DYNAMIC BLACK problems with BENQ W7000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 20 Old 12-08-2012, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I dont know what 's the problem with this model... this is my second unit for the same problem : When the dynamic Black option is ON after a matter of time the screen comes very dark almost black ... nothing to do.. and i turn off the dynamic black option and everything comes to normal. I change my first unit cause of this problem. My friend buy one and he got the same probs too. It seems to happen after a week or two of use.. (100 hrs of use...) Do you know about it ????? have you heard about this issue.... ????

THANKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Turn off dynamic black.

Even in my $40K SIm2, it is not ready for prime time and mine is always off.

There are more than a handful of [op amps] that sound so good that most designers want to be using them as opposed to discreet transistors. Dave Reich, Theta 2009
post #3 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 12:05 PM

I'm on my 3rd projector because of this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland View Post

Turn off dynamic black.

The iris is completely failing. It clamps all the way shut. I don't think that turning off the iris is a reasonable compromise.
post #4 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 12:10 PM

Basically I'm going to keep exchanging this until they give me a proper unit or they cut me a check for the amount of the projector so that I can buy a projector from a different manufacturer.
post #5 of 20 Old 12-09-2012, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by imblind View Post

Basically I'm going to keep exchanging this until they give me a proper unit or they cut me a check for the amount of the projector so that I can buy a projector from a different manufacturer.

thats what im thinking of.... but this is a really great unit ( 3D !!! ) and for gaming too ... but the IRIS is ****ed up on every single unit !!!!! too much trouble to send back my unit ....

i ll ask for a free lamp bulb and i will be happy. If at least i can be sure that i can get a new unit without this problem : 90% of units has this issue...
im a big user , wathcing movies, gaming, computer,,,, 40 hrs a week.... thats why i got this problem instead of a casual user who did not notice that at all...
post #6 of 20 Old 12-11-2012, 10:34 PM

I have the unit since 5/12 and it still looks great with the DB on. Maybe I am the lucky one? Here is how my unit looks with DB on:

post #7 of 20 Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mine failed within the first 20 hours. I'm sending it back, and will try a 2nd one. If the 2nd one doesn't work, I'm done with BenQ.
post #8 of 20 Old 12-26-2012, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Mine also failed in the first 10-20 hours. It was an October build. My exchange unit is a November build and I now have about the same number of hours without failure. I will say, however, the iris on the second is much quieter during operation, so I'm hoping that is a good sign. The first unit's iris was very noticeably loud. My projector is about 3' away from my head and on the second unit, I can hear it operating, but it is not intrusive.

I was aware of what seems to be a lot of failures, but I needed the lens shift and hoped I would luck out. The jury is still out on my second unit...........
post #9 of 20 Old 12-27-2012, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing or kayaking )
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 189
Quote:
Turn off dynamic black.

Really Jeff? I've put about 1100 hours on mine. I can only notice it misbehave on a couple of scenes in a couple of movies out of 450 movies. And white ending credits on a black screen at the end of a movie ( no biggie ). You might want to try coldmachines re-set for it.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #10 of 20 Old 01-03-2013, 04:40 PM

What is "coldmachines re-set" ? I have the very rare problem with the DB, twice in 6 months both when my son plays video games.
post #11 of 20 Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldschoolratz View Post

I dont know what 's the problem with this model... this is my second unit for the same problem : When the dynamic Black option is ON after a matter of time the screen comes very dark almost black ... nothing to do.. and i turn off the dynamic black option and everything comes to normal. I change my first unit cause of this problem. My friend buy one and he got the same probs too. It seems to happen after a week or two of use.. (100 hrs of use...) Do you know about it ????? have you heard about this issue.... ????
THANKS
Benq called me This Morning , they recognized de problems they change the unit fro the new w7000 PLUS (without this malfunction) the old model is not on the market anymore... Im very happy if some of you got the same problems dont hesitate. Every single unit have this malfuntion but you must be an hardcore user to notice it cause it appears after 3 or 4 hrs of use in a row... If you just watch a movie on saturday night with your family it doesnt bother you for sure.
post #12 of 20 Old 07-11-2013, 05:03 PM

I can't believe I found someone with the same issue! I had a W6000 that had this issue and sent it back to BenQ. They were good enough to send me a W7000 in it's place. After a couple of months, the same issue began occurring with this one as well. I swore it had to be something else in the chain but after swapping everything out, I am back to the projector being the issue. I spoke to the tech at Benq again today and he had asked if. i had tried turning off the Dynamic Black function. I had not but will try it. Either way, I have to say that this should not happen to the picture regardless of the Dynamic Black. I am out of my mind frustrated with this. I am begging for a solution.
post #13 of 20 Old 07-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Liked: 11
What is the iris set to in the service menu?
post #14 of 20 Old 07-12-2013, 01:55 PM

Dynamic black is set to Auto. I changed it to OFF last night and watched a movie with not problems. BenQ reached out to me today to say they would swap it out for me and replace it with a W7000 plus.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Their ****ing w7000 plus doesnt exist after all ... not in north america. They are making me sick with their incapacity to fix this issue. This is my 4th unit and they are not able to admit the problem, Im done with BENQ.
post #16 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 06:06 PM

Liked: 11
Do you have a video of this happening, because four projectors is a lot to go through and have the same issue?
post #17 of 20 Old 09-08-2013, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
There is an easy work-around, disable the IRIS, the IRIS on the Benq is inactive 95% of the time anyways.
If you absolutely want the IRIS, just go into the service menu and change the settings yourself.

If you keep the PJ in the same general mode (like leaving it in Cinema mode), it will probably not do it. Though I'm not 100%, I believe the problem is from changing settings and the IRIS getting in an invalid state.

Going into the service menu and re-adjusting the IRIS should stop it, choose calibrate aperture and check the min/max aperture settings and aperture strength setting.
My IRIS works fine and has never mal-functioned, and I have 2500 hours on the first 1.03 firmware batch from last year (not the +).

I believe once you reset it in the service menu and fix it, it probably will not do it again.

In the service menu, I would first choose RESET Dynamic Black, then RESET Aperture, then adjust the max aperture to a lower number (82 or below), and then adjust the min aperture higher (6-7 or more). Then choose calibrate aperture, wait a few seconds, then close the service menu.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #18 of 20 Old 09-09-2013, 03:28 PM

I received my replacement W7000. I was told it would be a W7000 plus. What I got was a refurbished W7000. My guess is that it was one they got back, went in and fixed the problem and send them back out as replacements and call them the "plus" model. I turned the Dynamic Black to off when setting this one up. So far there have been no issues. Just watch the first weekend of football.

Fingers crossed that this will be the end of my projector issues.
post #19 of 20 Old 09-12-2013, 12:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmr123 View Post

I received my replacement W7000. I was told it would be a W7000 plus. What I got was a refurbished W7000. My guess is that it was one they got back, went in and fixed the problem and send them back out as replacements and call them the "plus" model. I turned the Dynamic Black to off when setting this one up. So far there have been no issues. Just watch the first weekend of football.

Fingers crossed that this will be the end of my projector issues.

Thats what they told me too !!!! they are lying with the plus model. Fool me once ! not twice. im done with them. I know no big deal with the iris set off but i paid for a 100% projector not only a 90% of it...
post #20 of 20 Old 09-12-2013, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 139
Try resetting the IRIS in the service menu, I don't know why you think you have to leave it off.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page