Blended Vs Stacked? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 12-15-2012, 03:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm interested in professional opinion surrounding the strength of image resulting from the smaller more concentrated edge blend between 2 projectors as opposed to the doubling effect of 2 images laid on top?

We do a live webcast and arena projections for Elite League Pro Ice Hockey (1 step down from AHL......in Europe!) at an ice rink in Northern Ireland (Odyssey Arena) and due to the high ambient light of the lighting we struggle getting reasonable images to the screens. I've just upgraded from 4 x 12x9's (pathetic, i know!) to 4 x 20x15's and with the increased surface area only the 12k lumen Christie is knocking on the door of being acceptable. My older 12k Sanyo XF46 and the even older 10k XF45 are really struggling.

I have found a chinese projector that is billed as a 12k lumen but it's the physical size of a current 5k - added to which it suggests a lamp life of 4-5,000 hours. Music to my ears if true!

Either way I'm considering 2 per screen and with the Matrox card you can even put them in vertical (potrait) and blend 3 to get an even stronger full image. Alternatively just put one on top of the other.........any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 05:00 PM

Liked: 10
I'd keep using the 12k Christies & just re-lamp them.
Christie is a PROVEN company. An unknown Chinese projector that allegedly give double to triple the lamp life isn't enough to sway me personally.

"You down with CRT?....Yeah, you know me!"
post #3 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 12:09 AM

Liked: 16
Perceived brightness doesn't increase linearly. Rather, it is logarithmic. I really doubt stacking them will do much for you. You'd be better off doing what beta said. Simply keep the bulb in the Christie going strong and don't waste your money on some Chinese cheapo. If you absolutely need better performance, consider painting your screen a gray shade so you get better contrast.

post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 23
12k lumens is entry level for commercial projectors. Christie has 32,000 lumen models and Barco has a 40,000 lumen model (HDQ-2K40). Both are respected companies. I would just get a single projector that does what you need.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page