Optoma HD 8600 questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-17-2012, 05:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I came across a deal on an Optoma HD8600 projector that was used as a demo model for $1000.00 with a 30 day return and 90 day warranty and I have a few questions. 1St. The projector central distance calculator is telling me that for 100” screen the location of the projector is only 5’6” from the screen can this be right? If it is that’s way to close as my seating is 10’6” from the screen. 2nd. Any know issues or problems with the projector? I used to have a HD7100 which I liked and Im a huge DLP fan so do you think this is a good deal or should I run?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-17-2012, 06:35 AM

Liked: 18
Seems like a good deal depending on how many hours on the unit and what lens it comes with.

Note that there are 3 lenses available for the 8600, a long, short, and standard throw. The Projector Central calc allows you to select between them. I'm guessing the pj you are looking at comes with the standard lens but you should confirm. The standard lens is around $300 to $500, the long throw and short throw are around the $800 to $1000 range.

As for the projector itself, it is a fantastic unit with its bright vibrant 'dlp look', single dlp chip sharpness, and black levels that are fantastic as far as dlp projectors go and good when compared to the rest of the pack under $4 to 5k pack. If you're only interested in 2D and like the look of dlp, then this is the projector to get unless you have access to limitless funds of course.

In addition to confirming the lens you'd get with it, you'll also want to confirm that the unit will come with the most up to date firmware (1.11 I believe, although it will show up as 1.08 on the menu screen for reasons I won't pretend to understand), and obviously check the bulb hours as a new bulb runs around $300 from my last check (rated about 2000/3000 hours I believe). You should also confirm that it has sufficient lens shift for your setup. Vertically, for a ceiling installation I think it can only be 10% of the screen height above the screen but for tabletop installation it has to be within the screen area.

If you do want to go with this pj, consider taking a look at consignia.ca as you'll be able to get one with a longer warranty and lower number of bulb/unit hours potentially.

Good luck.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-17-2012, 06:39 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your input
post #4 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 05:11 AM - Thread Starter

Well I just purchased the HD8600 from a co. in Canada for $2023.00 with a 2 yr warranty and free shipping. I think Im going to get a lot for my money and Im super excited to have a new high quality projector to put in my theater that I spent so much time and effort into making. Like a kid in a candy store. lol
post #5 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attichometheater View Post

Well I just purchased the HD8600 from a co. in Canada for $2023.00 with a 2 yr warranty and free shipping. I think Im going to get a lot for my money and Im super excited to have a new high quality projector to put in my theater that I spent so much time and effort into making. Like a kid in a candy store. lol

You will love it. I got one in September to replace an Epson 8350 and have been extremely pleased with the purchase.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 08:16 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I cant wait cool.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 12-18-2012, 08:07 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Do you get 3D CMS with the latest firmware? I seen report conflicting report that some said you can adjust RGBCMY luminance with latest firmware update. To someone who like to get the unit calibrated, this is an important feature unless you had an outboard video processor. HD8300 come with complete 3D CMS.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-19-2012, 05:12 AM - Thread Starter

rjyap I have no idea but Ill let you know if I find out.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd8600 50 000 Contrast Ratio Hdmi
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page