Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebits View Post

It's around $8,200 USD in Korea.

If that's the case it is essentially a non-starter for most... too much $$ for too little screen. I guess those interested will just have to hope the blue shirts at best buy have no clue how to set it up and put it on clearance when no one buys the "weird thing in the corner". LG screwed up the rollout of the 55LHX so royally that no one had heard anything about it, and the salesmen had no idea how to use it or set it up... saw it at a number of BBs and Frys and not one was set up properly: all of them were using it in 'wireless HD' with the transmitter in a closed cabinet somewhere (supposed to be unobstructed line of sight, or go with hardwired input)... picture looked like crap and they didn't sell (MSRP roughly $5k at the time). I bought mine for under $1500 IIRC, after opening the cabinet, establishing LOS between the transmitter and TV, making some minor picture adjustments and verifying it operated as I expected. Maybe LG still operates in this manner? one can hope wink.gif

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 06:59 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
here a closer look ....

CES 2013

it will be march for US

it will coast around $10k eek.gif
1080p
no 3D
cant go over 100"

thats to much for the price tongue.gif
post #33 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 586
Do you mean that's not enough for the price? Remember the picture really gets fornicated up because of the scaling needed to provide correct geometry at such a short throw. People want big and big panels are expesive. this could work for non picky consumers who thing every correction a manufascturer provides is there to fix things and not hurt them and who can't afford a true direct panel of the size. but the equation is not linear, the savings would have to be large and the cost something educated Joe 6 pack can afford. They would sell a bunch at $5K.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #34 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 07:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyy484 View Post

here a closer look ....
CES 2013
it will be march for US
it will coast around $10k eek.gif
1080p
no 3D
cant go over 100"
thats to much for the price tongue.gif
LG, ty kto takoy? Davay, do svidaniya!
Seriously, there's just too little info on this thing to even justify the price tag. Lasers, so what? No one knows about the projector's performance. Black screen, so what? We don't know anything about the screen to even extrapolate what the resulting image could look like. Honestly, I watched LG's press conference and their presentation of the system was so obscure it only leaves one impression:
"Oh... okay".
post #35 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Do you mean that's not enough for the price? Remember the picture really gets fornicated up because of the scaling needed to provide correct geometry at such a short throw. People want big and big panels are expesive. this could work for non picky consumers who thing every correction a manufascturer provides is there to fix things and not hurt them and who can't afford a true direct panel of the size. but the equation is not linear, the savings would have to be large and the cost something educated Joe 6 pack can afford. They would sell a bunch at $5K.

sorry i mean 2 much price for what u got

well i said before if its like $5k could be reasonable, until its like $3k next year
but $10k is really freaking out !!!
post #36 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Quote:

What makes you think they need scaling to correct for geometry? RPTV's don't need it so why would this?

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence

post #37 of 90 Old 01-09-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

LG, ty kto takoy? Davay, do svidaniya!
Seriously, there's just too little info on this thing to even justify the price tag. Lasers, so what? No one knows about the projector's performance. Black screen, so what? We don't know anything about the screen to even extrapolate what the resulting image could look like. Honestly, I watched LG's press conference and their presentation of the system was so obscure it only leaves one impression:
"Oh... okay".
the screen more like ( interpolating screen )
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1436473/first-active-projector-screen

and laser tech ( last few years with pico projectors like $100 480p )

why projectors market is tiny !!!!
pricy
room setup
screen
ambient light
PQ vs LED Panel
...etc

if it was 3D and 4k ( will be hot cake ) wink.gif
i better off with Led tv on the price range $10k for 100"

anyways lets hope and wait if it is up to the price biggrin.gif
post #38 of 90 Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked: 634
I can walk out of Costco with a Sharp 90" for $9K. Why would this sell for $10,000 when it would be clearly worse in a bright room and still need >something< away from the screen?

Yes, it's a bit bigger, but not enough to care.

At $5K, we can talk.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #39 of 90 Old 01-10-2013, 02:45 AM
vsv
Advanced Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogo View Post

At $5K, we can talk.

Without 3D ?! $3K and no more wink.gif
post #40 of 90 Old 01-10-2013, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsv View Post

Without 3D ?! $3K and no more wink.gif
That's more like it.
post #41 of 90 Old 01-10-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Addicted Member

$9000 US.

I'm totally unimpressed in that a Sharp 90" LCD will thoroughly outperform it in a bright or semi-bright room for the same money.

There is no difference in HDMI cables. If you can see the picture without visible dropouts or sparklies, the cable is working at 100%. No other cable will display a better version of that picture. You're simply wrong if you think there is a better digital cable than one that is already working. (Oh, and plasma didn't die because of logistics problems, nor does OLED ship in big boxes because it comes from Korea.)
post #42 of 90 Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

How is this nothing new? Name another projector that's priced at the retail level that has such throw distance where you can place it directly on tv stand in front of the screen like a tv, removing one of the major bottleneck of projects - mounting and wiring it over long distance from the screen.

One cool thing about projector like this is that it would work great for motion-control games where you have to stand in front of the screen. Also simplifies wiring and mounting issues as you say. I think it's really cool.

And if the LED/Laser light source also means no color wheel, even better. I remember reading some CES coverage that there was an LED light source projector (not sure if its this one) that had no color wheel... FINALLY! They alternated the RGB light right onto the DMD chip directly in sequence much faster than any "wheel" could allow (and with no wasted spoke time). Rainbow-free single chip DLP!!!

1080p and lossless audio. EVERY BD should have them both.
post #43 of 90 Old 01-13-2013, 02:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

So I saw this thing and I'm not sure how it really simplifies wiring and mounting. If you want it on the ceiling, you have to mount it... Yes, the cables are shorter. Not much more exciting.

If you want it in front, you don't need to mount it, but you need free space directly below a permanent screen. And you can't have the projector moving around, so it more or less is fixed in place.

This is like having a really big projection TV in many ways.

I'm pretty sure this didn't have a color wheel (although not certain) but I did see some color separation-type effects at least when your eye got near the projector itself. I'm not sure that would happen in a real room, but it might.

post #44 of 90 Old 01-14-2013, 04:17 PM

Liked: 14
$10k is a fail, i am excited if this is $3k. As someone already said, for that amount of $$ i will just get a large flat screen. They are finally starting to appear, although sharp right now is still the only brand with a reasonably priced 80"+ but give it a year or 2 and you will have 80"+ at <$5k. This projector needs to be at $3k right now to be competitive, $10k is a joke.
post #45 of 90 Old 01-14-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:

$9000 US.

I'm totally unimpressed in that a Sharp 90" LCD will thoroughly outperform it in a bright or semi-bright room for the same money.

its $7,999.00 in amazon wink.gif
Sharp LC-90LE745U 90-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Internet Slim LED HDTV

it will outperform LG "Hecto" all the ways
240Hz 3D Internet Slim LED biggrin.gif
rogo likes this.
post #46 of 90 Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I was really looking forward to this projector... but I think LG has really dropped the ball on this one. Anyone that has $10k to spend on a TV doesn't have a problem with room size so that makes its short throw moot. And 1080p with no 3d? What the hell are LG thinking here, its like the value proposition has just gone out the window these days with everyone slapping $10k on a product and calling it a day.

Lets see, with $6k I could buy a 1080p 3D projector from panasonic with lens memory and a 140" zero edge screen from black diamond if using it in a well lit room is what i am going for. And still have $4k to spare.

Or with $10k I can buy any number of the up and coming 85-92" led tvs popping out on the market these days and have a PQ that this projector from LG will never match.

Like i don't get who does the thinking in these companies these days. Make something like this and set it at $3k and then you have an instant best seller.

.....sigh
post #47 of 90 Old 01-16-2013, 07:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 265 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Quote:

Hi Mark, the image was pretty good considering....
post #48 of 90 Old 01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

its $7,999.00 in amazon wink.gif
Sharp LC-90LE745U 90-Inch 1080p 240Hz 3D Internet Slim LED HDTV

it will outperform LG "Hecto" all the ways
240Hz 3D Internet Slim LED biggrin.gif

You're right, except for the small size edge on the LG in a dark room. In a light room, who cares, the Sharp would be so much better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CINERAMAX View Post

Hi Mark, the image was pretty good considering....

Considering what? It was fairly abysmal. Mark H. is right that it might sell $5K. Of course, in a year, the Sharp 90" will be very likely $6000, so then what? The LG will be need to be $3K. So today, it's twice what it needs to cost and by next year, it's 3x what it needs to cost.

We should be excited? I don't think so.

Honestly, LG's own people didn't seem excited.

post #49 of 90 Old 01-17-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:

You're right, except for the small size edge on the LG in a dark room. In a light room, who cares, the Sharp would be so much better.
Considering what? It was fairly abysmal. Mark H. is right that it might sell $5K. Of course, in a year, the Sharp 90" will be very likely $6000, so then what? The LG will be need to be $3K. So today, it's twice what it needs to cost and by next year, it's 3x what it needs to cost.

We should be excited? I don't think so.

Honestly, LG's own people didn't seem excited.

Thanks rogo .. i do agree with you wink.gif
i own LG PA70g and Benq w1070 playing with my mind to upgrade ( $1k ) thats steal biggrin.gif

anyway still waiting 1080p Led or Laser to come out next few months if my guessing is right !!
my budget not over $3k or Benq w1070 ready to shoot out until then .....

i hate to say the projector market is not making it easy with Led or Laser tech to buy
it just they dont wanna lose their tv panel share as they are the same who brings projectors out !!
in fact the laser tech is cheaper with no need of weel or focusing materials plus some free contrast ans saturation
but still they wanna go with bulb to pay them every 1/2 years and not competing with tv panels in terms of PQ and price tongue.gif
despite the need of room setup and buying a screen and the disadvantage may sparkling - RBE - color shifting - ambient light and ...etc biggrin.gif
post #50 of 90 Old 01-17-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:

i own LG PA70g and Benq w1070 playing with my mind to upgrade ( $1k ) thats steal biggrin.gif

anyway still waiting 1080p Led or Laser to come out next few months if my guessing is right !!

i hate to say the projector market is not making it easy with Led or Laser tech to buy
it just they dont wanna lose their tv panel share as they are the same who brings projectors out !!
in fact the laser tech is cheaper with no need of weel or focusing materials plus some free contrast ans saturation
but still they wanna go with bulb to pay them every 1/2 years and not competing with tv panels in terms of PQ and price tongue.gif
despite the need of room setup and buying a screen and the disadvantage may sparkling - RBE - color shifting - ambient light and ...etc biggrin.gif
post #51 of 90 Old 01-18-2013, 12:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

post #52 of 90 Old 01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:

I can walk out of Costco with a Sharp 90" for $9K. Why would this sell for $10,000 when it would be clearly worse in a bright room and still need >something< away from the screen?

Yes, it's a bit bigger, but not enough to care.

At $5K, we can talk.

Just out of curiousity, what's the recycling fee for a 90" TV? eek.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #53 of 90 Old 08-08-2013, 10:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Can someone in the US answer this for me as I'm thinking of buying one of these LG 100 inch Laser Hecto displays in Australia and LG Australia doesn't seen to know the products they sell and can't seen to give me a answer.
1/ Can these displays display 1920x1080i via HDMI (Satellite TV decoder, I have one Sat box the AZBox that can display an "i" source to "p") as all the HD channels I watch are in "i" and not "p". (ps I was told that the Hecto only displays progressive and not interlaced via HDMI)
2/ We in Australia require an external Set Top box ( given to you in the package deal) does the US model have the terrestrial TV tuner inbuilt in the unit?.

Not responsible for any post written after the 28/10/2014.
post #54 of 90 Old 08-08-2013, 10:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 33
These got delayed, I don't know if they are actually shipping yet.

I can't answer directly, but it would be a major, major flaw if they can't do interlaced material. EVERYBODY does interlaced.

Copyright is not property, it is merely a temporary loan from the public domain.
post #55 of 90 Old 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

This type of projector isn't new.
http://www.projectorcentral.com/NEC-U310W.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Dell-S500wi.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-BZ-1.htm
http://www.projectorcentral.com/Hitachi-CP-A222WN.htm

For example, it allows the image to be rear-projected on the table surface.

The black screen is very interesting indeed. I don't believe 1 000 000:1 number though.

These are called Ultra Short Throw projectors.
post #56 of 90 Old 08-09-2013, 06:54 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 20
I had a good look at one today at a store that sells for $8999 RRP Australian including a PVR/Bluray player combox

- The included black screen puts it somewhere between a TV and a Projector in Brightness/Contrast. (Still pretty washed out under lights to be honest)
- Colour fringing from the short throw lens is pretty annoying. Reminds me of a CRT projector that needs aligning (im probably being fussy but still)
- The screen has a reflective feel like those silver or high power screens. Also noticeably brighter at the center of the screen... Hot-spotting i guess you would call it
- It wasn't very sharp. Im not sure if it gets focused by the distance of the projection unit from the screen so maybe this was a setup issue?

I suspect even a Benq 1070 would projector a better picture.

A good idea for sure, and it has potential. If you are serious about image quality though a decent projector and screen would offer a much better picture.
post #57 of 90 Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbickle View Post

I had a good look at one today at a store that sells for $8999 RRP Australian including a PVR/Bluray player combox

-
- It wasn't very sharp. Im not sure if it gets focused by the distance of the projection unit from the screen so maybe this was a setup issue?

A good idea for sure, and it has potential. If you are serious about image quality though a decent projector and screen would offer a much better picture.
The one i saw was good. They had at least 9 other displays (all running the same media) on at the same time around it. The largest other display was the Sharp 80 inch and the Hecto was sharper than the Sharp 80 inch and equal to the Samsung 75 inch F8000. He did mention that the positioning of the Unit is Very, very critical for the correct focus and other. I can see the installers hitting and running on these things and it would be up to us nutters that like things done correctly to set them up as best as the unit can be. They have a unique pattern for adjusting everything. If I buy one I would be prepared to spend days in getting all the mechanical and software adjustments to the best of my ability.

post #58 of 90 Old 08-09-2013, 08:50 PM

I have noticed there is no "Owners Thread" on the AVS Forum yet for these Hecto projectors so I would assume that LG have not sold many in the US yet.
I rang LG Australia asking a few questions about specifications about these Laser Projectors and they themselves could not answer my question. They said "sir give me you phone number and I will ring you up when we get your answers. "I'm still waiting LG".
I have to say that the Specification on these Hecto is poor on the Australian LG site, even the US one is not much better.

post #59 of 90 Old 08-09-2013, 11:43 PM

I have been searching LG sites around the world and finally I find one that has the full specs of the Hecto as I've been looking for the full resolution and compatibility of NTSC on this beast. I wonder if they only make one model for world wide
http://www.lg.com/ae/projectors/lg-HECTO

post #60 of 90 Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

LG just announced probably one of the most revolutionary projector in the last decade, and noone seem to care.

Why?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/07/lg-hecto/

Too expensive, and is ONLY 100" !

No way!

[]s,
Fernando
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP