Sony HW50ES owners question - 3d quality HSBS and Ghosting - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey all,

I did not want to hijack the main owners thread so i thought i would just create this to see if anyone else was having similar issues.

In short, I am running a 3d H SBS movie through my home network, to my ps3 > receiver > projector and i am getting what i can only describe as a 3d picture with all the correct depth ( which is great ) but the quality of the image itself is just unwatchable.

for example, it looks like i am watching a 480i 3d movie... in Tangled, the girls face is just VERY smoothed over, past the point of 1080, past the point of even 720, i look at a rug that the green little guy walks on, normally i should see threading detail in the carpet, its just more or less blurred over and i wish i could attach a screen shot but it may not photograph well on my phone though maybe i can try later...

the Ghosting is OUT OF CONTROL... i can close one eye and i see the image for that eye, but i see a CONSTANT GHOST image with just one eye!! how is that even possible.. it sounds like the glasses are out of sync or something ?

i can put the glasses brightness on ANY number, NO EFFECT on ghosting, still stays just as terrible.

I am wanting to hear from any people who own this projector, who stream H SBS content from a ps3, media player, or HTPC, and can confirm what i am seeing or confirm if their picture resolution is just fine \ ghosting very minimal.

or if they also get a pretty crappy picture.

what i dont need to hear from, is if you stream 3d content through a 3d blu ray player, because i know right now that content will be just fine lol.... i JUST want ot hear about half side by side through some form of streaming from a file ( not 3d blue ray player )

i appreciate any input and i thank you all for taking the time to read this smile.gif I will post a picture later if i can though i do not know how well it will come out unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
The HW30 and HW50 are relatively weak at handling SBS content. They display full frame packed 3D much better than SBS.

as an FYI, the Epson 5010 and 5020 handle SBS noticeably better than the Sony.

3D DLP's are flawless with SBS content.
post #3 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 09:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
I have quite a bit of 3D SBS content and this took the Sony off my list. It is either DLP or the Epson for SBS content. This is something the reviews don't talk about. It isn't even discussed on Zombie's new Epson, Sony, JVC shootout thread -- i brought it up a couple of times. Maybe SBS content isn't watched very much.
post #4 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked: 297
Considering Blu-rays use frame packing I doubt there are a lot of users here who watch a lot of SBS content. Any SBS 3D content from a cable provider has always looked like garbage to me. Where are you guys getting all your SBS content from? I have a sneaking suspicion... eek.giftongue.gif

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Crazy Projector Journey
post #5 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 10:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked: 392
I'm not a fan of SBS even on the projectors that can handle it well.

3D framed packed, or I'd sooner watch it in 2D.
post #6 of 14 Old 01-18-2013, 11:53 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i heard also sony sucks with 3d games, right?
post #7 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 12:53 AM

Liked: 14
I see no ghosting with SBS material on my x35.Not even a bit.
Was sure i would.
post #8 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 01:42 AM

Liked: 11
I'm wondering, could it be the reason that sony doesn't produce perfect fullhd picture in 3D mode like it was noted on hdtvtest.co.uk site? This would mean that with hsbs material the picture would be even more jaggier and overall worse than it already is.
Quote:
It did not reproduce a full 1920×1080 image during our testing, failing to resolve discrete white and black 1-pixel transitions in our 3D frame-packed resolution test.

All the sbs videos are actually hsbs videos, which means that while the frame is 1920x1080 but the resolution is only 960x1080 for one eye and not 1920x1080 like in frame packed. Which begs the question, would sony show FULL sbs content properly or doesnt' it to need to be frame packed? As to my knowledge the difference is only that hsbs frame is 1920x1080, but frame packed and full sbs frame is 3840x1080.
post #9 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 09:39 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

I have quite a bit of 3D SBS content and this took the Sony off my list. It is either DLP or the Epson for SBS content. This is something the reviews don't talk about. It isn't even discussed on Zombie's new Epson, Sony, JVC shootout thread -- i brought it up a couple of times. Maybe SBS content isn't watched very much.

really wish someone would have commented about this for me to read before i brought the projector lol.... i am returning it next week... mainly due to this...
post #10 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

" frame packed and full sbs frame is 3840x1080. "

so is there a difference in what i see as FULL SIDE BY SIDE, and then the MVC format, frame packed ?
post #11 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 09:49 AM
Toe
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked: 531
As Zombie and Deja Vu mentioned, if you plan on doing a lot of SBS, the Epsons or a DLP are the only way to go right now it seems. There is an absolute night/day difference between watching SBS on my RS45 (and RS40 before it) vs my BenQ W7000. The DLP is flawless while the 40/45 was so ghost ridden it literally ruined the experience. One is very enjoyable and watchable with no visible flaws, the other is un-watchable.

JVC 3D: Been there, done that, bought a DLP
post #12 of 14 Old 01-19-2013, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter

not to change the course of the thread here by any means, but i have about 4 terms here maybe you guys can fully explain this

H SBS

Full SBS

MVC

Frame packed

now i understand some of these may be the same thing with two terms used. The HSBS content is terrible on this sony. Now i dont know if when i see FULL SBS if that is referring to MVC \ frame packed or not.

I am trying to find out which of these formats I can play without terrible ghosting on the Sony. is Full SBS the same as MVC \ Frame packed?

what confuses me about that is i have seen online ISO files which are full rips of the frame packed MVC 3d movie, then i also see FULL SBS which is set as an MKV file which i know MKV does not support the full resolution 1080 to each eye. Little confusing maybe someone can sum that up once and for all ?
post #13 of 14 Old 01-20-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

curious if anyone with the Sony 50ES can comment on this as i am trying to determine if i have a defective unit

when in 3d mode, HSBS or Frame packed doesnt matter

if you pause on a scene that has clear ghosting around any part of the picture, if you close one eye at a time... does one of your eyes see its frames image, AND the constant ghost image while the other eye does not see it?

for me when i try this, one eye sees a constant ghost image while the other does not, i have tried both glasses so i am not real sure if it is my projector somehow or not and am trying to figure that out. Any comments are appreciated, thanks guys.
post #14 of 14 Old 01-21-2013, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by tothjm View Post

curious if anyone with the Sony 50ES can comment on this as i am trying to determine if i have a defective unit

when in 3d mode, HSBS or Frame packed doesnt matter

if you pause on a scene that has clear ghosting around any part of the picture, if you close one eye at a time... does one of your eyes see its frames image, AND the constant ghost image while the other eye does not see it?

for me when i try this, one eye sees a constant ghost image while the other does not, i have tried both glasses so i am not real sure if it is my projector somehow or not and am trying to figure that out. Any comments are appreciated, thanks guys.

I don't think you have a defective unit. The Sony 30 had all kinds of problems with SBS 3D content so it hardly comes as a surprise that the 50 can't handle it. Get a DLP or an Epson for SBS stuff.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Hw50es 3d Projector , Sony Vpl Hw30es 300 Inch 1080p Front Projector , Epson 5010 Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page