What Happened to Epson's LCOS Projector? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2013, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Does anyone know the latest on Epson's variant of LCOS? Last I read from an article in Home Theater Magizine was that it was demoed at CEDIA 2011 with a claimed CR of 1,000,000.

Thanks

Jim Ed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2013, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Liked: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

Does anyone know the latest on Epson's variant of LCOS? Last I read from an article in Home Theater Magizine was that it was demoed at CEDIA 2011 with a claimed CR of 1,000,000.

Thanks

It appears they were not able to get high enough yeilds for their production of LCoS display chips to make them commercially viable. I have not heard if they have given up on this technology, or simply put it on the back burner and are now focusing their development efforts on other things, such as 4K display chips. Also the engineering model projector Epson showed back in 2011 was 2D only and there were questions if the response time of their LCoS chips was fast enoght to support active 3D. By the way the claimed 1,000,000:1 CR was with lhe use of a dynamic iris while the native CR appeared to be in the range of the better Sony LCoS projectors (e.g., VW95) or perhaps entry to mid-level JVC projectors. I did think that CR and black levels looked really good in the Epson demo at CEDIA Expo 2011.

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
So you actually got to see it.. Cool. I would love to go to CEDIA or CES someday..

Thanks for the update. I was wondering if it was close to being released or had been canned.

I am on the fence trying to decide if I should keep my EPSON 5020 or return it for a SONY 50ES, but I thought I might wait for the LCos Epson if it was about to be released. 3D is not a priority at all for me.

Thanks again.

Jim

Jim Ed
Old 03-01-2013, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimed1 View Post

Thanks

The whole sad story is detailed in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1362668/release-date-for-epson-home-cinema-61000-projector
Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 200 Post(s)
Liked: 344
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar1 View Post

The whole sad story is detailed in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1362668/release-date-for-epson-home-cinema-61000-projector

You would think Epson has the pockets/R&D to get the right product to market but so many years of promised delivery and then nothing. Seems odd? The last thing I remember from Epson, after the last fail was, IF, they brought it to market, would not be until at least Cedia 2013 or something like that - iirc. I really hope they can get this out as, back then, 50k to one native AND a good DI, with terrific motion handling, at an Epson price, sounded good to me. But JVC and Sony have gotten better and Epson is doing just fine with their LCD niche and price point.

My Dedicated Home Theater Room
Old 03-02-2013, 10:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCaboNow View Post

You would think Epson has the pockets/R&D to get the right product to market but so many years of promised delivery and then nothing.

LCOS is a tough not to crack; Intel tried and failed as well.

Noah