Problems with my new Sony VPL VW-1000ES projector... - Page 2 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I was told the same thing but obviously any ES2 packaging would indicate perhaps later software than was posted for the one with 1.02 and 1.04 rom designations for some of the chips. We still dont know what 1.03 and 1.07 designations for some of the chips actually did. Its the same ROMs of course but different software. I think it may have to do with automation changes.i taked about this earlier today in the other current 1000ES thread.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I wouldnt make much of the "es2" designation. Someone received an "es2" packaged replacement projector back in june
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1359018/sony-vpl-vw1000/2670#post_22102960

not sure what my new roms do that my old ones didn't. if anyone wants me to run some test i'd be happy to report back.

Alex
Old 03-12-2013, 09:12 PM
AVS Forum Addicted Member

Quoted: 1418 Post(s)
Liked: 1010
I think somewhere Sony planned on doing a new model and printed ES2 then decided to just make some running changes and do them without changing the ES designation. Nothing else would make any sense but I am open to any other explanation.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:17 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark haflich View Post

I think somewhere Sony planned on doing a new model and printed ES2 thenn decided to just make some running changes and do them without changing the ES designation. Nothing else would make any sense but I am open to any other explanation.

FWIW

I actully think mine was an ES3 ( and got the SW 1.07 version too in it )

dj
Old 03-16-2013, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
An update on the progress on the Sony issue. We used it several times this week and have not seen any of the jitter issues, however we did see lip sync issues two or three times that lasted a few seconds per event. So yesterday I had Magnolia rep come out, no longer called Geek Squad, to reprogram my MX-980 remote to work the new Oppo BDP-103 and of course the Sony. I also had the HVAC guy run a new fan for my equipment room.

So let the fun begin with taking the equipment room apart which means taking 250+ BR's off the shelf, pull the wall unit out, take off trim pieces and pull out some heavy MA racks. Pictures below show how much fun I was having, please excuse the bad Iphone photos.eek.gif

So as per the recommendations from others on this thread I changed the HDMI cables so the new Oppo had the HDMI that went directly to the Sony and took the short one and ran it to the D2V for sound. After watching two movies no sync or jitter issues so far, more testing today before I put the equipment room back in order.

If the problem occurs when I put the HDMI cables back the original way meaning everything goes to the D2V first then I guess I will have to call Anthem and see what ideas they can come up with. If I change the frame lock like someone suggested and it fixes one problem but causes another then I am afraid that will not cut it.

P.S. I am still smiling even with this issue.biggrin.gif The picture that I am getting is incredible! The color, light and detail that this Sony is imaging on my 150" screen is a site to behold...wink.gif
Old 03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Great news trek! And by the way, nice setup. Are those 601's i see powering your front channels, with a 302 powering your rears? You're clearly an audiophile getting the most from your D2V. I have a puny mca5 powering everything. Sometimes, i get so frustrated with my d2v i feel like throwing it out and getting a pioneer. Then my better angels intervene. I'm curious, is your D2v output configuration set to 1080p/60 or 1080p/24?

The output on the sony is, like you say, draw dropping. Do keep us posted on your progress.

Alex
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by work permit View Post

Great news trek! And by the way, nice setup. Are those 601's i see powering your front channels, with a 302 powering your rears? You're clearly an audiophile getting the most from your D2V. I have a puny mca5 powering everything. Sometimes, i get so frustrated with my d2v i feel like throwing it out and getting a pioneer. Then my better angels intervene. I'm curious, is your D2v output configuration set to 1080p/60 or 1080p/24?

The output on the sony is, like you say, draw dropping. Do keep us posted on your progress.

Alex,

Thanks for checking back in and helping with my sync issue.

Yes those are 601's for the front three and a MC452 for the surrounds.

Sorry that your D2V is giving you some issues. Mine for the most part was acting well behaved until this sync issue which I am still trying to pin point the culprit.

I will have to check to see how the D2V is setup in regards to the 1080p/60 or 1080p/24. Jeff Meier from AccuCal calibrated my room, and did a great job.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-17-2013, 06:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I personally found using the AVS HD calibration disk very useful in tracing down alot of problems, including my "jitter/jump" problem. On that disk, under "misc patterns", are two test patterns: a scrolling 1080p/24 pattern and a scrolling 1080i/60 pattern. With the test pattern, you can immediately see jitter or jump issues, and what settings on your display or receiver fixes them. The disk can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. You may want to take a look at it before reassembling your set up.

Alex
Old 03-17-2013, 09:16 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

I forgot to mention, I assume you have "film mode" turned off on the sony. That's the first thing I did to solve my jitter issue, and its referenced in the main vw1000es thread.

Alex
Old 03-18-2013, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

I personally found using the AVS HD calibration disk very useful in tracing down alot of problems, including my "jitter/jump" problem. On that disk, under "misc patterns", are two test patterns: a scrolling 1080p/24 pattern and a scrolling 1080i/60 pattern. With the test pattern, you can immediately see jitter or jump issues, and what settings on your display or receiver fixes them. The disk can be found here: http://www.avsforum.com/t/948496/avs-hd-709-blu-ray-mp4-calibration. You may want to take a look at it before reassembling your set up.

Quote:

I forgot to mention, I assume you have "film mode" turned off on the sony. That's the first thing I did to solve my jitter issue, and its referenced in the main vw1000es thread.

Alex,

Thanks for the above information. I have not checked to see if the "film mode" is turned off on the Sony or not. It is still at the factory settings so this is the first thing I will check. Hopefully that will be the issue and an easy fix, however I am usually never that lucky.

We have watched three movies this weekend and we had no jitter or lip sync issues with the HDMI going straight from the Oppo BR player to the projector.

On another note I worked on rebuilding the trap door for under the projector. I am trying to decide if I need to have a cutout on the trap door that would allow more air to enter by the bottom intakes on the Sony or is the lens hole going to be sufficient.

Thanks again,

Jim
Old 03-18-2013, 04:32 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 488
I actually just saw this thread. I have used a ton of different components with my 1000 and I will say the only time I ever had a lip sync moment hit was when I started using my 103. Oppo quickly released a firmware which resolved it. I have not had a problem since. Also, do you recall which Blu rays had the stutter issue? Haven't seen it but doesn't mean I could have missed it. I will say even my DirecTV goes thru my 103. Of course we haven't watched TV down there since the Superbowl.

smile.gif

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
Old 03-18-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod View Post

I actually just saw this thread. I have used a ton of different components with my 1000 and I will say the only time I ever had a lip sync moment hit was when I started using my 103. Oppo quickly released a firmware which resolved it. I have not had a problem since. Also, do you recall which Blu rays had the stutter issue? Haven't seen it but doesn't mean I could have missed it. I will say even my DirecTV goes thru my 103. Of course we haven't watched TV down there since the Superbowl.

smile.gif

I had the problem with Direct tv and my older Oppo BDP-83. Both units had HDMI cables that ran to the D2V then a HDMI from the D2V to the projector. I upgraded to the Oppo BDP-103 on Friday and at that time we ran the HDMI from the Oppo to the Sony with no issues for the entire weekend. Tomorrow it all goes back to normal and we will see what happens. I will change the Film Mode setting on the Sony and take it from there.

Thanks for sharing your experience with your 103 and I will keep that in mind.

Cheers,

Jim
Old 03-19-2013, 02:55 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 186
Quote:

How far off was your convergence? Mine needs 4-7 ticks. Is that alot?

One was like 4-6 and the other was over 10
Old 03-20-2013, 12:08 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 589 Post(s)
Liked: 186
The Hobbit looked absolutely amazing on the 1000! Clean and free from noise/artifacts.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:25 AM
AVS Forum Club Gold

Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked: 488
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiovideoholic View Post

The Hobbit looked absolutely amazing on the 1000! Clean and free from noise/artifacts.

3D or 2D or both?

My Sony 5000ES Review PART 2 FINISHED:
http://hstrial-jrodriguez996.homeste...=1462841668379
Old 03-24-2013, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Watched several movies this week end with the new Oppo. No signs of lip sync or jitter issues. Hopefully it is all resolved...biggrin.gif

Even watched a little 3D action and was pleasantly surprised on the image the Sony 1000ES provided.
Old 03-24-2013, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 81
@Trek737

It looks like we made a similar upgrade.
I have a Panasonic Ae2000 and made the move to the Sony4K.

I could not tell which model of the Ae series you have from the photo you showed.

As much as I love the Sony I also came to realize what a great machine the Panny is.
It more than holds it's own to the Sony.

The Sony is so brutally sharp that some material(especially older films with a heavy grain structure or with optical effects) actually break down under the intense scrutiny of 4K resolution(Take a look at the likes of the Godfather,Taxi Driver,Close Encounters ect).
In my opinion the Panny handles the above material much better by using the "less is more" approach.
And while the Panny never had the greatest blacks or the most accurate color space it more than compensates with excellent gradations and hues.

Don't abandon the Panny just yet!
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks... I will probably still sell it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
Sony Vpl Vw1000es Projector