BenQ W7000+ Noise and Font Sharpness - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 595 Post(s)
Liked: 310
I wasn't talking about RC on the 1000ES, I'm talking about it on the HW50ES. I believe they use RC on HW50ES to mask it's sup-par lens. That's my opinion, whether or not that's reality is something only the Sony development team could tell you and they would never admit that being truth. Like Mark said, it's mostly plastic with maybe 1 piece of ED glass to reduce CA. My post was very accurate. It revealed a truth you had no idea about. Obviously you " don´t care what the lens is made of" even though you've been calling up several Sony institutions to prove me wrong only to find out there was validity to what I said. I'm not saying the HW50ES is a bad product. You are hanging onto something I said in passing to prove a completely different point days ago. That point was that quality glass costs money and sometimes to meet a certain price point companies need to compromise. My post wasn't to insult anyone who owned the Sony. I would gladly take the HW50ES over a JVC any day of the week and that's saying a lot considering there are some massive JVC fanboys on here. Please stop saying my post was inaccurate because it was more accurate then what you assumption was.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Ok, relax and take a deep breath. I did not mean to affend you, but your post was inaccurate. And I only sendt two emails to check if it was true because I did not know that it was made of plastic and I was curious. And I know you was not talking about RC on the VW1000 but I stated it as an example on how a great lens and RC works great. The RC on the HW50 also works even if it has a plastic/glass lens, but of corse it would have been better with an all glass lens.

And fanboys is just funny I think, I don´t care about the name on the projector I only care about what is reflected of the screen and these days Sony products works great.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #33 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

How were my posts inaccurate? I said the lens is made with plastic and it is.
post #34 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 02:21 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 94
And I said it was made of glass, was I right? No, I was not because it is made of plastic and glass.

Regards
Andreas

My Homecinema

post #35 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

To the OP: How much vertical lens shift are you using? Just for a test, try and make an image with the lens shift at the middle most position; the "sweet spot" on the lens. Sometimes with vertical lens shift if you move far enough from the sweet spot light can hit parts of the lens and give pretty adverse effects on image sharpness.
post #36 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a W7000 manufactured last month. This one has been sent as a replacement for my original defective unit here is a breif list of issues I have seen with this unit.

1 ) at proper altitude, frame interpolation and dynamic black disabled, BOTH units (the second one seems to have stopped for the time being) would seem to loose vsync slightly and fuzzy on component/composite and s video for 2 seconds every 5 or so. Really hard to take a video of it but very disruptive and almost garbage in my opinion if it weren't gone for the time being.
2) solid red lamp led at 6 hours of lamp use and every hour after... Only removing the power cable and power cycling would let me back in. (tried reseating the lamp and cleaning contacts) didn't help
3) red flashing lamp light come and go...
4) NORMAL high pitched sounds... I can actually tolerate it so it should be an "issue" really

5) MAJOR PROBLEM because of wilful negligence 1 year after 1.03 (they keep calling it 1.3 at Benq support so im not totally sure what is true.) the unit still appear to come with 1.0 with recent manufacturing dates kind of a cash grab from the service division if you ask me. How come this isn't end user serviceable from USB / RS232 : I hate the idea of paying money, risking it to the mail and being without it while someone else rips it apart. Honestly though who likes risking the unit to the postal service.

UPDATE !!! : So apparently this is a Canadian W7000+ though I think it might be a way of getting me to drop the topic as there is no evidence on the box, service slip, internal status menu or the bottom of the unit.

Could someone take a picture of the W7000+ box where it says the '+' so I can show the senior level techs that I got the wrong one again. ...

Sincerely, I would be very appreciative of that simple task as I have no way to prove it.
post #37 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

You need 1.03 firmware, otherwise pixel mapping issue losing that Benq sharpness smile.gif

Is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it to a service centre? If it's something I can do myself, are there instructions somewhere?
post #38 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

** DELETE **
post #39 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 09:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eijoku View Post

Is this something I can do myself or do I need to take it to a service centre? If it's something I can do myself, are there instructions somewhere?

You're going to need to send it to BenQ for the update. You can send them an email on their website to get the ball rolling.
Eijoku likes this.
post #40 of 49 Old 01-08-2013, 10:14 PM

As I pointed out earlier, BenQ claims that anything manufactured any time in the last couple months labelled "W7000" is actually a completely unlabelled "W7000+" This is why the new releases are with a 1.0 Firmware.

Although I'm still skeptical.

Can anyone show us a photo with a W7000+ label? This would prove my case...

Thanks
post #41 of 49 Old 01-09-2013, 12:55 AM - Thread Starter

I had a quick look at the projector and can't see any labelling. It is ceiling mounted atm though so can't confirm the bottom of the projector. Checking through the menu I couldn't see the model anywhere obvious here.

However on the box it came in are these stickers:

HTH
futiless likes this.
post #42 of 49 Old 01-09-2013, 03:19 AM

I would be a lot to ask to get you to check the bottom but it has me curious.... I wonder if the issues pertain to heat actually.. hence why Benq is only distributing the W7000+ in much warmer climates... someone has to take all these DOA's..

I have been looking around I am not sure if the issues I am having are related to the IRIS issue: Mine goes fuzzy like clockwork 2 seconds in every ten ... only noted so far in composite though... But I have had 2 units do this to me now... so I figure I can't be alone .. but then again how many people buy this type of projector and use composite... I know but since I am only building my home theater and have no screen ... I am busy screwing around trying to get a good projector and the last one acted up this way.. I figure it's a good stress test....

For the record took the second one out of the box fired it up no settings adjustments at all same thing ... I thought perhaps the issue was composite sync but it seems to have little affect.. I have disabled everything I see to try and get it to behave normally..

It's also very hard to take a good video of but I will try..
post #43 of 49 Old 01-10-2013, 12:13 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by futiless View Post

I would be a lot to ask to get you to check the bottom but it has me curious....

Here you go... smile.gif

futiless likes this.
post #44 of 49 Old 01-10-2013, 03:11 PM

Wow thank you for your efforts ... oddly enough the Benq Tech I have been dealing with sent me a screen shot of his order screen it would seem that here in Canada they have launched the W7000+ quietly with the W7000 label... He swears up and down that the 2 units here are a W7000 with firmware version 1.0 the 2nd a W7000+ (with firmware 1.0 newest for the '+') labeled 100% as a W7000. So after claiming how disappointed I am he is sending a 3rd ~!~ this time a W7000 with firmware 1.03 so I can decide for myself.

Needless to say I need other people opinions to really grasp what are the differences..

Sincerely
post #45 of 49 Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
As somebody interested in purchasing a Benq W7000 can anybody tell me what the W7000+ (Plus) is, what are the differences if any?
post #46 of 49 Old 03-27-2013, 02:50 PM

I have been fighting for months to get clarification on Benq's product line ... it is nothing short of a giant circus over there at Benq. The right hand has no idea the left exists as in the people who know are non english speaking individuals that are from somewhere in Asia (forget where). I have been dealing with Benq Canada/USA and have worked my way up the ladder to the very top. Even at this level there is only mere speculation and many people at Benq have told me that they must contact their development team to get an answer !~!~! ...... So far I have been able to isolate the following different versions and supposedly what they mean.

1) Benq W7000 (firmware 1.0) (FIRST RELEASE)
2) Benq W7000 (firmware 1.01) (unknown fix **WARNING the W7000 cannot be end user firmware updated, despite the neat usb port and RS 232) (they practically do nothing)
this means shipping your new unit immediately out to get a firmware update.
3) Benq W7000 (firmware 1.03) (highest firmware number I know of said to fix scaling issues with HDMI at some of the high resolutions and the IRIS issue (perhaps the same))
--- heres where is gets really weird
4) Benq W7000+ (who the hell knows what this is, apparently not a North America release but I am told from the best Benq rep. I could find (national sales) that this is basically a 1.03 firmware unit put back to 1.00 and a '+' slapped everywhere !?!?! really... I can't be sure...) normally a '+' indicates an addition in features not sure what to make of this one.

AND LAST BUT NOT LEASE THE WEIRDEST OF ALL

5) Benq W7000 (recent after november 2012 lot in North America) a 1.00 firmware release that is apparently a unlabeled +... SO a 1.03 = a W7000+ ... = a W7000 !?!?!

I know it makes no sense but if I call and get a random person at Benq and read a 1.00 serial from last sept in his system he sees a W7000 and the new serial of my latest he reads a w7000'+' without the '+'... One thing is for sure you don't want the original as the W7000 unit has a very low lamp life, warranty and I can confirm that they have had some super glitchy releases. I have tested 3 from Benq, they service is amazing but honestly something is up over there.

I have my suspicions that there is a slight embarrassment on Benq's part and they are trying to hide the fact there has been multiple releases for some reason and I think it is related to environmental conditions the unit is operated in this unit also draws more power than others of it's class, interesting because as the draw increases so do fluctuations of power in %. So my point being that this is fragile unit and should be given a clean source of power (not on the same line as other major power draw appliances etc. (even something about that in the handling instructions) I am sure most of the public just glosses over with this stuff. And 2 heat issues, make sure to use a relatively cool environment or heat your room with the projector than and ambient room temp so you keep the operating temp as low as possible and always consider your elevation during use as like I said biggest drawback is life expectancy.

BUT then again you show me a projector at that price point that is even close to comparable can't be done.

If you are a like me and want all the latest features at the best value you have found the best projector but don't loose sight of my warnings.
post #47 of 49 Old 03-27-2013, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I might venture to take a guess that they released the '+' version to boost sales. After the scaling issue people were freaking out to make sure that their unit had the latest firmware so they could get 1:1 pixel mapping. I'm sure there was a huge lull in sales. My guess is they released it with the '+' moniker to make sure people were comfortable buying one and that there wasn't a chance a unit that was purchased had the old firmware on it.
post #48 of 49 Old 06-22-2013, 12:14 PM

BenQ w7000 # BenQ W7000+ ?

HDDC.VN - Perfect Solution for your house!
- Audio & Video System Design
- Home Theater
- Smart Home
post #49 of 49 Old 08-24-2013, 05:07 AM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I must admit, I like the image created by DLP and I have read this thread with great interest because it is informative and provides some real world experiences. I have read a few posts in the past where users of the classic InFocus projectors complained about overall image sharpness when they upgraded to other brands. I remember the classic InFocus IN83 was deemed a benchmark DLP projector for the kind of image it produced so I guess they had a good chip to lens balance. However, I have been interested in the BenQ W7000 and the 1080ST not to mention the new W1500. Furthermore, I have also been looking into Optoma projectors, especially the HD25e and the HD83 which are interesting. The HD25e seems like a very interesting projector, however, I have been a bit concerned as one review mentions that it has a bit more noise than the BenQ 1080ST. I suppose the same applies to the Optoma HD83 when compared to the BenQ W7000+. I wonder whether there is someone here that has experienced both Optoma and BenQ projectors ? One thing I do like about the BenQ 7000+ apart from the less noise is that it has a full-blown CMS which is great, I believe the Optoma HD83 has the same ability but it is not as bright as the W7000+.

Has anyone here done a comparison or demoed both the Optoma and BenQ range ?

There is no doubt about the fact that projectors like the SIM2 Nero 3D-2 and the Lumis are excellent but then there is the price factor.

Last but not least, has anyone teamed up a Darblet with the W7000 or for that matter the HD25e or HD83 ? - would be interesting to hear end user experiences.

Cheers,

Sam
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page