Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - Page 92 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 50Likes

post #2731 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Do you guys think the x35 is still comparable or on par with the Sony hw45es?
I'm not certain how much the x35 your looking at is, but I'd strongly suggest getting a RS400 (a 420 would be best if you can). There is a guy on here selling his that is practically brand new. I upgraded from the RS46 to the RS400. In addition to 4K, HDR and all that jazz (which you WILL eventually get into, its just a matter of when) the RS400 is SIGNIFICANTLY better for HD. Even with eShift off, the pixels are physically closer together and its immediately noticeable. The image is definitely clearer and is the very first thing I noticed. The RS400 is also a lot brighter and the 3D is magnificent. Plus, it does 4K, HDR and all that good stuff.

Pay now or pay later, but you will buy a 4K projector...why not now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2732 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 10:57 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
@kennis

I've seen the 40,45,50 and 55ES. The RS46 has better contrast and black floor than the Sony's (especially the 4x models). Plus lens memory if you want to go with a scope setup. Color wise all of them have very nice pop. The motion handing on the Sony 5x units may be a bit better than the JVC.
I believe the Sony's have a bit more firepower (lumens). But as mentioned, higher black floor and lower contrast vs the JVC.

IF one has a gigantic screen (like +140" or so), and/or like plasma TV like brightness on a big screen, and/or never have a totally dark room (so not so concerned about blacks), then it might be worthwhile to look into the Sony.

Though if I needed the firepower, I'd go with a newer B stock JVC as others have mentioned to get the best of both worlds, lumens and blacks/constast.
post #2733 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 12:33 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
I believe the Sony's have a bit more firepower (lumens). But as mentioned, higher black floor and lower contrast vs the JVC.

IF one has a gigantic screen (like +140" or so), and/or like plasma TV like brightness on a big screen, and/or never have a totally dark room (so not so concerned about blacks), then it might be worthwhile to look into the Sony.

Though if I needed the firepower, I'd go with a newer B stock JVC as others have mentioned to get the best of both worlds, lumens and blacks/constast.
Depends on what you're after. With good light control the RS46 has plenty of oomph. Mine was running on a 130" scope screen (with lens memory) and I had the iris at -6. Still plenty bright. According to Projector Reviews the 45ES in low lamp would calibrate to less than 1000 lumens, so very comparable to the RS46, but with the JVC having a much better picture. The 50 and 55ES were also comparable light output wise when I saw them.

Now the Sony 4K lineup is another story.

post #2734 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 12:38 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 691 Post(s)
Liked: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post
I'm not certain how much the x35 your looking at is, but I'd strongly suggest getting a RS400 (a 420 would be best if you can). There is a guy on here selling his that is practically brand new. I upgraded from the RS46 to the RS400. In addition to 4K, HDR and all that jazz (which you WILL eventually get into, its just a matter of when) the RS400 is SIGNIFICANTLY better for HD. Even with eShift off, the pixels are physically closer together and its immediately noticeable. The image is definitely clearer and is the very first thing I noticed. The RS400 is also a lot brighter and the 3D is magnificent. Plus, it does 4K, HDR and all that good stuff.

Even though I'm selling an RS46, I'm not gonna lie the RS400 is a big step up.

However if yoy're budget only allows for something like the Sony 45ES or one of the ~$1000 DLP's the RS46 used would offer a lot better picture in that price range.
Dreamliner likes this.

post #2735 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 03:15 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 450 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamliner View Post

Thanks. Reason I asked is because I have a rs46 now that I haven't set up yet. I got it for $1200

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #2736 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Is the black level of the rs46 as good as a Rs 400/420?

post #2737 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 10:48 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeahrens View Post
Depends on what you're after. With good light control the RS46 has plenty of oomph. Mine was running on a 130" scope screen (with lens memory) and I had the iris at -6. Still plenty bright. According to Projector Reviews the 45ES in low lamp would calibrate to less than 1000 lumens, so very comparable to the RS46, but with the JVC having a much better picture. The 50 and 55ES were also comparable light output wise when I saw them.

Now the Sony 4K lineup is another story.
Yeah, remembering around 1,000 lumens on the Sony's in low lamp.

Don't recall an RS46 getting near that in low lamp, thought it was more in the 700 lumen range....all things being somewhat equal (hard to compare with all the zoom positions and iris on the JVC).
post #2738 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 11:07 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3nnis View Post
Is the black level of the rs46 as good as a Rs 400/420?

I think it's more important to think about your screen size first.

On a small screen, say 90", I think the RS46 can clamp down to a lower black level than the RS400/420.

But on a larger screen, say 120"+, I think you should look at the RS400/420's as the larger the screen you go, the lower your black level will be, all things being equal. And at even larger sizes, your RS46 is gonna start getting dim as the lamp ages, though it might still pop well when new.

I was in the market for a JVC earlier this year. I have a very small screen, like 80" diagonal (small room). I was hoping for a B-stock X500/RS4910/RS49, but they were all gone. AVS was offering the RS400, but IMO that would be overkill for my 80" screen and unnecessarily raise my black level over my previous JVC choices (according to AVS member black level measures at the fully closed iris setting).

So I kept an eye on ebay for an X500/RS4910/RS49 and even RS46 (though I really wanted a dynamic iris). I was coming from a 7 year old Mits HC3800 DLP, so any of those JVC's would have been an upgrade. I even saved an ebay search for an RS57, which has the dual dynamic iris. I bid on a low hrs one and unexpectedly won it at the price point I set for the X500/RS4910 models.

The RS57 apparently has an even lower (slightly) black floor than the X500/Rs4910/RS49 and RS46 and I'm super stoked I got it. The RS57 doesn't have the firepower of an RS400, but for my 80" screen it was a perfect fit.

Just sharing my thoughts. Your mileage may vary.
post #2739 of 2750 Old 09-15-2017, 11:09 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks. I'm aiming for a 110" screen max.

post #2740 of 2750 Old 09-16-2017, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Hmmm....right at the hand off point between those 2 projectors!

I dunno. It might come down to how bright you like it....more on the plasma bright side (in that case, RS400), or more on the commercial theater side, which the RS46 would do nicely on that size.

But that is purely talking blacks and brights. The RS400 might have worse blacks than the RS46 on that screen, though do everything else better than the RS46's better blacks.

Tough call.

Let's see what others might say...
post #2741 of 2750 Old 09-16-2017, 12:42 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I can tell you that with my RS57, it gets very dark. I had to cover all my LED lights on gear, as they were way too bright on black out scenes. I have my manual iris at -11 and on Auto 2 dynamic.

That's right, I just remembered the RS46 doesn't have a dynamic iris. So now that I think about it, I dunno if clamping the RS46 manual iris all the way down for the best blacks is far enough on it's own. And even if so, the overall image on bright scenes is gonna be too dim for that 110" screen.

I'm leaning to the RS400 now...
post #2742 of 2750 Old 09-16-2017, 04:43 AM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the input.

post #2743 of 2750 Old 09-23-2017, 06:41 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Haven't been too active for a couple yrs but thinking of some changes and starting with lowering my screen about 5-6", the projector is ceiling mounted and hangs as low as 11" from ceiling to bottom of projector. Worried about the throw and angle, don't want to lose pic quality. Pictures are below, forgive the mess. Any advise or thoughts are appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0030.JPG (872.1 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0032.JPG (869.8 KB, 21 views)

RTi A7's, CSI A6, FXi A4's | Emotive XPA-5 | JVC DLA RS46 | Panamax M5300 PM | Pioneer Elite | Seymour Screen
post #2744 of 2750 Old 09-23-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Myke View Post
Haven't been too active for a couple yrs but thinking of some changes and starting with lowering my screen about 5-6", the projector is ceiling mounted and hangs as low as 11" from ceiling to bottom of projector. Worried about the throw and angle, don't want to lose pic quality. Pictures are below, forgive the mess. Any advise or thoughts are appreciated.
I wanted to mount my 2.35:1 screen that high but I was worried about it looking especially terrible when I was zoomed in and it displayed 16x9 content that would spill onto the ceiling instead of just the walls. Does that bother you at all or how does that work?
post #2745 of 2750 Old 09-24-2017, 07:53 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 2052 Post(s)
Liked: 1677
Quote:
Not sure what kind of ceiling mount you have, but my Chief RPMA mounts allow for an extension tube to have the projector drop down lower. However, I think the lens shift should be fine in your case.

My scope screen was mounted a bit higher initially, but I didn't like the feeling of looking up so lowered it at least 5-6 inches. I like my eyes to be closer to bottom 1/3 to middle of screen. Feels more immersive and comfortable.
post #2746 of 2750 Old 09-25-2017, 11:21 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidHir View Post
My scope screen was mounted a bit higher initially, but I didn't like the feeling of looking up so lowered it at least 5-6 inches. I like my eyes to be closer to bottom 1/3 to middle of screen. Feels more immersive and comfortable.
When people are first setting up their screen height, they should also consider their head angle. If you watch in a reclined position, with your head/eyes angled upward, then of course you'd have to position the screen higher than if in the sitting upright position.

Many forget this
post #2747 of 2750 Old 09-25-2017, 07:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Thanks all,
Dreamliner- I get no spill unless I need to switch viewing formats initially, which I have programmed so it just a click of a button, otherwise there is no distortion and pic looks proportionate and good.

Davidhir - It's a chief ceiling mount, can't recall model, with a small tube extension, hence the bottom of the proj being 11"" from ceiling.

Fleaman - your spot on and I planned on putting in a riser and the couch is somewhat reclined naturally hence the height, plus i was worried about the angle of the throw.

Prob going to lower it a couple inches and try it but really worried about additional strain on the pic! I looked yesterday and don't have an additional extension for the prom mount. Does anyone know the ideal/max throw distance from projector to screen without compromising the picture?? I use to now but can't recall and I'm looking up so many new things a little help would go far!

RTi A7's, CSI A6, FXi A4's | Emotive XPA-5 | JVC DLA RS46 | Panamax M5300 PM | Pioneer Elite | Seymour Screen
post #2748 of 2750 Old 09-25-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Thanks all,
Dreamliner- I get no spill unless I need to switch viewing formats initially, which I have programmed so it just a click of a button, otherwise there is no distortion and pic looks proportionate and good.

Davidhir - It's a chief ceiling mount, can't recall model, with a small tube extension, hence the bottom of the proj being 11"" from ceiling.

Fleaman - your spot on and I planned on putting in a riser and the couch is somewhat reclined naturally hence the height, plus i was worried about the angle of the throw.

Prob going to lower it a couple inches and try it but really worried about additional strain on the pic! I looked yesterday and don't have an additional extension for the prom mount. Does anyone know the ideal/max throw distance from projector to screen without compromising the picture?? I use to now but can't recall and I'm looking up so many new things a little help would go far!
Chief does make different length tube extensions that can be used at least on mine mount...I have the 18" tube.
post #2749 of 2750 Old 09-25-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleaman View Post
When people are first setting up their screen height, they should also consider their head angle. If you watch in a reclined position, with your head/eyes angled upward, then of course you'd have to position the screen higher than if in the sitting upright position.

Many forget this
If you lean your head back...yes for sure. But I sometimes recline on my seat but don't always lean my head back as I curl my legs back. So I am leaning back but my head up. I know, weird.
post #2750 of 2750 Old 09-25-2017, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 2166 Post(s)
Liked: 1137
Quote:
Personally I'd lower it to near the top of that center channel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector , Optoma Hd72 720p Dlp Home Theater Projector , Panasonic Viera Ty Er3d4mu Active Shutter 3d Eyewear , Samsung Ssg 4100gb 3d Active Glasses 2012 Model

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page