Projector set in NYC apt - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Hi,

I am considering installing a projector in my living room. Here in NYC, with land at such a premium, having a separate media room is a $1MM endeavor. Second, I would like to take back my living room and get rid of the plasma. The room specs are as follows. 13'x20'. I would be looking to have the screen at one end of the 20' foot run and the projector at the other. The projector would be at 8-10 ft and is very well located relative to my media closet (server, switch, etc) . The screen would be in front of a set of french doors that open up to the street (and down a couple flights) . These doors are the only source of natural direct light in the room. I would be looking for a screen that has acoustic pass through qualities. My A/V equipment today consists of a Meridian 861 v4 with the HDMI switch, Oppo player and Dune media streamer. Speakers are Salk SS8's and a corresponding center channel.

I am thinking a JVC DLA-RS4810U or DLA-X55R. They seem to be well regarded, stable and not crazy expensive. I should note, 3D has no appeal to me, but PQ is of great importance.

I am struggling with the screen, but I am thinking the automated Stewart Screen Luxus A with acoustic qualities, as their white paper makes a convincing argument for the their acoustic weave over a perforated screen. My initial thoughts were to put the screen as back as possible. However, according to the Projector Central screen calculator, assuming 16:9 screen with a 14' throw, I should get a 103" diagonal screen, 90" wide and 51" high.
Seems absolutely massive! Should block out any light from the window! How much will this screen weigh? Having done the math and seeing the size of the screen needed, I think it would be better to put all the speakers behind the screen, (move the screen forward a couple feet, as Stewart Screen says the speakers need to be at least 12" behind the screen).

With that, before I start hiring contractors and ripping our ceilings, I wanted to get some opinions or any input of things I am forgetting.

Priorities are
1) Ease of use.
2) picture quality
3) sound quality
4) if there is cheaper alternative to any of my choices that will do an "as good" job, I would love to hear about them!

Don't care about 3D

One other question, if I am running a 30 foot HDMI extension. Is it better to get a 30 foot HDMI cable or a cat 6e/cat 7 HDMI extender?

Any input would he greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 08:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 147
I would give AVS (sponsor of the forums) a phone call and discuss with them. I think they even do installations in the NYC area I assume.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

**Current Projector Calculator** --

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --

post #3 of 9 Old 02-24-2013, 08:56 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 50
Would hanging the screen on the long wall be an option? If you don't need to accomodate multiple rows of seating, having the screen on the long wall and placing a long sofa opposite it has a few advantages. Image quality is a bit better with non-AT screens and sound quality is also superior when your speakers aren't behind a screen. You could go a bit larger with the screen on the long wall (eg. 110" StudioTek 100) and the pj in a hush box above your seat. Using the long wall for the screen would allow you to space the surround speakers a little further away from your seat which may improve the acoustics. Functionally, it might be nice to not block the french doors with the screen & center channel speaker.

Monoprice's Redmere HDMI cables can easily accomodate your 30' length:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10255&cs_id=1025501&p_id=9170&seq=1&format=2
post #4 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 01:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yetis View Post

Hi,

...The screen would be in front of a set of french doors that open up to the street (and down a couple flights). These doors are the only source of natural direct light in the room.
...Should block out any light from the window!

You shouldn't rely on the projection screen to block light from your french doors. Even non-AT screen materials are translucent. Light hitting the back of the screen could ruin the image. If you plan on using the projector during the day, consider installing some blackout shades in front of the french doors.
Quote:
I wanted to get some opinions or any input of things I am forgetting.

Realize that the projector will light up your walls and ceiling, which in turn will reflect back onto your screen. If your walls or ceiling are lightly colored, and if you watch movies (as opposed to sports), you may want to consider screen material designed to reject ambient lighting. Stewart's material is called "Firehawk". DNP makes a retractable screen called "Supernova". SI is coming out with a retractable version of their "Black Diamond" screen.

Alex
post #5 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 12:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Many not AT screens can be ordered with an opaque backing so that light behind the screen won't shine through. Stewart offers this at no extra charge.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 06:17 PM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 402
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

Many not AT screens can be ordered with an opaque backing so that light behind the screen won't shine through. Stewart offers this at no extra charge.

So does Screen Excellence. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me:

Brands we sell: 

Call for B-stock projectors
Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI, Falcon & many more.
RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.
post #7 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 06:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 442
Brought to you by the once dynamic duo.

Mark Haflich

call me at: 240 876 2536
post #8 of 9 Old 02-25-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I didn't even know screens came with opaque backing redface.gif. Don't listen to me, listen to coderguy. Give Mike Garrett a call. biggrin.gif

Alex
post #9 of 9 Old 02-26-2013, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 14
Thank you everyone. I will reach out to AVS (thank you for the PM). I still need to do some research apparently. Need to determine what tradeoffs I can make, while still making the project "wife acceptable."

Couple things I would note. The french doors have multi layer window treatments. So with these closed, I think there would very little, if any light seeping in from the back onto the back of the screen.

The layout of the room does not lend itself to putting the speakers in front of the screen, unless the auto screen is right in front of the windows. The issue here is that it would make for a 20' throw, making the required screen MASSIVE based on the calculators on JVC's website. With that, there wouldn't be any room on the sides for the speakers and I think the installation of the screen (and the screen itself) would become very expensive.

I am not sure what one can do about the side walls. I don't think there is an option except to just live with it.

If one stuck to their stubborn guns and went with the BEST acoustically perforated automated screen, would that be the Stewart? What if any of these screens would minimize the reflected light from the walls?

Back to the drawing board
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page