EPSON 6020 Owner Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 09:48 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggy2002 View Post
I have had my Epson 6020 for 2 years and 2 months. I have been noticing the screen flickering more and more over time ...
Shaggy, check this out.

BTW, getting Jeff to calibrate our 6020 was the best thing we ever did. Even my wife was blown away. Doing that after a lamp change would be perfect timing.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 171 Old 11-20-2014, 08:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogrub View Post
Shaggy, check this out.

BTW, getting Jeff to calibrate our 6020 was the best thing we ever did. Even my wife was blown away. Doing that after a lamp change would be perfect timing.

I guess I will attempt to replace my bulb this weekend. Where is Jeff located?
post #153 of 171 Old 11-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I guess I will attempt to replace my bulb this weekend. Where is Jeff located?
I think he lives somewhere out near Lake of the Ozarks, but he has a national audience, and travels to most major US cities once or twice a year. Check out the accucal.com site for details or I can just pm you his email address. He also does that blog that I sent the flickering article from. Lots of good stuff there. He gave the 6020 a best in class review after calibrating mine. I had tinkered with mine a bunch, but he just nailed it. Cheers.

Every once in a while, quite inexplicably, things actually go according to plan.
post #154 of 171 Old 11-21-2014, 09:09 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
I think he lives somewhere out near Lake of the Ozarks, but he has a national audience, and travels to most major US cities once or twice a year. Check out the accucal.com site for details or I can just pm you his email address. He also does that blog that I sent the flickering article from. Lots of good stuff there. He gave the 6020 a best in class review after calibrating mine. I had tinkered with mine a bunch, but he just nailed it. Cheers.

I checked the site out. It looks like I just ask for someone and they send an available technician? If it is not too personal, can you PM the rate for the calibration and his email address?
post #155 of 171 Old 11-21-2014, 10:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I checked the site out. It looks like I just ask for someone and they send an available technician? If it is not too personal, can you PM the rate for the calibration and his email address?
Happy to send. But it is Jeff, and only Jeff. Nobody else. Big plus.

post #156 of 171 Old 11-22-2014, 01:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Quote:
Happy to send. But it is Jeff, and only Jeff. Nobody else. Big plus.
+1 for Jeff. I had him calibrate my 6020 and adjust my audio. Both produced noticeable improvment.

Here is my build thread:

---->Like a Boss Theater Build<----
post #157 of 171 Old 11-22-2014, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well I went to watch a movie tonight and nothing happened. I checked out the projector and both the temperature and lamp lights were flashing red. Manual says to unplug it and call Epson but since they aren't open until Monday I tried unplugging it for a bit, turning it on and off using the the switch at the back, and just for the hell of it I tried swapping out the bulb with the spare that came with it.

Nothing. When you turn it on the fan kicks in for about 2 seconds and then it shuts down with the 2 lights flashing red.

Any suggestions?

For what its worth I've never had an issue with this projector and I'm sure Epson will swap it out but that still means no Far Cry 4 until next weekend. I couldn't possible play games on my 55" Samsung like some kind of troglodyte.
post #158 of 171 Old 02-15-2015, 09:02 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingpin748 View Post
Well I went to watch a movie tonight and nothing happened. I checked out the projector and both the temperature and lamp lights were flashing red. Manual says to unplug it and call Epson but since they aren't open until Monday I tried unplugging it for a bit, turning it on and off using the the switch at the back, and just for the hell of it I tried swapping out the bulb with the spare that came with it.

Nothing. When you turn it on the fan kicks in for about 2 seconds and then it shuts down with the 2 lights flashing red.

Any suggestions?

For what its worth I've never had an issue with this projector and I'm sure Epson will swap it out but that still means no Far Cry 4 until next weekend. I couldn't possible play games on my 55" Samsung like some kind of troglodyte.
kingpin748, did you get the issue fixed? The same thing just happened to me. I tried leaving it unplugged for a while but I get the same red flashing temp and lamp lights.
post #159 of 171 Old 02-15-2015, 09:07 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rb47 View Post
kingpin748, did you get the issue fixed? The same thing just happened to me. I tried leaving it unplugged for a while but I get the same red flashing temp and lamp lights.
RB and Kingpin, how many run hours on your units the last time you checked that in the settings menu?

post #160 of 171 Old 02-15-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
RB and Kingpin, how many run hours on your units the last time you checked that in the settings menu?

I can't get into the menus but my Control4 system is showing 763 hours of lamp use. I installed the projector around July of 2013.
post #161 of 171 Old 02-15-2015, 06:34 PM

I think the issue might have been with the motorized lens cover. I manually opened the sliding cover and then turned it on. This time no blinking lights.

My guess is if the motor senses too much resistance it give the error condition. It turned on OK twice so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
post #162 of 171 Old 02-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I think the issue might have been with the motorized lens cover. I manually opened the sliding cover and then turned it on. This time no blinking lights.

My guess is if the motor senses too much resistance it give the error condition. It turned on OK twice so I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Sweet. Thanks for the update. Are you still on the original lamp? And if you can, go into settings and post back with how many run hours you have on your 6020. Glad you're back in business. 👍

post #163 of 171 Old 02-16-2015, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Are you still on the original lamp? And if you can, go into settings and post back with how many run hours you have on your 6020.
I am on the original lamp. I did go in last night and check the run time, it was around 970 hours.
post #164 of 171 Old 02-16-2015, 09:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I am on the original lamp. I did go in last night and check the run time, it was around 970 hours.
Thanks RB, good to know.

post #165 of 171 Old 07-07-2015, 04:08 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Sorry to resurrect and old thread can any of you owners chime in as it would help me in making my decision between a 6020 and a 6030.
1. the room its going in will have tons of ambient light. So not sure if the extra contrast ratio will make a difference.
2. It will be paired with a black diamond zero edge screen. May go for the 2:35:1 aspect ratio still on fence between 16x9
3. Stuck on the fence between split screen 6020 and picture in picture 6030. - have any owners utilized the 2 features on the models. I have an hdfury so I can convert vga and component inputs to HDMI. So then I should be able to use the split screen or pip with 2 hdmi sources.
4. Is the picture really that much different between the 2 series.
5. Will be using 3d and 2d features. preferably 3d blurays if I go with split screen then watching cable tv.
6. AV unit does multi zones. so getting a signal to it wont be a problem
post #166 of 171 Old 07-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigwhyritos View Post
... can any of you owners chime in as it would help me in making my decision between a 6020 and a 6030 ... it will be paired with a black diamond zero edge screen. May go for the 2:35:1 aspect ratio still on fence between 16x9 ...
Can't help much, but ordinarily wouldn't you prefer going with the newer model? If they're at roughly the same price point, that's what I'd do. Or spend a little extra for one of the new Epson laser models. :-O

Our 6020 is paired with a Black Diamond 1.4 gain screen and it works. Are you buying the screen, or do you already have it? The only issue that distracts me with the Black Diamond are the sparkles on the white sections of a bright shot, but obviously gain is always a trade-off, and you already know all about that.

On the split versus PIP, I've always found PIP more useful for my limited needs, but you probably know how you'll use that specific feature, and which would fit you best. In the room where our Epson is installed, we use it exclusively to watch things in a pretty focused way, so splitting the screen is something we really don't do in there.

Good luck and post back with impressions once you buy.

post #167 of 171 Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM

[Can't help much, but ordinarily wouldn't you prefer going with the newer model? ---> only if the newer model makes a real noticeable difference. look at how many peole buy used cars lol.
If they're at roughly the same price point, that's what I'd do - laser projector -- lol might as well get the sony if I was going to spend that much with true 4k panels.
--------------------------

6020 I can get for under $2,000 | 6030 is almost 3,500 |

The only issue that distracts me with the Black Diamond are the sparkles on the white sections of a bright shot, but obviously gain is always a trade-off, and you already know all about that.-
Worried the 6030 will make more noticeable sparkles on the screen as its brighter and has higher contrast ratio.

I was thinking of splitting it for sports and tv. wife can watch what she wants. I could use headphones. or 2 different movies at the same time.
mad at epson for removing that feature on the newer model.

they both do anamorphic stretch. Besides the sparkles are you satisfied with the 6020 or have you seen the 6030 demoed. I cant find no one in my area to demo either. Also worried since 6020 is discontinued why they took it out of service.
post #168 of 171 Old 07-13-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
... only prefer if the newer model makes a real noticeable difference ... 6020 I can get for under $2,000 ... 6030 is almost 3,500 ... they both do anamorphic stretch.

Besides the sparkles are you satisfied with the 6020 or have you seen the 6030 demoed ... Also worried since 6020 is discontinued why they took it out of service.
Sorry late reply. At those price points, I hear you on leaning toward the 6020. I have not seen the 6030 in service, but the products are very similar. At those price points, it would be an easy choice for me.

We love our 6020UB. It's been in flawless service for 2+ years now. Very bright, very color accurate, great blacks, and sneaky sharp for it's price class. Couldn't be more pleased with it. We will keep it for at least a couple more years, with a 4K pj as it's long term replacement some day.

And I don't blame the 6020 for the sparkles. The screen gain is the cause, but I don't blame the screen either. It was a trade-off, and I knew that going into it. Plus I'm the only one that notices em anyway. :-O

The one thing I would recommend, especially since you're saving a nice chunk of cash by going with the 6020, is to get somebody really, really good to do the calibration for you. Jeff Meier calibrated our new 6020 after we'd watched it (very happily) for a couple months. I had done some good tweaking, but in 3 hours Jeff turned that 6020 into a complete bad a**. (He's got a huge passion for the work, and owns a ton of expensive tools that I could never rationalize buying.) Most folks that watch a Blu-Ray play in our room since then say its head and shoulders the best image they've ever seen.

BTW, if you're on the fence, here is Jeff's review of the 6020, which he wrote immediately after calibrating our machine.

There are a bunch of good machines out there, so good luck with whatever you do!

Last edited by mogrub; 07-13-2015 at 09:02 AM. Reason: typo
post #169 of 171 Old 07-15-2015, 09:02 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1947 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Sorry to resurrect and old thread can any of you owners chime in as it would help me in making my decision between a 6020 and a 6030.
1. the room its going in will have tons of ambient light. So not sure if the extra contrast ratio will make a difference.
2. It will be paired with a black diamond zero edge screen. May go for the 2:35:1 aspect ratio still on fence between 16x9
3. Stuck on the fence between split screen 6020 and picture in picture 6030. - have any owners utilized the 2 features on the models. I have an hdfury so I can convert vga and component inputs to HDMI. So then I should be able to use the split screen or pip with 2 hdmi sources.
4. Is the picture really that much different between the 2 series.
5. Will be using 3d and 2d features. preferably 3d blurays if I go with split screen then watching cable tv.
6. AV unit does multi zones. so getting a signal to it wont be a problem
You going to m anually adjust, at the projector, lens shift and zoom, everytime you switch back and forth from 16:9 to 2.35? That will become a pain, real fast. The 6020 does not have lens memory, neither does the 6030, so 2.35 is not a good choice, unless you are getting an A-lens and or a Lumagen video processor. If you want to go 2.35, and not buy anything extra, then you need a projector with lens memory, like the JVC's

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha & MiniDSP.
post #170 of 171 Old 07-25-2015, 02:55 PM

Thanks for all the input but I ended up going with the 6020 for 1,900 with 377 on the original bulb and a new sealed spare bulb with chief mount and 4 pair of the Epson 3d glasses.
The main reason I decided against the 6030 was the pip vs split screen. Right now I use a hdfury connected to the component input so I can run hdmi from my TiVo for the wife
and the main hdmi goes to the mutli zone SONY av unit. I also use wireless hdmi. We don't have to fight over the tv with the split screen.
I just wish I could have seen the 6030 in action with the frame interpolation in 3d. I read the 6020 doesn't do that or super resolution in 3d.
My 3d collection is at 150 movies. I ts a huge step up from my 2 ) 24 inch sony ps3 3d tvs
post #171 of 171 Old Today, 11:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the input ... I ended up going with the 6020 for 1,900 with 377 on the original bulb and a new sealed spare bulb with chief mount and 4 pair of the Epson 3d glasses ... My 3d collection is at 150 movies.
Sounds like a good deal. You will be very happy with the 6020's 3D performance. Urge you to plow some of the money you saved into an excellent ISF calibration. BTW, I like 3D, but at 150 movies you're lapping me several times over. Post your titles somewhere for us to see. Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page