Sim2 ht300 died and considering Runco LS3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 120" diagonal Stewart Firehawk screen and about 20 foot throw distance.

Will the LS3 get the job done? I'm not an expert by any means and would appreciate some input from the experienced folks on here. I'm very happy with the LS3 price point, but a little concerned about it being outdated and that the spec sheet says 120" is the max.

Thanks!
Doc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 144
Yes, the stock lens will allow for such a throw. The image will be plenty bright as well considering the firehawk is a higher gain screen. Personally I love my Planar PD8150 (Runco LS-5). I've heard many people say the LS-3 is fantastic as well. The only difference from the LS-5 is the use of a DC2 DLP chip versus the DC3 DLP chip used in the LS-5. You lose out on ~20% better contrast in the process but with the LS-3's excellent dynamic iris you still end up with great contast and black levels for a DLP unit. If you want to stick with DLP this is fantastic choice. Black levels won't be as good as JVC units but it still does very well for a DLP unit.
doctorg23 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Yes, the stock lens will allow for such a throw. The image will be plenty bright as well considering the firehawk is a higher gain screen. Personally I love my Planar PD8150 (Runco LS-5). I've heard many people say the LS-3 is fantastic as well. The only difference from the LS-5 is the use of a DC2 DLP chip versus the DC3 DLP chip used in the LS-5. You lose out on ~20% better contrast in the process but with the LS-3's excellent dynamic iris you still end up with great contast and black levels for a DLP unit. If you want to stick with DLP this is fantastic choice. Black levels won't be as good as JVC units but it still does very well for a DLP unit.

Thank you for the input. Why is it that this projector has been on the market since 2009 without much change? Is this typical? Can I find better/updated tech for a similar price today? Thanks again!,
post #4 of 6 Old 02-02-2013, 05:24 PM
AVS Special Member

For DLP the LS-3 and LS-5 are about as good as it gets in the under $10000 market. They have excellent optics for the price. They also use the older, larger, DLP DMDs (.95"), versus the smaller (.65") DLP DMD which almost every other under $10000 DLP machine uses these days. The older chip allows for better native contrast and because of it's size you typically get a sharper looking image compared to the smaller DMD. The smaller chip necessitates a better lens to get the same level of sharpness. Unfortunately those lenses cost a lot of money and in the under $10000 range of projectors there usually isn't enough money in the targeted production cost for such a lens. Therefore the lens quality typically suffers. These two Runco models also offer one of the BEST dynamic iris implementations on the market at any price point. They work essentially in an undetectable fashion. Many DLP units suffer from poor DI implementations and their irises are essentially unusable with real content such as movies because they are obvious and very noticeably when working (brightness pumping and many are late in to kick which only adds to their noticeability). Basically these bad DI's are a distraction, but with the DI on Runco it goes undetected and becomes a virtual transparency to aid the image with better contrast and black levels. The image processing is also excellent. It uses a tweaked version of the infamous Gennum GF9450. Overall it is an awesome package and that's why this projector is still on the market and selling the way it does.

So excellent, in fact, that many of the current LED projectors use the same internal design and processing (with the exception of the lamp and color wheel of course). Such projectors include the Runco Q750i and the Vivitek H9080FD. These are essentially the same unit with each manufacturer tweaking the software.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

For DLP the LS-3 and LS-5 are about as good as it gets in the under $10000 market. They have excellent optics for the price. They also use the older, larger, DLP DMDs (.95"), versus the smaller (.65") DLP DMD which almost every other under $10000 DLP machine uses these days. The older chip allows for better native contrast and because of it's size you typically get a sharper looking image compared to the smaller DMD. The smaller chip necessitates a better lens to get the same level of sharpness. Unfortunately those lenses cost a lot of money and in the under $10000 range of projectors there usually isn't enough money in the targeted production cost for such a lens. Therefore the lens quality typically suffers. These two Runco models also offer one of the BEST dynamic iris implementations on the market at any price point. They work essentially in an undetectable fashion. Many DLP units suffer from poor DI implementations and their irises are essentially unusable with real content such as movies because they are obvious and very noticeably when working (brightness pumping and many are late in to kick which only adds to their noticeability). Basically these bad DI's are a distraction, but with the DI on Runco it goes undetected and becomes a virtual transparency to aid the image with better contrast and black levels. The image processing is also excellent. It uses a tweaked version of the infamous Gennum GF9450. Overall it is an awesome package and that's why this projector is still on the market and selling the way it does.

So excellent, in fact, that many of the current LED projectors use the same internal design and processing (with the exception of the lamp and color wheel of course). Such projectors include the Runco Q750i and the Vivitek H9080FD. These are essentially the same unit with each manufacturer tweaking the software.

Sweet. Well, I can't wait to get the new projector set up then! Thank you for the detailed info.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-03-2013, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

No problem. There is a misconception around here that a newer projector will always be better than an older one. This is far from the case. There are many projectors that came out circa 2006/2007 that are still nicer that many released today. They cost a fortune back then but they had higher quality components in them, such as optics/lenses and cases/build quality. A lot of today's lower priced projectors come with huge compromises and they offer software features to try and trick you into thinking they are better projectors.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page