EPSON 6020 Owner Thread - Page 5 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #121 of 147 Old 08-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Senior Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Mogrub, I looked at the thread and not sure what to make of it.

No worries, I found it helpful and thought you might too. Before stumbling on that, I didn't appreciate some of the trade-offs involved with gain, for example. Or the different performance a given screen might have with on-axis versus off-axis gain. Or color neutrality of product A versus product B. Jeff's report gave me a place to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

Are all of these screen materials available from every manufacturer or are they proprietary names for individual manufacturers?

Most are proprietary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post


Since I know very little about this, I was relying on the dealer, but nobody on the forum seems to agree with his suggestion.

You will have more fun, and get a better result, if you do some more reading one rainy afternoon. After 3 hours of study, you'll know more about projector screen performance and tradeoffs than 99.9% of the human race will ever know. Otherwise, if you just ask 10 people what to do, you're almost certain to get 10 different answers, leaving you feeling ... a lot like you feel right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post

With the 6020, in a well light-controlled room, mainly for Movies (in the dark), but occaaionally for sports (with a window shade open or light on), a room lenght of 17 ft. and seating about 13 ft from 106" screen-what would be your recommendation?

Individual opinions don't count for much, but since you insist: You say that you'll be watching with a window shade open or a light on sometimes. Based on that fact, one thing that jumps out at me is that you'll need gain.

I am in a similarly sized room as yours, but there are no windows, totally enclosed HT. Even so, I ended up with 1.4 gain, and it is not too much. It's just about perfect for me. I can run the projector in Eco mode constantly, which is huge because I don't want to hear the fan. It would drive me nuts (more than it would most people, since these are fairly quiet pj's) if it had to be running high all the time. But that's just me.

You already know the things that matter to you. You have opinions. You may be a nut for color neutrality. You may prefer really bold, dialed-up color. You may want a super bright screen. None of us know any of that. You may not care if the fan runs on high. All of that is personal preference. Do some reading, learn what some of the trade-offs will be, and think about it. You'll be much happier with your final result.

Think of it this way. You are going to watch thousands of hours of movies and football on this screen. Do yourself a favor, sit down this weekend, and just do 3 hours of research on screen performance. After you do that, you'll probably decide that you need to do a little more, just to answer the new questions that you've raised. Perfect. That will mean you are where you need to be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmunster2 View Post


I have also talked to another dealer who sells Da-Lite (not sure which surface)

If he is a true dealer, he will have access to all of their surfaces.

This is the link from Jeff Meier at AccuCal, for anyone else interested in his excellent (IMHO) screen fabric report:

http://www.accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

Good luck Herm.


Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
mogrub is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #122 of 147 Old 08-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member
 
hmunster2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 569
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Herm, thank you very much-I will put in some time this weekend researching screens. Again, many thanks for your help.
hmunster2 is offline  
post #123 of 147 Old 08-22-2013, 12:04 PM
Senior Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobail View Post

... Yeah, my DVI is super old ... I'll order a 30' Redmere and give it a test before pulling the cable thru the ceiling ... I'll suffer with 1080i until that project.

I feel your pain Hal -- got a drawer full of DVI cables myself. Hopefully the Redmere solves everything. Post back after your experiment!


Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
mogrub is offline  
post #124 of 147 Old 09-05-2013, 12:17 PM
Senior Member
 
adanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 320
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobL View Post

In its best picture quality mode it won't be much different from your RS-40.  However it does have brighter modes that are less accurate that will give plenty of lumens for your screen size.  Another option would be the Sony which is brighter than both projectors in its best picture quality mode.

When you say "the Sony" , assume you mean vw1000es. Are any of the lesser sony's brighter than epson in best picture mode?
adanny is offline  
post #125 of 147 Old 10-03-2013, 06:32 PM
Advanced Member
 
gjlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have been running my 6020UB for a couple of months now, and it looks terrific. I had it ISF calibrated a couple of weeks ago too, and just installed a Darbee Darblet after all the great reviews. I do have one question though - I am confused about the colorspace I should be using. Do I set everything to RGB, YCrCb 4:2:2, YCrCb 4:4:4? I am guessing since I had it calibrated at RGB to just leave it, but...
gjlowe is offline  
post #126 of 147 Old 10-04-2013, 07:51 AM
AVS Special Member
 
dholmes54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Edmonton, Kentucky
Posts: 1,028
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Will some of you owners share your calibrations with me,Ive had the 6020 for a few weeks and just using the thx mode,love this projector so far & I dont think its loud Im running the bulb on high and the fan doesnt bother me with the Epson mounted over my head thanks
dholmes54 is offline  
post #127 of 147 Old 10-08-2013, 04:00 PM
Member
 
cgrasso83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clifton, NJ
Posts: 28
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I plan on purchasing the Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB in the next week (I'm not sure of the difference with the 6020 nor did I see a thread for it) . I was torn between this one and the Sony VPL HW50ES but I think the Epson sounds better to me. My question is about the screen gain. My projector throw distance will be 10 ft in a 17ft long light controlled room. My seating distance will also be 17ft. I've decided to purchase the Elite Screens Cinewhite 100 inch screen with a 1.1 gain or -the same brand and size with Powergain (1.8 gain). Considering the high light output of this projector would 1.1 gain be good enough? I will have a little of ambient light in the room during the day but not much and I'm interested in viewing 3D on this as well. I saw this at ExclusiveTVs for retail price, Is this an authorized online retailer? I want to make sure I'm getting the retail package with the 3yr warranty.

Thank you,
Chris
cgrasso83 is offline  
post #128 of 147 Old 10-09-2013, 09:11 AM
Senior Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by gjlowe View Post

I have been running my 6020UB for a couple of months now, and it looks terrific. I had it ISF calibrated a couple of weeks ago too, and just installed a Darbee Darblet after all the great reviews. I do have one question though - I am confused about the colorspace I should be using. Do I set everything to RGB, YCrCb 4:2:2, YCrCb 4:4:4? I am guessing since I had it calibrated at RGB to just leave it, but...

I think the answer is 444 but you should take that question over here, and you'll get the exact right answer:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1399154/darbee-vision-darblet/6990#post_23801353

Cheers.


Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
mogrub is offline  
post #129 of 147 Old 10-28-2013, 06:54 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
programmergeek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: summit, nj
Posts: 1,047
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgrasso83 View Post

Hi all,

I plan on purchasing the Epson Pro Cinema 6030UB in the next week (I'm not sure of the difference with the 6020 nor did I see a thread for it) . I was torn between this one and the Sony VPL HW50ES but I think the Epson sounds better to me. My question is about the screen gain. My projector throw distance will be 10 ft in a 17ft long light controlled room. My seating distance will also be 17ft. I've decided to purchase the Elite Screens Cinewhite 100 inch screen with a 1.1 gain or -the same brand and size with Powergain (1.8 gain). Considering the high light output of this projector would 1.1 gain be good enough? I will have a little of ambient light in the room during the day but not much and I'm interested in viewing 3D on this as well. I saw this at ExclusiveTVs for retail price, Is this an authorized online retailer? I want to make sure I'm getting the retail package with the 3yr warranty.

Thank you,
Chris

Almost the same, better contrast. Although at this point you should go for the 6030 when they come in I am told by Epson about 10 days before we get them.

Jason
Note: Any posts are of my personal opinions and not to reflect upon any business.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

908 578-6466

programmergeek is offline  
post #130 of 147 Old 10-28-2013, 01:45 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I turned my auto Iris off last night. It makes audible noise when I fast forward my dvr. I'm not sure it really does much anyway.

It still has stellar blacks.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
post #131 of 147 Old 11-07-2013, 04:40 PM
Advanced Member
 
gjlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 595
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Need some help with 3D here. I have some side by side 3D mkv files. I can play them on my 3D plasma, choose the 3D mode, and it works flawlessly to create a proper 3D image. I cannot do the same on my Epson 6020UB projector. When I play the file and configure the projector to side by side mode, it plays only one side of the content, rather than properly creating the 3D image. I then tried every combination I could in the 3D settings, but simply could not make it work. Does anyone have any ideas?

UPDATE: So I figured it out. I first have to put it in side by side mode, and THEN I have to turn on 3D. Then it works! And it looks awesome too! On a side note, do people here like to use 3D THX, Cinema, or Dynamic modes? I like to keep it at THX, but sometimes it just isn't quite bright enough in 3D mode.
gjlowe is offline  
post #132 of 147 Old 11-08-2013, 07:58 AM
Member
 
WarrenBerry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 104
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Question for he owners here. Im having a hard time trying to find this out throigh either epson or the store. Basically I want to use a 6020 with a cinevista stuck in place. Can I switch between 16; 9 to 235:1 with the remote and the lens in place with a button or is it manual?

My Equipment:

Fusion 12 Tempest (LCR)
DIY Sealed 18" Dayton HO Refrence Subs (2)
Electricity
WarrenBerry is offline  
post #133 of 147 Old 11-08-2013, 03:36 PM
Member
 
Two Cents's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Adelaide. South Australia.
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenBerry View Post

Question for he owners here. Im having a hard time trying to find this out throigh either epson or the store. Basically I want to use a 6020 with a cinevista stuck in place. Can I switch between 16; 9 to 235:1 with the remote and the lens in place with a button or is it manual?

Select "Anamorphic wide" in aspects on the remote.

Two Cents is offline  
post #134 of 147 Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM
Member
 
westcott2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 37
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10

The throw distance calculator on this projector shows you can mount it up to 23' back from a 110" screen.   I think I can mount it 22' back in my new room but I've heard you lose brightness mounting it that far back.   Is this true and does it make that big a difference putting it that deep in a room?  If it's a minor change I'm OK w/ that because I will be using a black diamond screen w/ 1.4 gain but I don't want to design the room for the projector to be 22' back if it really impacts the brightness of the picture.

 

Also - is it OK to set the projector in a coffer that sits 12" down from ceiling but will be open in front and have 1-2 feet in back as well or do I need to put some kind of fan in it?    If that doesn't work I thought about leaving the bottom open of the coffer and ceiling mount it and just let it hang down w/ an opening in the coffer. 

 

Is the fan as loud as some people say?   I've been torn between the Sony & Epson but I now need to make a decision within the next week.   The reason I am leaning towards the Epson is because it has a deeper throw distance so I can mount it in the back of the room hence the question above.

 

Thanks

westcott2010 is offline  
post #135 of 147 Old 01-03-2014, 08:12 PM
Member
 
sfatula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Calera, OK
Posts: 63
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see lots of people liking thx or natural modes, as do I. Except for one thing.... When watching say ESPN, and, scrolling text on the bottom as they do, it breaks up in all modes except Cinema. Is there another setting to deal with the text so I can use thx? Source is HD Espn from Dish Hopper in 1080i and looks perfect on HDTV and in Cinema mode.
sfatula is offline  
post #136 of 147 Old 04-16-2014, 06:38 AM
Newbie
 
Curamrda's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Europe - Czech Republic
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10

can somebody write me main differences between 6020 vs 6030 vs 5020 ? thanks

Curamrda is offline  
post #137 of 147 Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 PM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
10 and 1000

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
post #138 of 147 Old 04-27-2014, 05:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Yzfbossman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Frisco, TX
Posts: 258
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I was taking some pictures and ....and thought I would do a screen shot:




Here is my build thread:

---->
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<----
Yzfbossman is offline  
post #139 of 147 Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 AM
Newbie
 
loperasovic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

10 and 1000

10 and 1010, Maths Hero
loperasovic is offline  
post #140 of 147 Old 05-03-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member
 
James A. McGahee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I recently purchased the 6020UB to replace an aging projector.
Two concerns:
1). I am unable to turn off the projector with my Harmony One remote main power off button. All other devices turn off but the 6020 sends a screen message to press any other button to power down. If I go to devices/Epson/off it works. Is there any way I can get the Epson to power all the way down from the remote's main power off button like all the other devices w/o having to dig down to do so?
2) Planning on getting a flat panel TV. What current brands and models have 3D glasses that will work well with the Epson 6020UB?
Thanks-I appreciate your time!
James A. McGahee is offline  
post #141 of 147 Old 05-04-2014, 05:48 AM
Senior Member
 
JeffreyJonesBSME's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Greenwood, Indiana
Posts: 409
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I did a review of Valueview glasses in one of these threads for 5020 (I think).
Check it out. They worked great.

"Engineers aren't boring people, we just get excited over boring things".
--Anon.

 

 

JeffreyJonesBSME is offline  
post #142 of 147 Old 05-05-2014, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Ron Jones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Florida and West Virginia, USA
Posts: 5,862
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by James A. McGahee View Post

I recently purchased the 6020UB to replace an aging projector.
Two concerns:
1). I am unable to turn off the projector with my Harmony One remote main power off button. All other devices turn off but the 6020 sends a screen message to press any other button to power down. If I go to devices/Epson/off it works. Is there any way I can get the Epson to power all the way down from the remote's main power off button like all the other devices w/o having to dig down to do so?
2) Planning on getting a flat panel TV. What current brands and models have 3D glasses that will work well with the Epson 6020UB?
Thanks-I appreciate your time!

With a harmony remote you need to go into the remote's setup, on your PC, and under the device settings for the 6020 change the power setting to send the "power off" command two times to turn the projector off.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Ron Jones is offline  
post #143 of 147 Old 05-07-2014, 07:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
James A. McGahee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

With a harmony remote you need to go into the remote's setup, on your PC, and under the device settings for the 6020 change the power setting to send the "power off" command two times to turn the projector off.

Thanks!
James A. McGahee is offline  
post #144 of 147 Old 05-12-2014, 08:45 AM
Senior Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyJonesBSME View Post

I did a review of Valueview glasses in one of these threads for 5020 (I think).
Check it out. They worked great.

+1 on that. I read JJ's review and bought some to compare with the Epson factory glasses. They are so similar in visual function that I literally don't care which ones I happen to be wearing.


Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
mogrub is offline  
post #145 of 147 Old 09-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Member
 
zybar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Epson 6020 with anamorphic lens and 2.35 screen - does it make sense?

I am in the process of my moving to a new house where I am building a HT and I need some help/recommendations on what approach to take.

In my current house, I have an SmX AT screen that has 110" diagonal image being fed by an Epson 6020 pj. While I really like this combo, I am leaving the screen as part of the house sale and want to use this opportunity to "upgrade".

In the new space, the theater dimensions will be roughly 13'6" x 23' x 8'6". I would like to do two rows of seating and have a bar immediately behind the second row. The bar will open into a 18' x 21' area that will have a pool table, darts, etc...

For the theater screen, I am probably going to go with a Seymour AV Center Stage XD screen. What I am undecided on is whether I should go with a 2.35 screen or a 1.78 screen.

If I go with a 1.78 screen, it would be almost a 132" diagonal and the frame would be 122" x 71'6".

If I go with a 2.35 screen, it would either be a 141" diagonal (frame size of 136" x 62") or 151" diagonal (frame size of 146" x 66"). These two sizes allow me to have a larger 16:9 image for sports, Xbox, etc... than I currently have, plus a really big viewing area for movies.

I know that my Epson 6020 be able to fill the 16:9 image on either sized 2.35 screen, but will it have enough output to handle the 2.35 image?

Also, since the 6020 doesn't have lens memory, I would either need to add an anamorphic lens - correct? From my research, I am worried that the "lower cost" fixed lens option (such as the Panamorph CineVista) will be too much of a compromise for 16:9 viewing...thoughts?

What options are out there for a manual sled to allow me to use the anamorphic lens for movies and move it out of the way for 16:9 material.

Lastly, instead of spending "X" on an anamorphic lens and mount, I am better off selling the Epson 6020 and getting a different pj with lens memory?

BTW, the HT I am somewhat loosely basing things on is this one:

http://www.houzz.com/photos/16090722...nt-kansas-city

http://www.houzz.com/photos/16090404...nt-kansas-city

Thanks in advance for your help and thoughts.

George
zybar is offline  
post #146 of 147 Old 09-23-2014, 09:21 AM
Senior Member
 
mogrub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Merica
Posts: 462
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by zybar View Post
I am in the process of my moving to a new house where I am building a HT and I need some help/recommendations on what approach to take ... For the theater screen, I am probably going to go with a Seymour AV Center Stage XD screen. What I am undecided on is whether I should go with a 2.35 screen or a 1.78 screen ... I know that my Epson 6020 be able to fill the 16:9 image on either sized 2.35 screen, but will it have enough output to handle the 2.35 image?
Sounds like a fun project. You may have already read it, but Jeff Meier gives that specific Seymour screen high grades. But there are important caveats in his report. One is the minimum seating distance he recommends for using this material. The other is that while the published gain of that Seymour screen is 1.2, Jeff's measurements show it's significantly lower. The screen actually performs at under 1.0 for both on-axis and off-axis viewing. That's could be a big deal in your new room, with a bigger screen than before.

Did you ever measure gain on your old screen, or do you know it's published value? How is light control in the new room compared to the old room? Have you used a light meter to compare the two rooms yet?

If you haven't already read it, the "Selecting a Screen" section in Jeff's report walks through some of the details you'll need to get sorted to make the best decisions for your new room.

Post back as you move forward. We love our 6020 too, and it's paired with the 110" screen size you're leaving behind. Have you tried a Darbee in your video chain yet? It's a must have. Sorry if I just added a few bucks to your new room project.


Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
mogrub is offline  
post #147 of 147 Old 09-23-2014, 09:46 AM
Member
 
zybar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Holliston, MA
Posts: 145
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Sounds like a fun project. You may have already read it, but Jeff Meier gives that specific Seymour screen high grades. But there are important caveats in his report. One is the minimum seating distance he recommends for using this material. The other is that while the published gain of that Seymour screen is 1.2, Jeff's measurements show it's significantly lower. The screen actually performs at under 1.0 for both on-axis and off-axis viewing. That's could be a big deal in your new room, with a bigger screen than before.

Did you ever measure gain on your old screen, or do you know it's published value? How is light control in the new room compared to the old room? Have you used a light meter to compare the two rooms yet?

If you haven't already read it, the "Selecting a Screen" section in Jeff's report walks through some of the details you'll need to get sorted to make the best decisions for your new room.

Post back as you move forward. We love our 6020 too, and it's paired with the 110" screen size you're leaving behind. Have you tried a Darbee in your video chain yet? It's a must have. Sorry if I just added a few bucks to your new room project.
Thanks for your detailed reply!

I will read those articles tonight.

I did talk with Mike @ AVS yesterday and he recommended that I don't go any bigger than the 141" width screen. Otherwise, he thought that the Epson could handle the size without being too dim.

In regards to the screen, Mike likes the Seymour, but stressed that I need to be at least 11 1/2 to 12 feet away or I will see some of the weave on bright scenes. This is consistent with what I heard from Jon at Seymour.

I am now leaning towards the UH480 anamorphic lens with a manual sled so that I don't compromise my 16:9 experience.

Now I really need to decide if an extra $3500-4000k is worth it for a 141" wide 2.35 screen over a 132" 16:9 screen.

BTW, I do use the Darbee...just forgot to mention it.

George
zybar is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off