ATTENTION: MAGENTA (or any colored) STRIPE DEFECT ON THEIR JVC PROJECTOR - Page 8 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 9Likes
post #211 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan_h View Post
The stripe gets bigger and bigger over time, so the question might be "How big is too big for you to ignore?" I lived with it for a couple months before it was too much to bear.
Great - so there is no way it will last out the year,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Argggg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:36 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1150 Post(s)
Liked: 726
Time will tell. In part it is a function of how often you use the projector. I know one owner who used it for two years and just increased side masking a bit each month. So it is also a function of how you feel about losing some of the picture. No one I know has been able to stomach it until complete failure. So whether you use it for the rest of 2017 may be a matter of preference and OCD.

Check out my current theater & gear.
Listen to the best movie review podcast, the /filmcast.
Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #213 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic265 View Post
So - big question is how long do I have before I can no longer use this projector ? Cannot tell from reading the threads here -
Any advice appreciated
Mine did not get much bigger over time, I lived with it for about 3 years until finally the HDMI inputs stopped working. On my unit using the mask option in the menu and cutting off either 2.5% or 5% of the projected image would take care of most of it so it's not visible, but then you have a slightly smaller screen and lose some of the actual picture from the source.
nathan_h likes this.

post #214 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Time will tell. In part it is a function of how often you use the projector. I know one owner who used it for two years and just increased side masking a bit each month. So it is also a function of how you feel about losing some of the picture. No one I know has been able to stomach it until complete failure. So whether you use it for the rest of 2017 may be a matter of preference and OCD.
I stomached it for 3 years, only because at the point when it started happening the newer JVCs had worse input lag and I game quit a bit on my projector. Only now that the HDMI inputs stopped working that I am forced to upgrade and luckily the new units have low latency mode.
post #215 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Nathan, Mike - I really appreciate your input. I zoomed the picture a bit and it took care of the line for now - I was thinking of the JVC RS 500 as a replacement - but I think as Mike A mentioned, don't these models have a bit of a lag with start up and between channel switching?
I think I will wait and see for now - not anxious to spend big bucks again
post #216 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lic265 View Post
Nathan, Mike - I really appreciate your input. I zoomed the picture a bit and it took care of the line for now - I was thinking of the JVC RS 500 as a replacement - but I think as Mike A mentioned, don't these models have a bit of a lag with start up and between channel switching?
I think I will wait and see for now - not anxious to spend big bucks again
The input lag I refer to is for gaming. If you don't play video games on your projector then it's not an issue. I think the input/signal switching ( like switching from 24p to 60P and vice versa ) is still an issue even with the newer RSx20 series. Also the RSx20 has some CMD banding issues that are not as visible on the RS500, so if you used CMD at all or want to use it then the RS500 probably makes more sense.
post #217 of 228 Unread 04-25-2017, 10:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Yes, the newer models are not perfect. Definitely do research in the owners threads before buying to make sure the features you value most are working adequately.

There are, in fact, some features that are worse these days (like the delay when changing inputs) from older generations.

But most features are significantly improved.

Don't suffer through Gamma D on your JVC. Optimize HDR Tone Mapping using Arve's tool & Masciola's test patterns instead (hints.)
post #218 of 228 Unread 04-28-2017, 03:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 857 Post(s)
Liked: 277
The big bugaboo with the recent JVC projectors is the HDMI handshaking... JVC projectors take a long time to get an image up... I don't know why they have not fixed this yet. Every time I switch inputs, I have to reboot the projector...

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #219 of 228 Unread 04-28-2017, 08:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked: 460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post
The big bugaboo with the recent JVC projectors is the HDMI handshaking... JVC projectors take a long time to get an image up... I don't know why they have not fixed this yet. Every time I switch inputs, I have to reboot the projector...
I don't understand why this is any kind of problem at all let alone a "big bugaboo". It certainly syncs up by the time you get the popcorn buttered and the wine opened. I've never had it interfere in any way with my enjoyment of my RS500.
post #220 of 228 Unread 04-29-2017, 09:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I don't understand why this is any kind of problem at all let alone a "big bugaboo". It certainly syncs up by the time you get the popcorn buttered and the wine opened. I've never had it interfere in any way with my enjoyment of my RS500.
I love my RS500 but the sync times are annoying. For a while we would miss the first 25 seconds of every movie and have to re-wind to see it.

(For people that use the projector for multiple sources and channel surfing or watching multiple short clips from a server or USB drive, it could be very annoying.)

We work around it by only watching long format stuff, and hitting pause during the sync so that we don't miss the start of a presentation.

But for people thinking of upgrading from a RS20 era projector, this recent generation is a huge step up in almost every other way.

post #221 of 228 Unread 04-29-2017, 10:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
I love my RS500 but the sync times are annoying. For a while we would miss the first 25 seconds of every movie and have to re-wind to see
But for people thinking of upgrading from a RS20 era projector, this recent generation is a huge step up in almost every other way.
I never run into this. But I guess I do things differently. When we decide to watch a movie I turn on the theater. The next thing I see is the welcome screen of the BD player or the computer's desktop (depending). Then I insert the BD into the player. Then the BD menu appears. Then I hit "play" and it plays with no lost parts. Or, on the computer, I double click the file I want to play and it plays with no lost parts. The point is, the sync happens before the media is started.
post #222 of 228 Unread 04-29-2017, 11:18 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Quote:
I love my RS500 but the sync times are annoying. For a while we would miss the first 25 seconds of every movie and have to re-wind to see
I never run into this. But I guess I do things differently. When we decide to watch a movie I turn on the theater. The next thing I see is the welcome screen of the BD player or the computer's desktop (depending). Then I insert the BD into the player. Then the BD menu appears. Then I hit "play" and it plays with no lost parts. Or, on the computer, I double click the file I want to play and it plays with no lost parts. The point is, the sync happens before the media is started.
Interesting. Maybe your playback device keeps a constant signal at the same refresh and resolution rate for all sources and when changing streams?

I get the blank screen between FBI warning and menu. Between menu and feature. Etc.

And of course I get it when playing a folder of files of previews or test patterns between each file even if they are the same resolution and frame rate.

I see this with source-direct out of the oppo. Something like the Apple TV which converts all video to the same refresh rate doesn't have this problem.
post #223 of 228 Unread 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Magenta Stripe on HD-750

I have an HD-750 I purchased new in Dec 2008 and it developed the dreaded magenta stripe in 2012 with only 1000 hours on it. After dialog with Mendtronix, I concluded it was not worth trying to get it repaired, so have lived with the stripe ever since using the mask feature. The stripe has now grown to the point where masking has become impractical, so I guess it has to go. I will never buy another JVC projector that's for sure. Sad 'cos my Elite pro monitor has developed the common red tint on blacks as well, so my video sources are all letting me down. So much for high end stuff. I wonder what the longevity is of the latest LG OLED panels??
post #224 of 228 Unread 05-09-2017, 09:31 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike A View Post
The input lag I refer to is for gaming. If you don't play video games on your projector then it's not an issue. I think the input/signal switching ( like switching from 24p to 60P and vice versa ) is still an issue even with the newer RSx20 series. Also the RSx20 has some CMD banding issues that are not as visible on the RS500, so if you used CMD at all or want to use it then the RS500 probably makes more sense.
you might want to check the CMD banding thread, according to this thread it does impact all recent JVC projector including RS500.
post #225 of 228 Unread 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxrb1 View Post
you might want to check the CMD banding thread, according to this thread it does impact all recent JVC projector including RS500.
The problem with CMD is far worse on the new x20 series, but, yes... if you want to use CMD this is a problem. It's interesting that MY problem with CMD and other frame creation systems is stuttering, like the processing doesn't have the horsepower to keep up. Both my RS500 and LG's 2016 OLED screens do this. But no one else seems to notice or care. I'm fortunate in that I hate the technology anyway.
post #226 of 228 Unread 05-09-2017, 09:57 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 6224 Post(s)
Liked: 4015
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Garrett
Quote:
I love my RS500 but the sync times are annoying. For a while we would miss the first 25 seconds of every movie and have to re-wind to see it.

(For people that use the projector for multiple sources and channel surfing or watching multiple short clips from a server or USB drive, it could be very annoying.)

We work around it by only watching long format stuff, and hitting pause during the sync so that we don't miss the start of a presentation.

With custom gamma curves installed, the only advantages I see on the newer model is low lag and auto selection for HDR.
nathan_h likes this.

mjgarrett100@gmail.com

My Baffle wall LCR build: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-di...-tpl-150h.html
post #227 of 228 Unread 05-10-2017, 12:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by redsars View Post
I have an HD-750 I purchased new in Dec 2008 and it developed the dreaded magenta stripe in 2012 with only 1000 hours on it....
I do not know if this has been said previously. I have had a similar experience with a Panasonic PJ and the cause of this magenta stripe was due to the displacement of a filter. Magenta is the absence of green color in that sector (see my avatar ), so the problem was on the green path. The filter (or polarizer) had moved and its dark frame obstructed the light in that sector (that's the magenta stripe). In my case I disassembled the projector and corrected the position of the polarizer (faulty adhesive). I do not know if the filter is on the sealed path of the JVC (then is not accessible). I hope I have helped. Regards.
post #228 of 228 Unread Today, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Interesting. Maybe your playback device keeps a constant signal at the same refresh and resolution rate for all sources and when changing streams?

I get the blank screen between FBI warning and menu. Between menu and feature. Etc.

And of course I get it when playing a folder of files of previews or test patterns between each file even if they are the same resolution and frame rate.

I see this with source-direct out of the oppo. Something like the Apple TV which converts all video to the same refresh rate doesn't have this problem.
I'm almost certain, he is watching 24p movies in 60p frame rate. That's why he doesn't encounter signal loss. I have my Oppo set on Source Direct and the menus are 50hZ and whenever I start any film, it has to sync again.
nathan_h likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Bravia 55 Inch Sxrd Kds 55a3000 Rear Projection Hdtv , Xbox 360 250gb Console With Kinect
Gear in this thread