What should I buy...Benq w7000, JVC rs45, Epson 5010...other? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone - been reading through the posts and it's still hard to determine which projector I should purchase. I moved into a new place which had a Benq w5000 (ceiling mounted) w a screen that I'm guessing is about 110". I have good light control, but I will watch during the daytime and some light will get into the room. The w5000 broke this week and rather than spend the funding $ to repair it i figured it's a good excuse to upgrade. I'm will use it mainly for 2d movies, sports and tv. Though at some point I imagine I'll start watch more 3d.

Also, is it foolish to buy this week when all of the new gear is being announced? I expect prices will drop soon after CES.

Thanks for the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 11:03 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 533
What a great first post. Thanks for making it.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #3 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 392 Post(s)
Liked: 266
It all depends on when you want to get that replacement. Unless the price cut is announced at CES, you probably aren't going to see prices fall until these new products become available, which may not be for a few months. Nothing revolutionary is expected to be announced this CES so it's a safe bet if you purchase now you won't be missing out on anything big. But if you want to snag a deal you can wait to see if prices fall. Which projector(s) did you have in mind?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Your question is the main advice I'm seeking...for my use case and room situation, which of these three is best? Thx!
post #5 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Post a few more details about your room and screen (if you are keeping it)... ceiling height, how far is the seating, how widespread is the seating, what are the options for mounting the projector (ceiling, shelf, tabletop), would you prefer to keep the PJ ceiling mounted?. Also, what did you like and what did you not like about the w5000?

"A wide screen just makes a bad film twice as bad. "
-Samuel Goldwyn

I wonder what he'd think about 3D IMAX?
post #6 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

This is a tricky question to answer. The reason being is that each of the projectors you've listed uses a different projection technology. The BenQ W7000 is DLP based, the JVC RS45 is LCOS based, and the Epson 5010 is LCD based. Unless you love DLP technology, in this situation, I'd recommend the JVC RS45. It will give you the best image quality out of the three. 3D won't be the best but unless you plan on doing a LOT of 3D viewing I don't think it's mediocre 3D performance should come into play when making your choice.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 01:40 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 458 Post(s)
Liked: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_a View Post

Hi everyone - been reading through the posts and it's still hard to determine which projector I should purchase. I moved into a new place which had a Benq w5000 (ceiling mounted) w a screen that I'm guessing is about 110". I have good light control, but I will watch during the daytime and some light will get into the room. The w5000 broke this week and rather than spend the funding $ to repair it i figured it's a good excuse to upgrade. I'm will use it mainly for 2d movies, sports and tv. Though at some point I imagine I'll start watch more 3d.
Also, is it foolish to buy this week when all of the new gear is being announced? I expect prices will drop soon after CES.
Thanks for the help!

Actually most all of the new projectors are announced at CEDIA in the fall. If you would like to discuss the pros and cons for the various technologies, give us a call.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Marantz & Yamaha .
post #8 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 147
For a one-projector solution, if any interest in 3D at all, I'd buy the Sony hw50es over all the others. Some users have commented it looks a bit sharper than an RS-46 after turning on RC (whether or not you'd like the RC look is hard to say, most do). However, given the fact the Sony is brighter in both 3d and 2d, has much much less ghosting, has almost as good of blacks these days, man there is no way I'd buy the RS-46 over the Sony if it were priced the same, maybe given a large price difference. I might buy the RS-48 over a Sony, I finally saw e-shift, but hard to judge without me spending time in my own room.

Quite frankly, given the brightness of the RS-48/4810 and the lack of extra sharpening of the RS-46 (no e-shift 2 or MPC), then shoot, I'm going with the Sony even if the lens isn't as good. The Sony also had more accurate color vs. the RS-45, not sure about RS-46/48/4810/56/66 though..

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 16 Old 01-07-2013, 07:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

not sure about RS-46/48/4810/56/66 though..

It's getting harder and harder to follow their naming scheme hahaha biggrin.gif
post #10 of 16 Old 01-08-2013, 01:44 PM - Thread Starter

Ha - this is complicated! I'm narrowing down based on price...I was able to get some measurements for my media room, the screen is 120" and the projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 12' - 14' feet away. I can control the light very well, it's basically dark at night (cave dark) and a little light seeps in during the daytime. I'm not a gamer, so it's purely movies, tv and sports (i watch a decent amount of sports). What do y'all recommend:

-Epson 5020 and a I found a new JVC DLA-RS50u for the same price
-Epson 5010 and Benq W7000 are about the same price and 20% - 25% less than 5020/RS50u
-the JVC 45/46s and Sony's were above this pricing, so i crossed them off the list...

Thanks!
post #11 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by coderguy View Post

For a one-projector solution, if any interest in 3D at all, I'd buy the Sony hw50es over all the others. !

If you can stretch the $500-$600 difference to get the Sony, it would be money well spent. If you have never seen the Sony, then you can probably choose one of the others without regret. But once you have seen the clarity and sharpness that the Sony offers with the Reality Creation it is difficult to go back.
post #12 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel_a View Post

Ha - this is complicated! I'm narrowing down based on price...I was able to get some measurements for my media room, the screen is 120" and the projector will be ceiling mounted approximately 12' - 14' feet away. I can control the light very well, it's basically dark at night (cave dark) and a little light seeps in during the daytime. I'm not a gamer, so it's purely movies, tv and sports (i watch a decent amount of sports). What do y'all recommend:
-Epson 5020 and a I found a new JVC DLA-RS50u for the same price
-Epson 5010 and Benq W7000 are about the same price and 20% - 25% less than 5020/RS50u
-the JVC 45/46s and Sony's were above this pricing, so i crossed them off the list...
Thanks!

I'm selling my RS45 with less than 50 hours on it. I am going into a much larger theater room and will be going
into a much bigger system overall. Anyway it is flawless, I have the 3D emitter and 4 pairs of glasses . I can save
you a bunch of money if the JVC RS45 is a contender. Under 10K there is not much better 2D. 3D is a tad dimmer
than others in the range but by no means poor. If you get a proper 3D screen , keep the projector closer to the screen
and do not exceed 100" in screen size you will be very happy. Alternatively you could get a high gain screen and the 3D
image will be substantially brighter.
I love 3D when it is done right( Avatar etc.) but I watch 95% 2D and the RS45 will sit on the top of the heap in that category.

PM me if you want to consider. I'm not in a hurry and have yet to list the unit to date.
post #13 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
It always surprises me when I see people selling projectors with such low hours on them. I've clocked 80 hours in less than a month already and I don't watch it everyday by any means.

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
post #14 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked: 533
I think many people buy projectors and then are surprised by how infrequently they use it. If you watch 3 movies a week and some sports event once a week, that would be about 600 hours a year. I think for most users a 1000 hours a year would be a lot. If you care alot about having the latest from a particular manufacturer thinking that they will improve it massively year to year, that means selling it once a year or so and doing it before the new model starts shipping. The way to run up hours is to fall asleep leaving it on all day and to endless play with the controls fixing gamma to some arbitrary value as the bulb ages and trying to reduce des. Thern you can put 1500 hours a year on it.

There are basically two camps. Your projector is your spare time life and your projector is part of your spare time life to make it betteri

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #15 of 16 Old 01-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvin1965S View Post

It always surprises me when I see people selling projectors with such low hours on them. I've clocked 80 hours in less than a month already and I don't watch it everyday by any means.

My wife had a run in with cancer and we spent the better part of the last year in treatment and away from home. But to be honest, if I watch a movie a week in the HT
that is still about it. I still have a large 60" TV in the family room that is the main viewing area. Most of my high end toys don't get used much, from boats to planes the
useage is low, too busy making money to pay for it all:p
post #16 of 16 Old 01-10-2013, 12:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm sorry to hear about your wife, it just seems to be a trend that I've noticed and was discussing with a friend lately: 1-2 year old projectors with very few hours on, being replaced with a newer model that is a tiny bit better. Sometimes owned by posters that seem to spend a lot of time on here 'talking' about projectors, but don't seem to use them much when they put them up for sale. Obviously cases like yours are the exception, but it seems for some that the thrill of the chase is more interesting that actually using the equipment...

EDIT: This post is typical, 1 year old and 50 hours use:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1450960/rs45-upgrade-to-better-or-improve-hardware-for-optimum-3d-on-a-larger-screen#post_22810289

Zooming: Been there, done that, bought the lens...
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System , Jvc Dla Rs45 Home Theater Projector 1080p Hdmi , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page