Best alternative to JVC? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Since my 3-year old JVC DLA-RS25 developed the dreaded color stripe late last year, I’ve decided it’s time to purchase a new projector. At first I was planning on going big and getting a DLA-X95, but am troubled by the fact that no one knows if this discoloration problem is only on older models, or if the threat is still there on current or even future models. I have a budget of $9000 but need a projector that can be shelf-mounted, has a 2x zoom and some vertical/horizontal lens shift. I’m all about a film-like image and 3D is not important to me. Also, I have a dedicated home theatre room. I really want a sealed light path after being frustrated by two Panasonic projectors that developed dust blobs every 3 months like clockwork. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I being too concerned about going with JVC again?

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirJohnFalstaff View Post

Since my 3-year old JVC DLA-RS25 developed the dreaded color stripe late last year, I’ve decided it’s time to purchase a new projector. At first I was planning on going big and getting a DLA-X95, but am troubled by the fact that no one knows if this discoloration problem is only on older models, or if the threat is still there on current or even future models. I have a budget of $9000 but need a projector that can be shelf-mounted, has a 2x zoom and some vertical/horizontal lens shift. I’m all about a film-like image and 3D is not important to me. Also, I have a dedicated home theatre room. I really want a sealed light path after being frustrated by two Panasonic projectors that developed dust blobs every 3 months like clockwork. Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I being too concerned about going with JVC again?

Probably the Sony VW95 would be your best alternative to JVC. It's well under your $9K limit and uses Sony's own LCoS technology (similar to that used in the JVC projectors). This is now a year old model and Sony has not yet announced a replacement, but one will likely be coming out sometime later this year. Of course Sony's flagship consumer projector is the VPL-VW1000 which is a true 4K Ultra HD model that has 4 times the pixels of 1080p projectors. Overall the VW1000 is a step up from the JVC projectors as well as Sony's own flagship 1080p model (i.e, VW95). However the VW1000 is well above your $9K price range ($25K MSRP).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #3 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

SirJohnFalstaff

Be aware that 95ES zoom is "only" 1.6:1, while the flagship 1000ES has a zoom of 2.1:1

dj
post #4 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Yes, I'm aware of Sony's zoom. I can't use anything less that 2x, I think. My projector needs to be 19.5 feet from a 118 inch screen. I have a feeling that I don't have a lot of options.

"Not throwing my hands up or my dress above my ears don't mean I ain't awestruck." Al Swearengen

post #5 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:42 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Have you thought about an LED DLP projector? (Q750, Vango, DPI CIneLED etc.), there are deals to be found for under $9k. Although, I am not sure what kind of brightness, screen size and throw distance you need and whether they would work for you. Black levels won't be as good as the Sony or a JVC but are still very good. If you can, I would certainly demo one if possible, you may still prefer the look of LCOS though. I sound like a broken record but if I had a light controlled setup, I'd go LED. If and when ex-demo/used brighter models (DPI Dvision 35, M150) become more affordable I will probably trade up.

EDIT: just saw the above post, there a re lens options for the throw distance but not sure if they would be bright enough, you may want to ask other owners if looking into them

post #6 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 171
Quote:

Yes, I'm aware of Sony's zoom. I can't use anything less that 2x, I think. My projector needs to be 19.5 feet from a 118 inch screen. I have a feeling that I don't have a lot of options.

You actually have a ton of options. Look here:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projectors.cfm?g=1&hide=0&st=1&mfg=&p=&w=&r=13&br=&ll=&t=&db=&dt=&c=&ar=&dvi=&pjl=&pjw=&pjh=&td=19.5&i=d&is=118&oop=1&sort=pop&sz=15

------------------------------------

Look What AVS Made Me Do!
post #7 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

For a 118" (diagonal 16x9) screen the VW95 has a max. throw distance of 18' 2" so you are correct that the VW95 would not work in your case, where you need a 19.5 ft. throw distance. On lower priced projectors the Epson 5020 and 6020 have a almost exactly the same zoom range and throw distance as the JVC projectors. From what you have said about your setup it is not the 2X zoom ratio that is the critical thing, rather it is getting a projector that has the right throw distance for your screen size. For example the now discontinued Mitsubishi HC9000D uses the Sony LCoS chips and has a 1.8X zoom lens that can fill a 118" screen with a throw distance anywhere from just over 13 ft. all the way out to 24 ft.. The new Mits HC5D (brochure is HERE) is replacing the HC9000D and still uses the Sony LCoS (SXRD) chips. It's priced well under your price limit and much less then the original price on the HC9000D or the Sony VW95. I don't know for certain if it still supports the same throw distrance range as the earlier model but it appears to have the same 1.8X zoom lens and probably has the same throw numbers as before.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #8 of 9 Old 01-23-2013, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 271
Quote:

I’m all about a film-like image and 3D is not important to me. Also, I have a dedicated home theatre room.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Or am I being too concerned about going with JVC again?

The RS25 is now 4 generations old. The entire chassis and optical block were updated in 2010 with the RS40/50/60 series.

While you may find plenty of gripes about the early lamps JVC was using in this chassis, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a single instance of someone claiming the same issue with the color stripe on the newer models.

There are countless 'new chassis' JVC owners on this forum and this isn't a topic of conversation for these newer models.

I would make an effort to check out the new models or look for a good price on a closeout RS55/X70. With the e-shift, it doesn't get more 'film-like' in this price category.

I understand being upset about the RS25 as I know how much these were new. I don't think you need to spend 9K to exceed the PQ of your RS25 with models like the current X55 and X75.
post #9 of 9 Old 01-25-2013, 06:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

The RS25 is now 4 generations old. The entire chassis and optical block were updated in 2010 with the RS40/50/60 series.

While you may find plenty of gripes about the early lamps JVC was using in this chassis, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a single instance of someone claiming the same issue with the color stripe on the newer models.

There are countless 'new chassis' JVC owners on this forum and this isn't a topic of conversation for these newer models.

I would make an effort to check out the new models or look for a good price on a closeout RS55/X70. With the e-shift, it doesn't get more 'film-like' in this price category.

I understand being upset about the RS25 as I know how much these were new. I don't think you need to spend 9K to exceed the PQ of your RS25 with models like the current X55 and X75.

Thanks for that advice. You've really given me something to consider. I'm starting to seriously look at the X75 more and more. I was considering the X95 because I was given 2 quotes that put it at about $800.00 more than what I paid for the RS25 3 years ago. However if I go with an X75, I'd be able to upgrade my Denon 3808 AVR to an Anthem MRX 700. The two together would cost about the same as an X95. Art over at ProjectorReviews has both units. I'll be watching for his reviews in the next couple weeks. Only the new Mitsubishi comes close to having the features I need, but I still feel like I'd be trading down from a JVC. And as for the stripe issue being a problem with the newer models, you're right about that--let's just hope it's just hasn't been long enough for it to start occuring. The big tell, though, is the simple fact that there doesn't appear to be hundreds and hundreds of people with the issue here.

Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw95es Full Hd 3d Home Cinema Projector , Mitsubishi Hc9000d 3d 1080p Lcd Projector , Jvc Dla X95r
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page