Need advice on DLP vs LCD for a room with ambient light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Plan to buy a projector in a couple of months.
Already am looking to buy one for quite some time but it never happend.

One of the reasons beeing is that I will probably will use it instead of my TV,
so that means almost 5 hours a day during the week and even more in the weekend.
Another issue is that it is impossible for me to have a dedicated room for it.
So it cannot be pitch black (for sure not when it is still light outside) and will have some ambient light.
The advantage (I think) is that the room is not that huge and that the maximum distance for the projector will be around 4m (13ft).

Now the thing is that an old friend of mine who has experience with venues told me once that the DLP technology was better.
Had to do with the color degradation and the pixel shift of the LCD panels that can occur.
But this is already ages ago so wonder how the inorganic LCD can handle these?

So far I had my eyes on:
- Mistubishi HC7800D - DLP they sadly do not sell the 7900 in the EU (wonder if it will be bright enough)
- Epson 6020UB - LCD (so wonder about the issues above regarding LCD color degradation and so on)

- Benq W7000 - DLP (bright enough....but lamp life is a severe issue, and also the noise level)
- JVC X30 - DiLA (LCOS) (but they also seem to have the degradation effect and pixel shift?)

Also...horizontal an vertical lens shift is a must.

Hope you can give any feedback about the LCD "issues" according to your experience and any suggestions.

Already a happy 2013
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I've owned a Mitsubishi HC7800D. I would avoid it like the plague. While it's a decent 3D projector, the dynamic iris implementation is god awful and is unusable. This makes the 2D experience sub-par compared to the rest of the unit's you've listed. If you want a DLP unit to look at that has solid black levels with a good dynamic iris implementation look at the Sharp XV-Z30000. The Epson is your best choice for a 3LCD projector and is pretty good at 3D, though not the best. Many will point out that you should get the JVC x30. Many will not tell you some of it's drawbacks. The biggest and most apparent drawback to JVC's DILA is native response times of the panels. This limits to how well the motion is on these projectors. It's the main reason I can't own one. I've owned a JVC X3 and a JVC RS20. While the newer models seem better than the older the issue is still far from gone. Some people aren't aware of the issue because they either can't see it or it just doesn't bother them as much as it does for others. If you can, demo one in person as it's the only way to see if it's something that would be bothersome to you.

Out of the ones you listed I would choose the Epson 6020. In your price range the Sharp I mentioned is also very good for a mid level DLP machine.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #3 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter

and what about the color degradation and pixel shift? Is that something to 'worry' about if you plan to use the projector a lot when it is an LCD?
Would not like it that the panels are faded after 3 years of use or so.
If that can be the case I would rather trade in some extra lumens and go with DLP.

But if these issues are no longer something to worry about LCD would be a better option for using it in a room with ambient light.
post #4 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Yes, LCDs are prone to yellowing over time and pixel shifting is going to happen on all 3 chip systems no matter the technology. If you wish to avoid both of these issues, a single chip DLP is immune to both and would be the logical choice. It also has the best native response time of all three panel types so motion will be the best also.

post #5 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for the quick reply.
Will have a look at the sharp.
But am afraid it is over my budget around here.
onther option is the Benq W7000, but low lamp life is a bit of a downer (also the noise level).
Black level is also not "great" it seems.
post #6 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

I also want to add that you don't need to have the brightest projector in the world to fend off ambient light. You could pair basically any projector with a high gain screen and have great results. I use a Da-Lite High Power 2.4 gain screen with my Marantz VP-11S1 and I am very happy with the results. I use a high power screen because the Marantz is a fairly dim projector, especially compared to many recent home theater models that have hit the market recently. So, depending on how large of a screen you want you should be able to fend off any ambient light issues with basically any home theater projector as long as you have an appropriate screen to go with it,

post #7 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 12:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyVE View Post

thanks for the quick reply.
Will have a look at the sharp.
But am afraid it is over my budget around here.
onther option is the Benq W7000, but low lamp life is a bit of a downer (also the noise level).
Black level is also not "great" it seems.

Yes, the BenQ will be sharp and bright, but it's going to be very far behind all the projectors mentioned here when it comes to contrast numbers. I assumed you were in that price range as the MSRP of the JVC is very close to the Sharp. EIther way if you can swing it, the sharp is pretty decent. I think they have the price set a bit high for what it offers. I've heard rumors that Sharp is going to bring the price down on it. I don't know when that's going to happen though. Probably not till after the holidays.

post #8 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 01:32 PM - Thread Starter

I'll keep my eyes on the sharp. :-)

Screen would be around 100-110.
So this will compensate for the ambient light if I look at most calculations.

What about the Sharp XV-Z17000?
Seems to fall in the same price category around here.

again...thanks for giving me all the good advice.
post #9 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yes, the BenQ will be sharp and bright, but it's going to be very far behind all the projectors mentioned here when it comes to contrast numbers. I assumed you were in that price range as the MSRP of the JVC is very close to the Sharp. EIther way if you can swing it, the sharp is pretty decent. I think they have the price set a bit high for what it offers. I've heard rumors that Sharp is going to bring the price down on it. I don't know when that's going to happen though. Probably not till after the holidays.

I like the Sharp XV-Z30000 too but like you said the price is a bit high and hard to find. I hope they can bring the price down to 3K.
I know Best Buy is clearing out the Z17000 for around $1700.
post #10 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyVE View Post

I'll keep my eyes on the sharp. :-)
Screen would be around 100-110.
So this will compensate for the ambient light if I look at most calculations.
What about the Sharp XV-Z17000?
Seems to fall in the same price category around here.
again...thanks for giving me all the good advice.

Stay away from the XV-Z17000. It's basically a Sharp business model that they tried to turn into a home theater projector.

post #11 of 11 Old 12-06-2012, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
[quote name="Seegs108" url="/t/1443760/need-advice-on-dlp-vs-lcd-for-a-room-with-ambient-light#post_The biggest and most apparent drawback to JVC's DILA is native response times of the panels. This limits to how well the motion is on these projectors. It's the main reason I can't own one. I've owned a JVC X3 and a JVC RS20. While the newer models seem better than the older the issue is still far from gone. Some people aren't aware of the issue because they either can't see it or it just doesn't bother them as much as it does for others. If you can, demo one in person as it's the only way to see if it's something that would be bothersome to you.
Out of the ones you listed I would choose the Epson 6020. In your price range the Sharp I mentioned is also very good for a mid level DLP machine.[/quote]

I Agree 100 percent! I owned a jvcx70 and motion was one of the main reasons I sold it and moved to a 3 chip dlp
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Sharp Xv Z30000 Dlp , Sharp He Xvz17000 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector
Gear in this thread - Hc7800d by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page