Qualia 004 Bulb Replacement - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-06-2012, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know there is a long thread on this, but it addresses primarily the Ruby projector and doesn't provide specifics for the Qualia. I have disassembled a worn out lamp assembly from my Qualia 004. The bulb in the assembly is a Perkin Elmer Y1848C. This is a Type C (Cermax) 700W Xenon bulb. It is physically and apparently similar electrically to open market bulbs PE700C-10F/PE700C-10UV/PE700C-13F/PE700C-13UV. These open market bulbs differ in focal distance and UV spectrum from each other, and it isn't clear if any are functionally equivalent to the Y1848C used in the Qualia.
To complicate things, Perkin Elmer sold the division that makes these bulbs to a new company named Excelitas. I have a request into them, but not sure if they will be able to help, or if they will take the "proprietary part made for Sony" position.
Has anyone been able to find a replacement for the Y1848C on the open market? Replacing it in the assembly is quite simple, and starting with a new bulb at ~$800-$1000 is much more economical that starting with a $3000 complete assembly from Sony (if Sony even sells that anymore).
Nice situation we have here - a product I paid $30k for in 2004, that was obsoleted by Sony in 2006, and a supplier that sold the division that made the replacement part I need to a new company. Ebay is a useful source for a while longer I expect, but it won't be long before the remaining new assemblies from Sony dry up and the price starts going higher than even the original $3000 price.
Thanks for any help.
Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-2012, 01:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is an update. There is a company in Florida that sells the Qualia 004 lamp for $875. They were
used by Sony to relamp used lamp assemblies. Replacing the lamp in a used heatsink assembly appears
to be quite straightforward. I have disassembled a used assembly without any issues, and see no
problems to reassemble it with a new lamp. The lamp is provided with the necessary thermal grease,
and the only thing that has to be done carefully is the application of the grease, which needs to be just
a skim layer in some places and more heavily in others. Atlas will provide guidance as necessary on
this.
Atlas can also relamp an existing assembly if the user prefers that, although I don't have a cost for that.
Atlas is using the same lamp in another application and expect to have the lamp in stock for the
foreseeable future, which is good news for us abandoned Qualia owners.

Here is the contact information

Ralph Felten, Jr.
Atlas Specialty Lighting
7304 N Florida Avenue
Tampa, FL 33604
Office: (813) 238-6481
Fax: (813) 238-6656
Ralph Felten

I probably won't be doing this for another year or two since I just put a complete new Sony assembly in
my Qualia, but best of luck to anyone who tries it.

Mike
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page