W7000 / W7000 (1.03) / W7000+ Confusion : Benq Canada claims the W7000 is actually a W7000+ - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Here is a breif list of issues I have seen with this unit.

(BOTH UNITS) 1 ) at proper altitude, frame interpolation and dynamic black disabled, BOTH units (the second one seems to have stopped for the time being) would seem to loose vsync slightly and fuzzy on component/composite and s video for 2 seconds every 5 or so. Really hard to take a video of it but very disruptive and almost garbage in my opinion if it weren't gone for the time being.
(Gone with unit 2) 2) solid red lamp led at 6 hours of lamp use and every hour after... Only removing the power cable and power cycling would let me back in. (tried reseating the lamp and cleaning contacts) didn't help
(Gone with unit 2) 3) red flashing lamp light come and go...
(all units) 4) NORMAL high pitched sounds... I can actually tolerate it so it should be an "issue" really

5) MAJOR PROBLEM because of willful negligence 1 year after 1.03 (they keep calling it 1.3 at Benq support so im not totally sure what is true.) the unit still appear to come with 1.0 with recent manufacturing dates kind of a cash grab from the service division if you ask me. How come this isn't end user serviceable from USB / RS232 : I hate the idea of paying money, risking it to the mail and being without it while someone else rips it apart. Honestly though who likes risking the unit to the postal service.

BenQ claims that anything manufactured any time in the last couple months labelled "W7000" is actually a completely unlabelled "W7000+" This is why the new releases are with a 1.0 Firmware.

Although I'm still skeptical.

Oddly enough the Benq Tech I have been dealing with sent me a screen shot of his order screen it would seem that here in Canada they have launched the W7000+ quietly with the W7000 label... He swears up and down that the 2 units here are 1) a W7000 with firmware version 1.0 the 2nd a W7000+ (with firmware 1.0 newest for the '+') labeled 100% as a W7000. So after claiming how disappointed I am he is sending a 3rd ~!~ this time a W7000 with firmware 1.03 so I can decide for myself.

Needless to say I need other people opinions to really grasp what are the differences..

Experts please just drop me a sentence or 2 I would be overwhelmed as I really need the help...

Sincerely,

Sean

PS: JUST ANSWER WITH ONE WORD IF YOU WANT... whats the best unit ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked: 310
Have you asked the BenQ Technician what the actual differences between the W7000 and W7000+ are? My guess is that there is very little difference. When the "+" moniker was listed on the site many thought that it was going to be a new revision of the unit with a DC3 instead of the DC2 in the regular W7000. On paper these units look exactly the same. Maybe the + is how BenQ markets it to non US countries?
post #3 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter

The tech had no idea; He is the highest tech level I can access too. He said he had to speak to the product manager as to why she chose to label it that way in Canada.... The point I have is which one should I pick... 3 to choose from now ...

A small part of me thinks they are trying to shake me off there back and there is no such thing as a '+' unit in Canada at all.... but he sent me a screenshot of his SN lookup screen .. I guess that should rule out any questions..

Plus the whole thing wouldn't matter much for me if it weren't for issue #1 on the list...
post #4 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM
Nov

Liked: 11
Had a W7000 arrive yesterday from Futureshop, manufactured in October 2012, firmware 1.00, box and label says W7000 not 7000+.

Craig
post #5 of 8 Old 01-10-2013, 11:00 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I had a chat on the Benq website with a tech last week. I had ordered a w7000 from VA, but it is on backorder at this time. Although, their site did seem to indicate they had it in stock, but that's another story. Anyway, I had an Oct '12 build and a Nov '12 build that I had ordered from Amazon. Both had 1.00 firmware and both had iris malfunctions. I decided for a variety of reasons to order my next one from VA.

Since it is backordered, I decided to chat with Benq and see what they had to say. To get to the point...........the tech said that everything they are now sending out is the w7000+ and has the iris fix.. True??? I don't know, but since I've already returned two, I am hoping that it is.

I doubt this is much help to you futiless and I am still wondering if the "iris fix" with the "+" model is just BS to not lose sales. I agree with you, this is a mess and very confusing.
futiless likes this.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Can anyone show me a video of this conjuring so I can say "ahh yes exactly that's the issue I have too",,,, maybe that is what is wrong in #1 .... the infamous iris issue but I can't be sure as I don't really know what it is ? rolleyes.gif
post #7 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

another theory of mine might be dumb but check out the normally overlooked operating instructions :

" 6. In areas where the mains power supply voltage
may fluctuate by ±10 volts, it is recommended
that you connect your projector through a power
stabilizer, surge protector or uninterruptible
power supply (UPS) as appropriate to your
situation."

?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-11-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
My first projector was a BenQ 8700+ that I purchased 12 or 13 years ago, on that particular projector BenQ made a running change during their production cycle and dubbed the newer version (which was significantly improved) the 8700+... although there was no + on the box or you simply had to know what serial number BenQ made the change at and then make sure you had your seller check the serial number before shipping it to you.

So what I am saying is BenQ has a history or doing exactly what they are talking about... making a running change to a production model which they then refer to internally as a + model, but without making any change to the name in their advertising material or on the boxes themselves.
futiless likes this.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Benq W7000 Home Projection System
Gear in this thread - W7000 by PriceGrabber.com