Jvc DLA RS 56/ RS 66 comparison - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 02-08-2013, 07:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
After my newly installed 56 was not able to be programmed with accurate lens memory positions, I was told that a replacement would be worked out. My set-up is a little unique; 140" 2.40:1 CIH Carada BW Masquerade system and new projector installed further back on my ceiling (dedicated, light controlled theater). The 56 would be replacing the very fine RS 35 from 3 years ago. The new projector performed perfectly, except for the memory function (would return offset to left every time, about 3 inches) not using an anamorphic lens was a choice based on what I had seen in several demos over the years of both methods. Was set on A lens, but realized that if necessary, I could always add that later. I'll admit that a new projector with 3 more years of development, 3D capability and the afore mentioned lens memory function were all factors in my decision. I spent a weekend calibrating to my taste (with DVE disc) and got all the settings just right. Picture looked wonderful. But when you blow- up something that big, several things become very apparent; first, the light output was better than expected and very bright. Noticeably brighter than my 35. Second, while the eshift 2 function works well, it does not work miracles. Nor does it seem to add artifacts, to me it makes everything smoother. Colors were fine (not my most important element) but putting on widescreen movie after widescreen movie, I wanted more resolution. If I had stayed with my 110" 16:9 it wouldn't have mattered, but with my replacement arriving soon I wondered if the RS 66 would make a difference. Long story short. Wow! I now own it, will spend a long time paying for it, but to me, it is absolutely worth every penny. Just as bright. Darker and lighter at the same time, but the capper is the extra resolution provided with better lenses due to only using best parts. It somehow produces enough extra detail to make everything look that extra bit sharper. I went back and watched all the usual Blu-Rays that I had with the 56, and the difference is very noticeable. Edges are more refined. The picture seems effortless, like it should cost about a third of what it does. Anyone considering the size of screen I now have, especially coming from a smaller screen, you will not be disappointed. ISF calibration will be at the end of the month, and I reserve my final judgements until then, but this is a winner for me. Oh, and did I mention I used to own a Sony G70 CRT , this gets as close to that level of blackout I have seen so far. And the 3D is quite good. Yes, occasional crosstalk noted on titles and various times during certain discs, but it is very well done. The glasses that were included work a smidgen better than the Panasonics I got on sale. Anyway, for anyone looking for a great projector, either of these are excellent, but the 66 is king, at least until 4K, or thereabouts. Just my personal opinions, please take them with the grain of salt that they were intended and I'll report after my calibration. Many thanks to Jeff at TheaterExtreme Richmond for all his help, they are wonderful people who get my obsession for a great home theater experience. If you live in mid-Atlantic region I highly recommend them. Very happy now. Hope this helps anyone looking for this kind of setup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-10-2013, 04:14 PM
AVS Club Gold

Congrats on the RS66 !
I too am a former RS35 owner, and have an RS65 since mid last year.
I just installed a new Da-Lite HiPower 58 x 136" scope screen, and am very happy with the big-screen WOW factor.
I run it on high lamp, with aperture at -12. So yeah, they are plenty bright.

I also highly recommend a Darbee Darblet.
To me it is money very well spent, especially on such a large screen where resolution gets "diluted".

- Andy
post #3 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter

Every time I watch my new setup, something amazes me. After doing some reading on the Oppo 103 ( which I got specifically for speed and 3d ) there had been reports of slight softness; some recommend pushing sharpness control to +1. Well, what a difference. Everything pops as it should. I'm wary of making changes to anything, but this helped without adding anything unwanted from what I can see. Watched Goldfinger on Saturday and have Never seen like this. It simply sparkled. The detail and black level refinement combine to produce a better experience than I've ever had with it, and I've watched it a thousand times. I don't remember it being any better when I caught it in the theater many years ago. Stunning. Last night I checked out The Amazing Spiderman and For Your Eyes Only both zoomed to 140" glory. Wow all I can say is wow. Spiderman looked a bit dark on my 35, now it seems right. Yes it looks digital and not much like film, but wonderful detail and color. The Bond movie was bright clear and never unpleasant even with early 80's film stock. Thank god my favorite Bond's have good transfers. Overall, I can't go back. This is the best one can likely attain without mega-buck projectors that would still never quite be as good in black level. Zooming (via the lens memory) provides me the cinema experience I have been searching for for a long time. CIH, in home with a very wide-screen and automated masking rivals anything I've seen.i just love it.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
I second the comments on the 66. I also received mine this weekend...it replaced an RS20 that I thought looked fabulous. The 20 simply does not compare with the picture the 66 puts out. Very noticeable jump in brightness. I also have a large 2.35:1 screen (130" Seymour Center Stage XD). With the RS20, I had to run on high lamp when zoomed in to be even close to happy with the brightness. With the 66, I am on low lamp with -8 Iris and it looks great. Blinding whites and inky blacks. The extra resolution from the E-Shift also makes a big difference...I can see screen texture far before any pixel definition.

I was also impressed by the 3D, even though that was not even in the top 5 reasons I upgraded. While it takes 10 minutes or so with the glasses for my eyes to stop seeing flicker, the overall experience is very good. Better than the theaters by far. The interesting thing tho is that I prefer the Panasonic 3D glasses to the JVC version and they are $130 cheaper. I also got some $20 Samsung glasses for the second row folks...darker but they still work well and they were $20. smile.gif

I also bought the Spyder4Elite and did the auto-calibration and was impressed with the results. I will likely have an ISF calibration in the future, but the auto calibration did a good enough job that I am not in any hurry.

I got the Darblet at the same time and installed it but I have not really played with it enough to see what kind of difference it makes...been too busy watching movies. I'll play around with it this weekend tho.

This is by far the best projector I have ever owned (the RS20 was when I bought it smile.gif). Hard to imagine things getting better, but I know they will.

Shan
GGtheater likes this.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs66 , Jvc Dla X75r , Oppo Bdp 103 3d Blu Ray Player , Darbeevision Darblet Hdmi Video Processor

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page