Spend $7500 on a new Projector. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok, so that probably got some attention. I have to... Have to spend more than $7500 on a new projector. Why so specific? I have just had the insurance company pay out on my Marquee 9500L/C with Mike parker mods, as a complete loss. The check will never be issued. The funds must be equal to or more than $7500 or it is just lost as they will only pay direct to vendor.

So I am looking for a replacement projector with a street price of over $7500, not MSRP, but , street price.

My choices are Runco Q-750 LED. Runco LS-5 DLP. JVC x95.

I realize the LS-5 does not meet my criteria but I have seen it and the 'Q" in person and liked them both very much. I have never seen a JVC in person.

I am willing to add some funds to make up the difference if , the street price is slightly and I mean less than $1000 slightly.

I could just buy another CRT, the picture was just that good, a little dim but really good, but I think its time to move on.

Just in case we need specifics, screen 120" diagonal 1.3 gain, completely light controlled dedicated room.

Have at it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 04:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by dturco View Post

Ok, so that probably got some attention. I have to... Have to spend more than $7500 on a new projector. Why so specific? I have just had the insurance company pay out on my Marquee 9500L/C with Mike parker mods, as a complete loss. The check will never be issued. The funds must be equal to or more than $7500 or it is just lost as they will only pay direct to vendor.

So I am looking for a replacement projector with a street price of over $7500, not MSRP, but , street price.

My choices are Runco Q-750 LED. Runco LS-5 DLP. JVC x95.

I realize the LS-5 does not meet my criteria but I have seen it and the 'Q" in person and liked them both very much. I have never seen a JVC in person.

I am willing to add some funds to make up the difference if , the street price is slightly and I mean less than $1000 slightly.

I could just buy another CRT, the picture was just that good, a little dim but really good, but I think its time to move on.

Just in case we need specifics, screen 120" diagonal 1.3 gain, completely light controlled dedicated room.

Have at it.

Coming from a Marquee you will probably be happiest with the JVC since it has black levels that best approach CRT levels and the eshift on all current JVC's (except entry level models) does a great job at providing a film look.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Try to look for a X90, which is the flagship model last year to get the best blacks
post #4 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
I would recommend checking out either the LS-5 or the Q750i. Both are basically the same machine except one is LED driven and the other is lamp based with a mechanical dynamic iris. Both use the same video processing and have the same internal optical path. The LS-5 can drive larger screens and is an excellent DLP machine overall. DLP definitely has more pop to the picture and should look sharper than the JVC projectors due to excellent optics, no chance of convergence issues and both Runco's use the larger DLP DMD. If you're looking to get the best black levels out there JVC is the way to go, though the LS-5 and Q750i aren't slouches either (they are the best for DLP when on/off ratio's are concerned).
post #5 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 05:58 PM

Get the x95/rs66. Price is very much in range. Picture I'd the best I have ever seen on a projector,
post #6 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I just re-read my post, and I may have been obtuse and caused some confusion. I am not limited on what I buy, I just put out 3 projectors I thought were good. I can buy anything, commercial, refurbished, new, anything that meets the dollar amount.

Did I confuse myself here or was my post misleading?

Anyway thanks.
post #7 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Special Member

I own a Runco Ls-5 and a NuVision ProVu P2 (basically a rebranded Vivitek H9080FD which is the same as Runco Q750i) I've also owned three JVC units. Trust me when I say both Runco's give the JVC a run for the money. In fact I prefer the look of both DLP machines over the look of the JVC machines even though they have less on/off contrast. If you have the means, demo all three.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

I have seen the Q-750 and the LS-5. Both are really nice machines with a great picture. I liked them both. The Q-750 had a phenomenal picture, I really did like it a lot. The Ls-5 also had a great picture but the black level was elevated due to the set-up , I am sure it was boosted on purpose, and could have had a better low level if it had been set -up more diligently. I am working on seeing a JVC RS55 in the coming week.

Are there any other machines worth consideration? Or Have I [We] narrowed it done that good to just these?
post #9 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I'd go for a JVC RS66 in that price range.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #10 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 106
I came from the identical CRT projector (with the same Parker mods) and now have last years JVC RS55. As someone said, the blacks are amazing and the picture is way more than bright enough.

Out of the box it has a great picture and have it calibrated (or do it yourself) and you will be more than pleased!
post #11 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioguy View Post

I came from the identical CRT projector (with the same Parker mods) and now have last years JVC RS55. As someone said, the blacks are amazing and the picture is way more than bright enough.

Out of the box it has a great picture and have it calibrated (or do it yourself) and you will be more than pleased!

The RS55 must look excellent in your setup. I recently blacked out my room and the 55 looks better than ever. It really needs a dark room to show off.

The 55/65 was popular with CRT 'converts' last year. It's likely due to the e-shift re-creating the smooth analog look. Is that a fair guess?
post #12 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM
AVS Special Member

When you see the RS55 please report back here about what you think. I'm curious to see your reaction and your comparison of all three.
post #13 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

if they're not all in the same environment, it's going to be hard to compare.
post #14 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Considering he was aware of the deficiencies when viewing the LS-5, he seems to be competent enough to give a demo more (or less) sympathy depending on the room/scenario. Either way, I'm still curious about what he thinks.
post #15 of 37 Old 01-21-2013, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

@ dturco - Is your room light treated where the CRT was located?
post #16 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 04:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
@dturco -Personally, I'd go for the Q750 if I had light control. No bulb aging or replacement concerns, instant power on, DLP pop and sharpness (or appearance thereof depending on various technical arguments on here), no rainbows, reference grey-scale and colour. Definitely demo an X90, it will have better blacks and that may clinch it for you. Let us know which one you prefer

post #17 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

@ dturco - Is your room light treated where the CRT was located?

Yes, completely light controlled, the window is treated with a blind, then a shade, then heavy backed drapes. The walls and ceiling are a dark mocha, the carpet purple-ish. the seats are black, and the lights themselves are recessed at the screen area, and the other fixtures are behind the seating area, and are controlled by an RTI remote.

Did I pass muster?wink.gif
post #18 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 06:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, completely light controlled, the window is treated with a blind, then a shade, then heavy backed drapes. The walls and ceiling are a dark mocha, the carpet purple-ish. the seats are black, and the lights themselves are recessed at the screen area, and the other fixtures are behind the seating area, and are controlled by an RTI remote.

Did I pass muster?wink.gif

the reason I asked is traditionally CRT owners have been obsessed with extreme on/off (ie: my analog black floor is better than your digital black floor)... smile.gif

Sometimes they are disappointed by the digital offerings with JVC being about as close as it can get for native contrast.

KAL is a good person to PM since he is a CRT guru who just switched to an X75.

Let us know what decision you went with after seeing the various models.
post #19 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Hah, I fell for that Ultimate black floor when I started with CRT. I also know Kal, [well know in the sense I am a regular lifetime member on Curt's CRT site] and have read his impressions on the JVC. Until I see a JVC in person, my inclinations are to go with the LS-5 and do CIH...on a larger screen, with an A lense to boot. Which of course blows the $7500 and I have to pony up some more cash.

I digress, The ultimate black level is no longer my search, decent, good blacks, are fine. What is important is motion resolution, smooth pans and film like look.

Then bigger screen, A lense, Oh wait, off on a tangent again.

I am surprised though that the price range between 12-15 k has so few offering of a unique nature. It looks like a hole, than over 20K gets really NICE.
post #20 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 07:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Motion, sharpness and depth is what failed for me with JVC. I watch sports sometimes and with the JVC is wasn't as good as I wanted and at that point it doesn't matter how good the blacks are. Blacks are very very good on the other projector you mentioned so it's not like you will be missing anything.
post #21 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I digress, The ultimate black level is no longer my search, decent, good blacks, are fine. What is important is motion resolution, smooth pans and film like look.

That's what you'll find with the LS-5 fore sure. It's one of the only DLP models I've seen that puts out a very calm look. It doesn't look "digital" in the slightest.
post #22 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Mtdking, have you seen this years JVCs? Motion is taken care of and I feel my 4810 is as sharp (with movies, not text) as my Samsung sp-a800b was. Depth seems enhanced as well
post #23 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

Mtdking, have you seen this years JVCs? Motion is taken care of and I feel my 4810 is as sharp (with movies, not text) as my Samsung sp-a800b was. Depth seems enhanced as well

No but I owned the RS60 and did a home demo with the RS65. Both were exactly the same and I couldn't tell them apart.
post #24 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I guess with my situation going from a Rs40 that was practically unwatchable on quite a bit of material to a 4810 which is quite smooth the difference was amazing. I agree that a all is still going to handle motion better than a lcos
post #25 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

That is a DLP is going to handle motion better (iPhone changes of spelling)
post #26 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler View Post

I guess with my situation going from a Rs40 that was practically unwatchable on quite a bit of material to a 4810 which is quite smooth the difference was amazing. I agree that a all is still going to handle motion better than a lcos

Is that with e-shift on only? Or is motion still better with e-shift off compared to the RS40. I've heard mixed reports saying that e-shift is the real culprit that allows motion to "look" better.
post #27 of 37 Old 01-22-2013, 07:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdking View Post

No but I owned the RS60 and did a home demo with the RS65. Both were exactly the same and I couldn't tell them apart.

what are you replacing the Q-750i with?
post #28 of 37 Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well to wrap this thread up, I have decided to get the Runco LS-5 with the McKinley Anamorphic lens. This also means I needed a new screen, so I went with a Stewart 50 x 117.5 wide, 2.35 screen. I never did get around to seeing the JVC...it just became a moot point. I couldn't afford to do the Q-750, which has a screen size limitation factor to consider, and the JVC, was in all honesty, just too common. So I decided to be different and get the Runco 2.35 set-up, to stay just a step outside of normal, where I like it.

Plus I really did like the LS-5 picture's look and feel and decided to not work myself over and just go with what I've always wanted to do ...Scope.

Thanks for all of the help,I'll see you in the CIH threads.
post #29 of 37 Old 01-24-2013, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

You aren't going to be disappointed. There's a reason this projector in it's two forms has been selling for 6 years now (and is continuing to sell). The McKinley Lens is a fantastic choice. Which Stewart screen material did you end up going with?
post #30 of 37 Old 01-24-2013, 07:29 PM - Thread Starter

You know what I'm not sure exactly, I think its the Ultramatte 130, or could have been the Studiotek 130? There was a lot of back and forth on which screen it would be and it came down to price. Whichever one it was it's the less expensive version/ model that Stewart currently offers.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X95r , Runco Ls 5 Projector , Jvc Dla Rs66 , Jvc Dla Rs55 Bundle

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page