AVS Forum banner
317K views 3K replies 319 participants last post by  zsero 
#1 ·
This first post will be updated periodically.

Brochure

User manual

Projector Central setup calculator

JVC setup calculator

Setup tips

Basic calibration disc

Online reviews:
French
AVforum
HDTVtest
Art's
CNET

Pixel convergence test pattern::

Access the service menu for this test pattern. On the remote, quickly press UP DOWN RIGHT LEFT ENTER

Reported info:

2D Low lamp (calibrated/uncalibrated Natural): 717 / 631 lumens

2D High lamp (calibrated/uncalibrated Natural): 939 / 916 lumens

3D High lamp (uncalibrated 3D profile): 995 lumens

Lag (gaming): 80 ms

3D ghosting problem with initial release:

Switcher #: 2012.9.26.1 (faulty 3D)

Switcher #: 2012.12.4.1 (fixed 3D)

(Access the service menu to view the switcher #)

Compatible 3D glasses

Panasonic TY-ER3D4MU

Samsung SSG-4100GB

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

My JVC DLA-X35 arrived today! This is my second projector ever. My first was a 720p Optoma HD72 DLP projector from 2006.

As far as I know, there are currently no high quality photos of the back panel on the web. As a result, the right angle HDMI adapter that I pre-ordered is, naturally, the opposite of what I need.

Bigger is better

Sexy beast

See less See more
#2,228 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220_10#post_24772341

I'm curious about the panny system. but if it's all digital, how does that work for CIH? I mean, doesn't it NEED to zoom in order to achieve CIH?

The zoom and focus are motorized but the shift is electronic (and vertical only).

#2,229 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24772005

The Panasonic implementation is better. Yes, the JVC may be more flexible for installation, but my RS46 constantly needs adjustment to line up properly when switching screen modes and I always have to dig through menus to set the masking for 2.40:1, the Panasonic is precise and remembers masking settings.

Most people don't have their projector a foot over their screen height.

If you have any tips to get my lens memory to work property, let me know, it's constantly 2-3" too low. Even after I re-save it, it still comes back too low.

You could try resetting the saved memory and completely redoing the configuration. Or purposefully save it high to compensate. I have a small amount overspill on mine and don't really notice if it drifts slightly. I did resave it once when it got off enough to notice the grid lines being off.

#2,230 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24772005

The Panasonic implementation is better. Yes, the JVC may be more flexible for installation, but my RS46 constantly needs adjustment to line up properly when switching screen modes and I always have to dig through menus to set the masking for 2.40:1, the Panasonic is precise and remembers masking settings.

If you have any tips to get my lens memory to work property, let me know, it's constantly 2-3" too low. Even after I re-save it, it still comes back too low.

The JVC is not perfect, but tell me where you would mount the Panny in this setup.

Room 14'W x 17'D x 9' H

First row 10'

2nd row 16' (basically on back wall)

Riser height 16" Starts right behind first row)

Screen size 51" x 120" (2.35 aspect ratio)

Mounting the screen so that the first row viewers eyes are 1/3rd up the screen, places the image starting 26" off the floor. This is also the lowest you can mount the screen and still have correct sight lines from the second row.

Top of image is 77" above first level.

Top of image is 61" above riser.

The Panny throw range for this screen is 13'-6" to 20'-6". This means the projector has to be mounted above the riser. The top of the image is only 61" above the riser. This means the projector will have to be mounted right above the second row at the back wall and the bottom of the projector is only 48" above the riser. When I sit upright in my theater seating, the top of my head is 48.5". So to mount the projector in this room is going to be a problem. This is a typical dedicated room layout. To get this projector to work in a room with two rows of seating, you have to start off with compromises of screen height to eye height. I don't like that compromise just for one projector, especially since, that projector will be changed out in two or three years.

#2,231 ·
I will have to disagree - most HT installs require mounting the projector on the ceiling with the lens above the screen.

My lens memory works perfectly so I am not sure what you mean it comes back "too low". Maybe you have a defective unit?

Also, what do you mean by setting the masking? Do you mean switching aspect ratios?
Quote:

#2,233 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24773439

My lens memory works perfectly so I am not sure what you mean it comes back "too low". Maybe you have a defective unit?
I don't want image over-spill (where the projected image is on the screen frame), I want as much as possible on the screen, so there is only maybe a half inch on the top and bottom where the projected image is on the border in 2.35:1 mode, of the lens position drifts even 1 inch, the projected image doesn't fill the screen, in my case, the screen position usually comes back a few inches too low.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravi  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24773439

Also, what do you mean by setting the masking? Do you mean switching aspect ratios?
Going back to my earlier overspill statement, when when projecting 2.40:1 content on a 2.35:1 screen, there is a couple inches of overspill on the left and right side. The projector can electronically 'mask' that projected image keeping the actual image on the screen only. Panasonic ties the Masking into their Lens Memory so I don't have to turn it on and off it in the menu each time.

The fact that you don't know what masking is tells me you probably have a considerable amount of overspill and wouldn't notice of your projector drifted.

Set your 2.35:1 image to the smallest possible projected image height to fill your screen. Save the lens memory position, switch to 1.78 and then back to the 2.35:1 tell me if it lines up perfectly again.

#2,234 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2190#post_24759870

I agree with you on some of it but where I think the 0-255 comes into play is madvr. I'm no expert on this so I can easily be wrong.

But from what I was reading yes JVC is pretty accurate at contrast and brightness. Thing is everyone is saying don't make the adjustment on the pc side. I didn't see anyone say using the nvidia control panel to do that.

I'm sure someone else can chime in with some better knowledge then us though.

The meter side is getting tough I keep running into really stupid problems now like my laptop reads my meter but my desktop hcfr won't. Little things keep pushing me back.

It's not as easy as I thought it would be to learn but I'm learning more and more everyday thanks to the great people on this forum

@Holiday121, I think I should be able to help you here somewhat, as I've done quite a few calibrations with the exact same hardware and software that you're using, including creating 3DLUTs for use with madVR.

I'll start by addressing the 0-255 / 16-235 range issue...

99% of consumer video content today is encoded in 8-bits, using a limited range of values. Video Black is defined as level 16, Video White is defined as 235, anything outside these ranges is not technically considered part of the signal, but is left their for historical reasons, and headroom. So the content on a Blu-ray Disc or a TV broadcast shouldn't have information below 16, or above 235, and these video playback devices pass this limited range out over HDMI to the display device, usually in a YCbCr format.

A PC graphics card works in the RGB colour space, rather than YCbCr, and typically uses the full range of digital values when sending an output over DVI-D. HDMI is fully compatible with DVI-D, and is therefore able to carry an 8-bit RGB full range signal from your PC to your display device. The default ouput from a PC is therefore full range (0-255).

Clearly there is a mis-match between video content, and the PC Graphics system, both in terms of the levels used (limited vs full range) and the colour space (YCbCr vs RGB). The conversion from the original video YCbCr signal to RGB is a complex matrix transformation, which will always result in floating point numbers. To put this another way, YCbCr value 190,84,221 will not translate to an exact 8-bit RGB set of values (I can't be bothered to do the maths, but it's not that difficult to calculate). Most devices that perform these transforms (including almost all displays, since most displays work on the basis of Red, Green and Blue sub-pixels) do so at a higher bit-depth than the input, and then use some complex algorithms to map down to the required RGB bit-depth. In your PC, the processes will typically look something like this:

YCbCr 8-bit limited range -> RGB 16-bit full range -> RGB 8-bit full range

The difference between a full range RGB signal (16,777,216 possible values) and a limited range signal (10,503,459 possible values) is 6,273,757. That's more than 50% more possible digital values to represent your image. Depending on the image processing and the quality of the YCbCr matrix conversion, these additional values could reduce the banding in an image, or the noise created by any dithering that would be applied to hide banding.

To put it very simply (but also to miss the point), setting your graphics card to full range will stretch the input signal from limited range to full range. The down side to this is that you will not see any information below level 16 or above 235; this shouldn't be a problem because that information should technically not be there anyway.

Setting your graphics card to output 16-235 will compress the full range signal that the PC is working in into 16-235, almost certainly reducing image quality. Any player renderer that you're using will still be rendering to full range, because it's the video card that is compressing the signal back down to limited range. Setting the PC to limited range is not simply passing the signal through un-touched, as described above.

Your X35 / RS46 should be set to 'Standard' if you have a Blu-ray player or STB connected, and 'Enhanced' if you're using an HTPC. I personally wouldn't recommend ever using the 'Super White' setting, because as I've stated several times, there shouldn't be any information above 235 anyway, and you'll be sacrificing brightness by reserving the full white of the projector for a signal that probably is never there.

#2,235 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24773972

I don't want image over-spill (where the projected image is on the screen frame), I want as much as possible on the screen, so there is only maybe a half inch on the top and bottom where the projected image is on the border in 2.35:1 mode, of the lens position drifts even 1 inch, the projected image doesn't fill the screen, in my case, the screen position usually comes back a few inches too low.

Going back to my earlier overspill statement, when when projecting 2.40:1 content on a 2.35:1 screen, there is a couple inches of overspill on the left and right side. The projector can electronically 'mask' that projected image keeping the actual image on the screen only. Panasonic ties the Masking into their Lens Memory so I don't have to turn it on and off it in the menu each time.

The fact that you don't know what masking is tells me you probably have a considerable amount of overspill and wouldn't notice of your projector drifted.

Set your 2.35:1 image to the smallest possible projected image height to fill your screen. Save the lens memory position, switch to 1.78 and then back to the 2.35:1 tell me if it lines up perfectly again.

On my 4910 I have very little overspill (eg 0.5 inch or less) on the top and bottom of the 16:9 image of my CIH setup. I haven't had to readjust in the 4 months of switching to/from 2.35 to 1.78 several times a week. Sorry to hear your unit isn't tracking so consistently.

#2,236 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjcook  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24772383

^^ The Panasonic unit has motorized zoom but not lens shift. It shifts the image in the panel to simulate lens shift, but for a more limited placement offset.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottJ  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24772399

The zoom and focus are motorized but the shift is electronic (and vertical only).

ah, ic, that makes sense. so as long as no horizontal shift is needed you're good to go(well with limited vertical shift I guess).

yeah, that certainly seems like a good option, but I need horizontal shift, so I guess it wouldn't have worked for me anyway

as for the lens 'drift' with the jvc. on a 120" screen and 19ish foot throw. I usually see about a 5 or so pixel drift horizontally on mine. the vertical and zoom/focus seem to be bang on for me, but I think for one of my settings the vertical shift is actually maxed out, so it couldn't physically go lower than it is anyway.

IF I was able to do a half inch of overspill without it being super obvious on my border I would, and it would totally solve my problem. unfortunately, with my screen, anything wider than the thickness of the green lines(of the built in pattern) is noticeable, and bothers me. most of the movies I watch are scope, so I don't have to switch often. but just about every time I do, I need to shift it a couple pixels one way or the other. but definitely not 'inches'

#2,237 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday121  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2190#post_24754322

JVC Settings as of right now with those readings

Picture Mode= Natural

Contrast Brightness Color Tint all at 0

Color Temp Custom 1 with readings of

Gain Red -1

Gain Green -11

Gain Blue -8

Offset Red -11

Offset Green 3

Offset Blue -1

Color Space Standard

Custom 3 Gama 2.6

Lens Aperture 0

Lamp Power Low

HDMI Is set to Enhanced because when using HTPC That's the only way black lvls will show 17+,,, If I used a standard Bluray player the flashed in both super white and Standard

Color Space Auto

Control with HDMI On

For My black lvl I have it set at 3 because that's when both boxes look black

Your settings don't look way off, but I think you're trying to do too much too soon. I'll try and explain as best I can, but do feel free to ask questions.

Black Level

First off, the 'Black Level' setting is not intended to be a picture adjustment in the traditional sense. The purpose of this setting is so that you can compensate for ambient light present in your room. If the Black Level is at its lowest, but your room is fairly bright, the darkest areas of the image will be washed out by the ambient light in the room; the Black Level setting raises the darkest black that the projector produces so that this level of light being reflected off your screen is equal to the ambient light in your room.

This really is a clever setting, but it does work by reducing the contrast ratio of your image. If you're using this setting at anything other than the lowest setting, it's a good job you bought JVC's entry level product because you would get zero contrast ratio benefit by moving to a higher range model.

Calibration

There is no doubt about it, calibration does have a fairly steep learning curve. Unfortunately, you've really jumped in at the deep end, because you're starting with a projector.

Projection images are affected so much by the environment around them and this can really complicate things. If you use a large test patch for example, some of the light reflecting off your screen will bounce off the furniture, walls, ceiling and floor back onto your screen.

One approach that I must admit I've not tried myself, is to calibrate the projector by taking readings direction into the projection beam, rather than off the screen. It's important to start by taking readings of your colour primaries reflected off the screen and into the lens, and then create a correction matrix that will end up being applied to your readings as you go on (this will also correct for any influence on colour that your screen has). The big benefit to this approach is that your meter will be far better at reading the darkest light levels your projector is able to produce if it's pointed directly at the lens!

I would strongly advise starting your calibration learning by using an LCD TV if possible. Any direct view TV will be easier than a projector, but Plasmas have their own issues that need to be considered.

Your JVC Projector

I would start by playing the basic 'Black Clipping' and 'White Clipping' files from the AVS Test Disc in madVR, and making sure that you're not seeing anything below level 16 or above 235.

Following this, using a small test patch (ideally using the madTPG and ColorHCFR combination with madTPG set to the smallest patch and a black background), use the White Point controls to try to correct the white point as best as you can with 80% and 30% grey patches.

Finally, do a greyscale sweep (still using the smallest test patches possible) of the same number of points adjustment in the custom gamma setting, which I believe is 20 points. ColorHCFR will then show you how much you need to adjust the white point and brightness at each point. You then need to go through each point in the JVC OSD adjusting, re-testing, re-adjusting, re-testing etc. until you get closer to a perfect white point and gamma curve.

In a decent viewing environment the black level that the JVC projectors is capable of is almost zero, and a BT.1886 gamma curve will therefore result in something almost exactly a 2.4 power curve. If you're viewing in a bat cave, this will probably work well for you, but if your walls, ceiling, floors or furniture are reflecting some of the light, you might want to go closer to a 2.3 or 2.2 power curve.

The JVC X35 / RS46 does not have adjustments for RGBYCM, so there really isn't much you can do. The adjustments I've talked through will get you 90% of the way to a perfect calibration, and this is what @Zombie10k was saying.

madVR 3DLUT

To get even closer to perfection, a 3DLUT created with madVR and ArgyllCMS should be able to bring your colour saturations slightly more in line.

It is possible to perform the entire calibration with a 3DLUT, avoiding the need for the time consuming white point and gamma settings that I talked about above, I wouldn't recommend this however. The projector itself is making changes to its output image in at least 10-bit resolution (as indicated by the OSD adjustments); madVR is working with the 8-bit output of the PC however, which gives it less digital values to play with. It might be worth checking the results of a White Point / Gamma / 3DLUT Calibration vs just a 3DLUT Calibration, but my instincts tell me that the former is likely to be slightly better.

I have to be honest here though... The primaries and saturations of the JVC X35 / RS46 are so close to correct, that most people would be unable to tell the difference between a White Point / Gamma calibration, and one that also included a 3DLUT correction. I'm not trying to say that the madVR 3DLUT is un-necessary (it's quite possibly the most powerful image correction solution for consumers available), just that it is far more beneficial, and necessary, when the display is more off to begin with.

Other sources

One significant advantage to going the White Point / Gamma / 3DLUT route, is that your White Point / Gamma calibration should be perfect for any other video source that you're planning to use.

Now that we're in the digital era, there shouldn't be any need to change your calibration between devices, including between a PC running full level RGB vs a Blu-ray player running limited range YCbCr (assuming you have the levels set correctly of course).

I am doing exactly this in fact, I have a single calibration that I use for my Chromecast, Sony Blu-ray player and HTPC; the only difference being the HDMI levels setting (Enhanced for HTPC, Standard for others). I've used test discs in the Blu-ray player and the raw files on my HTPC; the results are basically identical regardless of source - just as it should be.

#2,243 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24795991

Oh well I guess I'll get the Sony HW40ES then.

Sent you a PM.

#2,244 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopson  /t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread/2220#post_24795640

Is input lag really as high as 80ms? at HDTV they say its only 45ms I was going to get this projector but then I was put off by the input lag I could handle 45ms the LG OLED i have now is 55ms and I have no problems with that.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/jvc-x35-201302052614.htm

when I tested my displays, bear with me cause it was two tests.

I used an old lcd tv, presumably one that has more than 0ms of lag as my 'baseline'. my f8500 measured roughly 110-120ms HIGHER than the lcd. in a second test I compared my f8500 to the x35 and the x35 was 40ms faster than the f8500. so by my math, the x35 is somewhere between 70-80ms more than the lcd tv. so even if the lcd tv had only 10ms of lag, a figure of 80ms for the jvc is about right. it's definitely not faster than that, I'm sure.

that was why I recommended the sony. 40ish ms should be fine for most games and most gamers. 80ms is fine for casual gamers, or games where you can adjust your timing easily.

#2,245 · (Edited)
The time is drawing near for me to order a replacement lamp for the RS46. I see two variations, the PK-L2312UG, and the JVC PK-L2312UP. The JVC site says one is for the RS46, the other is for the X35, which is basically the same machine. Anyone know if the bulbs are indeed interchangeable? And I see others that are plain JVC PK-L2312U.

I ask because I found one quite a bit cheaper than the other, and it says that's the one for the X35. :-\

#2,265 ·
I have had my RS46 for a couple of weeks now, paired with a 125" 2.35 Carada BW screen. I was using an Epson 6500UB for the past several years along with a 16:9 Da-Lite screen. I figured this will be an upgrade. But leaving the scope screen aside, the JVC itself is simply stunning. I realize now the fact that contrast is the biggest vow factor to an HT experience and just how much difference it can make, given the right viewing environment.

I read somewhere that the only way to possibly top the picture on this PJ is to add Darbee processing (via Darblet or Oppo). I am not sure about this and want to know if any members can quote first hand experience on whether it is worth an upgrade?

#2,266 ·
I have had my RS46 for a couple of weeks now, paired with a 125" 2.35 Carada BW screen. I was using an Epson 6500UB for the past several years along with a 16:9 Da-Lite screen. I figured this will be an upgrade. But leaving the scope screen aside, the JVC itself is simply stunning. I realize now the fact that contrast is the biggest vow factor to an HT experience and just how much difference it can make, given the right viewing environment.

I read somewhere that the only way to possibly top the picture on this PJ is to add Darbee processing (via Darblet or Oppo). I am not sure about this and want to know if any members can quote first hand experience on whether it is worth an upgrade?
I'm just speculating a bit based on the research I did, but it doesn't seem like the type of product ppl buy on a whim. they buy it because they know they are going to like it. I certainly didn't find too many ppl who purchased one and didn't like it and didn't use it. but I had heard some ppl comment that they have viewed one and wouldn't buy one themselves.

there's some good reviews on it around these forums, with some great comparison photos, so you should be able to judge for yourself. it does appear to have a significant affect on the image, so you should be able to decide if you like the extra 'detail' or find it artificial looking. and remember it's processing is adjustable, so you can dial in the desired amount too.

I thought it looked pretty interesting, but there was better places I could spend the money in my room. like a new screen so I don't see so much texture!

#2,267 ·
Here is my opinion on the Darby.

Where it really makes a big difference to me is in static scenes, specifically when there is a close up of a persons face during dialog. I find it worth every penny for that alone. If you are viewing a moving scene it will be hard if not impossible to tell any difference in the darby/no darby pic.
An example in sports would be during a football play you probably would not notice much difference, but when the play is over and they cut to a closeup of a player/coach's face there is a large difference (for me).

I run mine on HD at 40.

I am using it on an RS4800.

As always, YMMV.

Hope this helps,
Moto

#2,268 ·
I have a Darbee hooked up to my system and really like it. It seems to add detail to about any scene (I run mine at 35 I believe). It's certainly not a gimmick. It really does work and looks great. Unfortunately some of the demos run with the unit cranked to far up and it can look fake. Setup right it is well worth it.