Panny 8000 or what else in the same ballpark? This year's model or last years also? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-05-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 617
So what is the deal out there right now?!?! I haven't looked at all the newest PJ's but before they came out I was almost sold on the BenQw7000 over an Epson 5010 or the Ae7000. What bests any of those now? or is it close enough that the w7000 would still be a great option?

(European models do not accept banana plugs.)

"If you done it, it ain't bragging." ~ Walt Whitman

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

Beast's DIY Master Measurement Thread

DIY Emminence Coaxial Surround Thread

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-06-2012, 07:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I see the AE has some enhancements to the 3D mode which looks new from previous years.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #3 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I also like talking to myself!

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #4 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Beastaudio,

The usual suspects that compare to the Panasonic 8000 are the Sony 50, JVC RS46,
Epson 5020, Benq7000 (no update on this model yet). All are pretty good, but a few thoughts on your use:
1. How much 3D are you interested in. BenQ700 is probably stillthe best for that, followed by the Epson 5020 and SOny 50. JVC is just starting to distribute the RS46, so most don't know how the 3D compares yet, but it has been the worst for 3D so far. However, JVC has been the best for contrast, although SOny is very close, and the Epson just a bit behind JVC as well.

2. Do you need lens memory to go between 2:35 and 16:9 screen? JVC and of course the Panasonic 8000 are the only 2. Epson and SOny are manual controls (so still possible, but more work.

All of my info has been from reading zombie10k's excellent threads. I have no dog in the fight (so to speak), but am hoping to upgrade one of these days. I'l dig up his threads for you (for this year and last year), They are great, and compare all of the more recent models in this price range. (except the panasonic, so far).

Darren A.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 09:09 AM

post #6 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 10:20 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post

Beastaudio,
The usual suspects that compare to the Panasonic 8000 are the Sony 50, JVC RS46,
Epson 5020, Benq7000 (no update on this model yet). All are pretty good, but a few thoughts on your use:
1. How much 3D are you interested in. BenQ700 is probably stillthe best for that, followed by the Epson 5020 and SOny 50. JVC is just starting to distribute the RS46, so most don't know how the 3D compares yet, but it has been the worst for 3D so far. However, JVC has been the best for contrast, although SOny is very close, and the Epson just a bit behind JVC as well.
2. Do you need lens memory to go between 2:35 and 16:9 screen? JVC and of course the Panasonic 8000 are the only 2. Epson and SOny are manual controls (so still possible, but more work.
All of my info has been from reading zombie10k's excellent threads. I have no dog in the fight (so to speak), but am hoping to upgrade one of these days. I'l dig up his threads for you (for this year and last year), They are great, and compare all of the more recent models in this price range. (except the panasonic, so far).
Darren A.

I currently have the rs40, and although the contrast is wonderful, I would be willing to sacrifice that somewhat for a brighter image, and better 3d for that matter. I don't watch a WHOLE lot of 3d, but I do enjoy it. The projector is used for a lot of sports viewing with lights on, and a decent amount of movies but my main use of the HT is for music.

I don't need lens memory as I currently have as wide a screen as I can get at 16:9 and "Black Bars" don't really bother me all that much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by optoguy View Post

This years projectors:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1434826/sony-hw50-benq-w7000-epson-5020-jvc-rs55-jvc-rs-46-jvc-rs4810-jvc-rs56-mini-shootout-2012-2013/1560#post_22661103
Last years projectors:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1382091/jvc-rs-45-sony-hw30-benq-w7000-epson-5010-mini-shootout
Hope the comparisons help. They're long, but a lot of really good info.
Darren A.

I love zomb's shootouts, it is just so much info, and so far, I havent seen anyone really compare the panny8k to previous year's stuff. I also would have to say my budget is around $3k but $2k certainly sounds much better if the performance is not a huge leap ahead.

AE TD12x SEOS12 Build

post #7 of 7 Old 12-10-2012, 12:05 PM

You're right, not a lot of comparison to the Panasonic 8000. Not sure if that says anything (i heard the Panasonic 7000 had low lumens after calibration, but the 8000 has hseemed to improve on this.) Maybe a Benq7000 added to use for only 3D/ save the bulb for the JVC for the dark movies? Or an Epson 5010 or 5020 (not much diference in performnance it seems except for the RF glasses in the 5020), and add in the Light Power Edition (LPE) filter from Germany if you can find it. Sounds like it can be a light cannon. I went looking for the thread on the LPE/ Light power Edition, but can't seem to find it (may be in the under $3000 threads?)

Good luck, difficult decision as they allseem to have some type of compromise!

Darren A.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Panasonic Ptae8000u Hd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs40u
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page