only way to know for sure is to eliminate components one-by-one.

I'd start by temporarily connecting another HDTV to the same cable the projector is connected with (so everything else is identical) and see if that eliminates the problem. Then, at the very least, you will KNOW if it's the projector, but I doubt it.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 12-28-2015 at 01:34 AM.
post #2584 of 2604 Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDavis View Post
On fast movement in football games I get significant pixelization around the edges of players. In reality it is all across the screen but most noticeable at the edges of the moving entities.

I suspect part of the problem is the Charter signal as we have no problem with watching DVDs or Blu-Ray disks

Sounds like the old 19Mbps limitation of live broadcast HDTV and you're just noticing since getting the projector and bigger screen. Regardless how you're getting the signal into your system it is live TV and the producers have to encode it MPEG2 on the fly.
jsgrise likes this.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #2585 of 2604 Old 01-10-2016, 04:08 AM
Advanced Member

What is the maximum supported color bit depth?

I'm considering getting a Samsung UBD-K8500 Ultra HD Blu-ray Player and a HD Fury (to strip the HDCP 2.2). My Denon 4520 is limited to 8-Bit (I think) but the 8500 has 2 HDMI outputs (one for audio to the receiver) so I think can send a separate cable to the projector and get a higher color bitrate and see improved picture with 4K.

Last edited by Dreamliner; 01-10-2016 at 04:15 AM.
post #2586 of 2604 Old 01-10-2016, 06:37 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Hey Guys, I have about 1500hrs on my RS46 1st lamp and thought I notice some less lumen output since 2 years ago. How is your projector running after 1000-1500hrs? When should I think of getting a bulb replacement?

Thanks,

JS

PSN: le_gros_thon
post #2587 of 2604 Old 01-10-2016, 01:56 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Hey Guys, I have about 1500hrs on my RS46 1st lamp and thought I notice some less lumen output since 2 years ago. How is your projector running after 1000-1500hrs? When should I think of getting a bulb replacement?

Thanks,

JS
I had my projector for roughly 3 years and only used it about 800 hours, but the screen had dimmed to a point where the image was incredibly dim. A new bulb probably tripled the brightness when I replaced it a few months ago.
post #2588 of 2604 Old 01-10-2016, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allupons View Post
I had my projector for roughly 3 years and only used it about 800 hours, but the screen had dimmed to a point where the image was incredibly dim. A new bulb probably tripled the brightness when I replaced it a few months ago.
Interesting, I might order a replacement to see if there is any difference. If not, I'll keep it as a spare. Where would be the best place to order a replacement bulb? Thanks!

post #2589 of 2604 Old 01-10-2016, 07:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgrise View Post
Interesting, I might order a replacement to see if there is any difference. If not, I'll keep it as a spare. Where would be the best place to order a replacement bulb? Thanks!
Wait until you need it.

A few posts ago I uploaded a GIF that shows the brightness difference between 0 and 2900 hours.
AVfile likes this.
post #2590 of 2604 Old 01-11-2016, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Wait until you need it.

A few posts ago I uploaded a GIF that shows the brightness difference between 0 and 2900 hours.
Big difference in brightness there! I will wait until I can't stand it.

post #2591 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello Folks,

I've been lurking in these forums for a long time. I currently own a Acer H9500BD DLP 1080p w/3D. I like to watch movies on my 1.1 gain Cinema Matte White 16x9 screen, I also play some games, and watch football and TV. I want to get a 4K projector, but would like to wait for the technology to mature, and for there to be 4k bluray players and more movies. I was thinking that I could pick up a used RS46, or X35. A couple of quick questions. Is there any particular mount that you prefer? How is the 3d? Do you think I will be getting a noticeable upgrade? Any other helpful tips are appreciated. Thank You
post #2592 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 11:53 AM

Hello Folks,

I've been lurking in these forums for a long time. I currently own a Acer H9500BD DLP 1080p w/3D. I like to watch movies on my 1.1 gain Cinema Matte White 16x9 screen, I also play some games, and watch football and TV. I want to get a 4K projector, but would like to wait for the technology to mature, and for there to be 4k bluray players and more movies. I was thinking that I could pick up a used RS46, or X35. A couple of quick questions. Is there any particular mount that you prefer? How is the 3d? Do you think I will be getting a noticeable upgrade? Any other helpful tips are appreciated. Thank You
post #2593 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1284 Post(s)
Liked: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHUCKCHILLOUT View Post
Hello Folks,

I've been lurking in these forums for a long time. I currently own a Acer H9500BD DLP 1080p w/3D. I like to watch movies on my 1.1 gain Cinema Matte White 16x9 screen, I also play some games, and watch football and TV. I want to get a 4K projector, but would like to wait for the technology to mature, and for there to be 4k bluray players and more movies.
What's your budget, it might be worth jumping in now, Players and movies will be out in a few weeks, and I suspect it will be a while before "mature" 4K projectors will drop in price much...

Quote:
I was thinking that I could pick up a used RS46, or X35. A couple of quick questions. Is there any particular mount that you prefer?
Get a Chief mount, with the custom mount. You'll thank yourself later.

Quote:
How is the 3d?
Well my RS4910 is pretty bad, I've read that was an improvement over previous generations. It's possibly passable for frame packed 24fps (ie 3D Blu-ray) but far from good IMO. Especially compared to your Acer (DLP).

Quote:
Do you think I will be getting a noticeable upgrade?
What are you looking for? What are you not happy with now?

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #2594 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I'm a huge JVC fan, but if 3D is important to you, you might be better off sticking with your DLP.
ScottJ likes this.
post #2595 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevelup View Post
I'm a huge JVC fan, but if 3D is important to you, you might be better off sticking with your DLP.
Or getting a new JVC. They are really good.
post #2596 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
What's your budget, it might be worth jumping in now, Players and movies will be out in a few weeks, and I suspect it will be a while before "mature" 4K projectors will drop in price much...

Get a Chief mount, with the custom mount. You'll thank yourself later.

Well my RS4910 is pretty bad, I've read that was an improvement over previous generations. It's possibly passable for frame packed 24fps (ie 3D Blu-ray) but far from good IMO. Especially compared to your Acer (DLP).

What are you looking for? What are you not happy with now?
I think I'm just chasing a little better contrast ratio & a little bit more accurate color. I have a Panasonic ZT60, and though I know it is not going to be as good as the ZT60, just trying to get a little closer. I do like my Acer, it's really good at motion, pretty good with color contrast, just wondering if I could get a little better performance.
Since you can find a used JVC x35, or rs 46 for $1300-$1700, it's a compelling upgrade.
post #2597 of 2604 Old 01-28-2016, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If 3D is not a concern, an RS46 would be a big upgrade in contrast, but maybe not color. You might want to keep an eye out for a Sharp 17000 or 30000, both are 3D DLPs that should be a major improvement over what you've got in just about every way.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #2598 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 09:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
If 3D is not a concern, an RS46 would be a big upgrade in contrast, but maybe not color. You might want to keep an eye out for a Sharp 17000 or 30000, both are 3D DLPs that should be a major improvement over what you've got in just about every way.
I'm curious after owning a Infocus IN76 and X10 as well as having seen a Mitsubishi 3800, Optoma HD70, and BenQ (model# ecapes me) DLP why you think the colors would not be an upgrade. The RS46 calibrates well and offers more saturated colors vs. any of the DLPs I've seen. Not that the DLP's were bad by any means. Just genuinely curious on your take.

I'll echo what others have said, if 3D is a priority the RS46 is lacking here. Otherwise it's still a really stunning projector. The new JVC's are even better, but I still am very satisfied with mine.

post #2599 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 09:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
I'm curious after owning a Infocus IN76 and X10 as well as having seen a Mitsubishi 3800, Optoma HD70, and BenQ (model# ecapes me) DLP why you think the colors would not be an upgrade. The RS46 calibrates well and offers more saturated colors vs. any of the DLPs I've seen. Not that the DLP's were bad by any means. Just genuinely curious on your take.
I know that the JVC's have been getting progressively better OOTB calibration wise. I never got to run a calibration on the X35 I had, and it wouldn't have meant anything anyway since it was broken. But I'm "assuming" that the JVC would benefit from a good calibration and that a DLP will probably be closer OOTB.

That said, the contrast advantage on the RS46 would likely lead to "perceived" better colors since the more contrast/higher gamma you can run tends to result in punchier (but still accurate) color.

FWIW, my RS4910 and Planar 8150 are on a pretty level playing field after running a calibration on both of them.

post #2600 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked: 191
Quote:
I know that the JVC's have been getting progressively better OOTB calibration wise. I never got to run a calibration on the X35 I had, and it wouldn't have meant anything anyway since it was broken. But I'm "assuming" that the JVC would benefit from a good calibration and that a DLP will probably be closer OOTB.

That said, the contrast advantage on the RS46 would likely lead to "perceived" better colors since the more contrast/higher gamma you can run tends to result in punchier (but still accurate) color.

FWIW, my RS4910 and Planar 8150 are on a pretty level playing field after running a calibration on both of them.
I can confirm that the new JVCs are great OOTB. Even saturation and luminance ramps are less than 2 dE. At least that's my experience. The only reason I'm keeping my calibration equipment in the loop is to monitor changes as the bulb ages.
post #2601 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post

I'll echo what others have said, if 3D is a priority the RS46 is lacking here. Otherwise it's still a really stunning projector. The new JVC's are even better, but I still am very satisfied with mine.
So from what I've read, maybe I should just save my money and wait. To me, it's not worth spending $3-4 grand for a non4k projector at this point and I'm not going to fork out $8-10k for a 4k Sony. I actually have 18 3D blurays, while I don't see the format growing anymore, I still like to watch all of the Hobbit series, Tron and Avatar for old time sake + Promethius. Also, I wanted to see what a projector with no dynamic iris looks.

I had also thought about a dual projector setup and keeping my Acer for 3d + gaming and using the JVC for 2d movies and TV.
post #2602 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotcha. FWIW the only DLP I have seen that were a better OOTB experience than the JVC were the 2 Infocus DLPs I owned. The rest had fairly wide variances (especially the Optoma). Planar is supposed to be excellent in this regard. I still haven't seen a DLP that has quite as much color pop as the JVC.

post #2603 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 01:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
So from what I've read, maybe I should just save my money and wait. To me, it's not worth spending $3-4 grand for a non4k projector at this point and I'm not going to fork out $8-10k for a 4k Sony. I actually have 18 3D blurays, while I don't see the format growing anymore, I still like to watch all of the Hobbit series, Tron and Avatar for old time sake + Promethius. Also, I wanted to see what a projector with no dynamic iris looks.

I had also thought about a dual projector setup and keeping my Acer for 3d + gaming and using the JVC for 2d movies and TV.
The Acer and RS46 would be a very good combo. However the new JVC RS400 would be a projector that would keep you very happy for a quite a while if you can swing it. After seeing an RS500 in action, I'm no longer convinced a native 4K panel is a must have. It's that good. And I have seen a 4K Sony in action to compare it with. The RS400 gives up some features, but should offer most of the RS500 picture quality at a very compelling price.

post #2604 of 2604 Old 01-29-2016, 04:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Hello Folks,

Is there any particular mount that you prefer? How is the 3d?
Hi,

I've had a RS46 for about a year now and watch a good bit of 3D on it. Given that my HT is a bat cave, I've been pleased with the PQ in 3D. I run mine on a Silverticket AT 120" screen and it is plenty bright.

As far as mounts go, +1 for the Chief mount with the custom JVC mount plate. I used one for my setup for about 6 months until I went to a shelf (well, an alcove actually) mount and put it in storage. I used it for my RS1 for about a year as well. Simply cannot beat the quality and ease of use of the Chief.

One last quick thing...well, maybe two....the IR emitter you will need for the 3D can be had from Amazon a lot cheaper than the JVC unit, and comes with a pair of nice 3D glasses for about $45. PM me if you actually buy the RS46 and I'll get you the exact part numbers....too lazy to look it up now. Also, bulbs - I've had good luck with eBay-special bulbs. I posted the name of the seller I bought from in this thread a while ago and have no complaints so far, FWIW.

Good luck..I think you will enjoy a RS46...I sure have!

OK, I looked it up, but the price has gone up a lot. I paid $26 each for mine, now its $65, but you should be able to find a better deal. Here's the info: Xpand EX105BT Active 3D Shutter Glasses and Bluetooth Emitter for Mitsubishi Televisions. I have an leftover emitter since I bought two of the glasses & emitter bundles. BTW, this works with other brands of BT glasses. I'm using a few pairs of Samsung glasses, too.
AVfile likes this.

I'm finding that I'm smarter than I thought, but dumber than I need to be.
PSN ID: rtart, alt Ginsuyou2

Last edited by rtart; 01-29-2016 at 04:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model
Gear in this thread