Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 88 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 37Likes

post #2611 of 2629 Old 03-23-2016, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Depends on how much light you like. I run my RS46 zoomed to fill a 130" scope screen with the iris at either -5 or -6 (can't recall which). We find it plenty bright. A 100" 16:9 image should be no problem.

I can't comment on 3D. If you don't watch a lot of it and don't already own a lens I would suggest trying the lens memory on the RS46 before spending that kind of money. I've seen a couple setups with a Panamorph. While they are very nice, I didn't find the subtle smoothness of the lens to be worth the outlay of cash. And with how 4K is shaping up, I don't think it would be a great long term investment.

I'll be keeping my RS46 for a while yet. It's certainly been surpassed by some of the newer projectors, but man does it still throw a nice picture.

Thanks much for your feedback. I already have a lens and mounts slide etc which I obtained for a really great price. So they will be in use. Im looking forward to the great 1080/60 color and quality. Again, I tried an RS400 with light output throttled with -10 iris and Eco, in best theater mode, with active dynamic contrast off. So just native 40000. I was so impressed with the quality and color of the image. I believe the 46 will produce the same or noticeably the same quality image. 3D is still fashionable here in this house so I'm hoping that the light controlled viewing will be satisfactory in max blast brightness on the white screen.

I came from a PT-AE700U decades ago, a sharp 9000 before that, an Epson 8359 for last 7 years, and a small 11 hour trial with a PT-AE8000U and of course a demo period with a RS400. This is where I landed. Not going 4K until it's established in format, cabling world reliably, content is prevalent, and native D-ILA for 4K is here. I'm guessing a couple of years. For now beautiful 1080 with a Darbee enabled Oppo 103 is happiness.

Any common quirks to look out for on this? New Lamp loaded. Purchased pre owned from a one owner home. I've read a post or two about the lens shift and memory for zoom and focus having some subtle issues recalling exact settings. I'll be doing a lot of that switching between two screens and in and out of A-Lens so that may be good to know.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Samsung K8500 UHD BD/Nvidia Shield/Comcast HD/Marantz 7005 Pre Pro/JVC RS-400U/QSC PL-380/Peavey IPR-3000 (x3)/Peavey IPR1600 (x2)/JTR Triple 8 LCR/Volt 8LX SR&SB/SI HT18D2 4cuft sealed custom enclosures (x4)/Elite 125" 2.35 Cinetension2/Elite 84" EZ Cinegrey 5D ALR Fixed (Use both screens w/Lens Memory)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2612 of 2629 Old 03-24-2016, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by M88@FL450 View Post
Thanks much for your feedback. I already have a lens and mounts slide etc which I obtained for a really great price. So they will be in use. Im looking forward to the great 1080/60 color and quality. Again, I tried an RS400 with light output throttled with -10 iris and Eco, in best theater mode, with active dynamic contrast off. So just native 40000. I was so impressed with the quality and color of the image. I believe the 46 will produce the same or noticeably the same quality image. 3D is still fashionable here in this house so I'm hoping that the light controlled viewing will be satisfactory in max blast brightness on the white screen.

I came from a PT-AE700U decades ago, a sharp 9000 before that, an Epson 8359 for last 7 years, and a small 11 hour trial with a PT-AE8000U and of course a demo period with a RS400. This is where I landed. Not going 4K until it's established in format, cabling world reliably, content is prevalent, and native D-ILA for 4K is here. I'm guessing a couple of years. For now beautiful 1080 with a Darbee enabled Oppo 103 is happiness.

Any common quirks to look out for on this? New Lamp loaded. Purchased pre owned from a one owner home. I've read a post or two about the lens shift and memory for zoom and focus having some subtle issues recalling exact settings. I'll be doing a lot of that switching between two screens and in and out of A-Lens so that may be good to know.

Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm using my RS46 with a Darbee and really still love the picture. No real big gotchas or anything with the RS46. It's a JVC, so source synching is on the slow side. I have to say that the RS400/RS500 do eclipse the picture of the RS46. But the RS46 isn't embarrassed by the comparison. Really it's held up very well.

The lens memory may be off a tick or two at times. It's not off by a lot. Unless I'm looking at the grid to place the image, I don't really notice it. Maybe once every few months I'll go in and click it up or down a couple clicks and re-save. Really, at least to me, it's just a very mild annoyance.

I'm planning on a staged migration to 4K. Probably upgrade my ancient Sony Blu Ray player to a 4K Oppo. Then the preamp. And the RS46 last. Although having seen the latest iteration of e-shift in action on an RS500 I don't think I really need a native panel. It's really good. But by the time I am ready to buy, I expect they'll be native by then.

post #2613 of 2629 Old 03-28-2016, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Has anyone here successfully used a harmony Elite with a JVC DLA-X35B (DLA-RS46)?

I'm having an odd problem - nearly all of the functions work properly, except for the power-on. I can turn it off, calibrate, use all of the menu settings, but the projector won't power up from the Harmony.

Any ideas?
post #2614 of 2629 Old 03-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 300 Post(s)
Liked: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post
Has anyone here successfully used a harmony Elite with a JVC DLA-X35B (DLA-RS46)?

I'm having an odd problem - nearly all of the functions work properly, except for the power-on. I can turn it off, calibrate, use all of the menu settings, but the projector won't power up from the Harmony.

Any ideas?
Make sure your Radio assignments are correct. In the setup you have to tell the remote to use it's IR sensor.

I have noticed the Harmony software gets weird about that (Sometimes I'll use my phone if my remote battery dies). It will refuse to switch to another activity if I have my projector set to be controlled with IR from my remote. I now have one of those IR extenders from my rack into my theater room to control the projector and now the software side is happy.
MauneyM likes this.
post #2615 of 2629 Old 05-30-2016, 10:55 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 14
After about 1500 hr., I just replaced with a brand new JVC original lamp. After re-adjusted to -15 aperture, the brightness in lumen of the lamp is only half compared with the unit when it was new, the aperture has to be maintained at -4 aperture to give the same lumen of the old lamp at -1 aperture, how come???
post #2616 of 2629 Old 05-31-2016, 08:11 PM

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Hi All,

I am thinking about getting a used JVC X35 for my HT. I am based in Australia.

Contenders are Sony 40ES, JVC X35, Panasonic A8000 or Epson 9200.

Are any of these loud? I can control the lighting, I have dimmable downlights 4 of them. A block out curtain for my glass stacker doors. Plantation shutter blind for a window. Entry door which is glazed glass.

Walls are dark grey colour but ceiling is white. 3D is not important as I get a headache watching it for more than an hour.

Room dimensions: 11.1 feet X 13.28 feet

I am thinking to mount a 110" fixed screen (on the 11.1 feet wall) with a ceiling mount for projector.

Seating distance around 12 feet or so.

Powerpoint and HDMI will be approx 13 feet from screen. So after mounting projector, lens to screen distance I would say around the 11.5 feet mark.

I will be watching 1080P movies and TV shows, and broadcast TV in 576P, 1080i.

Is watching sports of any kind ok on the JVC? Even if I have a bit of light, will it be ok? If I invite friends over or decide to open the stacker glass doors to watch sports.

I will have an entertainment unit below the screen to place my B&W MT30 package speakers They are just satellite ones. It will also have the blu ray player and amp stored here. I will get as low as possible for this unit. Maybe 42cm high cabinet plus the centre and front speakers I would say all up 60cm.

Is 65cm from floor to screen distance too high? If it is I can get lower cabinets.

My ceiling height is 9 feet.

Thanks,
K.
post #2617 of 2629 Old 06-01-2016, 10:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Hi All,

I am thinking about getting a used JVC X35 for my HT. I am based in Australia.

Contenders are Sony 40ES, JVC X35, Panasonic A8000 or Epson 9200.
Stay away from the Panasonic. The X35 is noisy in high lamp mode, (I use it for 3D) and pretty much silent in ECO mode.

Click here for my review/compariso
n.
AVfile likes this.
post #2618 of 2629 Old 06-01-2016, 10:35 PM

ok thanks for the tip. Any feedback regarding my other queries?

Also at 3.5m throw for the JVC for 110" screen, using the calculator it is at 1.97x zoom which is nearly at the end. Will this affect the quality of the image? I heard some say yes and some say no?

I will be sitting approx 3.8m from screen.

Last edited by k3nnis; 06-02-2016 at 12:01 AM.
post #2619 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 12:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
ok thanks for the tip. Any feedback regarding my other queries?

Also at 3.5m throw for the JVC for 110" screen, using the calculator it is at 1.97x zoom which is nearly at the end. Will this affect the quality of the image? I heard some say yes and some say no?

I will be sitting approx 3.8m from screen.
If it does affect image quality I'm sure you won't be able to tell. For pretty much every lens, the middle is usually the best, but a lot of comments like that are usually near immeasurable hyperbole. I wouldn't worry about it.

I had to punch a hole in a wall and build a shelf on the other side to get enough distance for my screen and I love it.
post #2620 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
If it does affect image quality I'm sure you won't be able to tell. For pretty much every lens, the middle is usually the best, but a lot of comments like that are usually near immeasurable hyperbole. I wouldn't worry about it.

I had to punch a hole in a wall and build a shelf on the other side to get enough distance for my screen and I love it.
Oh ok. What is your throw distance?
post #2621 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 02:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Oh ok. What is your throw distance?
Throw is 15.5'
Seat distance is 12'
Screen size is 136" 2.35:1 (Would be 144" if 16x9)
post #2622 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
Throw is 15.5'
Seat distance is 12'
Screen size is 136" 2.35:1 (Would be 144" if 16x9)
Ok thx. I'm debating whether to get 2:35:1 screen or 16:9

I know I can fit a 110" 16:9 with some space for speakers. My wall is 3.4 metres wide.

How big of a 2:34:1 screen can I fit? Will it be too small a wall to fit a 2:35:1?
post #2623 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 02:30 AM
Advanced Member

Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread

Quote:
Ok thx. I'm debating whether to get 2:35:1 screen or 16:9

I know I can fit a 110" 16:9 with some space for speakers. My wall is 3.4 metres wide.

How big of a 2:34:1 screen can I fit? Will it be too small a wall to fit a 2:35:1?
If you have width issues get a 16:9 screen.

I'd put your speakers where you want them and measure the space between, figure out the biggest screen you can fit, make sure your good on throw distance and buy it.

I've never heard someone wish they got a smaller screen.
post #2624 of 2629 Old 06-04-2016, 02:57 AM

Lol ok. I will be about 3.6m from 110" 16:9
post #2625 of 2629 Old 07-19-2016, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question:

My DLA-X35B is not firing up, and it's throwing a code that isn't in the manual.

When I hit the power button (remote or local) the green light comes on for about 60 seconds, but nothing else happens. No faint light behind the lens, no fan, no nothing. After about 60 seconds, the two outer lights (warning and standby/on) both go full on red and the middle (lamp) light flashes amber. This is a flash code that is not shown in the manual. I've checked the lap and cover - all looks good, and the lamp is only about halfway through its expected life. Visually the lamp looks perfect. I tried calling JVC support and got someone who was very adept at reading the same manual I had read, who then told me to pack it up and ship it in.

Before I spend a few hours and a bunch of money pulling this thing down from the ceiling and shipping it in, has anyone here seen this code sequence? Any idea what it really means?

Thanks in advance......
post #2626 of 2629 Old 07-23-2016, 09:01 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 92
We have moved and I am building a new Home Theater.

I am limited with depth.

Will I have a problems with mounting the Projector 12.5' back from a 108"; 16:9 screen. Seating is 10.5' back?

Thanks!

Buy my (3) PSA; MTM-210's and (2) MT-110's !!
post #2627 of 2629 Old Today, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauneyM View Post
I have a question:

My DLA-X35B is not firing up, and it's throwing a code that isn't in the manual.

When I hit the power button (remote or local) the green light comes on for about 60 seconds, but nothing else happens. No faint light behind the lens, no fan, no nothing. After about 60 seconds, the two outer lights (warning and standby/on) both go full on red and the middle (lamp) light flashes amber. This is a flash code that is not shown in the manual. I've checked the lap and cover - all looks good, and the lamp is only about halfway through its expected life. Visually the lamp looks perfect. I tried calling JVC support and got someone who was very adept at reading the same manual I had read, who then told me to pack it up and ship it in.

Before I spend a few hours and a bunch of money pulling this thing down from the ceiling and shipping it in, has anyone here seen this code sequence? Any idea what it really means?

Thanks in advance......
The same problem with my JVC X3 a while back. Most likely your power ballast is out and need to replace, which is very costly. Or could be the lamp is dead. My suggestion for you is to order a cheap lamp from Amazon and test to see if it's the lamp. If that not fix the problem then...Well, time to make the tough decisions: buy a new one or fix the old one! Read this post, if you are handy and want to try, you might be able to fix it yourself as well. Good luck!
http://www.fixya.com/support/t249173...power_2_lights
post #2628 of 2629 Old Today, 01:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the response. I pulled it down and took it back to the retailer - it's still under warranty, so I'm letting them deal with it.

Thanks!
post #2629 of 2629 Old Today, 01:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majek 60 View Post
We have moved and I am building a new Home Theater.

I am limited with depth.

Will I have a problems with mounting the Projector 12.5' back from a 108"; 16:9 screen. Seating is 10.5' back?

Thanks!
That's pretty close to the way mine is configured, and it's fine. plenty of room to adjust.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model
Gear in this thread