Projector for Gaming, Scope, Ambient Light - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 12-30-2012, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello,

I am boggled at this point by the many projectors available. Its definitely harder (for me at least) than choosing a TV. DLP, LCOS, SXRD, lumens, lamberts, lol. I'm at a loss at this point. I would like to set up a home theater which will be in my living room. My priorities are:

Gaming:
  • Input Lag - The lower the better. I'm not a twitch gamer so I think less than 50 ms is okay.
  • Motion Blur - While playing games in first person whether they are shooters or RPG's, motion is a big deal. It needs to be crisp and clean.
  • Picture Quality - This is what its all about not matter what. I'd like something that gives me rich and vibrant colors like a Dell Ultrasharp (sometimes these are a little over the top, but I want good colors) while maintaining good blacks.

Movies:
  • Scope and 16:9 - I don't want to have to fiddle with anything when changing between one format or the other. Lens memory (or whatever that is called) is a must. I want to be able to have two settings. For example, preset 2.37:1 and 16:9. I can deal with some spillover if the movie happens to be 2.4:1.
  • Picture Quality - Again, I want as good a picture as I can reasonably get without having a horrendous gaming experience.

Just some general info. My key concerns are movies and games. However, I will have some ambient light viewing. There is ambient light due to windows and lights (non directly shining on the screen). When watching movies I'll probably have things completely dark. I rarely watch anything during the day. However, for sports or video gaming with friends I may want some light. Ambient light performance doesn't need to be excellent, just readable/viewable.

I have done the best I can to eliminate input lag in my current system. I have an HTPC outputting 7ch analog to dedicated amps and the video goes straight to a Mitsu 73" DLP. I have found this to be very responsive without the receiver being involved. I like gaming and movies on my current DLP but am ready for a scope experience. I should also be able to game in scope using a 1920x810/817 resolution. There aren't any hacks that force a projector to do higher resolutions like 2048×858 - 2K (2.39:1) and 4096×1714 - 4K (2.39:1) are there? I would imagine not or it would have lit up the forums.

I have planned on using a sitting distance of 1 width in scope. For ease of calcs, if I have a 2.4:1 screen and sit 8' away that gives me a 2.4H sitting distance as well, which is recommended by many. Seems pretty easy. Did I get that right? Projector mounting is flexible. I will probably mount to the ceiling in whatever the ideal location is. I think long and short throw would work, although short throw is brighter with ambient light right? This is a sketch of my plan. The small bumps indicate the screen. The rest is just to cover up speakers and provide at least 2' on all sides of the screen for black velvet or something similar. There's a coffe table, side tables, and fireplace shown here as well. That's just so I can see how stuff fits.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page