Sony Laser Projection...... Update - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 88 Old 01-02-2013, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Sony Has been working with Laser Light Engine(http://www.laserlightengines.com) for there projectors.

Sony Showed only select people last year at NAB there 4k Cinema with Laser.

If it is ready for CES they will be Showing the 4k home projector with the Laser Light engine, streaming from the 4k box.

The info is pretty hush about this stuff, and hopefully next week it will be shown.

There is also in the works a upgrade to replace XENON and UHP bulbs to laser. I don't know which models, but the light engine will be external and have fiber optics to the projector.

Take all this info with a grain of salt, as these things may take longer to come.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 88 Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
well... not gonna be like $25k (better by a car) tongue.gif
more like $10k vs RedRay projector ....

and wait .. the other products coming up !!!
LG "HECTO" Laser TV with active screen ( i like that ) biggrin.gif
the 2013 is the way we look different to the home theater on laser flash .. and 4k tech starts ....

thanks
post #3 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

There is so many products I have seen. The question is will they ever make it out into the real world. $25k well that is good for 1st gen, But they are trying to get cost down for the 4k projector. You will see 4k from 10k to 15k. I was told 10k but that I think is optimistic, and trying to probably compete with red.
post #4 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 05:10 AM

Liked: 10
also will be some devices like current F-series, but with laser engine...
post #5 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 05:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Where is that GLV projector technology that was bought by Sony?
post #6 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorona View Post

also will be some devices like current F-series, but with laser engine...

Correct I saw the Fh36 with edge blending and warp built in.
post #7 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 05:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elix View Post

Where is that GLV projector technology that was bought by Sony?

They still have it, can't say much more then that...... sorry for the tease.
post #8 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Red does not have middleman mark up. Sony does. Pure and simple. What Red sells for $15K Sony would MSRP for something under $25K which would street for under $20K. Sony can not price compete with Red unless they only sell direct and then on small margins, not their present store models.
stevenjw likes this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #9 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mark I agree with Home theater market, but with the Pro Market Sony is changing.
post #10 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 12:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

There is still a middleman in the Sony Pro market. just different middlemen.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #11 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting and exciting..........now we are likely to have a flood of laser tech...nice.

Red manufacturer in the U.S, the likes of Sony and JVC will manufacture where it is cheapest to do so, hopefully we will see competitive pricing.

Perhaps we'll see Drop Shipping for some of their models.

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
Hiran J Wijeyesekera - 1985.
post #12 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by space2001 View Post

Sony Has been working with Laser Light Engine(http://www.laserlightengines.com) for there projectors.
Sony Showed only select people last year at NAB there 4k Cinema with Laser.
If it is ready for CES they will be Showing the 4k home projector with the Laser Light engine, streaming from the 4k box.
The info is pretty hush about this stuff, and hopefully next week it will be shown.
There is also in the works a upgrade to replace XENON and UHP bulbs to laser. I don't know which models, but the light engine will be external and have fiber optics to the projector.
Take all this info with a grain of salt, as these things may take longer to come.

Are you suggesting that it might be possible to have an external lazer light engine hooked up via a fiber optics cable, to a Sony VW1000 projector, say, with its lamp removed/deactivated?     Seems pretty far out, but would be neat.

post #13 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by millerwill View Post

Are you suggesting that it might be possible to have an external lazer light engine hooked up via a fiber optics cable, to a Sony VW1000 projector, say, with its lamp removed/deactivated?     Seems pretty far out, but would be neat.

That would be just terrific for you VW1000 owners.

Pop out the cover and lamp assembly, replace new fiber optic connected cover/module.......calibrate and will be good for 20K hours!

May the success of a Nation be judged not by its collective wealth nor by its power, but by the contentment of its people.
post #14 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Anything is possible. Of course it could be done. Will Sony do it imminently or even ever? I think they would come out with a new 1000ES laser powered first say at $30K. And what would be the lumens . One could stack laser light sources and feed them into the projector. If the thing put out enough lumens, you could dump that HP 2.4 screen and get a Reference grade fabric. I'll come out and help you make sure the side walls etc are nice and black absorptive

Sony needs to develop and introduce money making products. A mod kit to change the light source could not be a huge money maker considering how few 1000ES have been sold (not because they are good or worth it but the market is small. a simple swap out input board mod yes to make sure their units conforms if source specs change. But pandering to nerd who want a l;aser source so they dfon't have to change a few bulbs before their projector is obsolete like all projectors become over a short period of time, why would they do this.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #15 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 05:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Anything is possible. Of course it could be done. Will Sony do it imminently or even ever? I think they would come out with a new 1000ES laser powered first say at $30K. And what would be the lumens . One could stack laser light sources and feed them into the projector. If the thing put out enough lumens, you could dump that HP 2.4 screen and get a Reference grade fabric. I'll come out and help you make sure the side walls etc are nice and black absorptive
Sony needs to develop and introduce money making products. A mod kit to change the light source could not be a huge money maker considering how few 1000ES have been sold (not because they are good or worth it but the market is small. a simple swap out input board mod yes to make sure their units conforms if source specs change. But pandering to nerd who want a l;aser source so they dfon't have to change a few bulbs before their projector is obsolete like all projectors become over a short period of time, why would they do this.

I agree that the lumens are the key, Mark:   I would certainly not want to replace the lamp for a laser light engine if it required giving up lumens.      (And no need for dumping on the HP2.4 screen; IMHO it IS 'reference'--it's creamy smooth and totally disappears--but this is a discussion with no end--just like Congress.)    And I do have ProtoStar material on my ceiling and side walls, out to ~ 9 ft from the screen wall, and dark wine-colored drapes that my wife made for the rest of the room.    It's not technically a batcave, but very close.

I also agree that it's more likely that Sony will simply come out with a new projector for their laser light source (if they do bring this to market).    I don't recall a case where any vendor has offered a major upgrade, rather than simply urging one to buy the latest and greatest.    And spending ~ $800 a yr for a lamp, over the next 3-5 yrs, is probably less that what Sony would want for an upgrade.

post #16 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

i forget you already had a close to black pit room.

i doubt the laser light sorce wou;d put out less lumens than the 1000ES bulb lit. my comment was if you could get a big boost in lumens you could get a better screen. Hopefully, you will visit again to see what I am talking about with the Snomatt screen.

Not an option with the present lumens of the 1000ES and your huge screen size which I know you enjoy so much. But my friend, it takes a realism away that you can't imagine without seeing it.

As a question of science, you can't say it is reference as a fact. You have an opinion based on a limited set of observations. The right tests and observations would make you change your opinion to one closer to the fact..

As to congess, I couldn't help being moved by the Anthem presentation at the bowl game tonight. The olympic high jukmper medalist singing the Anthem with a flag covering the whole field with the bald eagle doing a fly over and landing perfectly on cue. It I think made everyone forget about the mess in Washington and made us all feel like united Americans.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #17 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

..... my comment was if you could get a big boost in lumens you could get a better screen. Hopefully, you will visit again to see what I am talking about with the Snomatt screen.
Not an option with the present lumens of the 1000ES and your huge screen size which I know you enjoy so much. But my friend, it takes a realism away that you can't imagine without seeing it.
As a question of science, you can't say it is reference as a fact. You have an opinion based on a limited set of observations. The right tests and observations would make you change your opinion to one closer to the fact. ....

I look forward to my next visit with you, Mark--in FL, I presume?   I would indeed like to see your screen, though it's of course impossible to make comparisons without them side-by-side.     Similarly, you can check out the HP2. 4 here (though I think you already have) if you make it out to Berzerkley.    And yes, there's NOTHING that can compete with SIZE for visual impact.    I project HDTV in 17x9 ('true' 4K) at 136x72, sitting ~ 11 to 12 ft away; it's engrossing*, and one fully appreciates 4K (even upscaled from 1080) at this distance.

*All the football games have been amazing!

post #18 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I'll order in a 110" HP on a stand for 3D viewing and then we all can do direct comparisons, same everything except the screen material.

I am still awaiting some house repairs caused by the hurricane before I put our house on the market. My guess is we won't be moving until mid summer.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #19 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:02 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'll order in a 110" HP on a stand for 3D viewing and then we all can do direct comparisons, same everything except the screen material.
I am still awaiting some house repairs caused by the hurricane before I put our house on the market. My guess is we won't be moving until mid summer.

That would be neat if you had an HP for comparison!    Will you have this in MD or wait 'til you get to FL?     If the former, I might try to come to my annual DC meeting ~ the end of April.

post #20 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM
AVS Addicted Member

In the interest of having a world class scientist make definitive observations for the entire AV Science scientific community. I will order it in now. I suspect in Florida that I will want a HP pulldown 9in my present theater, a pull down would block the above screen center speaker, i will take the plunge now.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #21 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM
AVS Special Member

My HP's dissapear at the touch of a button.........

post #22 of 88 Old 01-03-2013, 09:39 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

In the interest of having a world class scientist make definitive observations for the entire AV Science scientific community. I will order it in now. I suspect in Florida that I will want a HP pulldown 9in my present theater, a pull down would block the above screen center speaker, i will take the plunge now.

OK, I'll make my plans and let you hear!

Any predictions about what may be revealed by Sony at the CES next week?--a 4K laser projector, a 4K BD player, etc.?

post #23 of 88 Old 01-04-2013, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, Laser Light engine has 2 Laser Modules. 1 fiber optic for RGB( all colors down 1 pipe) or 3 separate Fiber cables for or RGB.

What is great about these is that they can be adjusted, So you will not loose light output when calibrating.
post #24 of 88 Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

OK, I'll make my plans and let you hear!

Any predictions about what may be revealed by Sony at the CES next week?--a 4K laser projector, a 4K BD player, etc.?

I know what Sony has planned but do not know if they will show it do to it not being ready.
On the 7th you will start seeing the press releases.

Otherwise it will be an exciting year.

Remember Sony wants 4k to happen.
post #25 of 88 Old 01-04-2013, 05:44 AM
AVS Addicted Member

The sony press conference is by invitation only and is scheduled for 5PM Pacific time on Monday the 7th.

Look for lots of coverage of their new phones and cameras.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
post #26 of 88 Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

I know what Sony has planned but do not know if they will show it do to it not being ready.
On the 7th you will start seeing the press releases.
Otherwise it will be an exciting year.
Remember Sony wants 4k to happen.

Nothing announced by Sony at their CES press conference.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #27 of 88 Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Nothing announced by Sony at their CES press conference.

They decided to hold back, Can't give more details wish I could.
post #28 of 88 Old 01-09-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Quote:

They decided to hold back, Can't give more details wish I could.

Doesn't Sony usually hold their own product line dealer show around the end of Feb.? Perhaps they are waiting until then (or even CEDIA in Sept.) to be willing to talk about a laser based 4K upgrade.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #29 of 88 Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

Doesn't Sony usually hold their own product line dealer show around the end of Feb.? Perhaps they are waiting until then (or even CEDIA in Sept.) to be willing to talk about a laser based 4K upgrade.

They have a private dealer showings for some products under NDA all the time an usually around shows. Where they will show some stuff is at InfoComm and NAB. Also holding up some stuff is Content/codecs ala H265 and connections(hdmi).

Right now if they release a product it would have to be upgraded by the end of the year. They are testing there own HDBASET connection to make a upgradable path easy.
post #30 of 88 Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Liked: 11
Do you know if Sony laser projector will need a silver screen?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page