Rear projector room with long throw high output projector - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am building a 17' X 24' theater with a distance of 22' from the back wall to the screen. I was thinking of doing a projecion window at the back of the room vs, ceiling mount. I was thinking 120" - 140" wide 2.25: 1. Screen. Does anyone know a projector bright enough and able to throw that screen size at that distance? I was thinking of using an A lens vs. zoom but not sure if the throw of the projector will allos this. Anyone try this at their home theater?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I started down this path once. I determined that the projection room must be nearly as large as the viewing room (unless you like 1st surface mirrors). You can do it a few other ways, but I am simplistic. The kicker was that I felt I had to the totally black out the rear projection room. You do get some slack on the viewing side of the screen. Using up another full size room messed with my enthusiasm. I will follow your efforts with curiosity. Best of luck.

Sony G90-->D-ILA--> LCD-->Vango LED DLP
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

I should clarify. Not rear projection. I will have a window at the back of the room and project from the rear behind the viewers. Distance from lens to screen 22 feet.
post #4 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 07:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnymenudo View Post

I am building a 17' X 24' theater with a distance of 22' from the back wall to the screen. I was thinking of doing a projecion window at the back of the room vs, ceiling mount. I was thinking 120" - 140" wide 2.25: 1. Screen. Does anyone know a projector bright enough and able to throw that screen size at that distance? I was thinking of using an A lens vs. zoom but not sure if the throw of the projector will allos this. Anyone try this at their home theater?

A little more info is needed.

Is the room fully light controlled and will it be a "bat cave" for movie viewing or must you have some room lights (either through widows or room lighting)?

What will be the seating arrangement (i.e., one row or two rows? distance from screen to first row? etc.)

Are you interested in 3D or is your interest limited to 2D?

What is upper limit on the price of the projector (or projector + A-lens) you are willing to purchase?

You really need to decide if you want to use an A lens or not (some projectors directly support this and some do not). It will add perhaps $3K to the cost.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #5 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jones View Post

A little more info is needed.

Is the room fully light controlled and will it be a "bat cave" for movie viewing or must you have some room lights (either through widows or room lighting)?

What will be the seating arrangement (i.e., one row or two rows? distance from screen to first row? etc.)

Are you interested in 3D or is your interest limited to 2D?

What is upper limit on the price of the projector (or projector + A-lens) you are willing to purchase?

You really need to decide if you want to use an A lens or not (some projectors directly support this and some do not). It will add perhaps $3K to the cost.

thanks for the response.

Bat cave. Complete light control.

Unsure of exact seating distance, but I am planning two rows of seats and in the back of the room a bar type arrangement with 3-4 barstools. I am guesstimating the from viewing position, front row at 10 or so, middle row at 15-16, bar stool row at 19.

2D a priority, unsure about 3D.

My dealer wants to sell me the new Sony 4k for $14,000 but I don't want to be the early adopter and pay the price. I was hoping to find a projector for less than $5000 plus the cost of the lens.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 06:21 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 290 Post(s)
Liked: 404
The VW1000ES can do the 120" wide from your 22' throw. Not many projectors can shoot that small (51" high) of an image from 22'. That is the height of the 120" wide 2.35. The JVC's can do it with a 130" wide image. The throw ratio of 2.7 will work well with many A-lens. Currently there are a couple A-lens sales going on, please call for details. The VW1000ES is also bright enough to do this without a lens, as long as you get a screen with a little gain, like ST130.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Brands we sell: 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2013, 08:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 177
The JVC projectors from a throw distance of 22 ft. and with the zoom set to minimum will produce a 110" diagonal 16x9. This is a screen height of about 54" and if you want a 2:35:1 screen that is 54" high that would correspond one that is about 135 inches diagonal. So if that size screen (or larger) works for you then the JVC projectors, such as the DLA-RS48, could be used. These work well with a moderate gain screen such as the Stewart's using the ST130 fabric. The Epsons, eg. 6020, project a similar size image as the JVC at their minimum zoom setting. The JVC with its lens memory is an option to fill your scope screen for 2:35:1 movies without the A-lens or an A-Lens (similar to THIS ONE listed for use with the Epson 6020) can use used with either projector to fill the scope screen.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page