AVS Library / Tool Rental Proposal - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 75
This is an idea that spun out of the Official JVC DLA-RS46 / DLA-X35 owners thread - http://www.avsforum.com/t/1442525/official-jvc-dla-rs46-dla-x35-owners-thread

I'm seeking feedback about what it might take to implement a member to member equipment loaning system similar to a library or tool rental. I know there are many people who would like to try out/compare a given piece of equipment and there are others who would be willing to loan them such equipment with the proper safety precautions to ensure that the equipment is safe and returned as agreed. AVS members helping other AVS members with tangible stuff and not just information and ideas...

Please offer your thoughts and help us work out the details to see if we can make this a reality.

Below are the posts that got this started if you are interested:
Quote:
Originally Posted by plissken99 View Post

For anyone who has the JVC RF glasses, a request.

I'm currently using the Samsung glasses with a high power screen, I only have one pair so far. I am thinking about switching to another screen. For this reason, and the fact that the JVC glasses might be more accurate, would it be possible for anyone with a pair of them to send to me to compare the Samsungs, I have screen samples of the screens I'm considering to note the effect the JVC have vs the Samsungs. I only need them for a day or two, I would try to send them back the day after I get them. I'll happily pay shipping both ways and insurance,as well as clean the glasses after use. Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterappleby View Post

This is a bit off topic but along the lines of what you are asking above. I've wondered about the possibility of having something like a community library where various items people have and would be willing to loan short term could be "checked out" by other AVS members in an arrangement similar to what you propose (shipping + insurance). I can think of several things where it would be great to try before you buy or where something may only be needed on occasion and the option to borrow vs buy would be nice. The 3D glasses you mention are a perfect example. A Darbee or Lumagen might be interesting to evaluate before purchasing to see if it makes enough difference in a particular setup. Also, I think sharing a colorimeter for calibration purposes makes a lot of sense. It's not something you need everyday but it would be nice to have access to one without having to spend the money for something that will sit on a shelf unused much of the time. It seems something like the AVS library could be of particular benefit to members who are not in the more densely "AVS member" populated areas where sharing opportunities might be easier to come by.

Full Disclosure: I freely admit that at this point in time I'm more in the "I'd like to borrow things" rather than the "I have things to share" category so I feel somewhat selfish even mentioning this but I thought I would post and see what others thought of the idea.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaotikr1 View Post

This is a good idea. Heck I have a Darbee, a Lumagen 3D, an OmniMic and some Video Calibration equipment that like you said, rarely gets used. The hard part is making sure someone doesn't walk off with your $1500 lumagen. As soon as someone decides to keep a piece of equipment, the whole thing would be of no use.

I think a better service overall would be a rental service that would require some sort of deposit that would of course vary depending on the value of the item. Less risk for everyone involved......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 210

Great idea, probably too hard to implement, though.

First hand experience: there's an i1 that never made it from Texas to NJ. Not a Lumagen, but I'm still out my meter (what am I going to do, sue the guy?).

I guess if I had a $100 deposit, I'd be okay. But then, what if the person doesn't send the deposit back?

Heck, I lent a BD to one of the people with whom I work. After a year and a half, he still has it. He knows it's mine, he just hasn't gotten around to it yet.

I think if a couple of people on the board get in touch with one another (which is what happened with my i1) and want to work something out, that would be okay. Perhaps you can design a section modeled after the classifieds; instead of "for sale/wanted" there would be "for rent/wanted." Could even set up e-bay style feedback. wink.gif

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #3 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 140
I know you probably don't want to hear it, but...

This would be a full-time job just handling all the packaging, inspection, shipping fulfillment, web site, disputes (there will be disputes), insurance claims, accounting, etc... How is someone going to get paid for such a service, etc...
It isn't going to happen. This is an attempted business, not something someone can do in their spare time. There are so many complications to this that it is almost not even worth mentioning.

There are companies that rent equipment, but they have an advantage as it is usually not their primary source of revenue and they are already setup as a business.

Person A send equipment device in, equipment comes back damage, an insurance claim must be filed, the proprietor or individual managing the service insurance will go up if too many claims (and there will be too many claims). The deposits would often end up being done on stolen CC's as a scam, and the proprietor of the service would not know it until later when the CC transaction is marked as fraud (30-90 days later). This entire business model being online would just attract scammers more than anything.

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #4 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 04:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my home theater ( when I'm not rock climbing, cycling or kayaking ) - Sacramento CA area
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 196
This could work at a regional A/V club level maybe. But this is of course what getting together with other AVS forum memebrs to check out and compare the latest gear is supposed to accomplish, eh??

Craig Peer, AV Science Sales. Direct Line - 585-671-2972
I'm available 8:30am - 4:30pm PST, Monday - Friday Email me at craig@avscience.com
http://shop.avscience.com/
Yes, we sell Home Theater gear right here at AVS !!
JVC, Sony, Epson, DPI, SV Sound, Martin Logan, RBH, Klipsch, and many more!
post #5 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 06:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 312
i lent a Bluray 3D disc to a AVS member who I sold a 1000ES while working for AV Science.

I don't think he ever watched it and he is probably too absent minded in his advancing senior years to remember I lent it to him. smile.gif Me? I can't even remember his name. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #6 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

i lent a Bluray 3D disc to a AVS member who I sold a 1000ES while working for AV Science.

I don't think he ever watched it and he is probably too absent minded in his advancing senior years to remember I lent it to him. smile.gif Me? I can't remember his name. smile.gif

It happens. smile.gif

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:03 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV Science Sales 5 View Post

It happens smile.gif

I did the same thing with a movie from Redbox. Forgot all about it. Now I own an expensive copy of a movie that was not that good.

Mike Garrett, AV Science Sales
Call Me: 585-671-2968
Email Me: Mike@AVScience.com

Brands we sell: http://avscience.com/brands/

Call for B-stock projectors

Stewart, Seymour, SE, SI & many more.
Klipsch, RBH, Martin Logan, Triad, Atlantic Technology, MK Sound, BG Radia, SVS & Def Tech.

post #8 of 9 Old 02-27-2013, 07:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 140
I own 2 Redbox movies at $37.50 each accidentally. A better idea might be ProjectorBox, you slide your debit card and out comes a projector :0
I'm sure they could use the same margins, if you don't return the projector within 2 weeks, you pay $4,500 for a budget Acer PJ smile.gif

Quick and Easy Shelf Mount Method for both one projector or dual stacks

Web Calculator v023 & v025
- Quick Peak at the new upcoming calculator
**Current Projector Calculator** -- http://www.eliteprojectorcalculator.com

Coder's Top Projector Picks of 2012 --http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread....

post #9 of 9 Old 02-28-2013, 12:42 PM

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Peer View Post

This could work at a regional A/V club level maybe. But this is of course what getting together with other AVS forum memebrs to check out and compare the latest gear is supposed to accomplish, eh??

Agreed. I would be hesitant to send any of my gear to a stranger without the knowledge & insurance that I would get it back in similar working condition or I would get a replacement. Now, I wouldn't have much hesitation about inviting people over to check out my setup without having to borrow out and disconnect my gear and hope if someone was nearby, would do the same if I wanted to check out what they had. But doing that is just not always convenient or even possible as it is difficult to find a nearby owner of what you want to look at at in the first place.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla Rs46 Projector

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page