Just acquired a Christie...What should I know about it? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 08:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK so I just bought a Christie DS+25 Projector used on eBay with a new lamp in it.

Manufacturer info page here:
http://www.christiedigital.com/en-us/product-support/discontinued-products/Pages/christie-DS25-digital-projector.aspx

I am a total novice to pro video... but have been in the pro entertainment sound/lighting business for a while. I am familiar with Christie basically just from seeing them in high-end commercial/professional installations alongside the work I do. Seen them in prestigious art museums and spec'd from entertainers for performances and such.

What can you guys tell me about this projector? What are its limitations? Is this thing any good? What will it do best and what are its drawbacks?

I plan to use it for different things - all of them pretty short-throw - some time in my house for TV, and some time with my pro sound/light rig for visualizations and client presentations at events in a wide variety of venues from hotel banquet halls to community centers, possibly outdoors.

Any info and opinion would be appreciated! thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-05-2013, 11:54 PM

Liked: 16
Welcome to the forums!

What can we tell you? First, it's old. Second, it's a business projector, not a theater projector. Christie may be a famous brand for cinema and large-scale presentations, but that doesn't mean all their stuff is by-and-large the best quality.

If it has a new bulb it's likely quite bright. I'd tweak the color settings to make sure it shoots out a relatively balanced image and then use it for, like you said, business stuff. I think it will do all those things you mention, but probably not very well or any better than current low end business projectors. I'm not saying it's a bad projector, but I'd be skeptical to use it at client events if they're expecting a really great image.

Strengths: brightness, optical quality (assuming it follows Christie's reputation), size (compact is good for portability)
Weaknesses: old tech, no warranty, size (prohibits lots of fancy processing to go on), maintenance (DLP's are higher maintenance than LCD's), resolution (not even 1080p), connectivity (no HDMI), black level, brightness (won't be bright enough for large-venue screens with ambient light, certainly not outdoors)

post #3 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosteh View Post

Welcome to the forums!
First, it's old.
Second, it's a business projector, not a theater projector.

I think it will do all those things you mention, but probably not very well or any better than current low end business projectors. I'm not saying it's a bad projector, but I'd be skeptical to use it at client events if they're expecting a really great image.

Strengths: brightness, optical quality (assuming it follows Christie's reputation), size (compact is good for portability)
Weaknesses: old tech, no warranty, size (prohibits lots of fancy processing to go on), maintenance (DLP's are higher maintenance than LCD's), resolution (not even 1080p), connectivity (no HDMI), black level, brightness (won't be bright enough for large-venue screens with ambient light, certainly not outdoors)

Thank you very much for your analysis! Just trying to get some background and info on it along with its capabilities - you did just that.

I don't think this projector will be used for any real theatre uses - so thats fine with me.

I looked at some lower end business projectors for around the same price - could have gotten some more impressive performance by going new I suppose but I was OK with taking more of a risk to get something not so run-of-the-mill. A lot of the units I saw in the price range had plastic housing vs. the aluminum on this one.

In terms of impressing customers - I will use it for that to some degree - but nothing too crazy - slide shows at a wedding or a music "visualizer" background for a DJ. Most of my clients wouldn't hire me for the video aspect of my small company anyway - more of a "and we can also video" as a side note kinda thing if someone needs it. If I need high-end I would rent.

When you say "DLP being higher maintenance than LCD" does that mean I will have to do some kind of regular service on the unit?
post #4 of 4 Old 01-06-2013, 10:01 AM

Liked: 16
Ok. As long as you're fine with that and know its limitations compared to some newer stuff, you'll be good to go.

As far as maintenance, DLP's have more moving parts. They have a color wheel which can occasionally break, as well as having much higher wattage lamps than the LCD and LCOS models. Since DLP's are sharper, you'll also need to to some routine lens cleanings to keep that advantage. Other than that I don't see why it would be any more work than any other projector.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page