ATTENTION: MAGENTA (or any colored) STRIPE DEFECT ON THEIR JVC PROJECTOR - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 191 Old 06-19-2013, 02:36 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
1. Build Date (if available): Not too sure
2. Date first put into service? September 2011
3. Hours on projector (chassis hours) when problem started? Didn't write it down, but around 1500
4. Hours on original oem bulb when problem occurred (if still being used), or hours when removed? Same as above, still running on original bulb
5. If bulb was replaced, hours on replacement bulb when problem occurred (and brand, if known)?
6. How projector is operated - Ceiling or Table mount? Ceiling mount
7. Average room temperature where projector was operated? 70c
8. Average power cycle (i.e., number of hours operated each time projector was turned on)? 2-3 hours daily, up to 10 on weekends.

As far as I know, I'm the first to report a problem with my particular model. It's an Anthem LTX-500V, which is a clone of the JVC RS20. Problem showed up a while ago and has been constant since. Time using it, nor temperature change has affected it. Once the problem showed up it has remained. I can use it for 20 min or 10 hours and it the purple color band on the left side remains constant. It has widened over time to the point that it now really bothers me. Currently I'm working with my dealer to figure out the best solution, but being that it is an Anthem model, I have a feeling I may run into more headaches than most of you guys.

Anyways, I thought I would put my name down to let everyone know this problem also exists on the more expensive rebadges as well, and that this is still a problem. It actually is quite fascinating that most of these well documented problems are in Canada. Maybe the guy unloading them from our trucks kicked the boxes around too much? tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 191 Old 06-28-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-713 View Post

Just wondering everyone that has experienced this problem, did u guys have the projector calibrated?

For me, yes.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #93 of 191 Old 06-28-2013, 01:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage View Post

Has anyone seen the magenta stripe re-appear after the pj was serviced by JVC? I don't believe so, but want to make sure this is correct.

Fingers crossed that I won't. I probably have more than 1000 hours on mine since it was repaired (near the end of the warranty period). There is some speculation that the optical block have a revision at some point and that people like me, who has a RS20 repaired, got the newer optical block. Time will tell.

Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #94 of 191 Old 06-30-2013, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have roughly 1200 hours TOTAL, going on my 3rd bulb and, like nathan_h, I have my fingers crossed as well. If it does appear, I fear that I won't have any kind of funds to pony up for a newer JVC. I do have an A-lens and if the stripe does appear I will just zoom it out that much farther. Damn I love my 20 cool.gif

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #95 of 191 Old 06-30-2013, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

Fingers crossed that I won't. I probably have more than 1000 hours on mine since it was repaired (near the end of the warranty period). There is some speculation that the optical block have a revision at some point and that people like me, who has a RS20 repaired, got the newer optical block. Time will tell.

When did you have it repaired? If there was any revision in the optical block up until about a year ago, I'm not aware of it. Do you have any specific info?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #96 of 191 Old 06-30-2013, 02:22 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

I have roughly 1200 hours TOTAL, going on my 3rd bulb and, like nathan_h, I have my fingers crossed as well. If it does appear, I fear that I won't have any kind of funds to pony up for a newer JVC. I do have an A-lens and if the stripe does appear I will just zoom it out that much farther. Damn I love my 20 cool.gif

When was it repaired?

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
post #97 of 191 Old 06-30-2013, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Oh ok . I see what u mean I ended up getting the x95. I am a sucker
post #98 of 191 Old 07-01-2013, 10:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 42
techman707,
It has not been repaired b/c it's not broken. Hopefully it will stay that way!!!

Terrence
"Hey Vasquez, have you ever been mistaken for a man?...."No, have you?" -ALIENS

post #99 of 191 Old 07-01-2013, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

When did you have it repaired? If there was any revision in the optical block up until about a year ago, I'm not aware of it. Do you have any specific info?

October of 2010, I believe, is when I got mine repaired. In one of the JVC threads, there was discussion of a mid-cycle revision to the optical blocks, but I don't recall the details.

Build Thread:
post #100 of 191 Old 07-01-2013, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBMAN View Post

techman707,
It has not been repaired b/c it's not broken. Hopefully it will stay that way!!!

I thought you were saying it was repaired because you said "like nathan_h, I have my fingers crossed as well." and his was apparently repaired. It's getting very confusing. You're apparently talking about the RS20, is that right? Nathan_h said "October of 2010, I believe, is when I got mine repaired. In one of the JVC threads, there was discussion of a mid-cycle revision to the optical blocks, but I don't recall the details."

All I can say is that if there was any mid-cycle revision for the RS20, the problem wouldn't still be showing up on the RS25/35 etc.

post #101 of 191 Old 07-08-2013, 03:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I thought you were saying it was repaired because you said "like nathan_h, I have my fingers crossed as well." and his was apparently repaired. It's getting very confusing. You're apparently talking about the RS20, is that right? Nathan_h said "October of 2010, I believe, is when I got mine repaired. In one of the JVC threads, there was discussion of a mid-cycle revision to the optical blocks, but I don't recall the details."

All I can say is that if there was any mid-cycle revision for the RS20, the problem wouldn't still be showing up on the RS25/35 etc.

That's a good point. If there are RS25's who have had their optical block replaced with a current rev, and develop the problem after that, then that's a problem.

By "mid cycle" I didn't mean "mid-cycle in the retail life of the RS-20," I meant mid-cycle in the life of the optical block, which was shared across several different projectors for more than one generation, according to what I was told at the time.

Build Thread:
post #102 of 191 Old 07-09-2013, 03:12 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's a good point. If there are RS25's who have had their optical block replaced with a current rev, and develop the problem after that, then that's a problem.

By "mid cycle" I didn't mean "mid-cycle in the retail life of the RS-20," I meant mid-cycle in the life of the optical block, which was shared across several different projectors for more than one generation, according to what I was told at the time.

Unless they're still using the same optical block in the new chassis', then the RS25/35 would have been the last chassis to use that OB. If that is correct, then I believe it has shown up in late manufacturing date RS25 and 35 units. I don't think they fixed anything. I just wish they would tell the truth about the exact cause, instead of claiming to be unaware of ANY problem.

post #103 of 191 Old 07-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 15
MY RS10, which I purchased from AVS in February of 2010, developed the magenta stripe on the left side of the screen about two months ago. I only have 1600 hours on it, to date. At the time I assumed it was related to the lamp/bulb, and was just about to order a new one when I came across this thread. This has been an absolutely great projector until now, and I am shocked that this problem appears so prevalent and JVC will neither acknowledge it or take any action on it. Even worse is the fact that there appears to be no affordable/sensible repair option. This is extremely unfortunate. My position at work is being eliminated at the end of the year due to outsourcing, and I am only still employed due to an extended transition period. The last thing I expected to have to worry about was the projector failing, and I am very ill equipped to replace something of this cost due to the above situation. Really, really disheartening.

John
post #104 of 191 Old 07-14-2013, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post

MY RS10, which I purchased from AVS in February of 2010, developed the magenta stripe on the left side of the screen about two months ago. I only have 1600 hours on it, to date. At the time I assumed it was related to the lamp/bulb, and was just about to order a new one when I came across this thread. This has been an absolutely great projector until now, and I am shocked that this problem appears so prevalent and JVC will neither acknowledge it or take any action on it. Even worse is the fact that there appears to be no affordable/sensible repair option. This is extremely unfortunate. My position at work is being eliminated at the end of the year due to outsourcing, and I am only still employed due to an extended transition period. The last thing I expected to have to worry about was the projector failing, and I am very ill equipped to replace something of this cost due to the above situation. Really, really disheartening.

John

I agree with EVERYTHING you say! It IS a great projector....with the exception of this problem.tongue.gif The worst part about it is JVC's failure to not only acknowledge it, but, tell us exactly what it is and/or what causes it.eek.gif That's the LEAST they could do.rolleyes.gif While there's probably a lot of labor involved to correct it, I don't believe that the OB really needs to be "replaced".wink.gif My wife has hated JVC going back to the early seventies when they were still calling themselves The Japan Victor Company, when they screwed me on a number of so called "broadcast" cameras that didn't work correctly and they left me out to dry with my customers. After being impressed with the "G" and "HX" series D'ILA projectors (except for the noise), I decided to buy an RS35. She warned me and said "buy ANY brand but JVC or you'll regret it".... and here we are!....again mad.gif

post #105 of 191 Old 07-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

I agree with EVERYTHING you say! It IS a great projector....with the exception of this problem.tongue.gif The worst part about it is JVC's failure to not only acknowledge it, but, tell us exactly what it is and/or what causes it.eek.gif That's the LEAST they could do.rolleyes.gif While there's probably a lot of labor involved to correct it, I don't believe that the OB really needs to be "replaced".wink.gif My wife has hated JVC going back to the early seventies when they were still calling themselves The Japan Victor Company, when they screwed me on a number of so called "broadcast" cameras that didn't work correctly and they left me out to dry with my customers. After being impressed with the "G" and "HX" series D'ILA projectors (except for the noise), I decided to buy an RS35. She warned me and said "buy ANY brand but JVC or you'll regret it".... and here we are!....again mad.gif

Which also raise the question, is the entire RS series subject to this problem, including the RS40?

John
post #106 of 191 Old 07-15-2013, 06:03 PM
Advanced Member

At this point, through the information provided here, I discover that I now have a projector which is severely compromised by the defect already, and it apparently will only get worse. It also can't be repaired for any reasonable amount, and isn't worth risking the repair lasting anyway. Besides being caught between a rock and a hard place financially, as described above, I'm having difficulty as to what logical options are even available to me now. I certainly cannot now afford a new series JVC model, at a price of $4k, minimum. And in addition, how could I ever trust JVC again, given the issue, and their refusal to do anything whatsoever to address it. Yet I also can't conceive of buying something that will provide me with lower picture quality than my RS10, So here I am with a home theater whose projector is already malfunctioning, and will worsen. I have limited funding available to replace it due to my specific financial constraints. And I will likely have no choice but to accept something that will, from the time I first unbox it and get it properly set up, forever disappoint me with it's picture quality in comparison. What a wonderful situation.

My plan, when I purchased the RS10, a bit over three years ago, was to use it until certain technology elements had settled, and the "next" projector technology standard was identified, well underway, and somewhat affordable. Now, being pushed into an enforced retirement, and thus, severely and permanently financially limited, my plan was to hang onto the RS10, that I was still extremely pleased with until 4k projectors were standardized, and available at sane prices, and buying one of those for the long haul. I projected that to likely be another 24-36 months. Now, out of the blue, I have to replace my existing unit, and will simply not be able to purchase a replacement in 2-3, or even 5 years. Thank you JVC!!!

John
post #107 of 191 Old 07-15-2013, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

[/SIZE][/B]

Which also raise the question, is the entire RS series subject to this problem, including the RS40?

John

Good question? Until JVC admits there's a problem and what cause is, we'll never know where or how it will show up.rolleyes.gif

post #108 of 191 Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Unless they're still using the same optical block in the new chassis', then the RS25/35 would have been the last chassis to use that OB. If that is correct, then I believe it has shown up in late manufacturing date RS25 and 35 units. I don't think they fixed anything. I just wish they would tell the truth about the exact cause, instead of claiming to be unaware of ANY problem.

At one time on the JVC service site, one could look up all the part numbers for each projector. I don't have the link handy, but one could compare the optical block part number for the RS20 and the next few gens. As I recall, the OB part number was the same for more than one generation.

This won't tell us whether there was an improved version, under the same part number, but it could correlate in an interesting way with the model numbers cited here as having a problem.

It is of no assistance to anyone who already has the projector, but for anyone contemplating buying one of these, it appears one should consider an extended warranty of say 3 years beyond the factory warranty, or longer, might be a wise investment. If I get another JVC in the future, I'll swallow my pride and do that.

Build Thread:
post #109 of 191 Old 07-16-2013, 09:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

At one time on the JVC service site, one could look up all the part numbers for each projector. I don't have the link handy, but one could compare the optical block part number for the RS20 and the next few gens. As I recall, the OB part number was the same for more than one generation.

This won't tell us whether there was an improved version, under the same part number, but it could correlate in an interesting way with the model numbers cited here as having a problem.

It is of no assistance to anyone who already has the projector, but for anyone contemplating buying one of these, it appears one should consider an extended warranty of say 3 years beyond the factory warranty, or longer, might be a wise investment. If I get another JVC in the future, I'll swallow my pride and do that.

Any recommendations for who to get that extended warranty from?

John
post #110 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 43
As the issue is clearly prevalent, JVC UK have set-up with a partner company (Sontec) to actually repair the optical block (not replace). It is a fixed price repair (less than 200 UK pounds). Annoying but affordable. Apparently this was a joint venture with JVC and this other company to come up with a procedure to repair them. It seems this method only exists in the UK right now.
post #111 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 08:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonStatt View Post

As the issue is clearly prevalent, JVC UK have set-up with a partner company (Sontec) to actually repair the optical block (not replace). It is a fixed price repair (less than 200 UK pounds). Annoying but affordable. Apparently this was a joint venture with JVC and this other company to come up with a procedure to repair them. It seems this method only exists in the UK right now.

That's all well and fine, however, they need to tell us WHAT CAUSES IT. IF they don't know, then I don't want them fixing anything for me.mad.gif

post #112 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

That's all well and fine, however, they need to tell us WHAT CAUSES IT. IF they don't know, then I don't want them fixing anything for me.mad.gif

I understand. But there is a difference between not knowing and not saying. For whatever reason, JVC do not seem willing to say...but I am sure they know what is causing it!
post #113 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 08:44 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I understand. But there is a difference between not knowing and not saying. For whatever reason, JVC do not seem willing to say...but I am sure they know what is causing it!

It's okay for them to be silent if they want to take responsibility for the DEFECT. However, when you buy a projector for nearly 10K in some cases, they need to be more upfront about the problems. At least Sony finally took some responsibility for their SXRD problem. Had they done that in the beginning, I think people would have had more respect for them. JVC's ignoring of this problem doesn't inspire confidence in the company. Mind you, in both cases, the products are terrific....before those problems develop.

post #114 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 09:08 PM
Advanced Member

Thanks for the information on JVC acknowledging the problem in the UK. One would think they will have to follow suit and do that here in the States too. Which puts me in a quandary. It certainly doesn't seem wise to purchase a replacement projector for my RS10 with it's stripe defect if they are going to admit the problem and offer affordable repairs. The question is when that will happen.

John
post #115 of 191 Old 07-17-2013, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the information on JVC acknowledging the problem in the UK. One would think they will have to follow suit and do that here in the States too. Which puts me in a quandary. It certainly doesn't seem wise to purchase a replacement projector for my RS10 with it's stripe defect if they are going to admit the problem and offer affordable repairs. The question is when that will happen.

John

It doesn't sound like an "official acknowledgement" by JVC to me.

" One would think they will have to follow suit and do that here in the States too."
From personal experience, they don't (and probably won't) follow suit here in the U.S. or anywhere else. To do so would be an "admission", which I believe is something you'll NEVER see for this problem. But, we can always hope. It reminds me of a Ford Motor Company story, when they recalled cars for a defect that stretched over an eight model year period. A friend of mine that worked for them told me that every month that they delayed recalling the cars and admitting there was a problem to the government saved many millions of dollars. During the delayed period, hundreds of cars permanently came off the road due to age, accidents, etc. It's the same with JVC. After everyone is finished screaming and the projectors become "old junk' (partly because of their reputation from this),there won't be as many people still lined up to scream demanding a resolution. They have people that run all these numbers, so JVC knows EXACTLY what they're doing. eek.gif

post #116 of 191 Old 07-18-2013, 12:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any recommendations for who to get that extended warranty from?

John

No, I don't. Others here have used some add on warranties and have the OB replaced by them, so that might be a place to start.

Failing a good recommendation, I'd start first with the vendor I am buying it from, if they offer such an extended warranty, and then look into something like squaretrade, which seems to be a common brand. But I have no experience with either route.

Build Thread:
post #117 of 191 Old 07-18-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you tell us more about this?

Although I don't relish the idea, if a 200 pound repair is possible, that would tip the balance from expensive trash heap that costs as much to repair (new optical block) as a new projector to a very annoying but much more affordable repair option.

I'm not even looking for JVC to pay for it (though I agree they should). I'm just looking for an opportunity to pay for it myself, for a reasonable cost, should the need (shudder) ever arise (again).

Build Thread:
post #118 of 191 Old 07-18-2013, 09:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

It doesn't sound like an "official acknowledgement" by JVC to me.

" One would think they will have to follow suit and do that here in the States too."
From personal experience, they don't (and probably won't) follow suit here in the U.S. or anywhere else. To do so would be an "admission", which I believe is something you'll NEVER see for this problem. But, we can always hope. It reminds me of a Ford Motor Company story, when they recalled cars for a defect that stretched over an eight model year period. A friend of mine that worked for them told me that every month that they delayed recalling the cars and admitting there was a problem to the government saved many millions of dollars. During the delayed period, hundreds of cars permanently came off the road due to age, accidents, etc. It's the same with JVC. After everyone is finished screaming and the projectors become "old junk' (partly because of their reputation from this),there won't be as many people still lined up to scream demanding a resolution. They have people that run all these numbers, so JVC knows EXACTLY what they're doing. eek.gif

JVC did officially admit to the issue and having made arrangements for the repair with the partner company. After a call I made to them about this situation on Wednesday, AVS contacted JVC European management who confirmed it to them. And I agree it may not necessarily translate to the US. However, I think, given the admittance in Great Britain of the defect, and arranging an affordable repair, that legal action, likely a class action suit, might be possible here in the States. The difference between this, and your automobile scenario, which I'm certain was likely correct, is that Ford held off in admitting the issue and starting the recall. JVC has already admitted to this and, regardless of where they made that public, it opens them to liability, I would think.

John
post #119 of 191 Old 07-21-2013, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Would love to hear more about the European repair -- both from the perspective of what JVC Europe is saying to people in the US (especially big dealers like AVS) and how one might "take one's destiny into one's own hands" and use the European repair service, bypassing JVC, if needed. That would almost certainly be cheaper than hiring a lawyer for a class action suit, and much quicker.

Does that taste bad? Sure. As bad as replacing an optical block, or waiting and paying for a lawsuit? No way.

Build Thread:
post #120 of 191 Old 07-22-2013, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Would love to hear more about the European repair -- both from the perspective of what JVC Europe is saying to people in the US (especially big dealers like AVS) and how one might "take one's destiny into one's own hands" and use the European repair service, bypassing JVC, if needed. That would almost certainly be cheaper than hiring a lawyer for a class action suit, and much quicker.

Does that taste bad? Sure. As bad as replacing an optical block, or waiting and paying for a lawsuit? No way.

Well I don't think JVC have admitted anything specifically. They have simply provided a cheaper repair in the UK (note that JVC Europe is not the same company as JVC UK...this seems to be a UK exclusive right now). By inference you could argue that as they have invested in determining a repair mechanism for these optical blocks they are admitting a widespread problem...but that's for a legal expert to comment.

I don't know anymore than I have told you. I know of one person on a UK forum who had this procedure done and it worked. The projector was turned around in less than 2 weeks if I recall.

The company doing the work is called Sontec

http://www.sontec.co.uk/
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 55a3000 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page