New "limited" auto-iris mode? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Zombie reported in another thread that there is a new "limited" auto-iris mode available on the HW50 - something about how it mimics the way the JVC manual iris is? Can someone elaborate on this and how it works differently that the auto-iris mode on previous Sony projectors like the VW95? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 09:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
From what I can tell, it just clamps down the max opening of the iris for lower peak brightness and ideally better contrast. I used this mode when look at the TDKR on the HW50. This looks great with high lamp and the auto-limited iris setting on my HP screen.

I am guessing it's adjustable in the SM, but didn't go exploring.

It looks like the rumors of the VW95 V2.0 are re-surfacing again. If they put in all the features added to the HW50, I think people will be lining up to buy it.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
That is how I read it too Zombie, in Cine4home's review of the HW50 it did reduce the light output and a slight increase in contrast over some modes. The only issue (for me) is that it doesn't seem to reduce the black level in the same way as using the manual iris would (and how it does on the JVC). You get slightly better contrast using this mode, but due to the reduced peak white level, you don't get the contrast range that you might if the black level dropped by the same percentage as the peak white. The more adventurous might like to experiment with service menu tweaks to see if the iris minimum setting could be lowered to improve black level in the dynamic modes as some have done on the previous '30 (and '95) models.

It's a shame that the Sony wouldn't fit in my room/throw/screen size as it seems a popular option to the JVC.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #4 of 9 Old 12-23-2012, 01:22 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 349
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

From what I can tell, it just clamps down the max opening of the iris for lower peak brightness and ideally better contrast. I used this mode when look at the TDKR on the HW50. This looks great with high lamp and the auto-limited iris setting on my HP screen.
I am guessing it's adjustable in the SM, but didn't go exploring.
It looks like the rumors of the VW95 V2.0 are re-surfacing again. If they put in all the features added to the HW50, I think people will be lining up to buy it.

I was told that there will be no announcement at CES for a VW95ES replacement.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #5 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 04:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I was told that there will be no announcement at CES for a VW95ES replacement.

Or VW1000ES, I presume?

post #6 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 05:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 322
Certainly no replacement for the 1000ES either. There are no Sony product rumors out there at all. I suspect we will see some glass cased 4K Bluray player at CES but no product or time frame for delivery. There are nowhere near enough 4K displays out there that bringing a product out at this time would be anything other than a money loser. Plus more development work is still needed I suspect. We should know all in 14 more days when Sony has its CES press conference or in 15 days when the show opens. Reviewers are trying to get the Sony 4K server and content for reviewing the 1000ES with the door being slamned in everyone's face. The only way to get it is to buy the big 4K panel. I imagine the hardware side had to break arms at the software side to get the content and the financial side clamped down on investing in loaner servers that will be boat anchors once a 4K Bluray player actually comes to market. To my knowledge no one who has purchased a panel has gotten a server yet either. Just guesses, perhaps we will find out more in two weeks..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #7 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 06:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Ric. The auto limited is an option vs full on my 1000ES. It is recommended for a light controlled room and does not clip the whites which I think the full does a bit. It is less bright than the full.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #8 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 07:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Certainly no replacement for the 1000ES either. There are no Sony product rumors out there at all. I suspect we will see some glass cased 4K Bluray player at CES but no product or time frame for delivery. There are nowhere near enough 4K displays out there that bringing a product out at this time would be anything other than a money loser. Plus more development work is still needed I suspect. We should know all in 10 more days when CES opens. Reviewers are trying to get the Sony 4K server and content for reviewing the 1000ES with the door being slamned in everyone face. The only way to get it is to buy the big 4K panel. I imagine the hardware side had to break arms at the software side to get the content and the financial side clamped down on investing in loaner servers that will be boat anchors once a 4K Bluray player actually comes to market. To my knowledge no one who has purchased a panel has gotten a server yet either. Just guesses by mean, perhaps we will find out more in a few days.

So you think no Sony BD-like 4K machine (with the disks to put in them)?

post #9 of 9 Old 12-24-2012, 08:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

My guess is no. There have been no rumors. I do think we will see some dummy machine under a glass case.Ii think a coalition of manufacturers is putting a uniform standard into place and we will semething close to a final initial machine at cedia. but I am guessing I really am guessing.Ii think the initial thoughts by the group of manfacturers were to come out with a 4HD standard 8 bits yada yada ans sony said no. 4K bluray won't make it unless it delivers more than just 4HD or 4K resolution. it needs to be 10 or 12 bits 4:2:2 or whatever etc..

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page