Sim2 HT5000: Time to Replace? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 01:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I'm looking for some advice, as I've been out of the projector market for a few years. I have a Sim2 HT5000 with a IOSC wide screen lens attachment and a Faroudja DVP-1010. I have a 130 inch screen, and primarily use the set-up for Blu-ray.

Today, I had a guy over to do some work on security camera's, who happened to say his main business is Home Theatre and projectors. He proceeded to tell me that with the advances in projectors, I'd actually be much better off with the JVC DLA-X75 or X95. He then proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't get a penny for my current equipment which is effectively worthless. I had been thinking to upgrade the projector in order to handle 3D.

Has anyone compared the HT5000 with current projectors? I am very happy with it, and the only complaint I have is that it's quite noisey, but I'd be happy to replace for another quality jump.

I do actually need another projector for a different location, and looking around the reviews and the projector market it appears that 4k is the next big thing, and I would be better of with the Sony VPL-VW1000ES than the above JVC's. Anything better or would the Sony suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknowq View Post

Today, I had a guy over to do some work on security camera's, who happened to say his main business is Home Theatre and projectors. He proceeded to tell me that with the advances in projectors, I'd actually be much better off with the JVC DLA-X75 or X95. He then proceeded to tell me that I wouldn't get a penny for my current equipment which is effectively worthless. I had been thinking to upgrade the projector in order to handle 3D.

That guy is a piece of work. Worthless eek.gif Are you kidding me? That guy probably wants to put it in his home theatre. Before I start ranting, we are talking about Sim2's old flagship 1080p 3 chip DLP model here, not the 720p HT500 right? I have seen the HT5000 and the current JVC models, unless you want sacrifice sharpness, brightness, colour and dimensionality for black level - you are doing just fine.

post #3 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 09:01 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post

That guy is a piece of work. Worthless eek.gif Are you kidding me? That guy probably wants to put it in his home theatre. Before I start ranting, we are talking about Sim2's old flagship 1080p 3 chip DLP model here, not the 720p HT500 right? I have seen the HT5000 and the current JVC models, unless you want sacrifice sharpness, brightness, colour and dimensionality for black level - you are doing just fine.

Thanks Daniel, that's helpful and good to know. Yes, it is the old flagship HT5000.
Guess he was trying to scam me!
post #4 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Maybe not trying to scam you, but just that perhaps just a bit too wrapped up in the idea that only black level matters in term of image quality. However, if you do fancy swopping it for a JVC...wink.gif

(Joking).

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...now using e-shift.
post #5 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 10:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 18
To be honest, the new JVC's are definitely good units. However, the HT5000 is in a bit of a different league. I really think if you wanted to upgrade it would be to a newer model 1080p 3chip DLP maybe with 3D if that is your thing. Otherwise, I would sit tight and let all of the 4K hype sort itself out.
post #6 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked: 435
Yes, that guy is either trying to scam you or he doesn't know what he's talking about. The HT5000 is still one of the nicest units one can have in the 1080p world. The only real advantage the JVC has is native On/Off contrast. If you want 3D my suggestion would be to get a separate cheap and bright single chip DLP like the BenQ W7000. You can have the best of both worlds and only use the BenQ when watching 3D and then use the Sim2 for 2D.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
For Sale: Mitsubishi HC5 1080p SXRD Projector
My Crazy Projector Journey!
post #7 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 977 Post(s)
Liked: 722
I agree. Your next upgrade should be to a good 4K projector that has enough light to light your screen.The HT5000 is one fine projector.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8 of 30 Old 01-04-2013, 01:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked: 507
JVC=better blacks

That is about it here. The HT5000 is going to have far better optics (better focus, uniformity) and is considerably brighter. Plus color is going to look better on the Sim2. Depending on screen size and how picky you are I would definitely say the JVC will hold its own against the Sim2, but the guy saying yours is worthless is a flat out lie. That is still a reference level display for 2D playback.

My Theater Room

Technical Editor/Writer

Sound and Vision
post #9 of 30 Old 02-24-2015, 06:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

Liked: 12
Fast forward 2 years...

My HT5000 is in need of repair (again). I live in California and the only service center is in Florida. I sent it in 2 years ago for the same problem at a cost of around $700, they ran it for 100 hours and it never acted up. I guess it wanted a vacation. They did swap out some boards that were factory paid replacements and we all hoped that fixed the problem. It worked almost flawlessly for the next 2 years. But now it's not happy.

What to do? If I don't get it fixed who would want it? If I do get it fixed, is it even worth what I would pay for shipping and repairs (perhaps $1500 - $2000 or more)? Is it better to cut my losses and buy something else? Something more reasonably priced? Projectors seem to have come a long way in the last few years.

What would be a decent replacement in the single digit thousands? Read a good deal about the Sony VPL-HW55ES, then read a bit about poor focus in the corners (plastic lens). But at 12-16' viewing distances maybe it doesn't matter. A projector in that price range is a bit easier to stomach should it fail or when it becomes obsolete.

I don't want anything dimmer (or much dimmer). I always run the HT5000 in low lamp mode. I have a dedicated light controlled room.

I'm most sensitive to what I guess I would call "pan blur" (a less than crisp image during pans). Is that the projector or is it the film?

I got a great deal on the HT5000 at the time, but my lesson learned is to not spend so much on something that will be obsolete in a few years.

Thoughts appreciated.
post #10 of 30 Old 02-24-2015, 06:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowandthen View Post
Fast forward 2 years...

My HT5000 is in need of repair (again). I live in California and the only service center is in Florida. I sent it in 2 years ago for the same problem at a cost of around $700, they ran it for 100 hours and it never acted up. I guess it wanted a vacation. They did swap out some boards that were factory paid replacements and we all hoped that fixed the problem. It worked almost flawlessly for the next 2 years. But now it's not happy.

What to do? If I don't get it fixed who would want it? If I do get it fixed, is it even worth what I would pay for shipping and repairs (perhaps $1500 - $2000 or more)? Is it better to cut my losses and buy something else? Something more reasonably priced? Projectors seem to have come a long way in the last few years.

What would be a decent replacement in the single digit thousands? Read a good deal about the Sony VPL-HW55ES, then read a bit about poor focus in the corners (plastic lens). But at 12-16' viewing distances maybe it doesn't matter. A projector in that price range is a bit easier to stomach should it fail or when it becomes obsolete.

I don't want anything dimmer (or much dimmer). I always run the HT5000 in low lamp mode. I have a dedicated light controlled room.

I'm most sensitive to what I guess I would call "pan blur" (a less than crisp image during pans). Is that the projector or is it the film?

I got a great deal on the HT5000 at the time, but my lesson learned is to not spend so much on something that will be obsolete in a few years.

Thoughts appreciated.
What size and gain screen?
What is your room like?
What do you use your projector for?

Sony HW55 is good all around projector. JVC is a really good 2D projector. For a little more money, you can get the Sony VW350ES for $7,999. Just need more info, so that we can narrow down, what would work well for you. If we can help you, shoot us an email or give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #11 of 30 Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 22
Quote:
Fast forward 2 years...

Thoughts appreciated.
Seeing as I replied to your first post, I feel duty bound to reply to your 2 year update. Plus I haven't posted on here for a long time.
It sounds like its becoming a bit of a labour of love but the HT5000 still puts out one hell of a picture in my opinion. Obsolete is not a really a term I would use when there is hardly any 4K content out there. I don't think Art in the $20k+ forum has had any desire to upgrade yet.
I would try to demo some of the Sony 4k projectors, those are most likely to offer you a decent difference.
If you do compare, please share as I remember being floored by the HT5000 and I'm interested to hear a current comparison.
However if you end up saying on here that you prefer your Sim2 just be prepared for people to say that you have defective eyes/faulty comparison setups etc.

post #12 of 30 Old 02-24-2015, 08:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post
Seeing as I replied to your first post, I feel duty bound to reply to your 2 year update. Plus I haven't posted on here for a long time.
It sounds like its becoming a bit of a labour of love but the HT5000 still puts out one hell of a picture in my opinion. Obsolete is not a really a term I would use when there is hardly any 4K content out there. I don't think Art in the $20k+ forum has had any desire to upgrade yet.
I would try to demo some of the Sony 4k projectors, those are most likely to offer you a decent difference.
If you do compare, please share as I remember being floored by the HT5000 and I'm interested to hear a current comparison.
However if you end up saying on here that you prefer your Sim2 just be prepared for people to say that you have defective eyes/faulty comparison setups etc.
I remember reading Art's comments on when he demo'ed a Sony VPL-VW1000ES and he concluded the difference in PQ was not large enough to warrant a purchase to replace his HT5000. The viewing experience may be different for the OP so it's definitely worth checking out granted he's willing to spend that kind of dough again on a projector. What he'll likely find is that the 1100ES gives you more on/off contrast performance, but in the other areas like ANSI contrast, brightness, motion, and uniformity (both color and white field) are all better on the HT5000. These are DLP traits that are inherent in any DLP projector with a decent lens and high output bulb/light engine. Based on the fact that you're still enjoying the HT5000 I'm guessing you aren't a black level fanatic like many on the forum are. So in the end you may find yourself more than happy with the HT5000 until a higher performance 4K DLP projector comes out within your budget, especially if you want to keep the traits listed above which no non-DLP projector including the Sony 4K's can compete with, and this may be only a couple years from now. From what I've heard TI plans to release a native 4K chip with a couple new tweaks to increase native contrast even further than their best DMDs now can manage. I didn't get a time frame but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something from Sim2, DP, or Runco about a native 4K projector using TIs smaller 4K DMD at CEDIA this year. Someone mentioned in the $20000+ forum that TI has had a .9" native 4K DMD for a number of years now but none of the commercial companies jumped in to use it. Could this be the size of the new 4K DMD we're getting? Excuse me, just thinking out loud here.

Plus there's news that Christie and Dolby are working separately on ultra high contrast DLP projectors. This uses 2 or two sets of 3 DMDs that work in tandem. The first set works as a contrast modulator and the second set would work like a normal set (or single) DMD(s). We're talking 1,000,000:1 native contrast. I sure hope something like this trickles down to the consumer segment of the market. Something like this would be pretty close to the theoretical "perfect" projector for most. I have a feeling exciting times are coming in the world of front projection!
Deja Vu likes this.

post #13 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked: 227
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
From what I've heard TI plans to release a native 4K chip with a couple new tweaks to increase native contrast even further than their best DMDs now can manage. I didn't get a time frame but I wouldn't be surprised if we hear something from Sim2, DP, or Runco about a native 4K projector using TIs smaller 4K DMD at CEDIA this year. Someone mentioned in the $20000+ forum that TI has had a .9" native 4K DMD for a number of years now but none of the commercial companies jumped in to use it. Could this be the size of the new 4K DMD we're getting? Excuse me, just thinking out loud here.

Plus there's news that Christie and Dolby are working separately on ultra high contrast DLP projectors. This uses 2 or two sets of 3 DMDs that work in tandem. The first set works as a contrast modulator and the second set would work like a normal set (or single) DMD(s). We're talking 1,000,000:1 native contrast. I sure hope something like this trickles down to the consumer segment of the market. Something like this would be pretty close to the theoretical "perfect" projector for most. I have a feeling exciting times are coming in the world of front projection!
And it can't happen soon enough.
post #14 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 03:39 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by danieledmunds View Post
First of all, my apologies, I am not the OP of this thread, I should have said, resurrecting a 2-year old thread rather than fast forward. I still appreciate all the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post
What size and gain screen?
What is your room like?
What do you use your projector for?

Sony HW55 is good all around projector. JVC is a really good 2D projector. For a little more money, you can get the Sony VW350ES for $7,999. Just need more info, so that we can narrow down, what would work well for you. If we can help you, shoot us an email or give us a call.
Screen is 60" high and 107" wide in 16:9 mode and 60 x144" in 21:9 mode. Screen is SMX acoustically transparent. If I recall correctly, the gain is slightly over 1.
Completely light controlled room with dark blue (near-black) fabric covered walls.
Used primarily for movies, TV use is minimal. No gaming. Don't care about 3D. Not sure 4K matters either.

I got a quote from SIM2. As I said earlier they are located in Florida and I am in California.I'm guessing $700 or there about for shipping. I believe that' what it cost me 2 years ago. At that time we did 3-day Air, they said that is better than bouncing around on a truck.

The Service manager thinks it may be one of two boards (but who knows at this point?). Hopefully not both!

One board costs $1195 and the other costs $1455. Labor is $225.

So I will be paying somewhere around:
700 + 1195 + 225 = $2120 or
700 +1455 + 225 = $2380
This assumes my shipping estimate is about right and that nothing else is wrong.

So I'm debating on fixing it or putting that money toward something else. Of course if I don't fix it, it may be hard to sell.
post #15 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
First of all, my apologies, I am not the OP of this thread, I should have said, resurrecting a 2-year old thread rather than fast forward. I still appreciate all the replies.

Screen is 60" high and 107" wide in 16:9 mode and 60 x144" in 21:9 mode. Screen is SMX acoustically transparent. If I recall correctly, the gain is slightly over 1.
Completely light controlled room with dark blue (near-black) fabric covered walls.
Used primarily for movies, TV use is minimal. No gaming. Don't care about 3D. Not sure 4K matters either.

I got a quote from SIM2. As I said earlier they are located in Florida and I am in California.I'm guessing $700 or there about for shipping. I believe that' what it cost me 2 years ago. At that time we did 3-day Air, they said that is better than bouncing around on a truck.

The Service manager thinks it may be one of two boards (but who knows at this point?). Hopefully not both!

One board costs $1195 and the other costs $1455. Labor is $225.

So I will be paying somewhere around:
700 + 1195 + 225 = $2120 or
700 +1455 + 225 = $2380
This assumes my shipping estimate is about right and that nothing else is wrong.

So I'm debating on fixing it or putting that money toward something else. Of course if I don't fix it, it may be hard to sell.
I'd say the only worthy replacement that's bright enough to fill that screen is the Sony VPL-VW1100ES or a projector in the Sim2 Lumis line. You might be able to get away with a VPL-VW600ES but the screen being AT reduces the gain a bit.

post #16 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 03:52 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post
I remember reading Art's comments on when he demo'ed a Sony VPL-VW1000ES and he concluded the difference in PQ was not large enough to warrant a purchase to replace his HT5000. The viewing experience may be different for the OP so it's definitely worth checking out granted he's willing to spend that kind of dough again on a projector. What he'll likely find is that the 1100ES gives you more on/off contrast performance, but in the other areas like ANSI contrast, brightness, motion, and uniformity (both color and white field) are all better on the HT5000. These are DLP traits that are inherent in any DLP projector with a decent lens and high output bulb/light engine. Based on the fact that you're still enjoying the HT5000 I'm guessing you aren't a black level fanatic like many on the forum are. So in the end you may find yourself more than happy with the HT5000 until a higher performance 4K DLP projector comes out within your budget, especially if you want to keep the traits listed above which no non-DLP projector including the Sony 4K's can compete with, and this may be only a couple years from now.
I will not spend that kind of money again. It was a great deal and I could afford it at the time. I defineilty want to stay south of 10K.

I never felt that I wanted deeper blacks. But then I've haven't demoed other PJs. Motion is a major consideration for me. I hate motion blur. I see that on some pans. Sounds like DLP is the best technology to minimize motion blur. What about PJs with higher refresh rates? Do they minimize eliminate motion blur?

It does make a nice bright picture and I always run the lamp at the lowest setting. A different PJ, even if a bit dimmer, may be acceptable as you get used to it after a little while. Many are rated at 1700 -2400 lumens, isn't that comparable to the HT5000?

I think I may have to bite the bullet and get it fixed. No matter what I do. Unless someone else would want to buy it and get it fixed. Wishful thinking I suppose.
post #17 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
I will not spend that kind of money again. It was a great deal and I could afford it at the time. I defineilty want to stay south of 10K.

I never felt that I wanted deeper blacks. But then I've haven't demoed other PJs. Motion is a major consideration for me. I hate motion blur. I see that on some pans. Sounds like DLP is the best technology to minimize motion blur. What about PJs with higher refresh rates? Do they minimize eliminate motion blur?

It does make a nice bright picture and I always run the lamp at the lowest setting. A different PJ, even if a bit dimmer, may be acceptable as you get used to it after a little while. Many are rated at 1700 -2400 lumens, isn't that comparable to the HT5000?

I think I may have to bite the bullet and get it fixed. No matter what I do. Unless someone else would want to buy it and get it fixed. Wishful thinking I suppose.
I say fix it! You have one the best dlps on the planet. You will miss it in more ways than not. I have an infocus 777 3 chipper but it's 720p, I tried a jvc 4910, Sony 55 and an epson 6030 and they all had strong points mainly black levels but motion was very noticeable most of all for me the dlp image has more depth, everything else in comparison just looks flat. I'm waiting for some of the runco flagship dlps to pop up at an affordable price (runco ls 12) until then I'll just have to suffer
post #18 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 04:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Always read a professional review before you buy one of these projectors. The numbers quoted are normally misleading. Case in point, the Epson 6030 is rated for 2400 lumens but in it's most color accurate mode and after a full calibration to d65 and rec709 you end up with 650 lumens. Can it put out 2000+ lumens? Yes it can, but greyscale is extremely off (high color temp) and color points are way off. I'd say the brightest projector with okay contrast under a $10000 budget is the BenQ W7500. It puts out 1700-1800 calibrated lumens. If you're looking for something cheap to hold you over until 4K DLP projectors start to come in at sub $10000 prices this might be the projector for you. But it will cost roughly the same to fix your HT5000 and it will put out a much nicer image overall compared to the BenQ. If I were you, I'd fix the Sim2. I'd also want some kind of assurance from Sim2 it won't break again.

Alternatively, you could look into a used projector. The only reason I've been able to get some of these 3-chip DLPs here to check out was because I bought them used. If I remember correctly I bought a used Sim2 Lumis HOST for ~$9000, I traded a TruVue Vango for a Digital Projection Highlite Cine 260-HC and bought two Runco LS-10i projectors for around $4500 each. There are some excellent deals out there if you want to upgrade but you need to be patient.

Last edited by Seegs108; 02-25-2015 at 04:47 PM.
post #19 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

If staying south of 10K, then your options are VW350 or fix your projector. The 350 does not have lens memory, so you would have to use the remote to switch back and forth, if using zoom method. The Sony VW350 is only on sale, until end of this month, $7,999 delivered.

RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #20 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 08:01 PM
AVS Club Gold

Glad to hear the HT5000 is still a top notch performer. I will get it fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the advise and education! I really appreciate it!
post #21 of 30 Old 02-25-2015, 08:04 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 84 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Glad to hear the HT5000 is still a top notch performer. I will get it fixed.

Thanks to everyone for the advise and education! I really appreciate it!
I have an HT5000E as well as an Epson LS10000, and I advise you strongly to get your HT5000 repaired.

Bob
post #22 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 05:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 420 Post(s)
Liked: 239
Just to address a couple questions...

Quote:
If you're talking the "120Hz", "240Hz", the answer is a qualified "yes". First it's probably important to realize that your DLP operates at a native refresh rate that is much higher than any "xxxHz" display of any other technology. In reality, what "120Hz" means on a TV, is that it includes Frame Interpolation, it's digital processing that will interpolate new frames between source frames, so it will effectively convert 24fps content (movies) to 120, or 240Hz. This has the effect of reducing blur, but it also fundamentally changes the look of motion, ie it creates the "Soap Opera Effect".

Now most modern projectors have various settings that trade blur reduction for less effect on motion, I can't really speak to that, a lot of folks like Frame Interpolation set to low to clear up blur without doing too much damage. But I think it's really no substitute for native motion handling like DLPs have.

Quote:
Many are rated at 1700 -2400 lumens, isn't that comparable to the HT5000?
Seegs and Mike already said it indirectly, but there are no "home theater" grade projectors* that put out over 1000 Lumens for under $10k other than the Sony VW350, and the Epson LS10000. Everything else that claims ridiculous brightness can only do that in uncalibrated, non-useful modes.

*There are a number of DLPs that can pump out over 1000 Lumens, and they are "Home Theater" machines but they're not remotely in the same league as your HT5000. DLP technology has been "stable" (some would say stagnant) for the past 5 plus years. My Planar 8150 is a seven year old design, and it's still a top class machine, at least within DLP space, only bested by machines like your HT5000.

Quote:
One way to look at it, $3k is a bargain for a working HT5000, you can't buy anything new with near the performance of that for anywhere near that price.
Citation4444 and Elix like this.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #23 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 05:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
If staying south of 10K, then your options are VW350 or fix your projector.
I realize you don't handle it, but the Epson LS10000 is also an option. It does have lens memory and is south of $10K. But, his best option IMO is to get his HT5000 repaired.
post #24 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 07:13 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citation4444 View Post
I realize you don't handle it, but the Epson LS10000 is also an option. It does have lens memory and is south of $10K. But, his best option IMO is to get his HT5000 repaired.
I did not list it because of his screen size and gain. Granted the 10000 does not lose brightness very quickly, but I don't like the starting point of 14.5FL (using 1,200 lumens, no DCI filter in place and 0.98 gain). After a couple thousand hours, I think he will be down to less than 14FL. If trying to use the DCI filter, he will be starting off very dim (below 12FL), so I think that is out right off the bat. I also don't think that 17,000 hours is reasonable to use to calculate dimming. For years, we have discounted manufacturer's specs for lumens, contrast and lamp dimming. Why would we all of a sudden think this would be any different? I used 10,000 hours for my calculations. Granted, I do try to stay on the conservative side.

The VW350 is not going to give him long lamp life on his size screen, but at least it can be replaced and bring him back up to full brightness of 17FL. Now if his screen was a little smaller or had more gain, then I would think the 10000 would be a viable option. Obviously a 3-chip DLP with more brightness would be a better option, but none of those exist (new) for under $10,000. So that left the VW350 as the only projector that I saw that was capable of even attempting to do the job (below 10K budget) and even it is not a great choice for him.

Last edited by AV Science Sales 5; 02-26-2015 at 07:20 AM.
post #25 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 07:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I did not list it because of his screen size and gain. Granted the 10000 does not lose brightness very quickly, but I don't like the starting point of 14.5FL (using 1,200 lumens, no DCI filter in place and 0.98 gain). After a couple thousand hours, I think he will be down to less than 14FL. If trying to use the DCI filter, he will be starting off very dim (below 12FL), so I think that is out right off the bat. I also don't think that 17,000 hours is reasonable to use to calculate dimming. For years, we have discounted manufacturer's specs for lumens, contrast and lamp dimming. Why would we all of a sudden think this would be any different? I used 10,000 hours for my calculations. Granted, I do try to stay on the conservative side.

The VW350 is not going to give him long lamp life on his size screen, but at least it can be replaced and bring him back up to full brightness of 17FL. Now if his screen was a little smaller or had more gain, then I would think the 10000 would be a viable option. Obviously a 3-chip DLP with more brightness would be a better option, but none of those exist (new) for under $10,000. So that left the VW350 as the only projector that I saw that was capable of even attempting to do the job (below 10K budget) and even it is not a great choice for him.
I think you need to re-do your calculations. You must have been using 144" width, but the width in 1.78 aspect is 107". 1200 lumens on his screen (60x107) will give in excess of 26 fL for 1.0 gain screen. I think a more likely calibrated lumens is 1000 lumens, but this would still give him 22 fL. I think the LS10000 is an option for his screen, but I'd still recommend repairing his HT5000.
post #26 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
I think you need to re-do your calculations. You must have been using 144" width, but the width in 1.78 aspect is 107". 1200 lumens on his screen (60x107) will give in excess of 26 fL for 1.0 gain screen. I think a more likely calibrated lumens is 1000 lumens, but this would still give him 22 fL. I think the LS10000 is an option for his screen, but I'd still recommend repairing his HT5000.
I was using lens memory. Forgot that he has an A-lens. Based on this, the 10000 is an option. We both agree on him using his existing projector.

post #27 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 07:54 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I was using lens memory. Forgot that he has an A-lens. Based on this, the 10000 is an option. We both agree on him using his existing projector.
Lens memory? The LS10000 has lens memory.
post #28 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 662 Post(s)
Liked: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger89 View Post
Just to address a couple questions...

If you're talking the "120Hz", "240Hz", the answer is a qualified "yes". First it's probably important to realize that your DLP operates at a native refresh rate that is much higher than any "xxxHz" display of any other technology. In reality, what "120Hz" means on a TV, is that it includes Frame Interpolation, it's digital processing that will interpolate new frames between source frames, so it will effectively convert 24fps content (movies) to 120, or 240Hz. This has the effect of reducing blur, but it also fundamentally changes the look of motion, ie it creates the "Soap Opera Effect".

Now most modern projectors have various settings that trade blur reduction for less effect on motion, I can't really speak to that, a lot of folks like Frame Interpolation set to low to clear up blur without doing too much damage. But I think it's really no substitute for native motion handling like DLPs have.

While I do think motion handling is better on DLP ( and I've been using DLP projectors for about 13 years now ), I've been very pleased with the motion on the Sony VW600 in the " True Cinema " setting. It looks so close to my Lumis motion wise, I can switch back and forth between projectors. They look very similar in this regard.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Call me on my direct line - 585-671-2972, 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday
Email me at craig@avscience.com http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SIM2, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, and many more!
post #29 of 30 Old 02-26-2015, 09:34 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Lens memory? The LS10000 has lens memory.
Was not talking about lens memory for filling the screen. My brightness calculations were based on using lens memory. When using lens memory, you have to use the 2.35 screen width (144")to calculate the 16:9 area (81SF).

post #30 of 30 Old Today, 08:18 AM

Liked: 1
Dude trust me, keep what you have. The Sim has things that have seem to have been given up on by some projector manufacturers. It seems that gone are the days when we looked at things like ansi contrast and pristine optics, in favor of black levels. Don't get me wrong, these are important as well but I think that high end dlp machines do things that some of these new technologies are missing. I know what I am talking about as a current dlp9 Marantz 15S1) and Jvc ( X700R) owner
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector , Sim2 , Jvc Dla X95r
Gear in this thread