Help Help help..........Recommend projector to me please.....Budget <6K - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
All,
I have been reading all these posts...and getting more confused about which projector to buy....Projector will go in dark theater room. I want the best picture quality...with capabilities of 3D. I watch action movies and all sports.

From posts seem like Epson 6020 is one of the best projector out there. I wonder can 6020 be compared to Sony VW95ES or JVC rs56. I see allot of posts comparing 6020 to sony vw60 or epson rs46.

--Is EPSON picture quality comparable to sony VW95 and JVC RS56 projector or both are in different league...
--is Mitsubishi DLP 92" rear projection tv comparable to these projector?
--what is the recommended screen size for above projectors..

I apologize if questions I am asking are stupid.

thanks
sandhuh is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Senior Member
 
sunol's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: California
Posts: 210
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, I'll bite..

JVC - best 2D image
Epson - best 3D image
Sony - compromise between the two

There was an article here:
http://www.avsforum.com/a/projectors-101-avs-favorites
Different projector models in the article, but I unless anyone else wants to jump in, the general premise has been the same for a couple of years. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the projectors you mentioned. For what it's worth, there has been concern, fairly or not, over the build quality of epson over the years.

Versus rear projection tv - I haven't seen the 92' Mits, but my 'other' tv is rear projection DLP. I would think the Mits has the advantage in a lit room, but a properly set up projector would have it in in over all 'image experience' in the 'dark theater room' you mention.

Screen size is dependent on placement and type of screen. There are lots of calculators out there like the ones on projector central:
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Epson-PowerLite_Pro_Cinema_6020UB-projection-calculator-pro.htm
There are lot's of opinions out there about the 'right' screen size based on seating distance from screen, etc.

You may want to ping the AVS store at some point for pro help. No, I don't work there, but I do buy my stuff there, they carry these projectors and their prices are competitive.
sunol is offline  
post #3 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Of the unit's listed I would say that the Sony VW95 will have the most refined 2D image. Many people love Epson's 3LCD projectors, but anyone who has seen LCOS or DLP done correctly will say it has a FAR superior image. If you have a preference for DLP, the machine to get in your price range is the Runco LS-5. For LCOS I'd choose the Sony VW95 over any JVC model any day of the week. If you aren't in a rush to get a projector, I've heard Sony is going to be releasing the successor to the VW95 pretty soon, it should have all the new bells and whistles that the 50ES has, plus all the benefits the VW95 has.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #4 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
zombie10k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,371
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhuh View Post

All,
I have been reading all these posts...and getting more confused about which projector to buy....Projector will go in dark theater room. I want the best picture quality...with capabilities of 3D. I watch action movies and all sports.

The Sony HW50 is a good fit for this this setup. It's a well balanced 2D and 3D projector.
zombie10k is online now  
post #5 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 01:17 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhuh View Post

All,
I have been reading all these posts...and getting more confused about which projector to buy....Projector will go in dark theater room. I want the best picture quality...with capabilities of 3D. I watch action movies and all sports.
From posts seem like Epson 6020 is one of the best projector out there. I wonder can 6020 be compared to Sony VW95ES or JVC rs56. I see allot of posts comparing 6020 to sony vw60 or epson rs46.
--Is EPSON picture quality comparable to sony VW95 and JVC RS56 projector or both are in different league...
--is Mitsubishi DLP 92" rear projection tv comparable to these projector?
--what is the recommended screen size for above projectors..
I apologize if questions I am asking are stupid.
thanks

If you would like to talk pros and cons of the various projectors, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #6 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 02:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
I haven't seen the HW50 but I don't think the 95ES hold ups to the 2D image of the JVCs. The new JVCs are pretty comparable for 3D as well, though may not be quite as bright.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #7 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I'm sorry Kris, but I can't stand the motion on the JVC units. It kills the other unique aspects of JVCs D-ILA technology. Sure high native contrast is great but not if other aspects kill the experience. This is why I can fully understand why some avoid DLP for its color separation artifacts. For me DILA technology would be great if they just fixed that issue. With the Sony you get that LCOS look and great blacks from its fanatic DI and motion far better than what JVC offers.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #8 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Of the unit's listed I would say that the Sony VW95 will have the most refined 2D image. Many people love Epson's 3LCD projectors, but anyone who has seen LCOS or DLP done correctly will say it has a FAR superior image. If you have a preference for DLP, the machine to get in your price range is the Runco LS-5. For LCOS I'd choose the Sony VW95 over any JVC model any day of the week. If you aren't in a rush to get a projector, I've heard Sony is going to be releasing the successor to the VW95 pretty soon, it should have all the new bells and whistles that the 50ES has, plus all the benefits the VW95 has.

There is some truth to this for sure, but we are jumping all around in different price ranges here (although the poster did give a large range being under 6k). I would also look into the new Sony coming out, but then again it isn't out yet. The Epson is good at its strengths in its price class, but the lesser dense pixel fill and the more prevalent convergence luck is a downer on the Epson. The Sony seems to have fairly consistent convergence on most units based on Z's assessments (as well as the JVC's), but like any non-DLP you can get unlucky. The JVC and the Sony cost more than the Epson. The vw95 did not have as good of 3D as the hw30 or hw50 so I hear, so it is also not necessarily the solution to everyone's 2D/3D combo problem. Two projectors are the best, but if you have to buy one I'd look at the Sony hw50 based on Zombie's reviews. Unless you are completely hung up on getting max sharpness, the Sony seems like a winner in 2D/3D.

Motion on JVC
It bothers me on occasion, but to be honest for movies no projector looks perfect in out-of-control action scenes due to 24fps. For sports and 60hz content, yah well DLP motion is going to be better, but then again the Sony gets pretty close, so another plus for the hw50, also the hw50 is super-duper bright, and that's good.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #9 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Kris Deering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: The Pacific Northwet
Posts: 6,987
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

I'm sorry Kris, but I can't stand the motion on the JVC units. It kills the other unique aspects of JVCs D-ILA technology. Sure high native contrast is great but not if other aspects kill the experience. This is why I can fully understand why some avoid DLP for its color separation artifacts. For me DILA technology would be great if they just fixed that issue. With the Sony you get that LCOS look and great blacks from its fanatic DI and motion far better than what JVC offers.

It used to bother me with the older JVC projectors but doesn't bother me at all with the new ones. I rarely see issues, but I use the projector for 99% movies. I imagine it may be a different thing altogether for sports.

Contributing Editor/Writer
Sound And Vision Magazine

Click Here To See My Current Setup
Kris Deering is offline  
post #10 of 15 Old 12-23-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Seegs108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Schenectady, New York
Posts: 3,751
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I agree its far better now. The X3 was much nicer than the RS20 in regards to motion and apparent sharpness. Though I don't think its a non-issue as I still see others complaining about it here. Maybe we're more sensitive to it? While I see rainbows they just don't bother anywhere close to bad motion.

I don't want to derail this thread any further. Please shoot me a PM if anyone would like to further discuss this.
Seegs108 is offline  
post #11 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 01:32 AM
Member
 
latexii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandhuh View Post

All,
I have been reading all these posts...and getting more confused about which projector to buy....Projector will go in dark theater room. I want the best picture quality...with capabilities of 3D. I watch action movies and all sports.
From posts seem like Epson 6020 is one of the best projector out there. I wonder can 6020 be compared to Sony VW95ES or JVC rs56. I see allot of posts comparing 6020 to sony vw60 or epson rs46.
--Is EPSON picture quality comparable to sony VW95 and JVC RS56 projector or both are in different league...
--is Mitsubishi DLP 92" rear projection tv comparable to these projector?
--what is the recommended screen size for above projectors..
I apologize if questions I am asking are stupid.
thanks

pretty decent budget u got there, i was wondering could u consider 2 projectors ? if i had money (and space) i would go optoma hd 33 and jvc x35 maybe.. just came to my mind
latexii is offline  
post #12 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
coderguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,955
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
Or w7000 + JVC is what most are doing, Optoma hd33 good too, but it's hard to fit in a lot of rooms due to its limited zoom and throw.


Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

coderguy is offline  
post #13 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you all for providing input...seem like...to have best of both worlds...I have to look into sony projectors... i will try to look around when sony is coming out with replacement for vw95.

Also, can 3D issues be fixed by software upgrades to the projector or hardware?

I didn't see mush feedback on Mitsubishi 92 inch vs projector? I can get the mitsubishi for around 3k also......

I will go to best buy and see if they can demo sony projector...




No, I would just like to just have one projector......
sandhuh is offline  
post #14 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 7,217
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

There is some truth to this for sure, but we are jumping all around in different price ranges here (although the poster did give a large range being under 6k). I would also look into the new Sony coming out, but then again it isn't out yet. The Epson is good at its strengths in its price class, but the lesser dense pixel fill and the more prevalent convergence luck is a downer on the Epson. The Sony seems to have fairly consistent convergence on most units based on Z's assessments (as well as the JVC's), but like any non-DLP you can get unlucky. The JVC and the Sony cost more than the Epson. The vw95 did not have as good of 3D as the hw30 or hw50 so I hear, so it is also not necessarily the solution to everyone's 2D/3D combo problem. Two projectors are the best, but if you have to buy one I'd look at the Sony hw50 based on Zombie's reviews. Unless you are completely hung up on getting max sharpness, the Sony seems like a winner in 2D/3D.
Motion on JVC
It bothers me on occasion, but to be honest for movies no projector looks perfect in out-of-control action scenes due to 24fps. For sports and 60hz content, yah well DLP motion is going to be better, but then again the Sony gets pretty close, so another plus for the hw50, also the hw50 is super-duper bright, and that's good.

i was told that there is not going to be an announcement at CES for a VW95ES replacement.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

 

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #15 of 15 Old 12-24-2012, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
sandhuh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
does vw95 and jvc rs56 blow epson 6020 out the park....or is it minimal difference....

in other words.....are we comparing apple to oranges
sandhuh is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Epson Powerlite Pro Cinema 6020ub 3d 1080p 3lcd Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Jvc Dla X75r , Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Runco Ls 5 Projector , Optoma Hd33 3d Ready Dlp Projector , Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off