Sim2 HT5000: Time to Replace? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm looking for some advice, as I've been out of the projector market for a few years. I have a Sim2 HT5000 with a IOSC wide screen lens attachment and a Faroudja DVP-1010. I have a 130 inch screen, and primarily use the set-up for Blu-ray.

Today, I had a guy over to do some work on security camera's, who happened to say his main business is Home Theatre and projectors. He proceeded to tell me that with the advances in projectors, I'd actually be much better off with the JVC DLA-X75 or X95. He then proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't get a penny for my current equipment which is effectively worthless. I had been thinking to upgrade the projector in order to handle 3D.

Has anyone compared the HT5000 with current projectors? I am very happy with it, and the only complaint I have is that it's quite noisey, but I'd be happy to replace for another quality jump.

I do actually need another projector for a different location, and looking around the reviews and the projector market it appears that 4k is the next big thing, and I would be better of with the Sony VPL-VW1000ES than the above JVC's. Anything better or would the Sony suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowq View Post

Today, I had a guy over to do some work on security camera's, who happened to say his main business is Home Theatre and projectors. He proceeded to tell me that with the advances in projectors, I'd actually be much better off with the JVC DLA-X75 or X95. He then proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't get a penny for my current equipment which is effectively worthless. I had been thinking to upgrade the projector in order to handle 3D.

That guy is a piece of work. Worthless eek.gif Are you kidding me? That guy probably wants to put it in his home theatre. Before I start ranting, we are talking about Sim2's old flagship 1080p 3 chip DLP model here, not the 720p HT500 right? I have seen the HT5000 and the current JVC models, unless you want sacrifice sharpness, brightness, colour and dimensionality for black level - you are doing just fine.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

That guy is a piece of work. Worthless eek.gif Are you kidding me? That guy probably wants to put it in his home theatre. Before I start ranting, we are talking about Sim2's old flagship 1080p 3 chip DLP model here, not the 720p HT500 right? I have seen the HT5000 and the current JVC models, unless you want sacrifice sharpness, brightness, colour and dimensionality for black level - you are doing just fine.

Thanks Daniel, that's helpful and good to know. Yes, it is the old flagship HT5000.
Guess he was trying to scam me!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Maybe not trying to scam you, but just that perhaps just a bit too wrapped up in the idea that only black level matters in term of image quality. However, if you do fancy swopping it for a JVC...wink.gif

(Joking).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #5 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Liked: 13
To be honest, the new JVC's are definitely good units. However, the HT5000 is in a bit of a different league. I really think if you wanted to upgrade it would be to a newer model 1080p 3chip DLP maybe with 3D if that is your thing. Otherwise, I would sit tight and let all of the 4K hype sort itself out.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 312 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Yes, that guy is either trying to scam you or he doesn't know what he's talking about. The HT5000 is still one of the nicest units one can have in the 1080p world. The only real advantage the JVC has is native On/Off contrast. If you want 3D my suggestion would be to get a separate cheap and bright single chip DLP like the BenQ W7000. You can have the best of both worlds and only use the BenQ when watching 3D and then use the Sim2 for 2D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked: 464
I agree. Your next upgrade should be to a good 4K projector that has enough light to light your screen.The HT5000 is one fine projector.

Mark Haflich

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8 of 8 Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 351
JVC=better blacks

That is about it here. The HT5000 is going to have far better optics (better focus, uniformity) and is considerably brighter. Plus color is going to look better on the Sim2. Depending on screen size and how picky you are I would definitely say the JVC will hold its own against the Sim2, but the guy saying yours is worthless is a flat out lie. That is still a reference level display for 2D playback.

Senior Video Editor
Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sim2 , Jvc Dla X95r
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page