JVC RS66 Auto Calibration - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 02:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Although the RS66 looks great out of the box and would be just fine until a full calibration I thought since I have a Spyder4 laying around I would try JVC’s auto calibration. I will post screen shots below. Please bare in mind I took these with my phone in total darkness of the theater while the auto calibration was going through its steps. I did not screen cap it as the first time I ran the program and tried the screen cap it lock up the program.

For the first few day’s I just watched and enjoyed the projector on THX mode. To me it was great. I know others find it to processed but I just came from a DLP Optoma HD8200 so I like the digital look and the THX setting.

My setup is a Stewart 2.35.1 138” Ultra Matte 150 (1.5 gain) with a throw of 17’. I used the auto cal. for 16.9 setting (User 3), 2.35.1 (User 2), and 3D Setting (User 4).

I calibrated the User 2, and User 3 setting with the exact same setting except for Brightness, Contrast, and Iris. It shows 27hr on the projector.

User 2 (Setup for 2.35.1)
Color Profile Standard
Color Temp. 6500K
Gamma Normal
Dark Level White 1
Bright Level White 3
Tone White -1
Contrast 7
Brightness 3
MPC - Film - Enhance 20, Dynamic Contrast 0, Smoothing 0
Iris -11
Lamp Power Low

User 3 (Setup for 16.9)
Color Profile Standard
Color Temp. 6500K
Gamma Normal
Dark Level White 1
Bright Level White 3
Tone White -1
Contrast 5
Brightness 3
Iris -10
Lamp Power High

User 4 (Setup for 3D)
Color Profile 3D Cinema
Color Temp. 7500K
Gamma G
Dark Level White
Bright Level White
Tone White 0
Contrast 9
Brightness 0
Iris -4
Lamp Power High

The setup was fast and worked with out any problem. For the most part it was totally automated and walked you through the rest. For a cheap meter and calibration software that you can’t tweak I was still pretty impressed. It does a 33 step calibration and takes about 11 min. from start to finish. It will be interesting when I get a full calibration on it next month. I will redo the JVC auto cal. just before a real calibration and compare the result. I will post back here when I get that done.

It does run a log before and after calibration but I have not been able to find what it does with the information to compare it. It most definitely improved colors and I pick up a little brightness after calibration.

In short I am very happy I ran software with Spyder. It is with out a doubt better than any factory settings. The biggest improvement was on 3D... again I gained few lumens (I will have to check my notes for the correct amount) and color is VERY much improved.

I am not saying run out and buy a Spyder. For just a little more money you can pay for a full calibration, but if you can find one super cheap or know of someone that has one I think it will get you very close.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-06-2013, 04:44 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Thanks for the info! Since I have a i1pro which I profile my C-6 to and use Calman 5 software will wait until the X95/RS66 and X75/RS56 JVC projectors get added to the autocal feature in Calman. I have only 18 hrs on my projector and hope it is done by the time I hit the 100 hr mark. smile.gif

Rick
post #3 of 3 Old 01-10-2013, 10:54 AM

Liked: 27
Hi guys

I've the rs65 but haven't done auto cal yet. Will it be just like this or has it been modified for this new release?
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs66

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page