New theater build, new screen, new projector.........so many options - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hello all,

I am in the process of a completely renovating my current theater setup. In the process of doing, so I decided to go with a DIY AT Seymour screen. Originally, my screen was only going to be approx. 96" wide (109" Diagonal) with the center channel behind the screen and the left and right on either side.

Well, my ideas have evolved into a much larger curved 2.35:1 AT screen (120" wide). I currently have a Epson 8100 and am looking to upgrade given the fact that I will be using an anamorphic lense and the quality light output is questionable at this increased size.

I have been doing my best to try and read up on whats currently going on but just do not have the time to dig into it like I usually do. There are so many models coming out that its hard to keep up with so I figured I'd create a thread and get some collective opinions. biggrin.gif.

I am allotting 2000.00 to 3000.00 for this purchase. I am mostly interested in picture quality and performance (blacks, sharpness and color accuracy). I have not totally committed to 3D yet but should consider this option as I will eventually make the conversion. I really don't mind buying used if there is a higher value and better performance in an older projector model.

As of now, my viewing distance is approx. 12' and my throw ratio/distance is very flexible as I have not determined the final mount location yet in my room (My room is 20' long).

After trolling the forums and projector reviews a little bit, I have been able to read up on a few models. Here are a few I was looking at and a quick blip of what I was reading about them:

JVC RS-45 (great blacks but ghosting and lag for gaming)
BenQ W7000 (bright but colors tend to be slightly inaccurate)
Epson Pro Cinema 6010 (bright-good 3d performance, flexibility)
Sony VPL-HW30ES (most accurate color reproduction out of the box)
Panasonic PT-AE8000

I planned on using a paramorph uh480 A-lens or equivalent with this setup as well!!!

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 07:11 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by orcarola25 View Post

Hello all,

I am in the process of a completely renovating my current theater setup. In the process of doing, so I decided to go with a DIY AT Seymour screen. Originally, my screen was only going to be approx. 96" wide (109" Diagonal) with the center channel behind the screen and the left and right on either side.

Well, my ideas have evolved into a much larger curved 2.35:1 AT screen (120" wide). I currently have a Epson 8100 and am looking to upgrade given the fact that I will be using an anamorphic lense and the quality light output is questionable at this increased size.

I have been doing my best to try and read up on whats currently going on but just do not have the time to dig into it like I usually do. There are so many models coming out that its hard to keep up with so I figured I'd create a thread and get some collective opinions. biggrin.gif.

I am allotting 2000.00 to 3000.00 for this purchase. I am mostly interested in picture quality and performance (blacks, sharpness and color accuracy). I have not totally committed to 3D yet but should consider this option as I will eventually make the conversion. I really don't mind buying used if there is a higher value and better performance in an older projector model.

As of now, my viewing distance is approx. 12' and my throw ratio/distance is very flexible as I have not determined the final mount location yet in my room (My room is 20' long).

After trolling the forums and projector reviews a little bit, I have been able to read up on a few models. Here are a few I was looking at and a quick blip of what I was reading about them:

JVC RS-45 (great blacks but ghosting and lag for gaming)
BenQ W7000 (bright but colors tend to be slightly inaccurate)
Epson Pro Cinema 6010 (bright-good 3d performance, flexibility)
Sony VPL-HW30ES (most accurate color reproduction out of the box)
Panasonic PT-AE8000

I planned on using a paramorph uh480 A-lens or equivalent with this setup as well!!!

Thanks in advance

Set you a PM. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com
Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/ 
Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #3 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 08:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Out of the projectors in your price range I would definitely go with the JVC RS45. It's all around performance is staggering compared to the others posted here. The others have a specific strength but the JVC is the most well rounded of the bunch.

It isn't clear from your post, do you already have the anamorphic lens or were you thinking of adding that to your upgrade? With the JVC you can use the lens memory feature without the need for an add on anamorphic lens. This will save you money and keep some extra sharpness you would lose with all but the nicest anamorphic lenses.
post #4 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Out of the projectors in your price range I would definitely go with the JVC RS45. It's all around performance is staggering compared to the others posted here. The others have a specific strength but the JVC is the most well rounded of the bunch.

It isn't clear from your post, do you already have the anamorphic lens or were you thinking of adding that to your upgrade? With the JVC you can use the lens memory feature without the need for an add on anamorphic lens. This will save you money and keep some extra sharpness you would lose with all but the nicest anamorphic lenses.

I do not currently have an anamorphic lense. I am pretty much starting from the ground up. I was reading about the lens memory on the JVC. Am I assuming correctly that most projectors in this price range have zoom characteristics but do not have a motorized lens for quick and easy adjustment. It would be great to bypass an A-lens if I could. I was reading about barrel distortion without one on a curved screen without one.

I had a concern about zooming all together because of the interpolation of pixels in resizing to constant height but opinions sway both ways as far as the best way to go. Some say they see no problems with zooming. Others say a good a-lens will be a cleaner option. Personally, when it gets to the point of chasing hairs, you have to stop somewhere. So if picture degradation is minuscule with zooming, I am all for it at this point.
post #5 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 09:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Unless you plan on buying a very nice anamorphic lens zooming will yield the least amount of degradation. Zooming will eat up more lumens though.
post #6 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 27
I have a JVC RS40 with a Panamorph UH480 and did the zoom method before. Having done both I prefer the anamorphically lensed image. I do get a little bit brighter image and picture appears smoother using lens without losing sharpness. The lens also allows me to have a bigger 2.35 screen than I could have without the lens. The only negative of the lens is that I do get a little pincushion/barrel distortion which is because of my short throw distance. I got a great deal on a B-stock UH480 and it was easily worth it for my setup. Since you have room for a longer throw the barrel distortion would be minimized using an anamorphic lens but it also will probably let you zoom to the screen size you want. I say if you can find a great deal on a UH480 then get it but if not just zoom and depending on screen gain use high lamp if you need it.

I use to always use DLP projectors but after seeing the black levels of a JVC, it will always be my movie projector until something better comes along.

Mike

The Mayans were full of sh*t!!!
post #7 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 10:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

I have a JVC RS40 with a Panamorph UH480 and did the zoom method before. Having done both I prefer the anamorphically lensed image. I do get a little bit brighter image and picture appears smoother using lens without losing sharpness. The lens also allows me to have a bigger 2.35 screen than I could have without the lens. The only negative of the lens is that I do get a little pincushion/barrel distortion which is because of my short throw distance. I got a great deal on a B-stock UH480 and it was easily worth it for my setup. Since you have room for a longer throw the barrel distortion would be minimized using an anamorphic lens but it also will probably let you zoom to the screen size you want. I say if you can find a great deal on a UH480 then get it but if not just zoom and depending on screen gain use high lamp if you need it.

I use to always use DLP projectors but after seeing the black levels of a JVC, it will always be my movie projector until something better comes along.

Mike
what size screen do you have and what's your throw distance?
post #8 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

I was wondering the same thing. To me, it comes down to whether or not the RS45 will output enough light to be able to zoom and support a 120" wide 2.35:1 AT screen (1.2 gain) in my case.

After futher research, the BenQ is out. Apparently the W7000 has had some quality issues.

As far as I know, the three viable options for my application would be the Sony HW30 (or 50 but pushing the price range), Epson 5010 or 6010, and the JVC RS45. The way I see it, over 80% of my movie library is 2D content. By the time 3D becomes more standardized, I probably will be looking into another option anyways. I am definitely looking for better 2D performance.
post #9 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 08:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blee0120 View Post

Screen is a 2.35 115" wide which is 125" diagonal and my throw distance is around 13 feet.

Mike

post #10 of 18 Old 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I was wondering the same thing. To me, it comes down to whether or not the RS45 will output enough light to be able to zoom and support a 120" wide 2.35:1 AT screen (1.2 gain) in my case.

After futher research, the BenQ is out. Apparently the W7000 has had some quality issues.

As far as I know, the three viable options for my application would be the Sony HW30 (or 50 but pushing the price range), Epson 5010 or 6010, and the JVC RS45. The way I see it, over 80% of my movie library is 2D content. By the time 3D becomes more standardized, I probably will be looking into another option anyways. I am definitely looking for better 2D performance.

The gain on my screen is listed as 1.5 but it was reported that it is actually closer to 1.2. I usually have my iris at -7 on low lamp and with 300 hours on my current lamp image is bright enough but as lamp ages I can definitely see myself using high lamp. I do like a bright image and have compared high lamp vs low lamp with anamorphic lens and have left it on low lamp for now but for zooming you might want to use high lamp all the time on image as big as yours.

Mike

post #11 of 18 Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbw23air View Post

Mike

The new JVC projectors have an adjustment for pincushion or barrel distortion. See page 57 of the owner's manual. I know you have the RS45, but since the OPer is thinking about a new projector and an A-lens, thought this might be info he could use.

Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #12 of 18 Old 02-13-2013, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

The new JVC projectors have an adjustment for pincushion or barrel distortion. See page 57 of the owner's manual. I know you have the RS45, but since the OPer is thinking about a new projector and an A-lens, thought this might be info he could use.

Mike,

That is good to know. I actually have a RS40 but look forward to see what JVC comes out with this fall.

Thanks,
Mike

post #13 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Been a while since I posted in this thread but I have been doing a lot of reading trying to dwindle down my projector choices.

I am debating on the:
Sony HW50ES and the JVC RS46

I do not have many worries pulling the trigger on either other then the light output of the JVC. My screen size ended up being 130" diagonal and I was wondering if the JVC would provide a bright (and punchy) enough picture for my screen size. I have Seymour XD 1.2 gain AT fabric. I have great light control in the room as it is a dedicated theater with no windows. The entire screen wall is painted flat black as well.

From what I am reading, the Sony's light output really aids in supporting larger (lower gain) screens. On the other hand, I can get the JVC much cheaper then the Sony. Would an extra 800.00 be worth it for my application.

I am not setup for 3D yet so the majority of my viewing is blueray movies. I do want to start watching sports and such in the room after the renovation is complete. Gaming will probably be very limited.

Any thoughts???
post #14 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 05:25 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:

Been a while since I posted in this thread but I have been doing a lot of reading trying to dwindle down my projector choices.

I am debating on the:

I do not have many worries pulling the trigger on either other then the light output of the JVC. My screen size ended up being 130" diagonal and I was wondering if the JVC would provide a bright (and punchy) enough picture for my screen size. I have Seymour XD 1.2 gain AT fabric. I have great light control in the room as it is a dedicated theater with no windows. The entire screen wall is painted flat black as well.

From what I am reading, the Sony's light output really aids in supporting larger (lower gain) screens. On the other hand, I can get the JVC much cheaper then the Sony. Would an extra 800.00 be worth it for my application.

I am not setup for 3D yet so the majority of my viewing is blueray movies. I do want to start watching sports and such in the room after the renovation is complete. Gaming will probably be very limited.

Any thoughts???

When calculating gain on your screen, I would use 1.0, not 1.2. If you do not have a Darbee, With the Sony you have Reality Creation. Though I would probably use the Darbee with the Sony also.

post #15 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

When calculating gain on your screen, I would use 1.0, not 1.2. If you do not have a Darbee, With the Sony you have Reality Creation. Though I would probably use the Darbee with the Sony also.

I am assuming that specific AT fabric has been individually tested at closer to 1.0 gain?
post #16 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am assuming that specific AT fabric has been individually tested at closer to 1.0 gain?

Take a look at this:

http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

That is a great reference on what to expect from almost all the popular screen materials people buy. The AT screen materials are on the second half of the report.
post #17 of 18 Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seegs108 View Post

Take a look at this:

http://accucalhd.com/documents/accucal_front_projection_screen_report.pdf

That is a great reference on what to expect from almost all the popular screen materials people buy. The AT screen materials are on the second half of the report.

Great link, thanks.
post #18 of 18 Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

I am debating on the:

Any thoughts???

I have a JVC 4810, which has a similar light output as the RS46. I'm currently using it with a 2.35:1 120" wide screen using the Seymour XD materia,l and it is definetly bright enough for that size screen. I use an A lens with the projector, but I have tried it using zoom and the memory function to fill the the scope screen, and I had to put the iris at -15 to tame the brightness. The lamp is still pretty new though, and doesn't have many hours on it yet, but I think opening up the iris later on down the road will take care of that. Image brightness is very subjective though, what may be bright for one person may not be bright enough for another.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page