JVC RS 20 Won't Turn Off - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 07:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know why this is happening but I can't turn the unit off with the remote or by the manual standby button. Any help would sure be appreciated. I know unplugging it isn't good for the lamp but that's all I can do at this point.

Thanks

Thanks,
ep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter

Problem solved with great help from JVC, on Sunday no less.

Thanks,
ep
post #3 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 11:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick peterson View Post

Problem solved with great help from JVC, on Sunday no less.

So... what was the problem? solution? in case others run into this...
post #4 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

I am not sure it is solved after all becasue I had the problem again. The initial fix was to disconnect the hdmi and try turning it off. It worked. Then go to the JVC "connections" in the menu and change the "hdmi" power control to ON which made no sense to me since the Onkyo pre pro had that set to OFF. So i don't see why turning the JVC setting to ON should make it work. It was set to OFF. And why wouldn't you be able to manually turn it OFF no matter what the settings? I couldn't.

Later I tried setting the Onkyo hdmi control to ON and the JVC as well. No good. Tried again with the hdmi OFF on the JVC and I think it worked once and then wouldn't. I should have wrote things down as I went along but I didn't think it would get so complicated. So when I left it (after a lot of time wasted for the on off cycle of the JVC) it worked with the JVC hdmi power control to ON, and off for the Onkyo.

I'm wondering if there might not be some other factor involved becasue I don't have the feeling that there is enough consistancy of results. No matter what through all of this it would turn ON, just not OFF.

Any ideas are welcome in case I have to go at it again.

Thanks,
ep
post #5 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter

Definately not working again. Have to call them back tomorrow.

Thanks,
ep
post #6 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Perhaps that HDMI connection/circuit is developing a fault.

Try plugging into the second HDMI connector on the projector

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #7 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 07:05 PM - Thread Starter

Highjinks,

Great idea and thanks for helping. I tried your suggestion with these results.

The URC 880 remote that I use all the time still couldn't turn the JVC off in the other hdmi port. However, the JVC remote and the POWER page commands on the URC remote did function. I don't think I had these last two positive results in the other port since I tried everyhthing I could think of earlier. I'll have to try these with the original port tomorrow.

I'm wondering if my URC's latest 'live program update" download may have messed with my programing somehow since the timing is about right. The program entries look right though.

It would help speed up troubleshooting if there were a way to test the signal results without having to go through the lengthy projector on/off cycles. Do you know a shortcut?

Thanks,
ep
post #8 of 18 Old 12-30-2012, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick peterson View Post

Highjinks,
Great idea and thanks for helping. I tried your suggestion with these results.
The URC 880 remote that I use all the time still couldn't turn the JVC off in the other hdmi port. However, the JVC remote and the POWER page commands on the URC remote did function. I don't think I had these last two positive results in the other port since I tried everyhthing I could think of earlier. I'll have to try these with the original port tomorrow.
I'm wondering if my URC's latest 'live program update" download may have messed with my programing somehow since the timing is about right. The program entries look right though.
It would help speed up troubleshooting if there were a way to test the signal results without having to go through the lengthy projector on/off cycles. Do you know a shortcut?

Sorry I don't. Why not try with the original JVC remote?

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #9 of 18 Old 12-31-2012, 07:58 AM - Thread Starter

Did that too. Inconsistant. Seems as though there might be some condition necessary in the JVC to allow the OFF command to function that isn't repeating. No idea.

Thanks,
ep
post #10 of 18 Old 12-31-2012, 08:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
hello Rick

I have a similar problem with a 12 year old projector (sanyo plv70). here is my thread
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1441134/failing-ir-and-push-buttons-on-projector-not-working#post_22638303

maybe we can come up with a similiar solution.

do you have another lamp to swap out. for me It kind of worked. but I have only turn on the projector twice.
I do a hard button turn off from projector to save lamp when remote commands don't work.

Larry
post #11 of 18 Old 12-31-2012, 09:08 PM
AVS Special Member

how old is the projector and how many bulbs have you gone through?

grasping at straws i am wondering if bad or faulty power supplies could be the problem.
post #12 of 18 Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Bought new in 09, have the original lamp/bulb, and about 1100 hours.

Thanks,
ep
post #13 of 18 Old 01-02-2013, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 42
do you have a darbee darblet in the chain? Sometimes, when I play the Wii with the darblet, my rs20 will not shut off. HOWEVER, If i turn back on the prepro (an integra DHC-40.1), the 20 will then cycle down. I definitely think it is an HDMI thing, and I'm wondering why the industry came up with such a touchy protocol....

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #14 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 05:34 AM - Thread Starter

Yes I do, and just recently installed it. I kind of think the problem is linked to the Darbee somehow as well. Assuming you have a macro for turning off your system, where in the chain do you do the JVC and do you have more than one place in the macro for that off command?

Thanks,
ep
post #15 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 09:40 AM

I had a similar problem with my JVC DLA-RS60U3D failed! It did this three times and each time went back to the shop. On mine The image faded and then the darn thing would not turn off no matter what I did. The cover would not go over the lens. We removed the HDMI wire and finally had to pull out the plug. I told my dealer that since this happened three times, I really didn’t want this unit back. I paid a little extra money (which i did not want to do) and I got a mew model. I had a few hundred hours on it.

For em sending it back is an effort. The projector is mounted on the ceiling and someone has to come and take it down. I was not happy. How is yours hooked up? What is the warranty? Can you send it back for a check up?

Surround Pre-Amp: Krell 707 3D; Amp: (center) Krell 400e; Amp Fronts Krell 600e; Rears Proceed HPA-3; SACD: Krell Cipher; FM: Day Sequerra FM Reference; Blu-Ray: Oppo BDP 105; Speakers: Revel Ultima Salon 2; Center: Revel Voice 2; Rear/Back: Thiel Powerplanes; Subs: 2 SVS SB-13 Ultra; Turntable:...
post #16 of 18 Old 01-05-2013, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter

Its on the ceiling, and the warranty is over. Bought it in 09. I think this is a solvable problem at this time and may not be the projectors fault. We'll see what turns up.

Thanks,
ep
post #17 of 18 Old 01-08-2013, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

After spending another bunch of time with this I may have a solution but not the cause. I moved the PJ OFF command to the front of the macro from the end. It used to work the way it was. What I was seeing was if the PJ is still on and the screen is dark, no OFF signal or button will work.

With the Darby in the line, on shut down the screen would get a flash of what I'll call white noise. Fine specks of black on a white screen. Sort of like those things you can take a picture of with your smart phone in magazines. Then it would go dark and stay on and not accept the OFF. If I unplugged the hdmi at the JVC it went to blue screen and would shut off. That's the key, blue screen or active screen. I think, for now anyway.

Without the Darby, no white noise, then dark screen, then shortly after, blue screen. Blue screen good! It'll shut down if the OFF signal is issued whene it's a blue screen.

So now I'll see if this fix works over time with the Darby in line. What this means is unknown to me and if anyone can interpret this for me, please do.

I don't know what the mode of the JVC is called where the screen is dark and the bulb is still on (but not projecting) and why at that point it won't turn off.

Amen for now. Thanks for the help.

Thanks,
ep
post #18 of 18 Old 01-08-2013, 06:48 PM
AVS Special Member

hope it stays working. wierd thing these projectors. smile.gif
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List