ATTENTION: MAGENTA (or any colored) STRIPE DEFECT ON THEIR JVC PROJECTOR - Page 7 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #181 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 03:32 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,060
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

YES! If you read all my posts, I never believed it was an actual problem with the optical block. I believe it's dirt/dust related. wink.gif

Sorry, I only responded because your post, said the problem still exists. The problem discussion in this thread is about optical block. Optical block problems are just about extinct, since the RS40.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #182 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 03:41 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 5,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Sorry, I only responded because your post, said the problem still exists. The problem discussion in this thread is about optical block. Optical block problems are just about extinct, since the RS40.

You mean the RS40 had some but later models didn't or that the RS40 is the start of when the optical block problems stopped occuring?

____________________

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #183 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Sorry, I only responded because your post, said the problem still exists. The problem discussion in this thread is about optical block. Optical block problems are just about extinct, since the RS40.

LOL smile.gif I'm the one that started the thread. I never believed they were ALL defective optical blocks. None of tbe responses from JVC have made ANY sense. I've been a fan of JVC's D'ILA (LCoS) from the beginning. I STILL BELIEVE it produces the best picture quality and the closest to the look of film (which I have 50 years experience with in movie theatres).

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #184 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Member
 
S A M 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post

It has been a month. Still looking good??

NO! I just didn't bother to post on this thread as it seemed dormant, I posted in the "official JVCRS40.X3" thread instead.
Less than 3 weeks after I got it back the EXACT same problem returned.
Back to those geniuses at Mendtronix yet again.

Now they're saying it needs a part number "PC010634499 DD PWB ASSY" It's still there, has been for 2 weeks, no word on when I'll get it back.

It may not be the optical block, but really it seems WORSE. Totally unusable like this.

JVC is trying to be reasonable with me, but I'm seriously thinking the RS40 at least is truly a lemon...
Really glad I have my Epson at this point. Pretty sure I'm through with JVC at this point, even if this finally gets fixed for a year or 2 more.
And even if this is a rare occurrence, as long as Mendtronix is their service provider I just don't think I want to deal with them.

S A M 33
nathan_h likes this.
S A M 33 is offline  
post #185 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 04:49 PM
Member
 
S A M 33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 158
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

LOL smile.gif I'm the one that started the thread. I STILL BELIEVE it produces the best picture quality and the closest to the look of film (which I have 50 years experience with in movie theatres).

So do I . I'm an old film collector, and I watch mostly vintage films, a lot of black and white. As I've said above, WHEN this works, it's got a wonderful picture, no doubt about it.
But the Epson is about 90% of it, has superior 3D, and costs about half.

IF I get in the market for a "higher end" replacement when the Epson dies (or maybe this JVC, there's still a slim hope I'll get it back and have it run for another year or two), I'll probably check out a Sony at this point.

S A M 33
S A M 33 is offline  
post #186 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 05:14 PM
AVS Club Gold
 
AV Science Sales 5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: A beautiful view of a lake
Posts: 10,060
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1600 Post(s)
Liked: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by S A M 33 View Post

NO! I just didn't bother to post on this thread as it seemed dormant, I posted in the "official JVCRS40.X3" thread instead.
Less than 3 weeks after I got it back the EXACT same problem returned.
Back to those geniuses at Mendtronix yet again.

Now they're saying it needs a part number "PC010634499 DD PWB ASSY" It's still there, has been for 2 weeks, no word on when I'll get it back.

It may not be the optical block, but really it seems WORSE. Totally unusable like this.

JVC is trying to be reasonable with me, but I'm seriously thinking the RS40 at least is truly a lemon...
Really glad I have my Epson at this point. Pretty sure I'm through with JVC at this point, even if this finally gets fixed for a year or 2 more.
And even if this is a rare occurrence, as long as Mendtronix is their service provider I just don't think I want to deal with them.

S A M 33

I agree, the JVC's throw a wonderful image. I have a JVC, but I also have a Sony also. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Sony, JVC, Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon, DNP & more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Tech., MK Sound, SVS & Def Tech, Denon, Pioneer, Marantz & Yamaha .
AV Science Sales 5 is online now  
post #187 of 194 Old 04-14-2014, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

I agree, the JVC's throw a wonderful image. I have a JVC, but I also have a Sony also. smile.gif

OT here, but since you have both... I have a "door stop" JVC RS20 and need a replacement. I'm SO stung by the JVC optical block fiasco that I'm thinking of the Sony 55ES. Will I be disappointed by such things as stars in the night sky?
erkq is offline  
post #188 of 194 Old 04-15-2014, 06:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

Sorry, I only responded because your post, said the problem still exists. The problem discussion in this thread is about optical block. Optical block problems are just about extinct, since the RS40.

Since JVC admits to nothing and I never believed all these Optical Blocks were going bad, I would have to take your word for it that "Optical block problems are just about extinct, since the RS40". If JVC was more UPFRONT with this and other problems, they would then not only have a great projector, BUT A BETTER REPUTATION FOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. Sony tried to stonewall their purported optical block problem(s) on their SXRD line of TV's (that IMHO were the BEST sets they ever made for PQ when new) and wound up discontinuing those great rear screen SXRD TV's. In the end they took some responsibility, however, never admitted to ANY PROBLEM.

Any company (even a great company) can make a product with a design flaw (look at Toyota), it's when they LIE ABOUT IT FROM BEGINNING TO END that the real problems develop. So I'll end with two questions, WHY WON'T JVC TELL US THE TRUTH WHEN IT COMES TO A DEFECT ON AN OTHERWISE GREAT PROJECTOR? If the problem NO LONGER EXISTS (as you say on the RS 40 and up), EXACTLY WHAT WAS IT AND EXACTLY WHAT PARTS WERE NECESSARY TO CORRECT IT? For what these projectors sell for, I believe they OWE IT TO US!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #189 of 194 Old 04-29-2014, 11:57 AM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Well, folks... I had a magenta stripe! In my case, it was a new bulb, or the act of replacing the bulb that fixed it. Either way, I'm stoked.

The bulb that caused problems was a no-name bulb/reflector replacement I put in the old bulb housing. The new bulb is a Philips complete with housing. I looked at them side-by-side during the replacement and the no-name had become foggy. The new bulb was utterly clean and clear in comparison.
erkq is offline  
post #190 of 194 Old 04-29-2014, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
techman707's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Florida & New York
Posts: 9,348
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post

Well, folks... I had a magenta stripe! In my case, it was a new bulb, or the act of replacing the bulb that fixed it. Either way, I'm stoked.

The bulb that caused problems was a no-name bulb/reflector replacement I put in the old bulb housing. The new bulb is a Philips complete with housing. I looked at them side-by-side during the replacement and the no-name had become foggy. The new bulb was utterly clean and clear in comparison.

I think it was somewhere in this thread that I mentioned problems with some of those "no name" replacement bulbs that ran MUCH hotter than the OEM bulb and causing a number of different problems. But it might have been on the Sony SXRD TV's thread, it's been a while. However, whether D'ILA or SXRD, the visual problems it can cause on LCoS projectors and TV's are the same. If not aligned perfectly and stays that way, it can cause all kinds of problems. But hey, JVC would tell you to only use JVC brand replacement parts. -LOL smile.gif
erkq likes this.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -Ghandi
techman707 is offline  
post #191 of 194 Old 04-30-2014, 08:09 AM
AVS Special Member
 
erkq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by techman707 View Post

I think it was somewhere in this thread that I mentioned problems with some of those "no name" replacement bulbs that ran MUCH hotter than the OEM bulb and causing a number of different problems. But it might have been on the Sony SXRD TV's thread, it's been a while. However, whether D'ILA or SXRD, the visual problems it can cause on LCoS projectors and TV's are the same. If not aligned perfectly and stays that way, it can cause all kinds of problems. But hey, JVC would tell you to only use JVC brand replacement parts. -LOL smile.gif

Thank you. Graphic, scary lesson learned!
erkq is offline  
post #192 of 194 Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Newbie
 
NCCouchTater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Wake Forest, NC
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Smile RS35U potential cause and fix for dark stripe at edge

Joined the forum just to post in this thread. I have an early run RS35U (installed May 2010) that developed a yellow stripe on the right edge (ceiling mount) coincident with a bulb change. In researching the problem I came across this thread and thought I would share my observation of the problem, a cause and a solution in case there are any owners of 2010-2012 DILA chassis still out there where this may help / apply.


Note I don't work for JVC nor am I in any way affiliated so this is certainly not "insider's knowledge."


The cause of the stripe in my case was misalignment of the blue mirror in the optical block. I don't have a root cause for the misalignment but my best guess (and it's just a guess) is that the adhesive on the alignment device may have allowed some shifting after time and potentially heat. The repair consisted of realigning the mirror. Once the unit is disassembled to the point of gaining access to the optical block, the realignment is fairly easy for a yellow stripe (blue mirror out of alignment) but is a major pain in the ass for a Cyan, Magenta or Blue stripe due to the location of the other mirrors and substantial additional disassembly required.


Details for those really interested... The light path from the bulb consists of the following stages: (my names, not probably technically correct):
1) Initial parallelizer - UV filter, a couple of refractors and a lens
2) Prism splitter and mirror combo - splits the light into a blue and orange path


Blue light path from 2 forward
3) Mirror
6) Final lens


Red/Green light path from 2 forward
3) Mirror
4) Polarizer (likely used only for black level control, not required for display)
5) Prism splitter - splits the orange light into green and red


Red light path from 5 forward
6) Lens
7) Polarizer (probably for black level control, not required for display)


Green light path from 5 forward
6) Lens
7) Polarizer (probably for black level control, not required for display)


From here each light color reflects off of an LCoS device, goes through a recombiner then into the lens assembly. The reason this can be repaired is you are fixing the light source before it hits the LCoS device, not after. Anything after the panel - fuggedaboudit.


There is an alignment device on each of the mirrors (3) above, and on the splitter
(5) above. The alignment device is attached by two bolts with washers and consists of a moveable part attached to a fixed part by an adhesive. First picture shows the optical block, the blue mirror adjuster circled and an arrow pointing to the orange mirror.


The repair consists of gently removing the adjuster (don't break the extremely delicate glass mirror), removing the adhesive with heat and a razor blade, wrapping the top of the moveable part with two (no more, no less) 5-7mm wide layers of aluminum tape (Home Depot), reinstalling it but not tightening the screws all the way, aligning the mirror by moving the moveable part while observing the screen, then final tightening and reassembly. The second picture shows a close-up of the blue adjuster after the repair (edge of tape is visible so you can see what I mean by wrapping the moveable part).


Total time for blue only is about 1.5 hours to disassemble, 1.5 hours for the repair and 1.5 hours to reassemble. Note you have to screw on the bulb cover to activate a safety switch to get the projector to power on, and you have to connect the connector on the PCB on the top so the power button works while doing this.


For the orange mirror (magenta or blue stripe), you have to partly remove the optical block to gain access to the adjuster, do the repair, replace the optical block (but do not reinstall), re-align, re-remove the optical block to tighten down the adjuster slightly (not all the way), re-replace, re-align, repeat tightening each time until you are satisfied, then reinstall the optical block and reassemble the unit. I figure adding at least another two hours for this, and it is definitely not for the tentative - lots of things to break, cut or forget to reconnect.


No idea how long-lived this repair will be, but for now, my projector is working again.
Note - while you have this apart, you can clean the UV filter that sits just after the bulb but DO NOT disassemble the optical block or try to clean anything else. You WILL bust your alignment or worse.


Tater
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img1.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	224.0 KB
ID:	491577   Click image for larger version

Name:	img2.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	189.2 KB
ID:	491585  
NCCouchTater is offline  
post #193 of 194 Old 01-20-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
nathan_h's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: O.A.S.I.S
Posts: 5,267
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCCouchTater View Post
Joined the forum just to post in this thread. I have an early run RS35U (installed May 2010) that developed a yellow stripe on the right edge (ceiling mount) coincident with a bulb change. In researching the problem I came across this thread and thought I would share my observation of the problem, a cause and a solution in case there are any owners of 2010-2012 DILA chassis still out there where this may help / apply.


Note I don't work for JVC nor am I in any way affiliated so this is certainly not "insider's knowledge."


The cause of the stripe in my case was misalignment of the blue mirror in the optical block. I don't have a root cause for the misalignment but my best guess (and it's just a guess) is that the adhesive on the alignment device may have allowed some shifting after time and potentially heat. The repair consisted of realigning the mirror. Once the unit is disassembled to the point of gaining access to the optical block, the realignment is fairly easy for a yellow stripe (blue mirror out of alignment) but is a major pain in the ass for a Cyan, Magenta or Blue stripe due to the location of the other mirrors and substantial additional disassembly required.


Details for those really interested... The light path from the bulb consists of the following stages: (my names, not probably technically correct):
1) Initial parallelizer - UV filter, a couple of refractors and a lens
2) Prism splitter and mirror combo - splits the light into a blue and orange path


Blue light path from 2 forward
3) Mirror
6) Final lens


Red/Green light path from 2 forward
3) Mirror
4) Polarizer (likely used only for black level control, not required for display)
5) Prism splitter - splits the orange light into green and red


Red light path from 5 forward
6) Lens
7) Polarizer (probably for black level control, not required for display)


Green light path from 5 forward
6) Lens
7) Polarizer (probably for black level control, not required for display)


From here each light color reflects off of an LCoS device, goes through a recombiner then into the lens assembly. The reason this can be repaired is you are fixing the light source before it hits the LCoS device, not after. Anything after the panel - fuggedaboudit.


There is an alignment device on each of the mirrors (3) above, and on the splitter
(5) above. The alignment device is attached by two bolts with washers and consists of a moveable part attached to a fixed part by an adhesive. First picture shows the optical block, the blue mirror adjuster circled and an arrow pointing to the orange mirror.


The repair consists of gently removing the adjuster (don't break the extremely delicate glass mirror), removing the adhesive with heat and a razor blade, wrapping the top of the moveable part with two (no more, no less) 5-7mm wide layers of aluminum tape (Home Depot), reinstalling it but not tightening the screws all the way, aligning the mirror by moving the moveable part while observing the screen, then final tightening and reassembly. The second picture shows a close-up of the blue adjuster after the repair (edge of tape is visible so you can see what I mean by wrapping the moveable part).


Total time for blue only is about 1.5 hours to disassemble, 1.5 hours for the repair and 1.5 hours to reassemble. Note you have to screw on the bulb cover to activate a safety switch to get the projector to power on, and you have to connect the connector on the PCB on the top so the power button works while doing this.


For the orange mirror (magenta or blue stripe), you have to partly remove the optical block to gain access to the adjuster, do the repair, replace the optical block (but do not reinstall), re-align, re-remove the optical block to tighten down the adjuster slightly (not all the way), re-replace, re-align, repeat tightening each time until you are satisfied, then reinstall the optical block and reassemble the unit. I figure adding at least another two hours for this, and it is definitely not for the tentative - lots of things to break, cut or forget to reconnect.


No idea how long-lived this repair will be, but for now, my projector is working again.
Note - while you have this apart, you can clean the UV filter that sits just after the bulb but DO NOT disassemble the optical block or try to clean anything else. You WILL bust your alignment or worse.


Tater
Thanks for sharing this. Might be a worthwhile last ditch effort for those suffering from this (apparent) design flaw in these projectors.

____________________

Build thread & current gear: "Nathan's Theater in Search of....".
nathan_h is offline  
post #194 of 194 Old Today, 07:13 PM
Member
 
rollon1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: London, UK
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm opening up a JVC DLA-HD950 this weekend to clean the innards out and possibly try and fix the mirror alignment. Has anyone else had success with this? We haven't heard from tater regarding the fix or how well / badly it went in the end.
rollon1980 is offline  
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread - 55a3000 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off