Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 37 Old 01-28-2013, 02:52 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 153
@Seegs
Actually there are advantages/disadvantages to each, but of course the Benq is the better projector. The Viewsonic has better color uncalibrated, post-calibration they are ALMOST color equal except the Benq does have a more refined image and a tad cleaner. The Viewsonic has DC 3 and it does support an anamorphic lens. The Viewsonic has a superior color wheel over the Benq (Benq's 6x CW mode is useless due to noise), and the Viewsonic's bulbs cost less. I just said for casual 2D viewing I am not sure I'd spend 3x more on the Benq over the Viewsonic given the price difference, I have both PJ's right here atm. In most peoples' calibrations, the Benq does not have much better blacks than the VS, that is until they go into the service menu of the Benq. I do love the configurability and customizability of the Benq's service menu, it is very good. The biggest difference between these two projectors, is the Benq is much sharper in HTPC, and the Benq's IRIS can be used like a manual IRIS (which I found worth the difference now that I use it that way).

@coug
Post in the Pro8200 thread or read the VS calibration thread. Some of my Benq vs. Viewsonic review was preliminary and I am still A/B'n and updating. The CMS of the 8200 is not for the faint of heart, you must know how to get around its QUIRKS, it takes at least 2 hours of moving the Hue,Sat,Gain to get the gamut accurate, because there are very tough bugs in the Viewsonic CMS. We documented these issues in the VS calibration thread, as well as how to get around them. Once you figure out the quirky directional bugs of the CMS, then you should be able to get the gamut near perfect.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 Old 07-19-2014, 04:25 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Anything new from Samsung in the projector dept?. because I bought their latest 4k 55 inch TV and I am pretty impressed with it.
post #33 of 37 Old 07-20-2014, 01:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked: 317
I don't think we'll see anything new. I think the only reason they made a DLP projector like this was because it had Joe Kane's name behind it. The quality of the lens and calibration suite really set this projector apart from most other DLP projectors. The closest thing in image quality is the probably the Planar PD8150 which is now being sold under the Runco name as the LS-5.

Last edited by Seegs108; 07-20-2014 at 09:34 AM.
post #34 of 37 Old 07-20-2014, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 589
I agree. its greatest weakness vs its many strengths is a rather poor implementation of the dynamic iris. The contrast does take a leap up when using it substantially improving the blacks but its operation under many conditions is noticeable with pumping and the gray scale is adversely affected as it is with every DI implementation. Its all in all is an extremely good projector with a great great great lens. replacement bulbs are inexpensive, and calibration is simplistic provided one has a very accurate meter. All science and no art with its automated calibration.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #35 of 37 Old 07-20-2014, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post
replacement bulbs are inexpensive, and calibration is simplistic provided one has a very accurate meter. All science and no art with its automated calibration.
Almost none of the bulbs are sold with the housing included. including those bulbs from Samsung. So while the bulbs are cheap <110$, you have to manually change the housing. It does throw a pretty picture.
post #36 of 37 Old 07-20-2014, 05:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 589
It takes little skill to install a new bulb in the cage, You need to not touch the bulb with your skin.

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #37 of 37 Old 07-23-2014, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's ****ing annoying that every ones avatar is the same ..
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Samsung Sp A900b Dlp Projector 1080p
Gear in this thread - A900b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page