Need advice on upgrading my Sony VPL-VWPRO1. Looking for better black levels. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 1 Old 01-02-2013, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I currently have the VPL-VWPRO1. Its been a great projector but I think I am ready for better black levels. Here is my setup currently:

VPL-VWPRO1 Unit
Elite Screens 1:1 Contrast Fixed Frame White
Ambient Light: 1 Table Lamp
Throw Distance: 12ft
Bulb Life: 70 Hours / New Bulb

Most of the time I have all lights off in the room. Walls and ceiling are painted white (Rental House). But when the room is completely dark only a small amount of projector light is bounced on the wall and ceiling.

At best on the darkest scenes in a movie I get a dark grey color. This has always been. I have tried numerous calibration settings and black level adjustments to get the black level down.

The big question here is can I get a much better black level by moving to something like the JVC RS series? I have heard that the black level on these models is fantastic in different ambient level rooms. I am willing to sacrifice brightness for black. smile.gif

I could probably sell my projector for a quick $1,600.00+ on the used market and add a little to get a nice used JVC if needed. Most of the movies I have are BluRay 1080p running on my OPPO BDP-93.

I have not tried any (Grey Screen Models) to see if that would really help. Firehawk, etc...

Any advice you guys might have would be awesome! I really like the Sony but I feel like I am missing the black levels...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vwpro1 Sxrd Black Home Theater Projector , Oppo Bdp 93 Blu Ray Player

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page