OPTOMA HD91 FULL LED DLP full hd 2D 3D Ready end 2013 - Page 40 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1171 of 1227 Old 04-24-2014, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Yeah... Didn't know you can review projectors in a room like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1172 of 1227 Old 04-24-2014, 01:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 203
Quote:
Yeah... Didn't know you can review projectors in a room like this.

You can, just don't expect a reference quality review. 'Cause you aren't going to get a reference quality picture in that room.
ellisr63 likes this.

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #1173 of 1227 Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
A very simple question to kraine or anyone else who has or had this projector. Does zoom adjusting require refocusing? I hope everyone knows that it does not have to be that way, even though it can be.
post #1174 of 1227 Old 04-25-2014, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-2Admirer View Post

A very simple question to kraine or anyone else who has or had this projector. Does zoom adjusting require refocusing? I hope everyone knows that it does not have to be that way, even though it can be.

you will likely want to tweak the focus after adjusting the zoom. it does seem to get thrown off a bit during the zoom change.
post #1175 of 1227 Old 04-25-2014, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

you will likely want to tweak the focus after adjusting the zoom. it does seem to get thrown off a bit during the zoom change.
Well, all those "likelies" and "seemabits" cancel out any usefulness the quoted post could possibly have. Surely my question could be answered with a simple Yes or No.
post #1176 of 1227 Old 04-25-2014, 09:42 AM
AVS Special Member

ok, the answer is yes you will have to adjust it. If this is a problem, this isn't the projector for you.

btw, I said likely because the focus is still close after the changes. Some people might be ok with this, but I would want a perfect focus whenever changing the zoom.
post #1177 of 1227 Old 04-26-2014, 12:14 AM

Interesting. In that case, suppose I focused, zoomed in or out and then returned the zoom ring to the original position. Will the image be in focus again?
post #1178 of 1227 Old 04-26-2014, 01:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Anyone want to trade this against my HW55ES?
post #1179 of 1227 Old 04-26-2014, 05:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
A few questions...

1. Is the 3D 144hz?

2. How is the 3D? (Typical 3D, no ghosting)?

3. How is the 2D to 3D conversion? I know not everyone likes 3d, even more 2d to 3d conversion but hey I might.

4. How does it handle motion? Since its LED is there any difference vs traditional color wheel?

5. Weaknesses/Issues?
post #1180 of 1227 Old 04-27-2014, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

A few questions...

1. Is the 3D 144hz?

3. How is the 2D to 3D conversion? I know not everyone likes 3d, even more 2d to 3d conversion but hey I might.

4. How does it handle motion? Since its LED is there any difference vs traditional color wheel?

5. Weaknesses/Issues?

Typical 3D on just about any non-DLP projector includes some ghosting.

Your questions are ones any "real" review, in my opinion, should cover; however, pretty much most do not mention the 3D aspects of a projector. What if a review only covered the 3D qualities of a projector and didn't even mention 2D? There would be a huge outcry about how useless and out of touch the review was. That's pretty much how I feel about most reviews that don't or hardly touch on the 3D abilities that these projectors have to offer.
post #1181 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 09:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB View Post

So if you are Optoma how do you fix this? Can a fix be accomplished with firmware changes? I would hate to see them offer this potential great solution and not be able to tweak it to at least meet >average blacks and contrast.

It's plausible to fix the DI, that's an algorithm (software) and since they're just modulating the LEDs, there'd be no mechanical limitations. But the native contrast is a function of the light engine, short of changing the light engine, it is what it is.

See what an anamorphoscopic lens can do, see movies the way they were meant to be seen
post #1182 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 09:44 AM
cwt
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

A few questions...

1. Is the 3D 144hz?

Like deja vu said more comprehensive 3d info would be appreciated in reviews ; 1 review had this tidbit
Quote:
When it comes to 3D, image quality was quite good. The HD91 uses either radio-frequency or DLP Link synchronization at a refresh rate of 144 Hz, which means little crosstalk or ghosting.

So like some benq's its 144hz smile.gif And being dlp hasn't the ghosting problems of certain other techs wink.gif
post #1183 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post

Typical 3D on just about any non-DLP projector includes some ghosting.

Your questions are ones any "real" review, in my opinion, should cover; however, pretty much most do not mention the 3D aspects of a projector. What if a review only covered the 3D qualities of a projector and didn't even mention 2D? There would be a huge outcry about how useless and out of touch the review was. That's pretty much how I feel about most reviews that don't or hardly touch on the 3D abilities that these projectors have to offer.

But isn't the light engine a sub assembly sourced from TI. If so, then it should be the same base to work from as all of the other DLP projectors. Many of the other ones have better blacks and contrast.

Jack
post #1184 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

But isn't the light engine a sub assembly sourced from TI. If so, then it should be the same base to work from as all of the other DLP projectors. Many of the other ones have better blacks and contrast.

The HD91 is a DLP so the 3D should be ghost-free; however, it probably isn't very bright, which is an obvious negative. For some reason (maybe the 3D glasses) Kaine found ghosting with the Benq 7500, which is a DLP. It doesn't look like all DLP 3D rojectors are ghost-free, which has contrary to my experience (I have 6 3D DLP projectors).

I think the low contrast and poor black levels are due to an ineffective Dynamic Black mode (supposedly blacks and apparent contrast are much better with it on but there is too much obvious pumping). IMO, most DLP projectors need some sort of iris system to achieve decent blacks and contrast (on/off). A good DI might have solved this problem for the HD91.

Here's the review of the 7500, which talks about the ghosting. Kraine says: "...curiously for a DLP image of BenQ W7500 n is not free of ghosting and if the contrast is enhanced by the type of glass used by the manufacturer in his glasses, he is also accompanied by a significant loss in brightness."

http://translate.google.fr/translate?sl=fr&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=fr&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.projection-homecinema.fr%2F2014%2F03%2F27%2Fbenq-w7500-test-du-projecteur%2F
post #1185 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:

That isn't how it works. TI has white papers to help manufacturers design light engines around DLP technology but TI does not design them. The only thing that comes from TI are the DMDs. Companies like BenQ, Delta, and Atlas work with companies to design and then manufacture light engines and projectors. But TI has little to no hand in it whatsoever.
ellisr63 likes this.
post #1186 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 07:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

"I think the low contrast and poor black levels are due to an ineffective Dynamic Black mode (supposedly blacks and apparent contrast are much better with it on but there is too much obvious pumping). IMO, most DLP projectors need some sort of iris system to achieve decent blacks and contrast (on/off). A good DI might have solved this problem for the HD91."

Like some of you all following this post I have several projectors. Two of them are examples of the two different technologies. One is a Sharpvision XV=Z20000, a DLP. The other is a JVC RS40. The JVC has significantly better contrast and blacks. The Sharp has less contrast and blacks but better colors. Also, it never breaks. The JVC; just read the owners thread. One problem after another. Think about it for a minute. Then think some more. What would you rather have? I guarantee that you will go for the reliability every time. I have.

BTW, I also have a Samsung 67" LED RPTV. I've had it for about five years. It never changes in brightness and the colors haven't moved a degree. That's what makes this HD91 so intriguing. Maybe the blacks and contrast aren't the greatest but if it is reliable then not having to deal with the changing brightness and colors is worth it's weight in gold. After a while you won't notice the lesser blacks.

Jack
post #1187 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

For some reason (maybe the 3D glasses) Kaine found ghosting with the Benq 7500, which is a DLP. It doesn't look like all DLP 3D rojectors are ghost-free, which has contrary to my experience (I have 6 3D DLP projectors).

I guess that bad timing between projector and glasses is the reason to see ghosting with DLP projector.

The thing that I love to those BitCauldron clones 3D glasses (like Optoma's), is that I can adjust the delay and achieve perfect timing.
post #1188 of 1227 Old 04-28-2014, 11:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstas View Post

I guess that bad timing between projector and glasses is the reason to see ghosting with DLP projector.

The thing that I love to those BitCauldron clones 3D glasses (like Optoma's), is that I can adjust the delay and achieve perfect timing.

That can be part of it but normally anything out of sync can be fixed with better 3D glasses systems, but more importantly it has to do with a panel's response time. This response time is a measure of how fast a panel can go from one value to another and then back to that original value again. DLP is literally 125 times faster than the best LCDs out there at doing this. Because the panel can essentially reset 125 times faster it can keep in sync with the glasses to show you which eye image you're supposed to see any any given time. Ghosting is a part of the other image you're not supposed to see. Like I mentioned before, this is because the panels can't keep up.
post #1189 of 1227 Old 04-29-2014, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

"I think the low contrast and poor black levels are due to an ineffective Dynamic Black mode (supposedly blacks and apparent contrast are much better with it on but there is too much obvious pumping). IMO, most DLP projectors need some sort of iris system to achieve decent blacks and contrast (on/off). A good DI might have solved this problem for the HD91."

Like some of you all following this post I have several projectors. Two of them are examples of the two different technologies. One is a Sharpvision XV=Z20000, a DLP. The other is a JVC RS40. The JVC has significantly better contrast and blacks. The Sharp has less contrast and blacks but better colors. Also, it never breaks. The JVC; just read the owners thread. One problem after another. Think about it for a minute. Then think some more. What would you rather have? I guarantee that you will go for the reliability every time. I have.

BTW, I also have a Samsung 67" LED RPTV. I've had it for about five years. It never changes in brightness and the colors haven't moved a degree. That's what makes this HD91 so intriguing. Maybe the blacks and contrast aren't the greatest but if it is reliable then not having to deal with the changing brightness and colors is worth it's weight in gold. After a while you won't notice the lesser blacks.

I respect your opinion and there's a lot of merit to it; however, there are other options out here that I believe are better than the HD91. I suspect that we'll very soon have a number of laser and LED projectors available at or below $5,000 that will satisfy your needs. I presently own several projectors, one of which is a non lamp based 1080p 2D/3D DLP projector that I use for everyday general use. It's built like a tank, has a great lens shift system, is constantly on and off all day long and has racked up more hours in a couple of months than several of my other projectors have accumulated in several years of use. It's as close to plug and play as I've seen yet and it produces ghost-free and clean 3D. I simply use it and forget about it -- it has become my go to display since it does the heavy lifting with ease and with no worries or complaints.
post #1190 of 1227 Old 04-30-2014, 06:13 PM

In case anyone else is considering the HD90 via import:

D-NEXUS expects my HD90 to move through customs and to their warehouse on May 5th. They will do some basic testing on it to ensure it works and then it will be sent my way via FedEx. They were going to ship DHL but they didn't make any issues out of switching to FedEx upon my request for the same price.

So far so good with D-NEXUS, they responded to all my emails in a timely manner.
post #1191 of 1227 Old 05-01-2014, 05:44 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:

I respect your opinion and there's a lot of merit to it; however, there are other options out here that I believe are better than the HD91. I suspect that we'll very soon have a number of laser and LED projectors available at or below $5,000 that will satisfy your needs. I presently own several projectors, one of which is a non lamp based 1080p 2D/3D DLP projector that I use for everyday general use. It's built like a tank, has a great lens shift system, is constantly on and off all day long and has racked up more hours in a couple of months than several of my other projectors have accumulated in several years of use. It's as close to plug and play as I've seen yet and it produces ghost-free and clean 3D. I simply use it and forget about it -- it has become my go to display since it does the heavy lifting with ease and with no worries or complaints.

What model of projector are you talking about here?
post #1192 of 1227 Old 05-10-2014, 09:55 AM

My HD90 is delayed by US customs:

Shipment requires importer's registration/identification number for clearance. (Examples include EIN, SSN, VAT, GST, RFC, etc.)

Service FedEx International Economy
Dimensions 33x45x60 cms
Signature services Indirect signature required
Total shipment weight 22.2 lbs / 10.07 kgs

It went from Singapore to HI to CA.
I submitted the form to a fedex lady, but she went home for the weekend. So now its just sitting there waiting for stupid customs.
Just hope there wont be extra charges, we shall see.
post #1193 of 1227 Old 05-11-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

post #1194 of 1227 Old 05-11-2014, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

i'm interested to hear others perspective of the HK affect. After looking at it closely, I'm not on board. I guess the over-saturated color modes could be mistaken for brightness but imo the trained eye is just going to just see colors that are too hot.
post #1195 of 1227 Old 05-12-2014, 07:01 AM

Can anyone who tell me the distance between image border and the center of the projection lens on maximum vertical lens shift?
post #1196 of 1227 Old 05-12-2014, 12:03 PM

Liked: 12

Purchase:

I bought my Optoma HD90 in the D-NEXUS website. After the payment has been realized (transfer bank account, I contact D-NEXUS before to be sure that they have the product in store). I has been waiting for one week until they confirm the payment, and some emails asking for news (they answers and keep me aware about everything). After that, Fedex delivered my the projector in 3 days. In the other hand I has been lucky because this kind of product do not pay french customs duty.

Brief review:

The projector itself (the casing) look great. I has been owner of a Optoma HD300X (the black brother of the HD33). The image it is almost the same, of course better colors and contrast (without doubt)... but overall I do not seen huge improvements, same interpolation artifacts with pure motion, but nothing real real disturbing, I like the pure motion system.

The black levels, are in fact no so good, but like my HD300X, the function Dynamics Black doesn't work really.

The brightness output it is not high (when you have light pollution), it is more or less like the HD300X level (of course , in a dark room it is quite bright).

Its not heating at all... I have been owner of an Infocus ScreenPlay 4005 and the mentionned Optoma HD300X. During the winter, I used like heating when I saw films. And in the summer ... well... I was sweat. Now it is over, the HD90 do not heat at all, just like a Blu Ray player. And for me it is a real advantage.

But my real issue is the "Hum" sound from the LED lamp. Either if the fan noise level is quite low, the LED hum when the image required high light fluency, could be uncomfortable and annoying. After contact D-NEXUS , who put me in contacts with Optoma Taiwan. They told that it is normal, it is because this technology. Well I'm a plasma physicist. I know very well the origin of this kind of sound. And I still think this is a manufacture problem or low quality filters and electronics equipments.

Conclusion:

Despite the hum noise , I m  happy with my purchase, I hope to have a long life with great image quality lamp. But I think that there are better projector (as far as I understood from the review sites) at the same price level. As far as I concern a real price for this projector should be 2500€. I pay 2950€.

post #1197 of 1227 Old 05-13-2014, 09:55 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Open box HD-91 available at a great price. Call for details.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1198 of 1227 Old 05-22-2014, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question in regards to how to determine if there is enough vertical shift for my situation.

I have a 118" 16:9 screen. The lens would be about 8.5" above from the top of the screen. The maximum vertical shift is 60%.
I calculated that I need around 65%, unless I misread on where the the percentage starts, from the middle of the screen?
post #1199 of 1227 Old 05-22-2014, 07:46 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by ay221 View Post

I have a question in regards to how to determine if there is enough vertical shift for my situation.

I have a 118" 16:9 screen. The lens would be about 8.5" above from the top of the screen. The maximum vertical shift is 60%.
I calculated that I need around 65%, unless I misread on where the the percentage starts, from the middle of the screen?

What size screen are you looking to use?

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #1200 of 1227 Old 05-22-2014, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm not looking to buy until my current projector goes bad. I think a 118" would be too dim for this projector. Just really trying to learn how different companies specify their shift range differently and trying to interpret them. Not sure if a dlp has enough shift for my needs.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Optoma Hd91 Full Led 1080p Projector , Benq W1070 3d Ready Dlp Projector 1080p Hdtv , Optoma Hd25 Hd 3d Home Theater Projector , Optoma Hd25 Lv 3d Home Theater Projector , Sharp Vision Xvz 20000 Hd Dlp Front Projector , Marantz Vp 11s2 Dlp Projector , Mitsubishi Hc8000dbl Dlp 3d Home Theater Projector With Spare Lamp 1300 Ansi 12 6 Lbs , Mitsubishi Hc7800d Projector Full Hd 3d Projector , Optoma
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page