Help me choose - JVC RS46 vs Panasonic AE-8000 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 01-04-2013, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Greetings from yet another noob! Please forgive my stupid questions, I'm making my first foray into front projection and negotiating this steep learning curve as quickly as I can. After lurking in these forums and reading Zombie10k's shootout thread and many others until my head is ready to explode, I've pretty much narrowed my projector search down to the Panny AE-8000 and the JVC RS46. I have a friend who has offered to sell me his just-out-of-the-box RS46 for about the same amount as a new Panny, so assume no price difference. I'm hoping you all can help me make a decision based on what I describe below.

I am finishing my basement and installing a semi-dedicated home theater. This will be used 50% for watching sports and other HDTV, 40% for movies, and maybe 10% for gaming. Because it's a basement, I will have complete control over ambient lighting. However, assume that there will be a low level of ambient light from can lights and wall sconces during sports viewing. Because the room is multi-purpose, I can't really turn it into a bat cave. Walls are a medium to dark tan color, white ceiling, gray carpet.

The projector will be ceiling mounted. My throw distance is 14'. 110" screen size. My layout requires that the front speakers be behind the screen, so I'm planning on using a Seymour Center Stage AT screen (though I am open to other AT screen recommendations).

What's important to me, in order of priority:

1. Sharp picture and smooth motion during sports viewing
2. Brightness, especially considering that my room will probably not be completely dark most of the time
3. 2D picture quality and black performance for movies
4. I don't care about 3D too much

I'm sort of leaning JVC based on their better warranty, but I am concerned about brightness and smooth motion. So. Thoughts? Other recommendations beyond these two? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-04-2013, 04:24 PM

Liked: 12
Hi , it's great you decided what your priorities are.
The JVC is the better projector for movies you got that right, but I don't think it should be your first choice if 2d movie quality is your 3rd choice.
You say that smooth and bright sports is your priority. and that with some ambient lighting.
In your case the Panasonic would make much more sense.

I have personally decided that I can no longer deprive myself of the best 2D move projector which is the JVC (available in multiple $ levels).
To get the best bang of your buck though you really need to darken the theater walls and ceiling. I'd say give this another serious thought. You can always install more lights or brighter bulbs :-).
My theater is 50% finished and it will be darker than dark :-)
At the current state we are in, a 2 projector setup must be considered if one has multiple priorities.
Zed
post #3 of 25 Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM - Thread Starter

^^^

Thank you for that, kind of reinforces what I've been thinking about the Panny. I've been swayed by the opportunity to get what seems like a smoking deal on the JVC, but a "better" projector is not really better if it's not better for my situation. If that makes any sense.

Any other opinions?
post #4 of 25 Old 01-05-2013, 03:03 PM

Liked: 13
If for same $, no question, jvc 46

EluneVision 106" Reference Studio 4K Tab-tensioned - 1.0 Gain, Benq 1070, psb T6, Rotel, OPPO, Velodine (Now),
135" AT screen, JVC-X35, 3x RF82, 3x Emotiva XPA100, Velodine, Rotel, OPPO (Sold with house).
post #5 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 04:48 AM

Thanks for your post. I'm also looking for the same type of opinions and considering the same type of options. The only difference is that I'm going to try to light up a bigger screen with 1.0 gain. Perhaps 140" wide 2.35 or 120" wide 1.78. My viewing habits and priorities are very similar to yours. It will be a big upgrade from my old Panasonic 720p projector.

Diamante Build in DC - Double Drywall, Green Glue, Drywall Furring Channel, Riser, Stage, Bass Trap, In-Wall Speakers, BG Radia, JTR Captivators, Seymour AV, Sony HW-50ES, Sherbourn, Panasonic, Middle Atlantic, Lutron Grafik Eye, Baffle Wall

post #6 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 06:44 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourtoys7 View Post

If for same $, no question, jvc 46

Is that still true given my concerns about brightness and ambient light in my original post? I understand that the JVC is a "better" projector which would typically be at a higher price point, and I'd pull the trigger on it in a second except for the concern about brightness. My understanding is that the Panasonic is noticeably brighter and therefore might be a better option for multipurpose viewing in a not-completely-dark room, whereas the JVC is better suited for movie viewing in a bat cave. Am I correct in that understanding?
post #7 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Using a screen of that diameter and throw distance. Brightness won't be an issue for the JVC. I'm running roughly 110' from 8.5 ft away and the image is blinding. That's with nearly 300 hrs on the lamp and the aperture cranked to -15 . On the right size screen these projectors are more than bright enough for what you plan to do.
post #8 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 12:01 PM

Liked: 10
I just recently picked up the JVC and there is no doubt that it is amazing for 2d movie watching in a bat cave. I also believe it would likely be bright enough for a 110" screen on high lamp mode with ambient light (my screen is roughly 150").

That said, getting a projector with a dynamic mode might be safer, and further I came from an epson LCD which does 1 thing better than the JVC in my opinion and that is motion. I have never seen the panny so I can't comment, but given your needs in the order you listed them I would personally recommend the epson 5020 or the panny, based on my personal experiences. None of that is to say that you would regret the JVC though. I watched a few NFL playoff games on the rs46 the other day at it was still very solid, but only a bit more visibly smeary during fast action.
post #9 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 12:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
If the JVC blacks aren't the top priority, why not other options than Panasonic, like Epson etc.?

Noah
post #10 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 12:53 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by allupons View Post

I just recently picked up the JVC and there is no doubt that it is amazing for 2d movie watching in a bat cave. I also believe it would likely be bright enough for a 110" screen on high lamp mode with ambient light (my screen is roughly 150").
That said, getting a projector with a dynamic mode might be safer, and further I came from an epson LCD which does 1 thing better than the JVC in my opinion and that is motion. I have never seen the panny so I can't comment, but given your needs in the order you listed them I would personally recommend the epson 5020 or the panny, based on my personal experiences. None of that is to say that you would regret the JVC though. I watched a few NFL playoff games on the rs46 the other day at it was still very solid, but only a bit more visibly smeary during fast action.

A JVC RS46 shooting onto a 1.0 gain 110" screen should be able to give you 24 (long throw) to 30 (short throw) Foot lamberts, depending on throw distance. That is a pretty bright image. While the panny can go brighter it is not near as bright in best image mode as the JVC. The JVC is 1.5 times brighter in best image mode.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #11 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

A JVC RS46 shooting onto a 1.0 gain 110" screen should be able to give you 24 (long throw) to 30 (short throw) Foot lamberts, depending on throw distance. That is a pretty bright image. While the panny can go brighter it is not near as bright in best image mode as the JVC. The JVC is 1.5 times brighter in best image mode.

Certainly in a "best" mode the JVC should be substantially brighter, but I was sort of under the impression he wanted a fairly lit room for casual sports watching in a group or something along those lines where a dynamic mode might be more acceptable. Either way, if critical movie watching becomes closer to the top priority there is no doubt the JVC will win that contest hands down.
post #12 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 02:13 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by allupons View Post

Certainly in a "best" mode the JVC should be substantially brighter, but I was sort of under the impression he wanted a fairly lit room for casual sports watching in a group or something along those lines where a dynamic mode might be more acceptable. Either way, if critical movie watching becomes closer to the top priority there is no doubt the JVC will win that contest hands down.

24 to 30 Foot Lamberts will do pretty good even in a room with a fair amount of ambient light. You could easily put enough light at the seating area, that you would be able to read a book and still have a nice image.

Added
Granted the Panny can go brighter, but you have to go to the higher output less color accurate modes to do so.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #13 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 02:29 PM

Mike is right as usual, You will not have issues with brightness with the JVC.
My only concern would be in your case is motion while watching sports as you stated that was your priority. The panny will be better in that aspect.
I wouldn't worry about sharpness either.
I'd personally take the JVC but motion in sports is not my #1 priority. 2D movie in a bat cave is.
Zed
post #14 of 25 Old 01-07-2013, 03:27 PM
AVS Club Gold

Another projector that i would add to the mix is the Sony HW50ES.

post #15 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Pat Healy - So what did you decide? Panasonic 8000 or JVC RS 46.
post #16 of 25 Old 02-06-2013, 10:31 AM
AVS Club Gold

At the same price, I know what I would pick, since both projectors are bright enough to light up his screen, though the RS46 would be able to do so in best image mode. JVC

post #17 of 25 Old 02-07-2013, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuggymba View Post

Pat Healy - So what did you decide? Panasonic 8000 or JVC RS 46.

Decided on the RS-46! It just seemed to have more advantages overall. Should be here within the next week or so, I'll post my thoughts once I hook it up. Thanks all for the input!
post #18 of 25 Old 02-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Dont forget to post some pics.
post #19 of 25 Old 02-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Healey View Post

Decided on the RS-46! It just seemed to have more advantages overall. Should be here within the next week or so, I'll post my thoughts once I hook it up. Thanks all for the input!

Hey Pat Healy - It's been a week; where are the pics biggrin.gif
Mr47 likes this.
post #20 of 25 Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Sorry for the delay....there were some complications with getting the RS46 here, but it arrived today!!! Super excited. Posted some unboxing pics below.

My first impressions are 1. it's a nice piece of hardware, and 2. it's a beast! Big and heavy. I took a pic of it next to a 16 oz Aquafina bottle for a size reference. Not a problem, I'm doing a ceiling mount and there's plenty of room up there, just need to make sure my mount is beefy enough.

I don't have my screen yet, so I'm going to hook it up tonight and project on a wall just to get a basic idea what it looks like. Can't wait!

post #21 of 25 Old 03-12-2013, 05:45 PM

What problems getting it if you don't mind me asking? Was it back ordered? I have tried to get both the X55 and the X75 and both have been back ordered with no idea when they are to come in stock. Sucks really bad....

post #22 of 25 Old 03-12-2013, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtletrax View Post

What problems getting it if you don't mind me asking? Was it back ordered? I have tried to get both the X55 and the X75 and both have been back ordered with no idea when they are to come in stock. Sucks really bad....

Short version: yes, it was backordered.

Slightly longer version: the original plan was for a friend to sell me his just-out-of-the-box RS46. He decided to keep his, but helped me order this one. But it took three weeks because of the backorder issue.
turtletrax likes this.
post #23 of 25 Old 03-12-2013, 06:17 PM

Thanks for the info, it was what I suspected. I hope the X75 comes into stock quicker than 3 weeks. My JVC that croaked did so in December and have been without since. Sucks having all my gear sit there and stare at me.

Gratz on getting your stuff. Should be good times!

post #24 of 25 Old 10-02-2013, 03:54 AM

I put a pana ae 8000 into an awesome cinema nice hd projector on 150 screen
post #25 of 25 Old 10-02-2013, 03:55 AM

Fixed the nlnd since