Looking for advice on a theater room refresh -- thanks! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Have a dedicated theater room that has a back room with rear-projection Vidikron (forgot model off hand but was from 2001) that bounces off a mirror. The source component went out and the picture isn't that bright. So considering getting a replacement. Question to those who know way more than me: Should I have a front projector installed (a recommendation was the JVC DLAX75, my price range), or is there a rear- projection solution than doesn't require a projector hanging from the ceiling in the theater room? I also take it that todays projectors are much better than my Vidikron picture? Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 03:01 PM

If you can get wires to your ceiling I would say you are best off to get that route. If not you could table mount your projector and be just as fine if there are no dangers of the unit getting knocked over from kids or dogs. The investment of time, effort and money to roof mount is the route I would go if possible. Looks better in my opinion and has allot less clutter. Also after setting the unit up it is easy to maintain all your lens settings as you are not able to bump it as easy. I roof mounted mine which meant I had to cut a 5" wide strip out of the dry wall in my ceiling and ran conduit so I could easily pull wires as they change over time and also ran a dedicated power line and receptacle so I could easily hook my projector to a UPS hidden in a closet and allowed me to never have to worry about power outages. Got a taper in to mud the dry wall after I replaced the strip and with pot lights one would never be able to tell it was done.

I am a JVC fan, even tho I have had some issues, but be aware that 3D with JVC has issues. If a beautiful inky black 2D image is what you seek, they are the one. Also time will tell if the new bulbs and power supplies will fix some of the issues with dimming. The X75R and others from the current lineup are pretty new so we will see.

post #3 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 03:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 175
You're going to want to change your screen material if you want to go to the front projection route. Most of these projectors will work with folded optics (the mirror you have). If you want the cheapest upgrade stick with the folded optics. There are a few DLP projectors I'd take a look at too as it looks like they'll be in your price range as well. The Runco LS-5 is a great choice and warrants a look at if you have the chance to see one locally.

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #4 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for you reply. I had some concern as to how well the current sreeen worked with a front projector. Last question, so if I already have a dedicated back room with big honking mirror, then there are good projector solutions that I could put in the back room and not have to mess with hanging something from the ceiling in the theater room, why would the audio guy recommend installing a front hanging projector?
post #5 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 03:39 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your response. There actually is a dedicated back room that currently houses the Vidikron. Nobody goes back there. With that said, do you still recommend the front?
post #6 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

The issue has to do with the screen material you have. It isn't meant to be used with a projector hitting the front of it. You're going to want to change the screen you have out too if you want to use it with a projector hanging in the room hitting the front of the screen.

post #7 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Seegs,

Thanks again for your help -- I actually don't want to change the screen, nor mount a front projector, I just didn't know if they still made and sold projectors that can project off a mirror in the back room -- but I guess they do?
post #8 of 8 Old 01-17-2013, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Basically any current projector has the appropriate settings in their menu to cater a rear projection setup. All the projector has to do is electronically flip the video a certain way so the image looks the way it should. This is very similar to a front projection setup where the image needs to be electronically flipped upside down so the picture looks correct when ceiling mounted (ie the projector is 180 degrees on its back so the image coming out of the projector needs to be flipped back 180 degrees so the image looks normal and not upside down). Considering you already have the mirror setup all you'd need to do is replace the projector and set up the zoom properly so it fills your screen. I've never done a rear projection set up before but it sounds pretty straight forward. If you're worried about it being setup properly talk to your dealer as I'm sure they have the professional knowledge and experience to set it up the way it needs to be.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page