New Epson 5020 owner, Da-Lite HCHP 106" screen w/room, zoom, offset & placement questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 12-12-2012, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My environment (I wanted to do a diagram, but haven't had time):
Room - 13' x 21', viewing on 13' wall, white walls & ceiling with 2 x small (24" x 18") ceiling height windows on viewing wall, behind pull down projector screen, 8' ceiling
Screen - Da-Lite Model B, 106" (maybe larger in future) 2.4 gain, High Contrast, High Gain, pull down, center of screen is 62" from floor
Seating - Dark, 10' wide couch, viewing height 42", 14' back from screen, one end of couch against the wall, 3' isle at other end
Projector - Epson 5020
Mount - 15' back from screen, on floor standing shelf behind seating, height adjustable

Questions:
  1. Lens zoom - Which way is which? Is "more zoom" bigger picture or smaller picture? Is "zoomed out" all the way, the biggest or smallest picture the lens is capable of at a specific distance?
  2. Lens zoom - Is less, more or centered of zoom best? Is the answer projector/lens specific (Epson 5020)? With my 15' distance, on 106" screen, I believe I will be near center of zoom range.
  3. Lens offset - Does anyone know if the Epson 5020 "default/neutral" lens offset is centered, bottom of the projector up, or bottom of the projector down, etc? It's best to use it at the default/neutral, right (please confirm)?
  4. Projector positioning - With the retro-reflective Da-Lite HCHP screen, what would be the optimum projector height? Consider the retro-reflective nature of the screen and the desired minimal lens offset. Center of the lens is 3.3" from the bottom of the projector. The shelf the projector sits on can be adjusted from 48" - 60". I also have the option to move the projector to a wall mounted shelf at about 20' for the screen. I cannot move the projector any higher, due to ceiling light & fan fixture.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can take a look at this & provide feedback.
nicholfd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
millerwill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 11,357
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

My environment (I wanted to do a diagram, but haven't had time):
Room - 13' x 21', viewing on 13' wall, white walls & ceiling with 2 x small (24" x 18") ceiling height windows on viewing wall, behind pull down projector screen, 8' ceiling
Screen - Da-Lite Model B, 106" (maybe larger in future) 2.4 gain, High Contrast, High Gain, pull down, center of screen is 62" from floor
Seating - Dark, 10' wide couch, viewing height 42", 14' back from screen, one end of couch against the wall, 3' isle at other end
Projector - Epson 5020
Mount - 15' back from screen, on floor standing shelf behind seating, height adjustable
Questions:
  1. Lens zoom - Which way is which? Is "more zoom" bigger picture or smaller picture? Is "zoomed out" all the way, the biggest or smallest picture the lens is capable of at a specific distance?
  2. Lens zoom - Is less, more or centered of zoom best? Is the answer projector/lens specific (Epson 5020)? With my 15' distance, on 106" screen, I believe I will be near center of zoom range.
  3. Lens offset - Does anyone know if the Epson 5020 "default/neutral" lens offset is centered, bottom of the projector up, or bottom of the projector down, etc? It's best to use it at the default/neutral, right (please confirm)?
  4. Projector positioning - With the retro-reflective Da-Lite HCHP screen, what would be the optimum projector height? Consider the retro-reflective nature of the screen and the desired minimal lens offset. Center of the lens is 3.3" from the bottom of the projector. The shelf the projector sits on can be adjusted from 48" - 60". I also have the option to move the projector to a wall mounted shelf at about 20' for the screen. I cannot move the projector any higher, due to ceiling light & fan fixture.
Thanks in advance to anyone who can take a look at this & provide feedback.

1.  More zoom makes the pic larger.

 

2.  For most pj's, having it as close to the screen as possible will give the brightest pic; in this case you will need to be near full zoom.    But I would plan on giving a bit of leeway and not being at the absolute extreme of the zoom range.

 

3. Just make sure the pj is square to the screen and use whatever lens shift you need.

 

4.  With the HP screen, you get max brightness if the pj is as close to your eyeballs as possible.   This typically means having it show just above and behind your heads, if this is possible.

millerwill is online now  
post #3 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 03:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Since you bought the HCHP screen-- do you notice any nonuniformity in the grey? Or any blotchiness? This used to be a problem before; I wonder if they've fixed it. I'm still toying between buying a HP or HCHP screen; would prefer the latter for better blacks, but only if they problem's been fixed.

Easy to see any nonuniformity in pans in bright scenes.

Thanks!
sarangiman is offline  
post #4 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't have my screen yet. My screen is supposed to arrive tomorrow (Friday), from Projector People.

When it arrives, I'll reply with my thoughts. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, that will be bummer. i really wanted to have this weekend to get things setup & dialed in.
nicholfd is offline  
post #5 of 40 Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

I don't have my screen yet. My screen is supposed to arrive tomorrow (Friday), from Projector People.
When it arrives, I'll reply with my thoughts. If it doesn't arrive tomorrow, that will be bummer. i really wanted to have this weekend to get things setup & dialed in.

Thanks! I anxiously await your report smile.gif
sarangiman is offline  
post #6 of 40 Old 12-15-2012, 08:12 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My screen arrived Friday and is now mounted. I've watched some TV & flipped through some 3D BluRays. The screen is beautiful, even in my room with white walls & ceiling.

Later this weekend I will do some real watching and testing. I do notice that I have a "blob", rough shaped, near the right edge of the picture, about mid way up. It is only noticeable on a dark gray or black image, like when a TV show switch to/from a commercial. I don't see anything on the screen when looking closely at the blank screen. I'm concerned it might be a dust blob in the projector or on the lens. I'm going to try & trace down the problem later today. I'll try to get a picture of it.

I hope it's not something in the projector - i don't want to deal with an exchange...
nicholfd is offline  
post #7 of 40 Old 12-15-2012, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just a note for anyone with the new Epson 5020 or 6020 that uses RF (Bluetooth) 3D glasses - The Samsung SSG-4100GB glasses work just fine with the Epson projectors. These glasses are only $19.99 and can be found with free shipping form several sources. I have tested them with my new 5020 and they work fine. I haven't yet done any A/B testing with the supplied Epson glasses. I will be doing that this weekend.

$19.99 sure beats the $99.99 price for the Epson glasses!
nicholfd is offline  
post #8 of 40 Old 12-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

My screen arrived Friday and is now mounted. I've watched some TV & flipped through some 3D BluRays. The screen is beautiful, even in my room with white walls & ceiling.
Later this weekend I will do some real watching and testing. I do notice that I have a "blob", rough shaped, near the right edge of the picture, about mid way up. It is only noticeable on a dark gray or black image, like when a TV show switch to/from a commercial. I don't see anything on the screen when looking closely at the blank screen. I'm concerned it might be a dust blob in the projector or on the lens. I'm going to try & trace down the problem later today. I'll try to get a picture of it.
I hope it's not something in the projector - i don't want to deal with an exchange...

Thanks for the report!

If you only see it in dark scenes, it's likely not the screen. Defects in the screen are typically most visible in bright/white scenes.

In the end, it's either your projector or your screen... either of which sucks :-P Is your lens dirty? Then again, you said on a dark image... Epson/Panasonics can have dust blob problems since they're LCD. I've personally never seen a dust blob.
sarangiman is offline  
post #9 of 40 Old 12-16-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The spot I'm seeing is from the projector - I move the projector & it moves on screen.

The spot is only visible on dark/black screens, when the lights are turned down. It is a barely visible blue blob. During the day, with more ambient light in the room, I can't see it. I'll have to look again tonight.

Ps. I'll post about the 3D glasses later today, when I have more time to get my thoughts typed up.
nicholfd is offline  
post #10 of 40 Old 01-02-2013, 11:43 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
nicholfd: I got my 110" HCHP screen. While its contrast is fantastic given my light-colored walls/ceilings, it has a really distracting texture that shows up as vertical & horizontal striations in pans of smooth skies & other bright areas. In video games, it's almost apparent all the time to me.

You sure you don't see any of this? Easy to see in some of the bright clouds with moving camera in 'Dark Knight Rises' (Nolan/Pfister's cameras are always moving so it's a good disc to see the effect). Or pop in a video game and move around & look at the skies.

I'm sending the material back; just don't know if I should try another HCHP screen & keep swapping out until I find one with unoffensive texture (does one even exist, or are those claiming to not see texture on the HCHP screen simply not sensitive to screen texture?), or just get the HP (for which I've heard no complaints on AVS).

BTW: It's hard to take a picture of the texture, since it's really only mostly visible in moving scenes, but I took this shot & boosted the contrast a lot so you can get an idea of what the texture looks like. The vertical strips you see here & there correlate to exactly where I see them in moving/panning scenes. Also, to make sure it was the screen & not the projector, I moved the whole screen back and forth and sure enough, those striations followed the screen movement. So it's definitely the screen.


Link: http://cl.ly/LuTw/HCHP-Texture.jpg
sarangiman is offline  
post #11 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
sarangiman, I have a 92" HPHC Deluxe Model B and I'm having the same exact issue. I'm also thinking about returning it. Maybe we're just more sensitive compared to others with this material.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #12 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 03:32 AM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

sarangiman, I have a 92" HPHC Deluxe Model B and I'm having the same exact issue. I'm also thinking about returning it. Maybe we're just more sensitive compared to others with this material.

Thanks for the feedback.

I did a quick HCHP vs. HP comparison tonight at extreme viewing angles to see how much better the HCHP is at scattering *less* light to extreme angles (i.e. stuff that'd hit walls/ceilings). I took measurements of an HP patch placed on top of the HCHP screen at the center, and took measurements of the HCHP material immediately to one side of the HP patch (not ideal, but should be close enough).

Here's a graph of the ratio of HCHP to HP intensity at different viewing angles (measured with protractor):



Straight on, the HCHP shows ~84% the intensity of the HP. This is pretty much what I consistently see in my setup.

However, at 70º, the HCHP shows 69% the intensity of the HP. That's a 15% drop in comparative intensity between HCHP and HP as we moved from 0º to 70º viewing angle. I believe one could interpret this as meaning that the HCHP, compared to HP, may roughly scatter 15% less light to walls/ceilings at a 70º angle (in my setup, anyway). Do you agree? So this, in addition to its grey base, could help maintain better contrast in light-colored rooms.

The question is: is this 15% worth the headache of trying to find a HCHP surface without texture? smile.gif

FYI if the HCHP/HP screens had similar viewing angles, I believe the graph above would've been flat, with no slope. Yes?
sarangiman is offline  
post #13 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarangiman View Post

nicholfd: I got my 110" HCHP screen. While its contrast is fantastic given my light-colored walls/ceilings, it has a really distracting texture that shows up as vertical & horizontal striations in pans of smooth skies & other bright areas. In video games, it's almost apparent all the time to me.

You sure you don't see any of this? Easy to see in some of the bright clouds with moving camera in 'Dark Knight Rises' (Nolan/Pfister's cameras are always moving so it's a good disc to see the effect). Or pop in a video game and move around & look at the skies.
I'm sending the material back; just don't know if I should try another HCHP screen & keep swapping out until I find one with unoffensive texture (does one even exist, or are those claiming to not see texture on the HCHP screen simply not sensitive to screen texture?), or just get the HP (for which I've heard no complaints on AVS).

BTW: It's hard to take a picture of the texture, since it's really only mostly visible in moving scenes, but I took this shot & boosted the contrast a lot so you can get an idea of what the texture looks like. The vertical strips you see here & there correlate to exactly where I see them in moving/panning scenes. Also, to make sure it was the screen & not the projector, I moved the whole screen back and forth and sure enough, those striations followed the screen movement. So it's definitely the screen.

I haven't seen the HCHP material in person yet. I don't see this issue with the older 2.8 HP material. When I watch the Art of Flight on the 142" 2.8HP, the image overall looks solid with no obvious artifacts during pans of the snow filled mountains. It would stand out given the screen size, brightness and close seating distance. My friends 106" 2.4 HP looks similar as well.
zombie10k is online now  
post #14 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Zombie, is his screen a roll up screen or is it a fixed screen? I'm thinking that could be causing the issues.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #15 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I see no light/dark patterns or textures with my Da-Lite HCHP screen. My screen is a Model B Roll-up with CSR, 106". I am completely satisfied with the material and consistency of images. I have Batman, but haven't watched it on my screen yet. Maybe I'll watch it this weekend, and look for "flaws" in my screen.

I am going to have my projector swapped for the blue splotch on dark scenes. I haven't yet called Epson or Crutchfield. I really need to do that before the weekend.

Regarding the 3D glasses comparison - sorry I haven't posted anything yet. I have used both, but haven't had time to put my observations in writhing.

Thanks folks.
nicholfd is offline  
post #16 of 40 Old 01-03-2013, 02:50 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

I see no light/dark patterns or textures with my Da-Lite HCHP screen. My screen is a Model B Roll-up with CSR, 106". I am completely satisfied with the material and consistency of images. I have Batman, but haven't watched it on my screen yet. Maybe I'll watch it this weekend, and look for "flaws" in my screen.
I am going to have my projector swapped for the blue splotch on dark scenes. I haven't yet called Epson or Crutchfield. I really need to do that before the weekend.
Regarding the 3D glasses comparison - sorry I haven't posted anything yet. I have used both, but haven't had time to put my observations in writhing.
Thanks folks.

Yeah try looking for it in the bright clouds in the opening IMAX scenes of TDKR. Also, have any video games with skies in them? The low contrast of video games will make it particularly easy to see the texture (any extra texture/noise in films masks the HCHP texture... video games are typically smooth/clean/low texture).

Btw, mine's a Cinema Contour 110" fixed screen. So I doubt it has anything to do with fixed vs. roll-up.

nicholfd's experience makes me want to try another HCHP. I feel myself wanting even darker blacks than I'm getting right now, so I'm fairly certain I'd be displeased with a HP given my light colored walls/ceilings (and like I said, I hated my velvet curtain set up so I tore it down... too ugly).
sarangiman is offline  
post #17 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 09:04 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I watched the first part of TDKR, with the airplane scenes and clouds. I may have seen some something, if I stood close to the screen and looked from the side. I could not detect anything from my normal sitting distance. And like I said, I only may have seen it when standing a foot or two from the screen. Also, my walls and ceiling are currently white. What I saw could have been a "reverb" type of reflection from reflections on the white walls and/or ceilings. During the sky scenes, the walls are lit up pretty bright, just from the projection screen. This screen does reflect light back toward the source (retroreflective). With the walls being lit up from the light in the room from the projector (no other lights were on in the room), and light from the walls, hitting the screen, would be bouncing back toward the same wall/source. Maybe this is creating the appearance of light/dark vertical strips, when looking more specifically from the side. Even from straight on, with this affect strong enough, i could still see it possible causing light/dark strips.

My normal sitting distance is ~14' from my 106" screen. Maybe this is a difference in some noticing it vs. others not seeing it.

I have black cloth ordered to cover my ceiling and plan to do something to the walls (paint, cloth or curtains). I'll try to remember to check this again after the ceiling & walls are treated.
nicholfd is offline  
post #18 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Texture on a HP screen? How can this be? So many think its the perfect screen material. I would ignore these posters as some sort of extreme minority.


OK. OK.

I am actually goung to order in a 110" pull down HP screen to mount in front of my fixed 110" Snowmat.

I am doing this for two purposes. One for watching 3D movies at brightness levels significantly in excess of the industry standard (which is low of course because of technological display lumens limitations). It will be nice to have 3D as bright as 2D on my 1.0 gain screen and I am willing to put up with the adverse effects on PQ caused by the HP. After all, its 3D, viewed through glasses, yada yada.

The second reason is to show all what one loses using the HP over a 1.0 gain reference screen assuming you have enough light to light the 1.0 gain screen and use it in a black pit.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #19 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
From the recent examples, it looks like the HCHP has a more noticeable texture than the original 2.8HP or the current 2.4HP.

airscapes posted a microscopic closeup of the original 2.8 vs the 2.4. You can see the original beads are more consistent in size and closely spaced. It looks like they changed this with the 2.4, the beads are various sizes and randomly placed.

Plus the 5020 is quite bright for a relatively small 106" screen so it's going to make the surface texture more obvious with the intense brightness.

2.8 vs 2.4. I'd like to see a closeup of the HCHP. My 2.8 looks nothing like the examples I've seen posted, it's quite solid overall during 'The Art of Flight' which is primarily white, snow filled mountains. This is the disk to test for screen texture.

zombie10k is online now  
post #20 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Mark,

I am still 100% pleased with my HCHP screen. I was just providing feedback to sarangiman as I said I would. I do not think I see any actual "texture".
nicholfd is offline  
post #21 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

From the recent examples, it looks like the HCHP has a more noticeable texture than the original 2.8HP or the current 2.4HP.
airscapes posted a microscopic closeup of the original 2.8 vs the 2.4. You can see the original beads are more consistent in size and closely spaced. It looks like they changed this with the 2.4, the beads are various sizes and randomly placed.
Plus the 5020 is quite bright for a relatively small 106" screen so it's going to make the surface texture more obvious with the intense brightness.
2.8 vs 2.4. I'd like to see a closeup of the HCHP. My 2.8 looks nothing like the examples I've seen posted, it's quite solid overall during 'The Art of Flight' which is primarily white, snow filled mountains. This is the disk to test for screen texture.

What magnification power was used for the close-ups? Any idea how I might easily/cheaply take a photo like that of my HCHP screen? Is the scale microns, millimeters, etc.?

I guess I'm going to have to get this disc to try and find "flaws" in my screen... wink.gif (Even if I did see something in my screen, I'm happy with it and will be keeping it.)

Is this the disc I should buy:
V.A.S. The Art of Flight DVD & Blu-ray ( Brain Farm & Red Bull )

Or does anyone know if this is the same one? It says "DVD & BD", but the description is slim. The picture shows DVD & the BluRay symbol on the bottom:
Kidsnow The Brainfarm Art Of Flight Combo Pack DVD

Thanks!
nicholfd is offline  
post #22 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Well I am going to get the non HC , just the HP 2.4 and I do not plan to view it under a microscope.

Rather than trying to see screen texture when most don't have any clue as to what screen texture means, no its not that if you get close enough its looks like orange fruit skin rather than an orange gum ball, its what's the texture (even though you cannot see the texture) does to the image. I can't explain it any better than that. How does it screw up the image rather than can you see the flaw that screws up the image and how do you know the image is screwed up unless you know what a non screwed image looks like.

OK Ok. You guys life in glass cages and I have to put my glass cutter away. I am going to watch football and my projector and screen will make it look like I was sitting in a box at the game with no glass in the window but somehow able to see everything up close .Have a nice day.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
post #23 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholfd View Post

What magnification power was used for the close-ups? Any idea how I might easily/cheaply take a photo like that of my HCHP screen? Is the scale microns, millimeters, etc.?

I guess I'm going to have to get this disc to try and find "flaws" in my screen... wink.gif (Even if I did see something in my screen, I'm happy with it and will be keeping it.)

Is this the disc I should buy:

V.A.S. The Art of Flight DVD & Blu-ray ( Brain Farm & Red Bull )

Or does anyone know if this is the same one? It says "DVD & BD", but the description is slim. The picture shows DVD & the BluRay symbol on the bottom:

Kidsnow The Brainfarm Art Of Flight Combo Pack DVD
Thanks!

The first link is the right one. I'm not sure what equipment was used for that photo, check with 'airscapes' in the HCHP thread in the screens forum.

The Art of Flight is one of the cleanest sources i've seen, excellent for checking projector quality, etc.
zombie10k is online now  
post #24 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
nicholfd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 25
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just ordered "The Art of Flight" - Thanks for confirming the correct disc.

I may have seen some "texture" artifacts/white inconstancies just now, on a Microsoft Surface commercial. Our TV room has two small, high windows on the wall behind the screen. There is more ambient light in the room now, than when I normally watch the projector. The commercial has a lot of fast motion scenes with white as the background. It was during these scenes that I saw "something".

I'm still convinced it is related to the ambient light being reflected off of the side walls & ceilings. Hopefully in the next month or so, I will get my ceiling & wall treatment completed. Then I'll take a look again.

And I'm still satisfied with my HCHP screen! smile.gif
nicholfd is offline  
post #25 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 02:05 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
The texture should be very obvious in bright, non-detailed, panning scenes. You shouldn't have to stand close, or at an angle. If it's there it'll most likely be visible from your normal sitting position/viewing distance. In fact, I'm willing to bet it's more obvious at further viewing distances, where you can see the entire screen & judge that there's obviously some sort of fixed pattern noise overlaid on top of the signal.

Btw, this is about as magnified a shot as I can get of the HCHP material at home with my macro set up, short of a microscope:


I don't know if the seemingly different colored beads are actually differently shaded, or if it's just a lighting artifact (I had to shine a bright LED light source to get rid of motion at these magnifications, since it wasn't a steadied optical setup like a microscope).
sarangiman is offline  
post #26 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Texture on a HP screen? How can this be? So many think its the perfect screen material. I would ignore these posters as some sort of extreme minority.
OK. OK.
I am actually goung to order in a 110" pull down HP screen to mount in front of my fixed 110" Snowmat.
I am doing this for two purposes. One for watching 3D movies at brightness levels significantly in excess of the industry standard (which is low of course because of technological display lumens limitations). It will be nice to have 3D as bright as 2D on my 1.0 gain screen and I am willing to put up with the adverse effects on PQ caused by the HP. After all, its 3D, viewed through glasses, yada yada.
The second reason is to show all what one loses using the HP over a 1.0 gain reference screen assuming you have enough light to light the 1.0 gain screen and use it in a black pit.

Jeez Mark, what's with you lately....put down your flask of HP hatorade. He was talking about his Da-Lite HCHP screen. biggrin.gif
RonF is offline  
post #27 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced Member
 
sarangiman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 542
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
To make it really obvious, just pop in a car racing game and play a level with a lot of skies. If you have texture, you can't miss it.
sarangiman is offline  
post #28 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,753
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Well I am going to get the non HC , just the HP 2.4 and I do not plan to view it under a microscope.
Rather than trying to see screen texture when most don't have any clue as to what screen texture means, no its not that if you get close enough its looks like orange fruit skin rather than an orange gum ball, its what's the texture (even though you cannot see the texture) does to the image. I can't explain it any better than that. How does it screw up the image rather than can you see the flaw that screws up the image and how do you know the image is screwed up unless you know what a non screwed image looks like.
OK Ok. You guys life in glass cages and I have to put my glass cutter away. I am going to watch football and my projector and screen will make it look like I was sitting in a box at the game with no glass in the window but somehow able to see everything up close .Have a nice day.

Mark, I don't think we went looking for flaws in the screen. It's something that is on occasion noticeable without the intention of looking for it. Luckily this screen isn't very expensive. My screen has developed some vertical waves on the bottom right corner. I'm going to contact Da-Lite on Monday and see if I can get some sort of replacement. I plan on mentioning the visible texture just to see what they say. Hopefully my replacement isn't as bad.
Seegs108 is online now  
post #29 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
RonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Sunny SoCal
Posts: 1,678
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Well I am going to get the non HC , just the HP 2.4 and I do not plan to view it under a microscope.
Rather than trying to see screen texture when most don't have any clue as to what screen texture means, no its not that if you get close enough its looks like orange fruit skin rather than an orange gum ball, its what's the texture (even though you cannot see the texture) does to the image. I can't explain it any better than that. How does it screw up the image rather than can you see the flaw that screws up the image and how do you know the image is screwed up unless you know what a non screwed image looks like.
OK Ok. You guys life in glass cages and I have to put my glass cutter away. I am going to watch football and my projector and screen will make it look like I was sitting in a box at the game with no glass in the window but somehow able to see everything up close .Have a nice day.

You know with this "elitist" thing you're into with your perfect new screen and any deviations from that surface, we all really just think we like our other materials, but you know better..... is starting to sound a lot like the guy across the Pond you were taking exception with for his puritanism. The guy who reviews equipment for a living in addition to being a "video guru" . His take on him reviewing a Darblet: Sure. Someone send me one. When I can get to it. But what's the point?? "It's "like asking a vegetarian (vegan?) to give a review on eating a steak". biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif Said with a whole bunch of smiles because of the vibe and fun you normally bring. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
RonF is offline  
post #30 of 40 Old 01-06-2013, 06:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mark haflich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: brookeville, maryland, usa
Posts: 19,315
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked: 321
Ron. Many many people own Darbee;s and have freely reported their viewing impressions based on on/off and various levels of the Darbee settings.

With screens, people buy something and wax euphorac about it. I like it so much better than my last screen. Or
gosh golly, I bought it and its perfect. I do not see any thing wrong. Well I have the ability to do A/Bs with screens and having a reference quality projector to light them with.

Without the ability to compare under the same conditions one can not draw any necessarily valid conclusions. Simply put the Da-lite HP up against Snowmat. The HP will be much brighter but then tell me about the other things. Most would say what other thing? I can calibrate the colors perfectly. OK. OK. the black reference level will be high but the on/off will be the same. Its perfect. I would say these people need to see and evaluate the PQ of snomatt or JKP Affinity 1.1and then see if their HP has equally good or close to equally good PQ aspects other than brightness. Which PQ is better. Which is more realistic. Are yiu aware that you are lighting screen material with one or the other. My continued attack is because people are reaching a judgement with having a reference level. They don't know how the HP fabric detracts from image quality. Its a good choice for eople who want a really bright picture in 2D or 3D with a screen size that can't otherwise be lit by their projector choice. Its a good choice for other than black pit rooms. But if you have the lumens and the right room, one will giving up an awful lot if they choose HP.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
mark haflich is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off