Narrowing down choices for my new projector (Sony or Epson) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I am doing what little testing at stores I can do and reading lots of forums about projectors. I am replacing my Sony VPL-VW100 and use a 106" High Power screen in a light controlled basement home theater.

I like the Epson 6010 that I was able to see in person. Although the picture didn't look quite as 'sharp' or pure as my Sony. But the Epson definitely was brighter. And brighter is the whole point of my upgrade! That and the fact my lamp has 2500 hours and a new lamp costs $1000. I have not seen the Sony HW50 in person but i wonder how it compares to the Epson 5020 or 6020 for my needs. What are my needs? A bight projector for a room with some ambient, low lighting (so we don't fall asleep) and to be used for HDTV, Movies and Gaming. Its a small room and I will keep the screen for now.

Any suggestions on how to consider which to go with? A Epson 6020 (sight unseen) or a Sony HW50 (sigh unseen)? I have always had a soft spot for the Sony brand. From walkmans (yes walkmans) to TVs, to stereos. Never thought of Epson as a good brand for this stuff but times change...

Epson 6020UB Projector
Dalite Contour HighPower Manual Pull Down
Denon AVR3311CI
Sony PS3
B&W CDM-7NT Speakers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 48
I know I've fallen foul of asking this before on here, but why can't you just go and demo the Sony (and any others you might consider)? That way you know for sure what you are getting rather than just buying by name/gut feeling. Having said that I just bought a JVC X35 without seeing one, but I had seen the X55 (same but with Eshift and CMS built in) and I'd seen the previous X30 model.

I did once buy a projector just based on the specs (and that it had a then new feature of lens memory) and ended up selling it shortly after for a big drop in money as it didn't live up to my expectations. I was so disappointed that for it's replacement I had to arrange a demo at home to compare it against the replacement to make sure I felt the cost to change again so soon was worthwhile. This meant going to a proper bricks and mortar dealer and paying more than I could get it online for, but at least I got to demo it properly. It was an expensive lesson, but at least I ended up with a projector I was happy with.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #3 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
i am on same boat, in turkey we dont have a demo room for sony, but we have one for epson9100
post #4 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
There just are not that many places that have projectors for showing. Frankly, with the big TVs that are out, I almost get the feeling that projectors are not as popular as they once were. And dedicated home theaters are not as popular either as more and more people want a more multi-purpose use space instead of a dark home theater. I am not even sure where to call or look for projectors setup for viewing. Some of the dedicated home theater businesses near me are closing, etc.

I will keep looking and do my best. I have managed to see a bunch over the years in different rooms, with different lighting and different screens. So the analysis has been tough. I have always like the Sony VPL-VW100. I have watched 2500 hours on it! We love watching movies on a 106" in a separate room. It makes it more of an event. But the Sony has always been too dim even with a HP screen. So, much analysis of new projectors baffles me: convergence this, iris that, lumens this, etc.

The Epsons seem so high rated, and available and bright. Frankly i was only impressed by the brightness of it when i just saw it in a store. There seemed to be a little motion lag or jerkiness. And the dark areas were almost a little too bright. But that was a quick view in their place not mine.

I think (and hope) that anything I get will be such an upgrade in brightness that I could be happy with anything. So it is also the price point that I should spend that is hard also.

Epson 6020UB Projector
Dalite Contour HighPower Manual Pull Down
Denon AVR3311CI
Sony PS3
B&W CDM-7NT Speakers
post #5 of 9 Old 12-15-2012, 04:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
If your main concern is brightness your questions have probably already been answered from reviewers. Even if you did find these two projectors in a store you're going to have the dilemma of how bright is the picture when using a Dalite HP screen? The good new is that probably either of these projectors is going to much brighter than yours.

I've seen the HW50 (and have one on order) and I can tell you that around a 15' throw onto a lower gain 100" screen the pic is as bright as my JVCRS45 with just under an 18' throw onto a 119" Dalite 2.4 HP screen with the iris 1/2 closed.

Reviews state that the Epson is going to be brighter is you use dynamic mode but if you are looking for the brighter projector in the "best mode" (calibrated) then the Sony is going to be the brighter projector. It did indeed look very bright to my eyes even on low lamp in darkened room with a "lower gain" or should I say non-Dalite HP screen.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 03:41 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xb1032 View Post

If your main concern is brightness your questions have probably already been answered from reviewers. Even if you did find these two projectors in a store you're going to have the dilemma of how bright is the picture when using a Dalite HP screen? The good new is that probably either of these projectors is going to much brighter than yours.
I've seen the HW50 (and have one on order) and I can tell you that around a 15' throw onto a lower gain 100" screen the pic is as bright as my JVCRS45 with just under an 18' throw onto a 119" Dalite 2.4 HP screen with the iris 1/2 closed.

Reviews state that the Epson is going to be brighter is you use dynamic mode but if you are looking for the brighter projector in the "best mode" (calibrated) then the Sony is going to be the brighter projector. It did indeed look very bright to my eyes even on low lamp in darkened room with a "lower gain" or should I say non-Dalite HP screen.

so can we say the image of sony hw50es is not dim,dull..Right?
post #7 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 06:41 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by windrockwater View Post

There just are not that many places that have projectors for showing. Frankly, with the big TVs that are out, I almost get the feeling that projectors are not as popular as they once were. And dedicated home theaters are not as popular either as more and more people want a more multi-purpose use space instead of a dark home theater. I am not even sure where to call or look for projectors setup for viewing. Some of the dedicated home theater businesses near me are closing, etc.
I will keep looking and do my best. I have managed to see a bunch over the years in different rooms, with different lighting and different screens. So the analysis has been tough. I have always like the Sony VPL-VW100. I have watched 2500 hours on it! We love watching movies on a 106" in a separate room. It makes it more of an event. But the Sony has always been too dim even with a HP screen. So, much analysis of new projectors baffles me: convergence this, iris that, lumens this, etc.
The Epsons seem so high rated, and available and bright. Frankly i was only impressed by the brightness of it when i just saw it in a store. There seemed to be a little motion lag or jerkiness. And the dark areas were almost a little too bright. But that was a quick view in their place not mine.
I think (and hope) that anything I get will be such an upgrade in brightness that I could be happy with anything. So it is also the price point that I should spend that is hard also.

Sent you a PM.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 284
I feel like the HW50 isn't going to be a good choice for you if the sharpness was disappointing on the Epson. To get a perceptibly sharp image on the Sony HW50, normally you're going to need to enable Reality Creation. You'll find that the lens is much better on the JVC models. I would either look into the JVC RS45/46 or maybe a nice single chip DLP like the Sharp XV-Z30000. Based on what projectors you've looked at already both of these should be within your price range. Both should be sharper than the Sony you have (decent convergence required on the JVC but rarely that's an issue) and will be decently bright especially considering the HP screen you have.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
post #9 of 9 Old 12-16-2012, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 456 Post(s)
Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by cemo62 View Post

so can we say the image of sony hw50es is not dim,dull..Right?

I've found that LCD/LCOS always seem to have a more laid back picture compared to the pop that DLP gives. I believe the ANSI contrast performance that DLP's have really aids in this. Whether or not this is something you see as negative is solely based on your preference in PQ. LCOS seems to have an organic analog picture versus DLPs less organic pop.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Planar PD8150 1080p DLP Projector - With Upgraded DarkChip 4 DLP DMD - $2495
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw100 Lcd Projector , Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Jvc Dla X35 3d Hd Front Projector
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page