Is this a good deal JVC DLAX30? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 35
I stumbled into a custom home theater shop here in omaha today. I was fully convinced on getting the epson 5020, until the sales person there showed me a demo unit he had on sale. It is the JVC DLAX30b. He started talking about how much better a unit the JVC was compared to even the epson 6020 and demoed a blurry for me on it. I put down a deposit on it until I can do some research...

The unit has 496 hours in it and is priced at $2500.

I am comparing it against the epson 5020 to be used in a non dedicated space with plenty of light. I will be using it primarily for gaming on ps3 but also for sports and some bluray. The epson is 2599 most online vendors but comes with two pair of 3d glasses.

What should I do?

Thanks

"Damn, you can't get black levels like that on your projector!"
- My brother, just before he realized his LED display had died.

Link to my Basement build
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1529034/conspiracy-basement-build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 11:31 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked at ebay real quick under the sold tab and one with less hours and full warranty went for 2299 so it seems that this dealer isn't too far off but i'd offer 2k even.
post #3 of 10 Old 03-06-2013, 11:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 627 Post(s)
Liked: 589
That's a good idea. Expect the dealer to counter with $2799. Be sure to tell him thanks for the demo, I used you sucker then buy it on Ebay. Maybe he will be out of business next time you want a demo. Never ever pay more than the lowest Ebay or Amazon price no matter what service you got from a dealer. smile.gif

Mark Haflich
markhaflich@yahoo.com
call me at: 240 876 2536
post #4 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 AM

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

That's a good idea. Expect the dealer to counter with $2799. Be sure to tell him thanks for the demo, I used you sucker then buy it on Ebay. Maybe he will be out of business next time you want a demo. Never ever pay more than the lowest Ebay or Amazon price no matter what service you got from a dealer. smile.gif

Your keyboard must have a sarcasm button where everyone else has "return". lol.

To be fair, he _is_ talking about buying a used unit here, so I'm not sure your accusation of showroomming is entirely justified in this case.

On the other hand, I'd nevertheless advise the OP to go with the dealer's unit anyway as long as the price is reasonable, as unit-to-unit variability is no small thing, and being able to see and verify the quality of the particular specimen in person matters quite a lot. Plus, you have no idea how an Ebay seller has treated, or how carefully they will package and ship, the unit they are offering for sale. If you buy from the dealer and can just take the box and put it in your car, you'll know exactly what you're getting.
post #5 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 05:39 AM

Liked: 53
Although the unit has some hours on it and is used, if it is the dealer's demo it should still come with the full 2 year warranty. There's also another dealer selling their demo for $2539 with 4 pairs of glasses, the 3D emitter, a new bulb and ceiling mount. It does have more hours though almost 2000. While not a bargain I would say your dealer is giving a fair price.
post #6 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Thanks for the responses, even the completely sarcastic one.

After some research last night, based on the room it will be in and how I will be using it, I'm leaning back towards the Epson. Both have similar post calibrated lumens on cinema mode, but I will need the epsons brightness for sports and daytime viewing in a fully lit walkout basement.

I am going back to the showroom today to compare the 6020, I didn't see it last night. As far as I can tell the 5020 and the 6020 should give me the same PQ but the 6020 comes with the extended 3 year warranty...an extra bulb...a mount...and its black. I just have to decide whether or not the extra $1000 is worth those things.

post #7 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

Thanks for the responses, even the completely sarcastic one.

After some research last night, based on the room it will be in and how I will be using it, I'm leaning back towards the Epson. Both have similar post calibrated lumens on cinema mode, but I will need the epsons brightness for sports and daytime viewing in a fully lit walkout basement.

I am going back to the showroom today to compare the 6020, I didn't see it last night. As far as I can tell the 5020 and the 6020 should give me the same PQ but the 6020 comes with the extended 3 year warranty...an extra bulb...a mount...and its black. I just have to decide whether or not the extra $1000 is worth those things.

Did you consider the Panny 8000?
post #8 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I did until I read quite a few reviews. I really like the power zoom/focus on the panny but just about every review I stumble upon says the two are almost equal...but overall the nod goes to the Epson. I am trying to do this on a low budget because I can't really say what other expenses will come up with the new house...so the $400-600 price difference is signifcant enough for me to stick with the Epson.

post #9 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy* View Post

I did until I read quite a few reviews. I really like the power zoom/focus on the panny but just about every review I stumble upon says the two are almost equal...but overall the nod goes to the Epson. I am trying to do this on a low budget because I can't really say what other expenses will come up with the new house...so the $400-600 price difference is signifcant enough for me to stick with the Epson.

You mean between Panny and Epson? There shouldn't be any price difference between the 8000 and 5020 if you're talking about actual street prices (not MSRPs or MAPs).
post #10 of 10 Old 03-07-2013, 06:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 39
I like the Epson for that setup, but my concern would be the gaming lag. It might be noticeable on some FPS if that's your "game"? I think the 20 series has had some improvement over last years model, but you might want to look into that.
Reply Digital Hi-End Projectors - $3,000+ USD MSRP

Tags
Jvc Dla X30b 3d D Ila Projector , Epson 5020ub Powerlite Home Cinema 3d Front Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page